• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier (Kotaku Splitscreen) : "Sony will have PS5 only titles at launch"

Psykodad

Banned
If anything it's Sony telling me to sell my Pro while it's still worth something because in 10 or so months it will be a total redundancy.
Because those 7 years worth of games won't be playable anymore on your newly bought PS4 because the industry moves onto next-gen?

People who buy q current-gen console this late in it's lifespan obviously don't care about next-gen, want to spend less money or just should've informed themselves better.

If we're about to enter a building and I decide to hold the door open as I'm in front, then you decide to smoke a cigarette first, you really expect me to stand there waiting for you while holding the door open like you're some kind of princess?

Last edited:

demigod

PS5 is backward compatible, so with this Sony is saying you are stupid if you buy a PS4 now

Not really. Not everyone willing to spend $500 and on expensive games.

No, because the PlayStation 5 renders it redundant by being fully backward compatible with it.

It’s not redundant if people want to pay less. Those people that are waiting for a pricedrop are not the ones that will be going out to drop $500 on a console.

Last edited:

Dunnas

My first post after browsing for a couple of years and then signing up many months ago, so please go easy on me. ;)

One thing I haven’t seen questioned is why people just seem to assume the PS5 exclusives in the first year were actually built ground up for PS5. Isn’t it more than likely that some or all were originally planned for PS4 or cross gen, but then Sony decided they would be made next gen exclusives at a later date, to push people towards upgrading sooner? Therefore, the real situation may in reality be no different for Sony than MS games in the first year, with neither pushing next gen consoles in any real way that wouldn’t be possible on the current gen.

What is also being overlooked by nearly everyone is just how few MS first party games this will likely actually apply to, if it really is only the first year of next gen. We’re probably looking at the only big games being Halo (which was always going to be cross gen) and Forza (which is the sort of game that would likely be held back a lot less than most) and then maybe 4-5 smaller games from some of the smaller studios and second teams of larger studios, that weren’t likely to push any boundaries in game design even if next gen exclusive.

That said, my main concern in regards to cutbacks is in the online components of the big games, if cross gen lobbies are the only option.

The other thing that is annoying me most is all the people saying that people will have no incentive to upgrade to the Series X. It seems they all conveniently forget that most people own an original one or one s and that recent games are already looking and running like shit on those consoles, with dynamic res dropping to 720p or even lower at times and barely ever holding the target frame rate. They will have plenty Of incentive to upgrade once they see the difference in how games look and run on the series x. And no, not everyone wants to play games on PC, FFS.

I was worried you'd only get a XSX and have to wait at least another year to see what next-gen actually looked like.
Hahaha

611244285463101464.png

xrnzaaas

that is a stupid post. Only last year they have sold over 14 million consoles to new clients

the more 100 million of PS4 on the market didn’t sell on 2013

if the games are truly next gen, ok, but if Sony is gimping titles that could run on PS4 to sell more PS5 is unacceptable
And I'm happy for the people who just bought PS4's, they have an incredible 6 year library to pick from. :) We'll see when they'll reveal big first party PS5 games, I still think that exclusively moving forward to the new console is the way to go. Sony would make a shitty move if they delayed current games like TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima to make them PS5 only titles, but if they're made from scratch with PS5 in mind we should be able to see the difference. :)

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Games are scalable to a point. You can up the resolution, textures, and other non cpu intensive graphical effects. But if you are designing a game around say a Ryzen cpu, using it for better AI, physics, massive increase in draw calls. That isn't easily scalable. When you are going from Jaguar to Ryzen, there is massive increase in CPU performance. Any game designed for for the Ryzen cores would have to be redesigned for Jaguar cores, which would result in massive differences in gameplay (less enemies on screen, simpler physics, braindead AI, less complex backgrounds, and anything else CPU bound).

