• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Splatfest for Sept. McDonald's Fries vs McDonald's Chicken Nuggets. McD

Ban Puncher

Why are people calling this out? It's a harmless promotional event. Same with the other three that already happened on the first game. If you're just now complaining about this then you're a little late to the party.

They did it with Transformers, they did it with Spongebob and they did it with another brand as well.

CHSy2aPWsAAmsb7.jpg

I dunno. Some people just really want THE MAN to tell them and others what they can and cannot do.

yuoke

Banned
I'm guessing tons of people here just didn't play the first game and didn't know there were tons of licensed splatfests in that.

Ban Puncher

I'm guessing tons of people here just didn't play the first game and didn't know there were tons of licensed splatfests in that.

To be fair I think it's probably because the US got two sponsored Splatfests, Transformers and Spongebob, and Europe/PAL terrotories only got the Spongebob one (not counting the Pokemon one).

Japan had at least five sponsored Splatfests. They probably do not find them as unusual as western players.

Smeags

I'm gonna go eat at McDonalds today just to spite some of y'all.

That said, #teampearl on this one. The goregous gremlin goddess and punk princess of perfection strikes again! Keep taking those L's team Mar-Lame-a!

Still working on the Marina trash talk. Give it time!

Eric_S

I'm sure the two people who owned a WiiU were busy being happy to get a game at all to bother with the other issue of advertisement in games.

(That's being flippant and silly, I know, but probably close enough to the truth)

Fries. This isn't even a contest. Fries. Why is there a Splatfest for this? Fries. Nuggets should just give up. Fries. There is no debate. Fries.

El Sabroso

So, do I need a Japanese account to enter that splatfest or do I need to purchase from the Japanese eShop the Japanese game ?

Nightii

Banned
So, do I need a Japanese account to enter that splatfest or do I need to purchase from the Japanese eShop the Japanese game ?

You need to make a Japanese account in order to buy the Japanese version of the game, which then you can play with your normal account without issue.

Not worth it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Their fries aren't even anything special. Do they have checkers/rallys in Japan?

Japanese fast food is very special.

Hell, it is really false to assume fast food is the same like in America. Indian McD for instance offers a really different menu.

Don't really like the product placement here. Maybe it's an arbitrary thing but kinda jarring to see a McDonald's logo in the Splatoon universe

Mathrin

Nuggets are a side in Japan? 🤔

I think the follow up to this is - if so, why the hell are they not in the rest of the world? I'd happily give up those salt-sticks for a box of 6 nuggets.

Christ there is no reason I'm overweight, is there.

Ban Puncher

I'm glad we don't have that splatfest. Might be one of the worst in game adds I've ever seen. Also nobody i know IRL gives a shit about McDonald's

Ugh, could do without the blatant corporate sponsorship and advertising.

Not a fan of advertising unhealthy crap to children via videogames.

Gross product placement of gross products is gross

How absolutely fucked - advertising like that in a game we already paid for. Made even worse by it being toxic, shit food being fed to kids.

How much did McD pony up for this?

Would this shit even be legal in Europe?

cosign, ban this shit

wonder how much Mcdonalds paid for the endorsement ?

Coke, chocolate, Fast fry foods, lets promote them to kids in games yay.

Sad.

This seems shitty.

It's a mass survey for kids that Nintendo is just going to sell to McD.

Don't really like the product placement here. Maybe it's an arbitrary thing but kinda jarring to see a McDonald's logo in the Splatoon universe

tumblr_nsvhfbPhQy1tvf87ro3_1280.png

El Sabroso

You need to make a Japanese account in order to buy the Japanese version of the game, which then you can play with your normal account without issue.

Not worth it.

yeah have the Japanese account but as you say, not worth if is the Japanese game also when I already have the Americas version

anyways, I like more that theme than the flying vs invisibility theme

Really not a fan of sponsored splatfests, especially advertising awful fast food to mostly kids.
I'm sure this two-day event will cause millions of kids around the world to become even more addicted to McDonald's cause of a game that involves you shooting ink with squids and kids.

Again everyone this has been going on since the first Splatoon. This isn't new at all and in reality McDonald's in Japan is actually different than the ones you know here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should have asked the real question:

Quarter Pounder or Big Mac

(The order is important. I can tell Pearl is a classy lass and would choose a Quarter Pounder)

Rellik

Japanese fast food is very special.

Hell, it is really false to assume fast food is the same like in America. Indian McD for instance offers a really different menu.

They tend to do a half decent job of adapting to the local cuisine around the world but they still have all their basics like the fries.

Top Bottom