• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Uncharted vita price announced, Western price still $39.99 at stores

Bluth54

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Vita games hit the $50-60 price range in the US, even though that's way more then the vast majority of gamers are willing to spend on a handheld. Even $40 for 3DS games is pushing it, and I believe it only will be a success for really big games like Mario Kart 7/Mario Land 3D/Zelda.

Gravijah

Bluth54 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some Vita games hit the $50-60 price range in the US, even though that's way more then the vast majority of gamers are willing to spend on a handheld. Even $40 for 3DS games is pushing it, and I believe it only will be a success for really big games like Mario Kart 7/Mario Land 3D/Zelda.

standalone vita games will not be 60 dollars.

A cent over $40 is suicide.

3DS games are too expensive at $40 and the market is slowly pushing those down (though I imagine all it will take is one really successful $40 game to keep the status quo for a while). I hope Sony has expressed to, like, Activision that just because it's (being any game Activison would publish) a port of a console game doesn't mean they can sell it for console price.

http://andriasang.com/comyis/

Slightly less officially, this week's issue of Dengeki PlayStation lists pricing for Hot Shots Golf 6, another first party Vita launch title. This one will be priced ¥4,980 in package form and ¥3,980 in download form.

http://andriasang.com/comyhy/

Capcom became the latest publisher to share pricing for the PlayStation Vita launch. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 will launch with the system on December 17, and today Capcom revealed that it will be priced ¥4,800 in retail form and ¥4,300 in download form.

Seems like it roughly follows the same retail pricing model as the 3DS in Japan...

Erethian

ShockingAlberto said:
A cent over $40 is suicide.

3DS games are too expensive at $40 and the market is slowly pushing those down (though I imagine all it will take is one really successful $40 game to keep the status quo for a while). I hope Sony has expressed to, like, Activision that just because it's (being any game Activison would publish) a port of a console game doesn't mean they can sell it for console price.

I can easily see games being $40-$50, depending on the game.

seady

Why do people still do not understand that Japanese pricing =/= American pricing? You don't do direct conversion.
Are people REALLY that stupid?

Ashodin

seady said:
Why do people still do not understand that Japanese pricing =/= American pricing? You don't do direct conversion.
Are people REALLY that stupid?
<Wario64> AHUAHUAHUAHAUHAHUA -gotcha-!

watershed

Banned
I'm glad to at least see that the digital price is less than the retail. Hopefully this will carry over into the US as well. That way over time, Buying games through DD even day one will slowly recoup the costs of the memory card.

Gravijah

artwalknoon said:
I'm glad to at least see that the digital price is less than the retail. Hopefully this will carry over into the US as well. That way over time, Buying games through DD even day one will slowly recoup the costs of the memory card.

Wario64 said:
Digital pricing discount is a Japan thing. Don't expect it to be cheaper in US.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
artwalknoon said:
This is usually done because retailers don't actually charge MSRP.

fernoca

artwalknoon said:
Keep in mind that:
Wario64 said:
Digital pricing discount is a Japan thing. Don't expect it to be cheaper in US.

EDIT:
Beaten, but by Gravijah..so pfft. :p

watershed

Banned
God Dammit!!! Well nevermind then.

Edit: That is a real bummer. DD on all retail games is a great option but without a discount, even a small one, plus the up front cost of a sizable memory card it kind of loses its appeal.

Valnen

xxracerxx said:
$78 right now.

I am not willing to pay $60 for a handheld title.
The funny thing about people not wanting to pay so much for handheld games is that handheld games often have more content these days than console games. So they should actually probably be worth more.

So many handheld games offer 100 hour+ experiences.

Valnen said:
The funny thing about people not wanting to pay so much for handheld games is that handheld games often have more content these days than console games. So they should actually probably be worth more.

good point. Can't think of any ds game that I've spend less than 20 hours on to finish. PSP as well except for the god of war games and the syphon filter titles( I think those were short).

But uncharted, will that give you the bang for your buck, or will it be like the psp god of wars, where graphics and gameplay are great, length, not so much.

Apath

Valnen said:

Many people feel the quality of console games are much higher than that of handheld games. Hence, paying more for less length. Or quality>quantity.

What the fuck at the price difference btw Uncharted and Ridge Racer?! They sure are taxing the main attraction of the launch! I'm importing anyway, but I hope that Uncharted will be more of a 65, 60 dollars kind of deal on Play Asia and when all is said and done.

