Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/31

#1
Media Create Numbers


1. Super Robot Wars OG Side Story (PS2) : 197k (LTD 197k)
2. Wii Fit (Wii) : 135k (LTD 884k)
3. Mario Party DS (DS) : 131k (LTD 1 288k)
4. FF4 DS (DS) : 126k (LTD 414k)
5. Star Ocean 1 First Departure (PSP) : 105k (LTD 105k)
6. Wii Sports (Wii) : 82k (LTD 2 507k)
7. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku (PSP) : 81k (LTD 81k)
8. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS) : 80k (LTD 607k)
9. DQ4 (DS) : 78k (LTD 1 041k)
10. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) : 56k (LTD 720k)

11. Wii Play (Wii)
12. Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii)
13. Mario Party 8 (Wii)
14. Mario Kart DS (DS)
15. Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
16. Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 2 (PS2)
17. Taiko Drum Master DS (DS)
18. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
19. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
20. Power-Pro Kun Pocket 10 (DS)
21. Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Wii)
22. Call of Duty 4 (360)
23. Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2)
24. Tales of Innocence (DS)
25. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (DS)
26. GT5 Prologue (PS3)
27. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
28. Nep League (DS)
29. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Time Exploration Team (DS)
30. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

Famitsu/Enterbrain Numbers

DSL 195,000
Wii 162,000
PSP 158,000
PS3 49,000
PS2 30,000
360 9,200

1. (PS2, Banpresto) Super Robot Taisen OG Gaiden - 199,000
2. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Party DS - 162,000 (1,232,000)
3. (DS, Square Enix) Final Fantasy IV - 138,000 (447,000)
4. (PSP, Square Enix) Star Ocean First Departure - 115,000
5. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 94,000 (2,465,000)
6. (DS, Square Enix) Dragon Quest IV - 90,000 (1,053,000)
7. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Fit - 81,000 (818,000)
8. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Play - 72,000 (1,991,000)
9. (PSP, Bandai Namco) Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku - 71,000
10. (Wii, Nintendo) Super Mario Galaxy - 68,000 (748,000)

11. (DS, Level 5) Professor Layton & Akuma no Hako - 65,000 (615,000)
12. (Wii, Nintendo) Mario & Sonic and the Olympic Games - 56,000 (363,000)
13. (Wii, Nintendo) Mario Party 8 - 46000 (1,054,000)
14. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 38,000 (1,490,000)
15. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time + Shadow Expedition Party - 38,000 (1,257,000)
16. (DS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 35,000 (2,695,000)
17. ???
18. (PS2, Konami) Power Pro Baseball 10 - 30,000(158000)
19. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 27,000 (4,995,000)
20. (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 26,000 (545,000)
21. (360, Activision) Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare - 26,000
22. (DS, Namco) Tales Of Innocence - 22,000 (178,000)
23. (PS3, SCE) Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - 22,000 (158,000)
25. (DS, Level 5) Professor Layton & the Curious Village - 21,000 (766,000)
26. (PS3, Activision) Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare - 21,000
27. (DS, Nintendo) Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero - 19,000 (68,000)
28. ???
29. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World - 18,000 (4,514,000)
30. (DS, Bandai Namco) Dorabase: Dramatic Stadium 18,000 (115,000)

XX. (360, Bandai Namco) Gundam Musou International - 9,400
XX. (Wii, Takara Tomy) Jinsei Game Wii - 6,600
XX. (DS, Takara Tomy) Jinsei Game DS - 4,800
XX. (PS2, Prototype) Shinkyouku Soukai Polyphonica 3&4 Hanashi Kanketsuhen - 4,700
XX. (Wii, Bandai Namco) Nodame Cantabile: Dream * Orchestra - 2,400
XX. (Wii, Yamasa) Anime Slot Revolution: Pachi-Slot Kidou Senshi Gundam II - Ai Senshi Hen - 1,600
XX. (Wii, SNK Playmore) Metal Slug Anthology - 1,100
 
#8
CoD4 sells more on 360 than on PS3 in its first week? Interesting. I wonder what that says about the respective audiences tied to each console in Japan. I really don't think anyone would have expected that.
 
