• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier & Jez Corden: Halo Infinite DLC Cancellation Rumors Are False - There were never any DLCs planned. Game focus was always on GaaS

Draugoth

Gold Member
halo-infinite-ganha-video-de-1-hora-mostrando-o-gameplay-do-modo-cooperativo-075417.jpg

Earlier we had the emergence of a huge rumor regarding 343 Industries and their latest title Halo Infinite. A leaker called Bathrobe Spartan had posted a lot of information that didn't paint a very good picture about the future of the game.

According to rumors, Joseph Staten and his team were working on several story DLCs for the campaign, which would be released over the years. However, with the departure of much of 343 Industries' workforce, including Bonnie Ross, the DLCs would have been cancelled.

After these rumors spread, well-known journalist and insider Jason Schreier of the Bloomberg portal decided to investigate. According to him, although 343 Industries is really focused on multiplayer, such information regarding DLCs is false, as these contents were never in development.

I asked a few people about this information. While it's true that 343 is focused on multiplayer, the stuff about campaign DLC being scrapped is untrue (I don't think there were many plans about it to begin with), and much of the information is either wrong or just speculation.
Jason wasn't the only one who claimed such claims are false.

Windows Central journalist Jez Corden shared the same, stating that the DLCs for the story never got beyond just conversations.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
So all those devs just made cat ears and armor coatings?

I enjoy halo infinites gameplay, it’s some of the series best. But man, what were the devs doing if they were working on the multiplayer only.

The game has gotten no new vehicles, no new guns, and only 2 new maps.

Saber

Gold Member
"never any DLCs planned"

Sounds like they never had a plan at all. Let's just throw out "10 year" and "Gaas" and hope no one figures it out.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but I'm certain this strategy is common with a fuck lot of Gaas. This probably happen with the likes of Anthem, throw shit in the wall and if it sticks we proceed with something.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but I'm certain this strategy is common with a fuck lot of Gaas. This probably happen with the likes of Anthem, throw shit in the wall and if it sticks we proceed with something.

If the strategy is provide less content then it is working. I hope Jim Ryan is taking notice.

I laugh every time.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Last edited:

dottme

So we have a great mastery.
option 1:
343 was having a long undoable 10years plan and promise a lot of updates but just say fuck you to the people who believe them.
Option 2:
343 was lying from the beginning and Halo infinite was a big fuck you to their fan.

Banjo64

cumsessed
In a way it’s worse that nothing was even in development. Wtf were they doing over there????
Saw a post on r/Halo that speculated that because MS relied so heavily on contractors, who have now left, that the game’s code is a big shitty hodge podge which is why it’s taking 343 months to fix things like an armour effect that’s not correctly aligned and why the ‘progress’ on the game is basically none existent. Could be bullshit, but there has to be some reason as to why after 7 years and vast amounts of cash and resources were left with a bare bone beta of a product.

Ansphn

Honestly this actually makes it worst and put a light on Xbox/Microsoft's true vision of Gamepass. Gamepass future was a subscription wall garden filled with mostly GAAS games so they can make you pay monthly and sell Micro-transactions to you.

“Jokes on you, we never intended on working on additional single player content to begin with suckers”

So lets be honest here, they intended for this to be a 10 year game, with no new Halo’s for the next foreseeable future and that was all the story content they had planned for it?

Either they are highly incompetent or they are lying

Last edited:

Stuart360

“Jokes on you, we never intended on working on additional single player content to begin with suckers”

So lets be honest here, they intended for this to be a 10 year game, with no new Halo’s for the next foreseeable future and that was all the story content they had planned for it?

Either they are highly incompetent or they are lying
Why do you care?

Ansphn

The last four big Game Pass releases were High on Life, Persona 3 and 4, and MH Rise. None of those are GaaS.
That's why I said mostly. Halo, Forza and Redfall would originally have micro-transactions. Have a feeling Starfield will have some type of purchase point system.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Halo has never had single player dlc in its history. Why start now?

0f09c8324c70d1cdcb4839c3f8b596bad5811507.png

Because 343 did a crap job of ending the campaign, and that was the only way to salvage it unfortunately.

And what eaxactly are you trying to argue exactly with that snippet? Review scores are meaningless.

octiny

Banned
https://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/22/bungie-launches-halo-3-odst-at-seattle-event

"ODST was originally planned as an expansion pack for Halo 3 but grew into a completely new standalone game. "

Yep, ODST was a stand alone spin off & sold separately, including physical copies. Not "DLC".

It was counted as the 4th installment, per their contract w/ MS at the time.

Edit: Also sold at full price too, $60, as it was an entirely new game/installment into the franchise

Last edited:
Top Bottom