Bumhead

Banned
Valnen said:

You're right. Its a mentality thing.

But it is still a thing, and its a thing I agree with.

I pay £29.99 for the occassional new PC game on Steam, and I have to be sure its something im going to get my value from at that. As much as I want a Vita, £30 is pushing it to me for games. I'm hoping Sony will learn something from Nintendos suicide software pricing model and that games will come down pretty quickly.

Cipherr

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
What the fuck at the price difference btw Uncharted and Ridge Racer?! They sure are taxing the main attraction of the launch! I'm importing anyway, but I hope that Uncharted will be more of a 65, 60 dollars kind of deal on Play Asia and when all is said and done.

Uncharted is the main attraction for launch in Japan? Lol nah. Mingol is, and that is priced perfectly. I think they got it right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BishopLamont said:
Ridge Racer 3D ¥6,090
Ridge Racer VITA ¥3,980

What..they must have learnt their lesson.

or its SO obviously shovelware from previous PSP or even iphone versions that even Namco can't bring themselves to charge full price for it.

I hope not.

GorillaJu

Games are more expensive in Japan. Tales of Xillia is 7900 yen. That's over $100. Final Fantasy 13 was over $100 as well. What was FF13 in the USA? $59.99, no?

Calm down, boys and girls.

Jonnyram said:
Katamari Damacy pricing:
Retail: 4980 yen
DL: 4480 yen
DL special launch campaign 12/17-3/31: 3980 yen

Jonnyram said:
Conversely, the Ridge Racer prices have just been announced. New thread-worthy?

http://rr.namco-ch.net/rr_psvita/
Retail: 3980 yen
DL: 3580 yen
DL special launch campaign from 12/17-3/31: 2980 yen

Wow! Actual reasonable pricing! Makes a change, though I'm sure that won't be the same over here...

mrklaw said:
or its SO obviously shovelware from previous PSP or even iphone versions that even Namco can't bring themselves to charge full price for it.

I hope not.

for this very reason (consumer expectations, in case I was too subtle...)

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
No problem. Most gaming places will have it for 1000 cheaper than esrp and it'll be under 4000 within 2 or 3 months. No sweat. Looks like I'll be buying alot of vita shit used here.

Dunan

As recently as 2007 it was 120 yen to the dollar, and at that time Y5980 was under $50.

For perspective, a lowly convenience store employee of burger flipper will typically get Y900 or more per hour, probably Y1000. That's an insane $13 now, and if the rate went back to "normal", it would be a US-normal $7-8.

So these games will cost about 6 hours of a 7-11 clerk's wages. If you're doing that job in the US and taking in $6 or $6.50 per hour, it's the same.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
RR is astounding. Even under 4000 Yen... WAT.
And on 3DS, Namco went with 6000+ pricing.
There must be something strange.
Little budget / little content and then DLCallovermyface.
However, Japanese pricing system is much more dynamic than Western one.
Here, Vita games will be at 39,99 $ / 39,99 Euros.
So...enjoy only the madness from Japan!

Takao

Banned
Gacha-pin said:
5,980 is the same price as Uncharted 3 yay vita&#65340;(^o^)&#65295;

If you think that's bad, perv game Dream Club Zero on Vita will cost more than Uncharted, lol.

OoEMC.gif

LiK

Japan prices for games always tend to be higher. Be glad you don't need to pay $80-100+ USD for the AAA games like them.

gogogow

LiK said:
Japan prices for games always tend to be higher. Be glad you don't need to pay $80-100+ USD for the AAA games like them.
Everything in Japan are more expensive. A CD single costs $20, you can buy 2 albums in the US with that kind of money. Let alone the DVDs/BDs which costs ¥4800/5800 which is $62/75.

Jonnyram

Krauser Kat said:
if Digital pricing is cheaper. It will be gangbusters for vita. Retailers would be pissed.
We've already been through that in Japan with the PSP. Sony needs to show retailers who is boss. In a few years, none of this will matter. Retailers will close if they can't live with online distribution.

Krauser Kat said:
if Digital pricing is cheaper. It will be gangbusters for vita. Retailers would be pissed.

except you have to take into account that you need enough memory for those games, etc etc which i'm sure retailers will mention in advertising retail versions. But yes retailers will still be pissed.
also Glad to see many people aren't playing the "Japanese price = English price when converted despite that never being the case" game.

Top Bottom