It is scalable, it's the same 30yo x86 architecture/instructions, Zen won't be able to do anything Jaguar can't, it will just calculate things longer, much longer, and as a result what will "scale down" will be the framerate. Late PS360 games run literally at 24-26FPS, 28 tops, literally, and that didn't make any of the people who were late to the party or those simply not wanting to spend money on new consoles to all of a sudden jump onto new generation. So what are the odds of the history not repeating itself? I mean base XB1 running games at sub-30FPS? UC4 even used 15FPS animations for the crowds to save up precious processing time, I don't see a single reason why the current-gen console can't start widely using such trick. Or cutting some animations completely, like grass/trees waving on the wind vs being completely static.

Tulipanzo

I don't even know why I enter these threads as it's filled with the same cancer. I love that you tried some sort of gotcha moment by including MS.
You're being sold a different console that has minimal improvements so you can play the games that they lock to that system. But apparently you see that as a positive so I'll let you be.
I thought 8x the X1 and 2x the X1X was impressive.
12TF is a "minimal improvement" apparently...

You are so blind to your brand that you'd rather downplay their accomplishments than admit their strategy is bad.

Last edited:

Helios

You are so blind to your brand that you'd rather downplay their accomplishments than admit their strategy is bad.
I'm the blind one, but you're the one that thinks everyone who disagrees with you is an xbox fanboy. Sure. Miss me with this console warring bullshit.

Tulipanzo

I'm the blind one, but you're the one that thinks everyone who disagrees with you is an xbox fanboy. Sure. Miss me with this console warring bullshit.
Apparently saying "SeX is pretty good, and a major improvement over current gen" is warring?

I don't understand why you continue to downplay MS accomplishments...

I like what I hear and will get the PS5 about 6 months after launch unless they ship a broken brick. It will be my 7th Sony system. That said, I only had a PSX emulator. So the 6,5th?

Yes, I have a modded to hell Vita.

Tulipanzo

I like what I hear and will get the PS5 about 6 months after launch unless they ship a broken brick. It will be my 7th Sony system. That said, I only had a PSX emulator. So the 6,5th?

Yes, I have a modded to hell Vita.
I actually never bothered to count!
Let's see:

PS: 9 (+PSVR)
2 PSXs: Slim + Fat (from my cousins)
1 PS2s: Slim
2 PS3s: Slim (og mine) + fat (bought last year for BC)
1 PS4 + 1 PS4 Pro
1 PSP
1 Vita
1 PSVR

Nintendo: 8
1 GB Advance
2 DSs: og + DSi; shared with my sis
1 New 3DS
1 Wii
1 Switch
edit: 1 SNES + 1 N64: bought used for retro-gaming, almost forgot!

MS: 1 (none currently)
1 XB1: og, traded it in for a copy of DmC5 (PS4)

The memories...

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sounds like they are giving more reason to buy a PS5 at launch, while Xbox is trying to ease their crowds into next gen. More evidence console sales don't matter as much to Microsoft.

I personally think, marketing-wise, Sony has the better strategy. Applying pleasant pressure to get people on board with next-gen as soon as possible. Much as I like what Xbox is doing, I think this is a misstep from a business perspective.

I get the feeling maybe, Xbox's new studios won't have as many games ready for launch and this could be a reason they are prepping people for a slower transition into next gen. It's almost like they are saying, we'll have the box if you want it, but if you wanna play the new games on your X or S, that's cool too. Mind you, I'm pretty sure Sony will have cross gen games as well, but I think the best way to do this is to have both cross gen and next gen exclusives at launch.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Watched this a bit ago, found it interesting. I know MBG is a Sony guy (former Xbox guy), but he covers some input from DF (John Linneman) that I hadn't seen before.

GHG

Gold Member
Watched this a bit ago, found it interesting. I know MBG is a Sony guy (former Xbox guy), but he covers some input from DF (John Linneman) that I hadn't seen before.

If they enforce this on 3rd parties as well then the implications will not just be for Xbox games, it will be for all next gen games. That's the biggest issue here IMO.

Psykodad

Banned
If they enforce this on 3rd parties as well then the implications will not just be for Xbox games, it will be for all next gen games. That's the biggest issue here IMO.
Don't worry. Scaling is easy.
MS is doing the gaming community a service.