#15
Didn't know COD4 PS3 was out already.

Anyone get the Japanese version of it yet? Is there any obvious censorship compared to the US version? I might grab the JP version unless the censorship is too extreme as to kill the atmosphere.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
#16
Raw64life said:
Mario is really going to have to struggle to make it to a million.

Not really. Next week should be a big sales week as well. I think it will hit a million pretty easily.
 
#17
DeaconKnowledge said:
With the absolute surge of PSP hardware sales, I'm left wondering when Sony will pull the trigger on a sequel. At first I thought they'd jump the gun early, but now i'm not so sure.
2009 is the earliest, although am sure plans and designs assets are already in the works but unless there is a leakage, the earliest we can see this is 2009.
 
#18
DeaconKnowledge said:
With the absolute surge of PSP hardware sales, I'm left wondering when Sony will pull the trigger on a sequel. At first I thought they'd jump the gun early, but now i'm not so sure.
I wonder if they'll anticipate the same overall situation as before (good hardware sales, lousy software sales) and design the system for maximum profit as such.
 
#19
A few comments:
1. Solid second week numbers for FFIV. I think the game should continue to do fairly well over the coming weeks thanks to the holidays and good word of mouth, though it'll still likely end up a bit below where it should.
2. Decent launch for SO... though I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more pickup after the first day sales. This one is looking very front loaded.
3. ToI's numbers still kinda suck, but it does look as though the game got a second shipment. Original was ~150k, now the game is at 170k. Should at least be enough to push the game past Tempest and the World titles.
4. Yay for DQIV going platinum a third time! Bodes incredibly well for DQV, VI, and IX.
 

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
#22
ethelred said:
4. Yay for DQIV going platinum a third time! Bodes incredibly well for DQV, VI, and IX.
How many platinum games does the DS now have? I think it's on track to beat all previous console records.
 
#23
I highly doubt Sony is willing to take another risk with there porteble division when the PSP is making a profit for them. Not with these PS3 sales anyway. I think they will focus on the next PSP when PS3 makes money for them and there is no growth left in the PSP market. Right now all they have to do is get some more big name games for the PSP to get some insane profits because I believe the low software sales are because of low profile games and people happy with the multimedia functionality.
 
#25
Great sales all around, but I can't help but feel let down by the DS. I miss the days of 300k+ holiday weeks. I think it's time for another brain training, a price drop, and a law banning birth control.
 
#26
Pureauthor said:
ethelred, what were the PS1 LTD sales for DQIV?
1.167? Something like that. On my phone at the moment and not at home, so I can't post the exact number -- do a search for one of my older posts or wait for donny if you need something more precise.
 
#27
ethelred said:
A few comments:
1. Solid second week numbers for FFIV. I think the game should continue to do fairly well over the coming weeks thanks to the holidays and good word of mouth, though it'll still likely end up a bit below where it should.
What should it end up at I don't have the previous numbers?
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
#31
ethelred said:
1.167? Something like that. On my phone at the moment and not at home, so I can't post the exact number -- do a search for one of my older posts or wait for donny if you need something more precise.
What kind of phone do you use? I see you posting somewhat frequently that you're posting from your phone, but you never use shorthand and you're a decently verbose poster, so I assume you must have a smartphone or iPhone or something.
 
#33
I'm not even gonna read it. I'll just guess the first few platforms that are on top in order:

DS
Wii
Wii
DS
DS
DS
Wii
DS
PS2
DS
DS
Wii
Wii
Wii
DS

Does that look about right?

Edit: Wow there are actually other systems besides DS and Wii sprinkled around in there? I even saw Call of Duty 4 in there. Japanese gamers are getting a little crazy and adventurous.
 

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
#35
Man the Ps3 sales need to get hit by a bolt of lighting or at least keep this pace for the whole year. But after this I see them going back to the 15k a week I hope not.
 

