• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier from Kotaku reiterates that devs do not like Lockhart, "significantly less RAM"

Dabaus

Banned
  • Repeats the disinterest from developers for lockhart, says it will have significantly less ram, he has heard developers saying the GPU is basically PS4 Pro level, but the CPU and SSD should improve it beyond that, still developers dont want to be forced to work on lockhart and feel that the SKU will hamper next gen games.
  • says that he has heard of the PS5 launch games, and that they are PS5 only, will probably make an article about it in the future
  • didnt hear about what MS's games, but assume they will target xbox one, PC and Scarlett, like Halo Infinite
  • a big focus will be on accessbility, no need to think anymore about "i only have 1 hour should i go play this?" but instead gives the option of "play for 10 minutes and stop like using netflix" per his examples.
  • One last thing he said, and he isnt sure of himself and said to not take him by his word, so please dont go crazy over this and lurking journalists beware of making an article an this lol, but he said that PS5 and Anaconda are better than "graphics cards like the RTX 2080, what is currently on the market". But again, BIG grain of salt on that statement, and not nearly definitive enough to make articles on before we are repeating the previous jason post in this thread.
Saw it on a resetra forum, "Modiz" was the poster for the summary.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
chloe-moretz-absolutely-disgusting.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
We’ll see (and if this is true). It feels like Microsoft might be better off shipping a cheap Project X-Cloud box as their mainstream outreach.

If it really is that underwhelming, it could be a significant anchor. I don’t have anything against the idea of a cheaper version for mainstream audiences, but it needs some kind of parity.

Thabass

My hold up is, is it REALLY next gen if its significantly less powerful than the PS5/Anaconda? It seems like a very unnecessary half step, especially with xbox one x existing.

Doesn't seem like it does it? Especially given Jason's comments. Still, I feel like it will be an iteration process with the console and with dev feedback, it will improve. But as of now, it's not a great look for sure.

xrnzaaas

So Lockhart will not only be discless but also (significantly?) less powerful than the Scarlett? What's the point of that when they already have the XONE X?

Anyway it's best to wait until next year until all models have specs revealed.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
What the hell is Microsoft doing?

The first Naughty Dog game designed from the ground up as a PS5 only game is going to make this approach look very, very silly.

I have no idea if this is rumor is true or not but it's important to note that it's not really "PS5 vs. Scarlett" next gen. MS is putting their games everywhere. Even if the games launch on a low-end device like this, they will also launch on hardware more powerful than either console.

MS Flight was one of the most impressive games at E3 and that will be launching on a One S. So, we will see. I do wish they would announce the console specs too.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I imagine the Halo guy saying “Lockout”.

I think developers want to max out their graphics cards and not think about optimization on a lower level.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I dont even know what lockheart is

Which system is that supposed to be

The MS "next-gen" console that's supposed to be cheaper than Scarlett, but for 1080p TVs and less only. It's stupid.

How could it be ps4 pro level when xbox one X is significantly more powerful than that?

To save money. Yes, again it's stupid.

With the possibility of including 3-12 months of Xcloud with all Lockhart purchases, it very well might turn out that Scarlett is a souped up version of Lockhart.

Do you think MS has any idea what it's doing? We all have to admit that this is stupid right?

Fake

How could it be ps4 pro level when xbox one X is significantly more powerful than that?
- Less memory?
- A 'Navi-like' gpu less powerful than the GPU inside Xbox One X?
- Maybe no 'ultrafast' SSD?

We only know the parcial specs of 'Scarlett' (Zen, Navi, SSD), not the Lockhart. We even don't know if AMD will supply a similar lower configuration of Scarlett in format of Lockhart for Microsoft.

Birdo

Banned
With next gen consoles rumoured to be about £499, they kind of HAVE to make weaker/cheaper versions.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past thirty years, you'll notice that average Joe does NOT like to spend a lot on consoles.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What a load of garbage fud. All first party games are 10 minute casual games now. You should tell the waste land development team. What next article on how lockheart will kill your dog and sleep with your wife.
Only sleeping tho, it's a dickless console if rumors are true.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Are they trying to position Lockhart as a companion console to the PS5?