/s

Grinchy

Banned
The fact that they're only talking about this being for the launch year tells us that this isn't even something they're actually doing. They just don't have any next-gen software ready yet and they're dressing up the bad news now so it doesn't seem as bad against Sony's lineup of actual next-gen games on top of cross-gens.

demigod

The fact that they're only talking about this being for the launch year tells us that this isn't even something they're actually doing. They just don't have any next-gen software ready yet and they're dressing up the bad news now so it doesn't seem as bad against Sony's lineup of actual next-gen games on top of cross-gens.

Damn.....there will be 46million angry xbox fans in 2021. Why isn't MS thinking of the consumers???

ZywyPL

Banned

I really "love" the next-gen speculations/discussions - we're still almost a year away from the actual release of the new hardware, let alone seeing what will work, what will not, what the general market will pick, but all the narratives over the internet are that everything is "confirmed", like it's already 2025 and we're halfway into the actual PS5/XBX generation - Sony already lost, MS already lost, Sony already won, MS already won, 9.2TF, 12TF, RT, no RT, exclusive, no exclusives, I don't even know anymore if it's funny or pathetic LOL.

The best thing is tho, all those whiny kids who complain about supporting the older consoles will suck up yet another FiFa, CoD etc. without even blinking an eye, many games simply don't change much throughout the generations, no matter what the hardware is. I mean, you can't reinvent football even if you're making the game for 64C/128T Threadripper. I won't be even surprised is many of the naysayers will double-dip the enhanced editions whenever they'll show up, like LToU2, GoT that are almost guaranteed, and I can see GoW and DS being strong candidates as well. Heh I'll laugh out loud if at the end of the it will turn out that the people who support the old gen titles the most are actually the PS players - "But the enhancements! They add up to the experience, they make the game so much better!" xD Now I'm writing like Im form the future LOL.

EDMIX

One thing I haven’t seen questioned is why people just seem to assume the PS5 exclusives in the first year were actually built ground up for PS5. Isn’t it more than likely that some or all were originally planned for PS4 or cross gen, but then Sony decided they would be made next gen exclusives at a later date, to push people towards upgrading sooner?

Unlikely.

PS4 has a larger install base like PS3 had a larger install base at the release of PS4.

By that logic, The Last Of Us should only be on PS4, consider its release is a mere 6 months before the release of the PS4, so clearly they knew for years it was in development along side PS4. Yet, The Last Of Us is a PS3 game and I don't think Sony believes they are going to REALLY fool people into believing that is a ground up PS4 title when you see the likes of Infamous Second Son, Uncharted 4 etc So I think they are only putting on PS5 titles that clearly are created to actually market the PS5, no different then stuff like Knack, Driveclub, Killzone SF were created to market the PS4.

No way in hell where those PS3 games.

So I'm doubtful that Sony has held anything back for PS5 as even GT6 released on PS3 AFTER PS4's official release. The reality is, when Sony has a larger install base and a game is made for that system, they simply just release that game because the goal is to move software when they can at a max install base. If it can be ported and remastered, it will be as it means they just double dip and have 2 releases, but from what I've seen, unless its a real technical reason why the game just can't be made on a current system and MUST be created on a the new platform like ICO was for PS2 or even The Last Guardian was for PS4, you'll see it release where it was developed to release on.

I'm very, very doubtful that Sony has had Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or something in development for PS4 and just told them put PS5 on the box as I just don't see them ignoring 100 million units when they simply can just double dip with a remaster and make MORE MONEY! All putting a ONLY PS5 sticker will do, is make their titles look inferior and have folks question the jump.

Putting it on PS4 if it was made for PS4 and just remastering means they can make more money and save the PS5 only titles as the showcase titles to move both units of hardware and software. I don't see enough to really entertain they are purposely moving any titles to PS5 to make them launch games, as Sony in the past hasn't really done that with titles that where HUGE AAA Monsters.

The Last Of Us and GT6 release on PS3 mere months before and even after PS4's release should show they have no interest in doing that.

God Of War 2 releasing after PS3's launch shows they have no interest in that.

Enough shows they don't really have a desire to do that. I think they want to max out what they can get from the install base and at best will simply release on both like a remaster after the fact ala The Last Of Us.

EDMIX

I hadn't thought of that.

