• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup Announced

Not a completely garbage launch lineup, but not particularly inspiring either. I'm sure launch week will be fine, but this isn;t going to take over 3ds sales anytime soon.

seantos

Neo Member
That's it after the supposed delay and missing xmas? Should have waited for next holiday season. This isn't ready for launch. The march date seems like a fiscal year end decision more than a real strategy.

co1onel

With the announcement of breath of wild coming to the Wii u the same day, I'm just going to hold onto my Wii u for now. There's nothing else on the switch I want at launch.

Guymelef

A rather polarizing line up. If you like JRPG's and alternative games, this can keep you occupied for awhile. It's worth noting that Puyo Puyo and Bomberman are rather well respected games in their circles.

But, if you're not a JRPG fan, or a arcade/puzzle game fan, then you're out of luck. If I were buying the Switch at launch, this would be enough until more games started coming out a month or two later, though not the best line-up.

If you like JRPG you probably already played Dragon Quest Heroes, I am Setsuna, Disgaea 5...

Under 10 games for launch and they aren't all from different genres....... Wow the $300 price was bad enough imho but this takes the cake.

N64 launched with 2 games people.

TWO.

And it was recently named the most beloved retro console. And it had some of the best & most consequential games in gaming history.

Relax.

flattie

It is a shite lineup, although let's face it, most of us won't have time for anything outside of Zelda. Still, my guess is that they're more concerned with having games coming out over the whole year than squeezing them all into launch. I can accept that.

People need to chill. You're getting what looks like an amazing Zelda entry. If you don't like Zelda, wait for something you do like.

watershed

Banned
If this launch line up is any indication of the rate of 1st party software, not to mention the complete lack of big 3rd party titles, the Switch is gonna be the WiiU all over again. 1 big 1st party title and 1 minigame collection. Damn...

I was expecting more big 3rd party titles to be announced for launch, and I know they are not done announcing everything, but I was hoping to see some more recent titles appear.

For example, when they announced 1,2 switch I at first thought it was going to be RDR2, and was super disappointing (though I guess I should have known better).

Anyways, I think they should have made a bigger push for big 3rd party support because the console itself looks very well designed, but it needs more games in my opinion - especially at launch. Would have been nice to see some ports of the biggest holiday games for launch.

Hopefully they can move quickly to build on this small starting lineup and get some great content out for us to play!

Asd202

N64 launched with 2 games people.

TWO.

And it was recently named the most beloved retro console. And it had some of the best & most consequential games in gaming history.

Relax.

It's 2017 dude. Nintendo doesn't exist in the vacum in that time PS4 and Xbox will be getting tons of games.

Honestly, the real concern is how bad would the launch lineup have been in the holidays that they had to delay it to get this lineup.

Even for the west, they couldn't even get EA to make a FIFA at launch so it won't have it until the next one launches later in the year. I wonder if they at least got 2k for the NA launch

Trace

Banned
1403.gif

Guys, several of those games are exclusive to Japan like Dragon Quest.

The NA launch lineup is going to be what? Zelda and 1 2 Switch? What the hell are they going to launch with?

Remember when people were saying the reason Nintendo was taking so long to talk about the switch was to get a killer launch lineup ready to go? Pretty funny in retrospect.

People really like to overreact when it comes to Nintendo. With people alright only have like 1 new game build for the system a long side with cross gen titles on the Xbox and Playstation.

Sterok

I guess there's still time for a Monster Hunter XX port announcement? And Mario Kart and Splatoon aren't far from launch? Doesn't look pretty.

Kathian

Banned
I mean if Zelda were not on Wii U it would be a good line up with at least a few games to keep momentum for the remaining year (namely Splatoon and Mario) but Zelda is not exclusive - I mean we are slightly a nicher audience so Zelda fans who don't have a Wii U will probably pick this up at launch but I don't see many Wii U owners moving over at launch.

Meanwhile for handheld fans I see very little here that will be a great handheld experience.

Disgaea 5 is really fun, I'm glad more people will get to play it. If I pick up a Switch then there's a few games in that list I'd pick up, but none that I'd be excited for, which is a shame.

jrush64

Banned
People really like to overreact when it comes to Nintendo. With people alright only have like 1 new game build for the system a long side with cross gen titles on the Xbox and Playstation.

Like its ridiculous. You should see the Switch topics. When it comes to Nintendo, the overreactions are just puzzling.

I could never decide whether to buy Puyo Puyo Tetris to play on the train or at home with my gf, so I guess that makes 2 launch titles I am mildly interested in...

I assumed they would at least have Mario Maker for launch.

Only one game I care about. Not sure if it's enough to get me to buy at launch.

MoonFrog

How the hell can it be this thin? What the fuck has Nintendo been doing all this time?

Been left hanging since E3 2015 and still hanging. I was really hoping for a more polished and packed presentation in general, given how long the drought has been. Here's to hoping that the rest of March, April, and May have stuff and then Nintendo finally blows their load at E3, presuming they have one.

Launch Zelda+Kart in April+Splatoon in Summer+Mario in Fall isn't so bad (especially if Smash and Pokemon Stars are also things) but I really am looking for Nintendo to do more. It just feels there has to be something else. I really hope there is.

Oddish1

Seems fine to me. It looks like Nintendo is spreading out their games over the year rather than having them all at launch which I think is much smarter.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming out a month later and Splatoon 2 is summer so there isn't a long wait in between launch and new games.

Destin715

Neo Member
Sounds about right. We are dealing with Nintendo, of course.

And everybody's rushing to secure this day one lol. Lot of people bout to get burned.

Top Bottom