• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Rubin interview on the THQ auction results, legacy ip auction in a few weeks

What about Platinum picking up the Darksiders IP alone in the second session? After putting out the open invite for jobs to ex-Virgil staff, buy the IP for a fraction of the studio and IP together it would have cost them, then put a new team together made up of a combination of ex-Virgil and Plat staff to work on it? Or is that just foolish dreaming?

sangreal

You're right, I should have phrased that more accurately. Basically what I was trying to ask was why there isn't a bigger interest from publishers in getting a whole new development team for peanuts? And a good one at that.
Is it because publishers fear massive fallout if employees aren't happy with whatever work they are given by the new owners?

it's easier (and cheaper) to just hire the people you want from the studio on your own terms. Saves you the headache of layoffs too. I don't see any reason to buy a studio if you're not interested in any of their assets

I'm a little surprised their was no interest in the game they're developing. My (uneducated) guess is that it was current gen

Glass Rebel

You're right, I should have phrased that more accurately. Basically what I was trying to ask was why there isn't a bigger interest from publishers in getting a whole new development team for peanuts? And a good one at that.
Is it because publishers fear massive fallout if employees aren't happy with whatever work they are given by the new owners?

We really don't know why nobody bid on Vigil, it could have been several reasons like location, perceived lack of a market for the type of game Vigil makes, publishers preferring to create their own studios from scratch... basically, we have no idea.

HoosTrax

What the FUCK. Vigil was such a great dev, how the hell could no one buy them?
Tossing in a minimum bid of $500k is probably a small matter, compared to the expense of running the actual Vigil studio after that's all said and done. I could be wrong, but I don't think Darksiders II actually broken even.

JABEE

I hope the companies that bought the other development studios are in it for the long haul. Some of these studios are nearing the release of their games, but will their new homes want to finance new projects for the different studios.

I wonder if they waited until 2013 to release DS2, would Vigil still have had a chance to survive?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tossing in a minimum bid of $500k is probably a small matter, compared to the expense of running the actual Vigil studio after that's all said and done. I could be wrong, but I don't think Darksiders II actually broken even.

It sold 2.4 million but the revenue generated was ~half a mil shy of its combined production and marketing budget.

Now that THQ is gone, rather wait for the back catalogue to be signed by new owners before buying any of the older games.

Ubisoft should buy the Stuntman IP, both to make the previous games available but more importantly so that Ubisoft Reflections can work on the series again.

SCE sorting out the Devil Dice rights so that it can make the Xi series available once more internationally would also be welcome.

Not sure people need to worry too much about Volition needing the Freespace rights, the studio could always collaborate with Egosoft on a Freespace style game in the X series, or create an entirely new IP with Deep Silver.

Top Bottom