When I heard that other XB system was still being made, the 4TFLOP one, thats what made me realize XB Series X is simply their XBONE X version, simply them releasing BOTH day 1. Developers making games on the least common means 4TFLOPS will be their base, just like XONE was the base this gen and not XBONE X.

This might mean that the PS5 though being less then the Series X, is more then their actual base system as all titles are being made on PS5 to max PS5's specs, thats not sounding like the case for XB Series X if its indeed the "Pro" version of their series.

XBONE X and PS4 Pro didn't have games being made 100% ONLY for them to even care about that extra power if it was simply being used to scale something up. So I'm semi worried.

DrAspirino

Banned
Damn.....there will be 46million angry xbox fans in 2021. Why isn't MS thinking of the consumers???
I'm an xbox consumer and I'm pretty happy they're doing this, since I'm kinda short on money. I'll buy the Series X when it drops price a bit, since outside the US consoles are really expensive.

I really don't understand you, guys: are you really that die-hard fans of a company that you're willing to allow anti-consumer practices for the sake of exclusives? I mean... don't you even care about your consumer rights and what's best for you, and NOT for the multinational company?

If anything it's Sony telling me to sell my Pro while it's still worth something because in 10 or so months it will be a total redundancy.
The truth.

Honestly counting down the days until i pick up my brand new PS5 and disconnect this PS4 Pro to be put on display instead. Its so fucking loud even after i reapplied really good thermal paste and got new heat pads. I really can't stand gaming without my Steelseries heaphones.
I love Playstation but fuck me they did really screw up the cooling system of the PS4 Pro. Try playing Modern Warfare on a PS4 Pro. It makes me nervous with the fans going full tilt.

DrAspirino

Banned
When I heard that other XB system was still being made, the 4TFLOP one, thats what made me realize XB Series X is simply their XBONE X version, simply them releasing BOTH day 1. Developers making games on the least common means 4TFLOPS will be their base, just like XONE was the base this gen and not XBONE X.

This might mean that the PS5 though being less then the Series X, is more then their actual base system as all titles are being made on PS5 to max PS5's specs, thats not sounding like the case for XB Series X if its indeed the "Pro" version of their series.

XBONE X and PS4 Pro didn't have games being made 100% ONLY for them to even care about that extra power if it was simply being used to scale something up. So I'm semi worried.

Writing for IGN, journalist Zenj Nishikawa reports that Sony is firing with both barrels when it comes to next year's PlayStation launch.

Nishikawa was reportedly told at developer conference CEDEC that "Sony executives are launching two PlayStation models that are different in their performance."
IF (and it's a big "if") this happens to be true, then it isn't crazy to think that, since Microsoft is supposedly doing the same thing, games would target the lowest end and then upscale on the more powerful models. In fact, that's the beauty of the x86 architecture: it's mature enough that allows devs to scale games up or down, based on the specs.

demigod

I'm an xbox consumer and I'm pretty happy they're doing this, since I'm kinda short on money. I'll buy the Series X when it drops price a bit, since outside the US consoles are really expensive.

I really don't understand you, guys: are you really that die-hard fans of a company that you're willing to allow anti-consumer practices for the sake of exclusives? I mean... don't you even care about your consumer rights and what's best for you, and NOT for the multinational company?

And what are you? You’re exactly what you’re accusing us of. You tried to say Sony is anti-consumer by saying TLoU2 is now exclusive to ps5, you failed miserably.

My consumer rights would be for the company to utilize the power of the machine as best as they can for the product i’m paying for. I don’t want no half-assed game because it’ being held back by previous gen, THAT IS ANTI-CONSUMER.

For over 30 years, gamers have been enjoying launch day exclusives, even your precious xbox one had them. Just because MS decides to change their business strategy doesn’t mean all their competitors customers are sucking up to them.

So again i ask, where was the outcry when xbox one had launch day exclusives? If they’re so anti-consumer for that, why did you buy an xbox one?

Youre delusional if you think ANY corporate business entity is pro consumer...some of you guys need to stop this nonsense.

DrAspirino

Banned
Youre delusional if you think ANY corporate business entity is pro consumer...some of you guys need to stop this nonsense.
Actually, that was the point I was trying to make.

