• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

shaowebb

Okay...I bought a Japanese 3ds and Culdcept 3ds. I used the QR code here to take me to the update DLC page

However since this was made things have changed. It takes me to an area of the eshop with all the version updates for everything. I found Culdcept 3ds on page 9. Clicking it takes me to a text filled page with only one option. I click it, then I can either click the left button which closes it or the one on the right. The one on the right acts like it takes me to something, has some sort of message to confirm and then I'm right back on page 1 of the version update area of the eshop.

I turned on culdcept 3ds but where it should say version 1.1 on the main menu does not. I need this update because I believe it is tied to how I get the dlc cards and stages.

Anyone able to help me get that culdcept DLC?
If it matters I have not setup a japanese nintendo ID yet.

Garou

Okay...I bought a Japanese 3ds and Culdcept 3ds. I used the QR code here to take me to the update DLC page

However since this was made things have changed. It takes me to an area of the eshop with all the version updates for everything. I found Culdcept 3ds on page 9. Clicking it takes me to a text filled page with only one option. I click it, then I can either click the left button which closes it or the one on the right. The one on the right acts like it takes me to something, has some sort of message to confirm and then I'm right back on page 1 of the version update area of the eshop.

I turned on culdcept 3ds but where it should say version 1.1 on the main menu does not. I need this update because I believe it is tied to how I get the dlc cards and stages.

Anyone able to help me get that culdcept DLC?
If it matters I have not setup a japanese nintendo ID yet.

Are you sure you didn't click "Download while in sleep-mode"?
Close your 3DS while it's on and connected to WiFi and let it sit for 10 minutes.

shaowebb

Are you sure you didn't click "Download while in sleep-mode"?
Close your 3DS while it's on and connected to WiFi and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Gonna give this a try. Here's hoping something happens.
The screen I get looks like this.

MUVnz0J.jpg

shaowebb

Now every time I try to open Culdcept 3ds It says push A to play game or Y to go back to the eshop and go through the same loop that ends up at the screen I showed above. Do I need to register a Nintendo ID or something before I can get DLC?

Aters

The evil company that makes me pay for two products of the same functionality. I will never buy another hardware from Nintendo before the region-lock is lifted.

Garou

That is the wrong place. The first is the general software-info, and the second screen is asking if you want to do a search for the genre "software updates".

I don't remember it fully, but isn't there a big blue button at the bottom of the initial screen? That's for downloading.

I don't know what you're trying to do, but that's a search page. a confirmation box saying that you're about to perform a search within the selected genre, which is "update data" released by Nintendo.

shaowebb

So the button I need is blue? There was one of those...

Clicking it leads to this...

Then this...

Which in kind led back to this...
Im kind of at a loss at what I'm seeing here. After this I can click the lower right and end up having to go through 9 pages of eshop titles to find culdcept 3ds and then it starts all over again. I know if I can find the ver 1.1 update and download it that my title screen's online section image will say ver 1.1

I dont know if this is how I get the DLC cards and stuff released for this game though. The DLC was free and is my real goal. I'm trying to get cards and stages for this card game that were DLC only and I don't know how to get to them. What I've been posting pics of is me attempting to do whatever was brought up on Culdcept Central about updating the game. I dont know if that actually nets me the DLC card updates or not.

Garou

So the button I need is blue? There was one of those...

Clicking it leads to this...

Then this...

Which in kind led back to this...

Im kind of at a loss at what I'm seeing here. After this I can click the lower right and end up having to go through 9 pages of eshop titles to find culdcept 3ds and then it starts all over again.

The big blue one is the correct one. The message in the second shot says no SD-card found/SD is read-only.

Did you do something with your SD-card? Wrong format?

shaowebb

The big blue one is the correct one. The message in the second shot says no SD-card found/SD is read-only.

Did you do something with your SD-card? Wrong format?

What? No. Its one of those large ones but it should be fine. I have a bunch of titles on there from the eshop like Mighty gunvolt and shantae. Heck I did a humble 3ds bundle of stuff earlier. Do I need a japanese sd card or something wacky like that? Maybe a smaller card?

