• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier (Kotaku) wins 3 Kunkel Awards and drama appears

BANGS

Banned
God it's cringey when grown men say shit like "Just know I'm listening and I'm sorry if came off as dismissing your pain." You're an enabler to their disease!

Somewhat ironic that Jason Schreier is being attacked by the same kind of people that his website has supported and promoted the agenda of for years. They always eat their own eventually. So ridiculous.
That's not ironic, that's unfortunate. What's ironic is posting that statement of this website of all places...

Last edited:
Oh hey, look at the usual suspects circling like vultures around another internet controversy, trying to put themselves into the spotlight for those sweet sweet victim bucks. Can't let Schreier have his 5 minutes of hysteria, oh no, gotta milk that silly drama for all it's worth. And these are the people claiming the moral high ground? Give me a break! All of the people involved in this twitter feud are ridiculous and outright shitty people. Why anybody ever would listen to what these people have to say is beyond me.

If Schreier had a backbone, he would stand true to his words. Look at him grovel out of fear of bringing the wrath of the twitter victim brigade upon himself and being ostracized from the cultish San Francisco social justice clique. These people are their own worst enemies, quickly willing to throw each other under the bus when opportunity strikes. They have no merit pointing fingers at others. Mobbing, outrage and drama follows them wherever they go, because it's what these social media vultures strive upon.

And of course we have Danika Harrod of Waypoint (but of course...) butting in, joining the witch hunt and sucking up to her cronies in order to profile herself. She and her friends are seething with jealousy because some guy won an award and got a little bit of internet attention:

NNRr7qx.png

BnLbmh2.png

'Mindhare'... really? They talk about their reader base like it's the frikkin' stock market! They don't care about other people, attention is all they crave. Like parasites they want to take up rent inside your head and for that they are willing to forsake their last ounce of human decency.

Last edited:

sensor

Is it just me or does this twitter thread read like satire?

A: “I dont care about reward, beacause its GG stuff and we were victims too”
B: “How dare you think you are a victim, only women are victims”
A: “Of course we are victims too”
C: “You ain’t no victim like me”
A: “Don’t forget we also had females affected”
C: “Don’t care, you ain’t no victim”

It feels like a lot of discourse of this nature basically boils down to "who has the most right to be angry". It's a bore.

Fbh

Yep. It reads like "I'm offended that you are offended because I have more of a reason to be offended so you being offended is offensive towards me"

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The tone at Gaf is a lot different now lol. I like it.
It's definitely a lot more relaxed, and it's refreshing that jokingly praising Lara Croft's bum doesn't get you banned. I've seen Era label GAF as a GamerGate haven, but I don't see it.

Nymphae

Banned
I've seen Era label GAF as a GamerGate haven, but I don't see it.

In the sense that you can post non-approved opinions here and not get a ban for it, sure lol. I saw some people getting bans the other day at Era for sexualizing women or something, they were literally posts that said "i like tiddies." I mean, sure it's a shitpost, but Era and gaf have never had a problem with those.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
In the sense that you can post non-approved opinions here and not get a ban for it, sure lol. I saw some people getting bans the other day at Era for sexualizing women or something, they were literally posts that said "i like tiddies." I mean, sure it's a shitpost, but Era and gaf have never had a problem with those.
I saw someone there posting a funny gif reaction to a pic of her bum. Hell, it happened to me here when the old mods were drunk with power. But I can totally understand more vulgar posts receiving a ban though.

Last edited:

makaveli60

It is unbelievable that Gaf is now one of the most rational places on the internet (at least among the sites I visit), while not so long ago it was like an asylum.:D I really like it.

Nymphae

Banned
I saw someone there posting a funny gif reaction to a pic of her bum. Hell, it happened to me here when the old mods were drunk with power. But I can totally understand more vulgar posts receiving a ban though.

Sure, it just made me laugh seeing ban notices in the thread saying "banned for sexualizing women" lol.

John Day

Quite pathethic really. “Support me but you are below me! Know your place!”

Man the web sure has bred some pleople 😒

lifa-cobex

'Mindhare'... really? They talk about their reader base like it's the frikkin' stock market! They don't care about other people, attention is all they crave. Like parasites they want to take up rent inside your head and for that they are willing to forsake their last ounce of human decency.

TBF treating the internet "news" media as a stock market isn't a bad analogy.
Over the past eight or so years, the internet news seems to have skyrocketed. Each and everyone of them are after those tasty tasty clicks.
It's just a cluster fuck for a mess atm. Everyone of them seem to just be up against to clock to beat each other out for that breaking headline.
They have no time for meaningful thought or research.