If a user bought a Wii U, even if it was DoA, Nintendo continued to support it and released it's swann song (BoTW) along with the launch of Nintendo Switch. The Wii U user never felt left behind because Nintendo never left them behind. Same with Xbox 360 users (that, to this day, they still receive free games via Xbox Live Gold), same with the Google-made phones that supports their devices even if they're 3-4 years old. Those are pro-users moves, and obviously they're not doing this from the goodness of their heart. As a bussiness strategy, is far better than slapping customers in the face telling them their "old" (while still functional) product is now dead.

In the end, it's all about creating loyalty to a brand (while not f*cking with the consumer) and that's all about it.

Now, what I think Sony would do is exactly what Microsoft is doing: strengthening it's active PS+ userbase (roughly 38.8 millions) and secure them into their walled garden. That way they kill two birds with one stone: keep the money flow steady and please current customers.

Nero_PR

Banned
Is the Second not good? I've only finished the 1st and to complete the other 2
It is the weakest of the franchise. They tried to streamline it to go toe on toe with some trends of other shooters from its time. Notable examples are: They removed the life packs you had to get during the stages to use an auto-healing recovery system; They removed the weapon wheel to carry only 2 guns at a time system; The single-player story campaign had now an option of online co-op up to 8 players (it was the most ambitious thing the game had under its name, but they got rid of the couch co-op mode); The multiplayer was up to 60 players, but it felt a downgrade from the first with its game modes. It was fun, but it was pure chaos; Oh, and they killed the main protagonist, which generally it is not a good thing (look at what Assassin's Creed franchise turned out to be, but Ubisoft did that so they could milk the franchise and no one would complain about the main story going nowhere).

In resume, the game wasn't that bad, but they changed core mechanics that defined what Resistance really was as a franchise. The second game left a bad taste in the mouth for some gamers, explaining why the third iteration had not enough hype. The third game is the best of the three gameplay-wise, the story is debatable. It had great guns (weapon wheel was back), the couch co-op was reintroduced, weapons had levels and upgraded as they were used, health packs were back too, multiplayer was more refined.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

It is scalable, it's the same 30yo x86 architecture/instructions, Zen won't be able to do anything Jaguar can't, it will just calculate things longer, much longer, and as a result what will "scale down" will be the framerate. Late PS360 games run literally at 24-26FPS, 28 tops, literally, and that didn't make any of the people who were late to the party or those simply not wanting to spend money on new consoles to all of a sudden jump onto new generation. So what are the odds of the history not repeating itself? I mean base XB1 running games at sub-30FPS? UC4 even used 15FPS animations for the crowds to save up precious processing time, I don't see a single reason why the current-gen console can't start widely using such trick. Or cutting some animations completely, like grass/trees waving on the wind vs being completely static.

What if they use the drastic increase in CPU for AI? It would have to be massively dumbed down. Or physics? I'm not talking about tacked on physics like PhysX, but gameplay built around that. And that's not even taking into account the massive increase in draw calls. Doing little cutbacks in animations won't cut it because the increase in CPU power is much much larger than it was last gen to this gen. Add to that fast SSDs being standard. We are talking about some very shitty ports coming to current gen consoles or massively held back games where the Ryzen cores are sitting idle most of the time. The Jaguar cores were already a massive pain in the ass this gen and no doubt held back the PS4 Pro and XB1X.

If Xbox really is doing what you are claiming, they would be promising Xbox One support for the lifetime of Scarlet.
Microsoft is only keeping the support for 1 year after Scarlet's launch. Maybe you need to ask yourself if they were serious about being pro-consumer, or they just needed an excuse for their Scarlet Exclusives being one year behind schedule.

All the talk about "scaling down", doesn't explain why MS didn't promise to do this indefinitely. Why not promise scaled down Scarlet games forever? Why only do this for 12 months, and not after?

And it's not like any of them are bad games, but it's reaching the point of "really guys?"...

Like ffs do something else, they're so risk averse these days it's not even funny. Give MS all the shit you want, they're taking risks on obscure shit which is more akin to how the gaming industry used to operate.

Top Bottom