Garou

What? No. Its one of those large ones but it should be fine. I have a bunch of titles on there from the eshop like Mighty gunvolt and shantae. Heck I did a humble 3ds bundle of stuff earlier. Do I need a japanese sd card or something wacky like that? Maybe a smaller card?

You are not using a genuine Japanese 3DS? If you are doing homebrew-stuff you will have to figure this out yourself. The error says "No SD found/read only/removed".

shaowebb

You are not using a genuine Japanese 3DS? If you are doing homebrew-stuff you will have to figure this out yourself. The error says "No SD found/read only/removed".
No its a genuine japanese console. No exploits would setup homebrew to get around region locking on an imported game because of firmware updates making every exploit obsolete. Believe me if I could have saved $100 on a 3ds meant for only one game I would have. Not the first time I bought a console for Culdcept sequels.I did the same for Saga.
Wait...my US 3ds is using the big card. This one doesn't have a card in it. That was dumb. I've been at this for hours!
I have a micro SD to SD card adapter with 8gb on it. I thing its like a Targus or something. Do those work for 3ds?

EDIT: Turns out its an 8gb kingston. Its a Targus adaptor.

DOUBLE EDIT: Shit. Got some kind of message with a picture of the home menu button on it and it wouldn't take me to the eshop this time after scanning the QR code. I think the micro wont work. I'll go pick up an SD and see how this goes. Wife had a spare 2gb Toshiba card!

FINAL EDIT:

SUCCESS!!!!! Ver1.1 Update installed! I clicked the yellow button on the title screen when it loaded and it looked like it was looking for a match but instead went to a 3pg text filled thing with dates listed on it and then it started to give me DLC cards!!!!! I finally got the DLC! I was terrified that DLC for a culdcept title would disappear before I ever got the title. I waited 4 years for it to localize and with Culdcept Revolt announced I finally gave up and made a move on this. Sooooooooo happy right now. Thanks for all the help!

Hey guys, I need some advice on a problem I have with a New 3DS I got in Japan last year.

So I picked up a pre owned one at a Book Off, assumed it would be alright. The clerk selling it to me did mention something about no SD card. I thought no issue as I had a few spare at home so didn't try it out until I got home.

When I got back tried a Micro SD card in it and the system says it doesn't detect one :/ OK so I tried another, and another and all the same. Tried to format and try again and still no good.

So looks like the system itself is faulty and needs to be repaired, issue is I bought it in Japan and Nintendo Australia obviously won't even bother looking into it.

Anyone got any ideas of a fix for this or would I be best trying to find someone in Japan to send it to, so they can forward to Nintendo Japan to fix it.

Koppai

Hey guys, I need some advice on a problem I have with a New 3DS I got in Japan last year.

So I picked up a pre owned one at a Book Off, assumed it would be alright. The clerk selling it to me did mention something about no SD card. I thought no issue as I had a few spare at home so didn't try it out until I got home.

When I got back tried a Micro SD card in it and the system says it doesn't detect one :/ OK so I tried another, and another and all the same. Tried to format and try again and still no good.

So looks like the system itself is faulty and needs to be repaired, issue is I bought it in Japan and Nintendo Australia obviously won't even bother looking into it.

Anyone got any ideas of a fix for this or would I be best trying to find someone in Japan to send it to, so they can forward to Nintendo Japan to fix it.

It's going to cost you a lot more than just buying another system to replace it.

shaowebb

Found out we might see the DS shop end next year so I bought Culdcept DS as well. Now to find out how to get the DLC cards for it :)

Also I'm seeing some real potential outside of Culdcept for this japanese 3ds. Apparently a Goemon title was released out there and I love Ouendan. Any fighting games or brawlers of note on this over there?

Phoenixus

Figured this would be the right place to ask, but where would be the best place to import a japanese 2DS to the UK? I've heard Amazon does international shipping now?

Figured this would be the right place to ask, but where would be the best place to import a japanese 2DS to the UK? I've heard Amazon does international shipping now?
Check out the first post: IMPORTING DIRECTLY section.

