• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

I'm not sure why they're bothering to make the screen larger.
And I would assume any redesign will no longer be OLED. It simply isn't worth the cost, consumers do not care and they need to get the price down if they want to at least make it into a highly niche product with limited but steady sales rather than a dying gasping for breath product that retailers simply aren't going to want to waste space on.

Sintoid

Does this mean sub-native resolution titles such as Uncharted or Gravity Rush would look even worse than they do on Vita ie terrible?

Seriously.

The same we could say for Luigi's Mansion on 3DSXL... but no complains about that right?

Seriously...

Danneee

I'm not sure why they're bothering to make the screen larger.
And I would assume any redesign will no longer be OLED. It simply isn't worth the cost, consumers do not care and they need to get the price down if they want to at least make it into a highly niche product with limited but steady sales rather than a dying gasping for breath product that retailers simply aren't going to want to waste space on.

What? I'd rather have a good bigger screen than a small OLED screen and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
A large screen would differentiate it more from the Vita/PSP designs too and could attract more buyers.

Maybe it'll look like this

WiiU_NintendoTVii_Screen_09_gamepad.jpg

What? I'd rather have a good bigger screen than a small OLED screen and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
A large screen would differentiate it more from the Vita/PSP designs too and could attract more buyers.
I'm not saying there should be a smaller OLED screen...

I simply don't see the point of a larger LCD screen, as opposed to simply the same size LCD screen as there is currently.

The only thing that's going to attract more buyers is a lower price. I don't think a larger screen helps with that.

Mr Swine

Banned
So how much would they drop the price for the original vita? $149 or would that be to costly for Sony? will vita 2.0 have memory built in?

RalchAC

If the redesign happens there probably will be a TV Out, I remember a post on neogaf talking about it sometime ago. Micro SD will probably never happen though sadly. :(

I quite don't get why people is soooo insistent with the TV out thing. If games would look uglier in the 6,3" screen. Why look at them in a 40" TV?

I only see it useful if remote play is actually good so you can make it a remote PS4 hardware. You connect it to the TV and use your Dualshock for playing while the Vita is streaming everything. And, even in that case, I imagine that the remote-play streaming won't be at 720-1080p so it won't be such a good deal.

LAA

Hmmmmm
If it isnt too much after trading in my original Vita, may go for this...
Depends how it looks too though. Pretty happy with how my Vita is quality wise atm.

Sandfox

It's as portable as a tablet.

People may carry tablets around but I doubt you would see too many people carrying this thing around given how its pretty much only useful for playing games. I myself prefer my handhelds to fit in my pocket and if I'm going to carry around something that big I would just use my tablet.

Hedja

The Vita needs a smaller screen and larger controls. It feels cramped using it and using the touch screen is just. switching between them is annoying.

The biggest problem however is the proprietor memory cards being up to 4 times the price of regular SD cards.

demolitio

I don't understand why they'd make the screen that large with the same resolution though.

I hope there's not too much to this because it'd suck to be one of the few people that supported the Vita and to then have the older model already when it hasn't been long.

Am I the only that cares about the OLED screen too? It's absolutely stunning to watch an HD movie trailer on and it actually impressed my uncle quite a bit who always wants to spend a million dollars on the best looking TV. If they went to LCD, they'd really have to make it impressive enough for me to even think of leaving the OLED.

I guess it really depends on what else it brings to the table. I just wish we had some more apps for it to expand its functionality. I want to be able to redeem my digital copies of bluray movies and easily watch high quality copies on there.

Sintoid

People have been complaining forever about it, where in the world have you been?

I've been here reading of 3DSXL users that were enthusiast about how the games looked even more defined with the new screen... come on read all the opinions not just the one you need

Durante

Am I the only that cares about the OLED screen too?
Absolutely not, it's probably the best thing about the Vita. I wish I could do all my gaming on OLED screens.

The same we could say for Luigi's Mansion on 3DSXL... but no complains about that right?

Seriously...
It seems almost redundant to complain about that -- 3DS games have terrible IQ anyway. And people do complain from time to time.

I seriously doubt this, 6.3 is the size of the Wii U gamepad screen, in other words, this thing would be a gigantic brick. It wouldn't really be a portable system anymore, it barely is now.

demolitio

Absolutely not, it's probably the best thing about the Vita. I wish I could do all my gaming on OLED screens.