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
#36
Forgotten Ancient said:
Great sales all around, but I can't help but feel let down by the DS. I miss the days of 300k+ holiday weeks. I think it's time for another brain training, a price drop, and a law banning birth control.
Better than that, it's time for a new hardware revision.
 
#38
ethelred said:
2. Decent launch for SO... though I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more pickup after the first day sales. This one is looking very front loaded.
Didn't you say Star Ocean franchise is less popular plus the fact it's a remake?Expectations for it is just about correct....
 
#39
Stumpokapow said:
What kind of phone do you use? I see you posting somewhat frequently that you're posting from your phone, but you never use shorthand and you're a decently verbose poster, so I assume you must have a smartphone or iPhone or something.
ethel's one of those filthy iPhone users.
 
#42
schuelma said:
Not really. Next week should be a big sales week as well. I think it will hit a million pretty easily.
The week after that (the second week after January) sales of everything typically drop drastically and stay that low for a while. SMG isn't going to sell anywhere near 250k next week and it will most likely drop out of the top 10 and never return afterwards.
 
#43
Pureauthor said:
I wonder if they'll anticipate the same overall situation as before (good hardware sales, lousy software sales) and design the system for maximum profit as such.
Well I think whatever PSP we see will have a lot more focus on the other capabilities, especially since they don't have a hardware platform to leverage games off of (like the PSP did with PS2.)
 
#44
Defuser said:
Didn't you say Star Ocean franchise is less popular plus the fact it's a remake?Expectations for it is just about correct....
I'm fine with the overall sales, but with an 80k first day, I would've expected a stronger first week -- more in the 140/150k range. This tells me the game will be more front loaded than expected.

Stumpy: iPhone.

Re DS million sellers: I believe DQIV is number 20.
 
#45
ethelred said:
1.167? Something like that. On my phone at the moment and not at home, so I can't post the exact number -- do a search for one of my older posts or wait for donny if you need something more precise.
I last have it tracked at 1,173,671 through 20021229. The DS version will probably pass it by the end of January at the latest.

Edit:
I just realized that the title should be "Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/30." That is most likely my fault, as "31" was in the title I suggested in the previous thread. :/
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
#46
Raw64life said:
The week after that (the second week after January) sales of everything typically drop drastically and stay that low for a while. SMG isn't going to sell anywhere near 250k next week and it will most likely drop out of the top 10 and never return afterwards.

Look at Nintendo titles like Sunshine and Melee..they picked up a ton of untracked sales after their initial sales.
 
#47
marc^o^ said:
How many platinum games does the DS now have? I think it's on track to beat all previous console records.
I think it already has. PS2 has 17 million sellers in Japan, DS has 19 and that's excluding games like Kirby Squek Squad (995k) and Oshare Majo Love & Berry (979k).
Raw64life said:
SMG isn't going to sell anywhere near 250k next week and it will most likely drop out of the top 10 and never return afterwards.
Dropping out of the top ten doesn't mean it will stop selling or that we won't get numbers for it. When did you last see NSMB or Mario Kart DS in the top ten?
 

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
#48
Raw64life said:
The week after that (the second week after January) sales of everything typically drop drastically and stay that low for a while. SMG isn't going to sell anywhere near 250k next week and it will most likely drop out of the top 10 and never return afterwards.
Not really. After next week sales will drop, but the Top 10 should all stay above 25k through the end of January. Based on how its been selling so far, I'd expect SMG sales over the next 5 weeks to look something like this: 100k->40k->30k->20k->25k

Which would bring its LTD sales to 963k by the end of January. Not exactly a struggle to one million from there.
 

Link

The Autumn Wind
#49
Raw64life said:
The week after that (the second week after January) sales of everything typically drop drastically and stay that low for a while. SMG isn't going to sell anywhere near 250k next week and it will most likely drop out of the top 10 and never return afterwards.
I have a feeling the resurgence of sales was also because of great word of mouth, so I can definitely see the game hanging around for a while and selling at a steady pace.
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
#50
SO1 kinda... bombed

first day sales 80k and it just managed 115k for the week. I was expecting around 150k for the week.