Like 'Get a PS5 but also get our cheaper Xbox so you can play our few exclusives or get on gamepass too'?

Personally doesn't interest me but it might have its merits considering the gamepass subscription....

ethomaz

Banned
My opinion since Lockhart rumors started (with MS E3 2018 hinting at two SKUs).

Lockhart will hold the next-gen games... that include MS exclusives and 3rd-party multiplatform.

The exception will be Sony exclusives that will base on PS5.

Having a hardware similar to PS4 Pro as base is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tqaulity

• Repeats the disinterest from developers for lockhart, says it will have significantly less ram, he has heard developers saying the GPU is basically PS4 Pro level, but the CPU and SSD should improve it beyond that, still developers dont want to be forced to work on lockhart and feel that the SKU will hamper next gen games.
  • says that he has heard of the PS5 launch games, and that they are PS5 only, will probably make an article about it in the future
  • didnt hear about what MS's games, but assume they will target xbox one, PC and Scarlett, like Halo Infinite
  • a big focus will be on accessbility, no need to think anymore about "i only have 1 hour should i go play this?" but instead gives the option of "play for 10 minutes and stop like using netflix" per his examples.
  • One last thing he said, and he isnt sure of himself and said to not take him by his word, so please dont go crazy over this and lurking journalists beware of making an article an this lol, but he said that PS5 and Anaconda are better than "graphics cards like the RTX 2080, what is currently on the market". But again, BIG grain of salt on that statement, and not nearly definitive enough to make articles on before we are repeating the previous jason post in this thread.
Saw it on a resetra forum, "Modiz" was the poster for the summary.
Hmm...this is the worst fears realized with regards to Lockhart. It must have the same amount of RAM and the same CPU (Maybe underclocked) as Scarlet in order to not negatively impact Scarlet games. If it's just a Scarlet with a smaller GPU, then theoretically you could make the same next gen game but just run at lower resolution (ala PS4 to PS4 pro). But that system will probably still be more expensive than the price point they are targeting for the low end system.

Also, yet another "rumor" pointing to the next gen consoles not only having GPUs bigger and more powerful than the current 5700 series, but approaching the power of an RTX 20280 as I have been saying for months now. Grain of salt for sure...but he also mentioned just yesterday that both systems will be very similar and VERY POWERFUL....hardly how you would describe a system with a GTX 1080/ RX 5700 level of performance.

With rumoured specs like 24-32gb ram at 24gb at 672gb/s and 32 GB at 1.1terabytes a second ofcourse the GPU will be better than a 2080 with only 11gb of vram I said this before, if nextgen consoles come with 24-32gb vram plus the rumoured faster than ofshelff SSDs then the only competitor would be a rtx titan! With similar 24gb

Fake

My opinion since Lockhart rumors started (with MS E3 2018 hinting at two SKUs).

Lockhart will hold the next-gen games... that include MS exclusives and 3rd-party multiplatform.

The exception will be Sony exclusives that will base on PS5.

Having a hardware similar to PS4 Pro as base is ridiculous.
The only mistery is the Lockhart configuration. BC from both Scarlett and PS5 are in place, but Sony will make some exclusives for PS5.
Microsoft will still make the games across the Xbox Family, but they speak for themselfs. Lets see what third party devs will say. They're not quite happy keep supporting base Xbox One.

Are they trying to position Lockhart as a companion console to the PS5?

Like 'Get a PS5 but also get our cheaper Xbox so you can play our few exclusives or get on gamepass too'?

Personally doesn't interest me but it might have its merits considering the gamepass subscription....
The Companion console had been, and probably will be for many years to come, a Nintendo machine. Xbox would never beat Nintendo on being the "2nd console you buy".

Bryank75

Banned
The only mistery is the Lockhart configuration. BC from both Scarlett and PS5 are in place, but Sony will make some exclusives for PS5.
Microsoft will still make the games across the Xbox Family, but they speak for themselfs. Lets see what third party devs will say. They're not quite happy keep supporting base Xbox One.
Could actually lead to some more exclusives on PS5, much like the PS2 days...

Top Bottom