• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Jason Schreier doesn't think Starfield is a 2021 release

Oct 14, 2020
I never stopped believing that 2022 was the more likely scenario. I find it endlessly amusing that so many people get riled up about this stuff. I’ll play the shit out of Starfield whenever it appears.

Feb 15, 2013
London
This should release in late 2022 to avoid another Halo Infinite type embarrassment, but I believe MS will push the devs to squeeze this out premature, and first in-engine trailer will look shite.

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
What a weird thread. Usually we get memes about the opposite of what he says being the truth, yet people seem to be accepting this for some reason.
I still think Starfield is this year, and if its shown at this years E3 then its pretty much a given imo.

Reactions: Andodalf

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Release it when it's ready. Don't need another Cyberpunk, and Bethesda is notorious for bugs.

HeisenbergFX4

Dec 28, 2016
Some Beach
Sky Uno Wow GIF by X Factor Italia

Reactions: Hobbygaming

mortal

Apr 1, 2016
I'm sure Schreier thinks a lot of things, not sure if they're equally thread worthy though.

Plenty of us already think this. It would be significant had the director of the game expressed this.

Sep 29, 2011
Fallout 4 proves otherwise.
But I agree that expectations for this to release in 2021 were highly optimistic.
I had to go look it up, and you're right. I guess I just have a hard time imagining a AAA launch happening without at least a year or more of leaks, screenshots, articles, interviews, etc.

• Strength
Reactions: SafeOrAlone

wipeout364

Jun 13, 2004
I have to say I feel like we would have seen more of the game if it was to be released this year. Have we seen anything other than the logo? It could be a stealth release in that they announce and then release 3-5 months later but that seems like an exception not a rule and its not been Bethesda's way of announcing things in the past has it?

Stephen Curry

Nov 5, 2019
I have to say I feel like we would have seen more of the game if it was to be released this year. Have we seen anything other than the logo? It could be a stealth release in that they announce and then release 3-5 months later but that seems like an exception not a rule and its not been Bethesda's way of announcing things in the past has it?
They’ve done that style for their last 2 releases which is why people still think it’s coming out this year.

Bethesda has consistently put out a game around every 3 years for the last 15, I don’t know why people think it’s shocking to be released in 2021 or early 2022.

Oblivion - 2006
Fallout 3 - 2008
Skyrim - 2011
Fallout 4 - 2015
Fallout 76 - 2018

I fully expected Starfield to come out this year but I wouldn’t be surprised if covid delayed it into early 2022. The Elder Scrolls 6 will release ~2024/25

Reactions: Alpha Male
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still in the camp called
"Starfield was supposed to be out in 2020, but due to COVID and Microsoft purchase, game was delayed to 2021"
The voice of reason in this whole thread. The people who keep whining that 2021 is a ghost town keep forgetting that a pandemic happened. Nearly every game was affected. This entire year is a mulligan.

Reactions: Woopah

mansoor1980

Oct 12, 2020
It really isn't. BGS always put out extremely buggy games at launch. Imagine how bad this one will be if they actually rushed it out to make an arbitrary 2021 release date. Let that thing cook and give it all the time it needs.
and it will still be buggy

Reactions: MrS

TheMay30thMan

Aug 23, 2018
Since no one will give him info anymore, he’s reduced to giving people information that toddlers could surmise lol

Blond

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Sactown
I mean, no duh? Bethesda would already have the hype train going if the game was releasing this year.
Didn't fallout 4 get revealed at E3 and was released later that year? I would think the same situation would happen here to avoid another "radiant AI" situation or Fallout 3 vanishing turret embarrassment that was so bad they outright even removed it in the final game.

SenjutsuSage

Jan 23, 2010
Tough one. Bethesda has done it in the past where they didn't show much of a game up until a few months before release. Normally I would say no way that 2021 is possible for Starfield and I still doubt that it happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see it at E3 this year and a release date this year.

No idea if Halo Infinite + Starfield could work side by side given the SciFi nature though.

Xbox desperately needs big games and 2021 holidays with 2 big games would for sure help sell a ton of Xboxes for Christmas

If Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD 4 and Lost Odyssey can all work within mere months of each other, anything can work no matter how many big releases there may be. I know all of those aren't Microsoft first party titles, but 3 of them were. You may have people who wish to play all of those games and have trouble deciding, but that's fine. You will also have plenty of people who feel Halo doesn't work for them, or isn't something they desire to play more than Lost Odyssey or a Mass Effect. Big releases close together has never been an issue. The idea that it ever was is one of the game industry's longest running myths I think. I'm sure some data somewhere showcases that a big new release having a window to itself can lead to more initial sales, but I'm of the belief that everybody who is interested in a game in that moment and time, will eventually get around to purchasing and playing it. Just avoid same day or within 2 or 3 day releases. Provide at least two to three weeks separation if possible.

skit_data

Nov 3, 2020
I don’t usually take Schreiers word for gospel, his articles often seem to spin a specific agenda but it’s hard to argue against his statements when even Tom Warren chimes in to confirm it

Last edited: