• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software sale 5-12 Dec 2005

moku said:
Okay, I'm new to the whole "wait for the sales charts" thing, but you bastards have sucked me in so hard, my whole life goes on hiatus when they come out.

Can I have the time when they hit? Please. I'm pathetic, I know.

8:30 - 10:00 p.m.

ioi

Banned
Chibbi Brady said:
DS - 415k
PSP - 125k
PS2 - 90k
GBA - 65k (FF Micro)
Xbox 360 - 15k
Gamecube - 30k

Just throwing out random software numbers. Sofware for next week should be even bigger still, can definitely see AC doing 200k next week and MK being close.

1. Tales of the Abyss - 405k
2. Animal Crossing - 185k
3. Mario Kart DS - 145k
4. Brain Training - 80k
5. Tamagotchi - 70k
6. Pokemon Dungeon - 150k (split evenly)
7. Monster Hunter - 60K
8. Rogue Galaxy - 100k
9. Nintendogs - 60k

Tales 330k
AC 175k
MK 150k
Tamogotchi 100k
Mysterious Dungeon 80k each
Rogue Galaxy 65k
Brain Training 60k
Nintendogs 45k
Monster Hunter 25k

Chittagong

Gold Member
Now, if that 400K is true, it means that essentially every 1.5 seconds, somebody buys a DS in Japan. Night and day.

Let's assume that Nintendo has a fair 25% margin on the device price of around 120 USD - this is in the ballpark. That means a 30 USD profit every 1.5 seconds. 1.200 USD per minute. 72.000 USD per hour. 1.728 million USD a day. 12M USD a week. On one product. In one country.

Assuming a second party project such as Another Code or Brain Training costs 0.5M to develop, Nintendo can fund 24 second party projects with this week DS HW Japan profit only.

Chittagong

Gold Member
elostyle said:
I think your margin is a liitle high.

For two very low quality LCD screens, a touch foil, old ARM7 and ARM9 based chips, the cheapest WLAN chip on the market, cheapest possible speaker elements and very little memory, that should be in the ballpark, if not a bit pessimistic. I don't know the channel margin or tax in Japan, though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
elostyle said:
It's only one chip actually :p

X-)

Busted - my teardown report is on my work laptop so I'm pulling stuff out of my ass at the moment - but it's logical to have one integrated chip so you're probably right.

I think the BOM of DS at launch was bit under 100USD, so it should be dirt cheap now, properly ramped up and 10M units down the cost curve.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Yeah I hear you and I think you're right. 1 chip, 1 memory chip, some sort of mainboard, DA converter for touchpad, mic, one screen, one touchscreen, battery, wifi, case.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hey I just realized that Gpara says 12/5-12/11, does this mean the date in the topic title is wrong?

heidern

You also need to take account of the fact that in Japan the DS has not seen a price cut unlike the US where it had a $20 price drop. It has also been more than a year since launch and costs will have dropped anyway even before you consider the economies of scale they are achieving with these insane sales.

pixelbox said:
Im not saying that. I just can't what for next year.

Neither can Nintendo.

-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
-Super Mario Bros.
-Zelda DS
-Children of Mana
-FF3
-FF:CC
-Tales of the Tempest
-Metroid Prime Hunters
-Mario 3on3 Basketball
-Resident Evi: Deadly Silence
-Wario World
-Castlevania
-Magical Vacation 2

pixelbox

PhoenixDark said:
Neither can Nintendo.

-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
-Super Mario Bros.
-Zelda DS
-Children of Mana
-FF3
-FF:CC
-Tales of the Tempest
-Metroid Prime Hunters
-Mario 3on3 Basketball
-Resident Evi: Deadly Silence
-Wario World
-Castlevania
-Magical Vacation 2
When is pokemon coming out? And will super mario bros. be like mario 64, 3d?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
pixelbox said:
When is pokemon coming out? And will super mario bros. be like mario 64, 3d?

Not sure about Pokemon's release date, but Mario Bros. will be a 2D platformer, but with 3D graphics. It's gonna ROCK your moms!!

pixelbox

Oblivion said:
Not sure about Pokemon's release date, but Mario Bros. will be a 2D platformer, but with 3D graphics. It's gonna ROCK your moms!!
OHHHHHH, i saw this, he was giant plowing through blocks.

heavenly said:
I thought the Brain Training games weren't Nintendo's creations? If so, why is Sega permitted to make the games on other platforms? Who owns the rights?
It's more like games about the same sport sharing the same league license. At least, that's how they used to do it.

Apenheul said:
I may be misinformed but didn't the DS do allright in NA? I thought DS and PSP were pretty much on par there.
It did launch decently, selling well over a million in its first November/December. And it has outsold the PSP in the last few months by smallish amounts. In NA, though, the GBA has remained on top, usually doubling DS sales.

The_lascar said:
Somebody have the scores of Christmas 2001 for GameCube & PS2 ?
http://www.d6.dion.ne.jp/~yosou-oh/harddata.htm I'm pretty sure these are Famitsu numbers.

Code:
Week         PS2          GCN          GBA
12/03        103,141      52,806        38,887
12/10        184,179      100,882      120,771
12/17        221,978      168,268      264,849
12/24        248,912      130,719      215,739
12/31        314,724      138,531      286,481

Top Bottom