It seems almost redundant to complain about that -- 3DS games have terrible IQ anyway. And people do complain from time to time.

Thank God. I think it's one of the best things about the hardware too and it's something even non-gamers have recognized as being incredibly impressive. I can't wait to see what PS4 games look like on there too.

Like I said though, I just wish they'd add more apps to improve its multimedia use. Let me redeem digital copies and easily watch them on that beautiful screen and I'd be even happier.

Yaqoub

2009:
PSPgo
PS3 Slim

2011:
PSP Street (Europe)
PSVita (Japan)

2012:
PSVita (North America and Europe)
PS3 Super Slim

This coud be a Japan-only model that they hope expands the potential Vita owner base, rather than replaces or competes with the existing model. It doesn't seem like the 3DS XL is taking away 3DS vanilla sales in that region so I can kind of see the logic. But if it's a Japan-only unit where's the UMD drive? Haha.

Good point, though PS4 is new hardware, not a revision so could be different this time around?

IrishNinja

Aren't the digital games mostly ports of stuff you can get on the pc or mobiles?

well, at a glance, there's Uncharted: GA, Gravity Daze (haven't even played it yet), and VLR:, though i play more stuff that's ported like Metal Slug XX, Jet Grind, Katamari

honestly for me if plus was just PSP and PS1 titles i'd still be happy, some good releases here (though the system could use more + a price drop, natch)

I think Sony needs to bump the ram and GPU. This would make the vita more tablet like. Hopefully some sort of dual boot system with Android 4.2. That would be a killer device. Full dedicated gaming machine on the go and full scale android tablet experience. This is much more marketable than a strictly dedicated gaming device.

Floex

I'm not buying another one tha's been sitting in the draw for half a year only to be neglected once again. So are we assuming the PSVita is going to be jank when using the PS4?

Frodo

Not that I think this will happen, but Sony has a product people are not very interested in. Are they going to put a bigger screen and hope people will buy it? If with all the changes the price is lower I guess it makes a little bit more sense. But the screen size is obviously not the problem with the Vita, and I would like to see how the games that run in sub native resolution will look on a bigger screen.

Now, if this is a relaunch and Sony is planning to release major exclusive titles along a redesign...

well, at a glance, there's Uncharted: GA, Gravity Daze (haven't even played it yet), and VLR:, though i play more stuff that's ported like Metal Slug XX, Jet Grind, Katamari

honestly for me if plus was just PSP and PS1 titles i'd still be happy, some good releases here (though the system could use more + a price drop, natch)

That's kind of the point though. When people say the vita "has no games" they're talking about original content. I ripped all my psx games years ago, and rip my psp games as an ongoing process. I have zero interest in buying/renting them again just to play on the Vita, since I can play those on pc, my pandora & my mobile(and the original consoles if I wasn't worried about wearing out the discs).

Gravity Rush, a version of VLR that doesn't kill saved games, P4G, Disgaea 3 & Danganronpa are the main reasons I'm seriously considering getting a Vita, but of those games one was released on a competing platform and three are enhanced ports of games available on older platforms.

repeater

I don't know, but just like people have pointed out above that Vita owners generally haven't been begging for a bigger screen, I don't think I've heard ANYONE EVER say "Yeah, the Vita is pretty nice but I wish it could do better multitasking with apps". The multitasking capabilities are fine for a gaming device, certainly beats any gaming-focused product currently on the market by Nintendo and Microsoft (I haven't tried the Wii U but the OS is typically reported to be sluggish). This seems like a fairly pointless revision unless they're also able to bring the price down a substantial bit. The best revision would be one to allow non-proprietary SD cards (which I don't think is going to happen because the memory card prices are Sony's way of mitigating the low price of the Vita itself), but lacking that, a bit of internal storage (4 GB?) would be nice. At it is right now, it isn't even possible to play a large part of the Vita's software library on your newly bought Vita unless you also bought a memory card, which is beyond stupid and rightly pisses a lot of people of.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The one thing I've never thought is 'hey I wish I could run more apps in the background. If only my vita had more ram that couldn't be used by games'

Really odd. It doesn't even have that many apps as it is. Unless they're going for an android/vita hybrid phablet thing?

I'd take a bigger screen though. My vita is mostly used at home or carried in a bag, so portability isn't a big issue

Top Bottom