I'm not aware of Amazon delivering from Japan, and I've not been able to do that just now.

tiijj

Amazon JP does ship intl on some selected items (and must be sold and shipped by amazon jp directly). AFAIK the only 2DS release so far in Japan are the four 20th anniversary pokemon ed. so they are kinda limited and they are as far as I can see only sold by 3rd party sellers at amazon which makes them not available for intl. shipping.

Anyway here's the direct link for amazon jp global shipping. Also note that even if an item is listed there it is not 100% for sure that they will ship intl. and from my experience it changes, so an item might eligible to ship intl. today but they might change it the next day.

Halabane

Speaking of shipping, for those who use Tenso and EMS the shipping rate is going up end of may:

Details of Price Revision]
The additional shipping fees for each shipping area will be charged.

-EMS
Asia: 300JPY
North America, Middle and Near East, Oceania: 500JPY
Europe: 400JPY
South America, Africa: 300JPY

-Surface Mail (International post parcel to East Asia) East Asia: 100~1550JPY

-Family Mart Delivery in Taiwan
Taiwan: 300JPY

On the occasion of the price revision, we recommend our customers to purchase and ship packages before the effective date.

However, the revision may not have any affect on the shipping fees of other methods as follows.

-AIR
-AIR Small Packet Shipping
-SAL
-SAL Small Packet Shipping
-Surface Mail (excluding East Asia)

Sorry for the bump. I'm running low on eShop funds on my JP 3DS and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good deals out there. Play-Asia seems to be the lowest but they're running 52USD for 5,000 Yen cards, anybody know if I can do better?

Thanks!

So it looks like Amazon.jp sells the funds at cost. Anyone have any trouble ordering from the US?

Aizo

Banned
Why don't you just use a debit or credit card and buy them directly through the eshop with that? When I lived outside of Japan, my card was accepted.

Is it safe to import Culdcept Revolt? I don't want to get it and then have it announced for a western release, but I don't think that's on the cards.

Is it safe to import Culdcept Revolt? I don't don't ti get it and then have it announced for a western release, but I don't think that's on the cards.

Insanely unlikely given we never got the first 3DS Culdcept, despite rumours.

I'm doing the same - need that glorious Nishimura art.

Just a heads-up that the USD - yen exchange rate is now extremely favorable for us Americans again, almost as much as it was in summer 2015.

If you want to go on a digital buying binge, now would be a good time.

Wondering if it is possible to get the hanafuda mario cover plates anywhere? I just got a small new 3ds and would love them. Im also making this region free so got a few JP 3DS games ordered. ANy suggestions for import friendly ones? (import friendly like AA trilogy that has english text etc)

Anyone import Box Boy? I just ordered a New 3DS LL for that and Picross Round 2. I am hoping language won't be too much of a barrier for these. And the OP seems fairly detailed for figuring out the system itself.

Pixeluh

Hate to bump this;

Would you consider buying a 2DS LL at this period in time? Or invest in a switch?

I had a 3DS a couple of years ago for DQ VII and Animal Crossing, but am unsure if any other majors games will make a 2DS LL worth it. Will there still be new major games out for the Japanese e-shop, or are we transitioning to the switch?

The biggest pro of the 3DS is that the games had furigana, which I'm not sure if many switch ones will. Opinions?

Is Tenso still considered a reliable mail forwarding service? I have a copy of Snack World and other related accessories pre-ordered with Amazon for delivery to a Tenso supplied address.

Impotaku

Is Tenso still considered a reliable mail forwarding service? I have a copy of Snack World and other related accessories pre-ordered with Amazon for delivery to a Tenso supplied address.

Yeah tenso are still good as ever, not had any problems with them. Although with the poor yen exchange rate of the Yen i haven't used them as much as i would normally have as it's a bit pricy to import a lot at the moment.

Yeah tenso are still good as ever, not had any problems with them. Although with the poor yen exchange rate of the Yen i haven't used them as much as i would normally have as it's a bit pricy to import a lot at the moment.

Thanks for the info. The conversion to AUD isn't too bad for me; there's roughly a $15 markup on new release titles compared with the average RRP on new releases here. I've never used a mail forwarding service however, as typically I import everything from Play-Asia.

Top Bottom