• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese traditional video games have their worst/lowest sales week in history

hiska-kun

Media Create confirms it!

The Worst Week ever in all Japan Gaming History.
総販売本数は過去最低に

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    235.000 |    392.000 |    380.000 | 12.966.000 | 15.486.000 |

Puzzle & Dragons sell-through is horrible

02./01. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2015.04.29} (¥4.320) - 13.844 / 232.683 (-64%) <59,19%> [Units shipped => 393.112]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

To note, hiska has been predicting this for a while, so hats off for getting it right.

By traditional, the title means non-mobile. If there's another word people feel is more clear, just say so.

Keyouta

Mobile gaming is causing a huge shift, which makes sense with how most people in Japan live, the commuter life style and all. I'm interested in seeing what Nintendo does in mobile and how much success they'll get out of it. The level of interest in mobile P&Z vs the 3DS release is huge, not that it's surprising.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
To note, Japan's economy hasn't been doing all that great these past few years, and consumer purchases have greatly diminished - a lot of sectors are touched, including video games; hence, the low sales at traditional retail.

Edit: Mobile ain't helping either mind you.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I need to see a chart of the general decline since like 2009 or something.

This isn't unit sales like the OP, but the annual revenue chart should generally get at what you're asking:

famitsu-market-20141osea.png

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mobile gaming is causing a huge shift, which makes sense with how most people in Japan live, the commuter life style and all. I'm interested in seeing what Nintendo does in mobile and how much success they'll get out of it. The level of interest in mobile P&Z vs the 3DS release is huge, not that it's surprising.

DeNA does not exactly inspire confidence. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is a mess from a interface standpoint. Performance is also shit on either Iphone or Android.

Who knows though, it's probably a different team(s). But still a bit worrying.

smurfx

get some go again
the console market is dead in japan. i wonder if sony will even bother releasing the ps5 there if things keep going downhill.

DJIzana

North American and Europe are still huge fans of Japanese games though. There's always a market for those type of games. Hell, Japanese games are all I basically play... there's the odd exception but not much!

Man, if Japanese AAA games go, as will my interest in gaming as a medium... not good...

yuraya

I forgot to take a look at the media create thread for the week. Just searched it and saw the numbers...

0dcd3033a8ecaa55e41c93f9843ea2f3.jpg

Awful. RIP Japan.

NM0dz

Neo Member
To note, Japan's economy hasn't been doing all that great these past few years, and consumer purchases have greatly diminished - a lot of sectors are touched, including video games; hence, the low sales at traditional retail.

You do realise that the Japanese economy has been either stagnant or declining, with only brief, interspersed growth since 1991, right?

Required reading for those who ain't yet.

That lux tax has had its pound of flesh as well.

And it'll grow again 2017!

There was actually a massive heatwave and

But those Easter sales!

bomma_man

The economy's been stagnant since 1997.

FluxWaveZ

the console market is dead in japan. i wonder if sony will even bother releasing the ps5 there if things keep going downhill.

"Dead" is a bit strong, at least relative to some other markets... Dying, maybe. They're still making plenty of dedicated console/handheld games, at least.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
You do realise that the Japanese economy has been either stagnant or declining, with only brief, interspersed growth since 1991, right?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how your comment differentiates from mine?

The Japanese economy has been forever stagnant, however these last few years have been terrible especially since the tax hike:
The drop in spending in fiscal 2014 to a nationwide household average of 248,929 yen was the largest decline since comparable data became available in fiscal 2001 ended March 2002, beating the previous record fall of 2.6 percent in fiscal 2008, when the economy was hit hard by the global recession.

That's the point I was making across, economy and especially, consumer purchase.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Japanese-household-spending-falls-at-fastest-pace-in-FY2014

JordanN

Banned

Japanese developers will have finally moved onto PS4 after making so many PS3 games cross gen.

So I think they'll be ok with not releasing PS5 there. It will suck though not knowing what Japanese games could have looked like running in 4K.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
All my favorite franchises are Japanese...

I really picked the wrong boat, huh.

smurfx

get some go again
Japanese developers will have finally moved onto PS4 after making so many PS3 games cross gen.

So I think they'll be ok with not releasing PS5 there. It will suck though not knowing what Japanese games could have looked like running in 4K.
why would they go and chase even higher specs when they can just use ps3 and ps4 assets and make mobile games instead? it really makes no sense to keep chasing console gaming when mobile is where all the players are at.

Zee-Row

Banned
The industry can move on without Japan , its sad to see them go but most players there only like the casual stuff.

FluxWaveZ

why would they go and chase even higher specs when they can just use ps3 and ps4 assets and make mobile games instead? it really makes no sense to keep chasing console gaming when mobile is where all the players are at.

Because it's not. There are still the subset of consumers who want to play console video games and who buy console video games. As long as that market is financially viable, console video games will continue to get made. Just as they are. Today.

Top Bottom