However, what they can craft is a mindset for you to invest in. A mindset that is a slow burn and the only real thing they can consistently keep.
"Invest with me! I'm the hot take on everything progressive." Everything around that e.g news or think pieces is just food for the machine.

Imagine studying and paying your way through uni to become a journalist only to be met at the end of it with a low paying job where you're easily replaceable.
You have a major amount of debt to pay and no real way to become that super duper journalist that everyone will recognise. Plus that clock only ticks forward.
The only thing you have is your name and the stock that goes with it. To help that get up the money ladder you have to beat out the market, "Your narrative is shit. Mine is the one to invest with".

I feel bad for these folks. Not in the patronising way.
I'm sure they have moments (like the rest of us) where they might stop and think "fuck am i really doing the right thing here".
When you've invested so much of your life into it and it's all you know.......

Or maybe i'm thinking into it too much and giving them too much credit.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nothing beats his tweets saying Kotaku employees are not bloggers but journalists. Yeah right the website is a joke.

Well.....what's wrong with bloggers? Weird that he wants to draw that kind of line.

BANGS

Banned
Quite pathethic really. “Support me but you are below me! Know your place!”

Man the web sure has bred some pleople 😒
These Oppression Olympics have gone on too long, and the poor "allies" that get brainwashed by it all are the real victims...

Christ that twitter exchange in the OP is just... Sad. It's like a race to see who's the biggest victim and it's just terrifying that publicly displaying weakness is not only okay but rather a point of pride.

Also:

Jason Schreier won three awards for excellence in journalism

1519311198466.jpg

Harlock

Imagine the fear of working in game media and, at any moment, you can become a herege. Not surprise the hypocrisy is the norm. They are harvesting what planted.

Omegatron

Neo Member
Looks like Jason "If we put all the blame on GamerGate, then maybe people will forget that I'm actually part of the problem" Schreier, finally gets a run in with people even deeper down the self-victimization hole than he and his website is and it's glorious.

What makes it even better is that the people coming after him, are the ones he sided with back when this whole shit show began.

As someone who was part of GamerGate back at the very start of the movement's existence, it fills me with great joy when seeing multiple of my enemies fight each other like this.

In case any of you are wondering, I dropped out of GG after a month or two after it was given that name, since I felt that the original message it stood for kinda got lost somewhere.

IaN_GAF

These people seem absolutely obsessed with being a victim. I wonder if they are just hopelessly insecure or afraid.

ancelotti

I feel like GG and every related story has completely hit semantic satiation with me. I mean I get it, but I also have to hold on to whatever fleeting brain cells I have remaining. That said, it's comical how completely lacking in self-awareness they are about this. The very definition of living in a bubble.

Petrae

What a joke.

Games journalism in 2018, ladies and gentlemen.

Same as it was in 2017. And 2016. And 2015.

The state of the business hasn’t been great for a long time, as writers make themselves the story— both in their work and on social media. It’s disappointing to see just how far things have fallen in terms of quality.

The constant need for traffic, engagement, and manufactured content waters everything down... while the oversaturation of gaming websites means that there’s plenty of shit being slung as each battles for every view and every cent of rapidly disappearing ad revenue.

And now that the gaming media has to deal with the rapid rise in popularity of streamers and YouTube influencers who are wresting the spotlight away? It gets even more ugly, more controversial.

Last edited:

decisions

Bwahaha that Twitter thread is hilarious.

Schreier, trying not to piss anyone off, faces the consequences of being in an industry of the professionally pissed off.

Last edited:
You're the only person I know here. I sure hope Chaz leaves ERA

On the topic, Jason is a good gaming journalist, it's a shame he got himself dog piled like a piece of meat.

@RiccochetJ I've been running this place for about 16 years and I'm still running it...aren't I? *checks for corporeal body* :D Yeah, while I don't pay much attention to games journalists, Jason seemed to do good work, friends and folks here say good things about his book, etc. He had been a gaffer regular for a long time. We had a rapport and he invited me to do an AMA on Kotaku some time ago (should be searchable in our archives) which was handled fairly well and protected from coordinated trolling attempts launched against it (phew, that internet...) by their AMA mods there. Kotaku used to be banned as a source on GAF for a long time, but I unbanned them when they seemed a little more legitimate, I personally cooled off our community on the Kotaku hate to give them a chance and not hate for hate's sake and established friendly relations proactively.

And then the above. I don't think I said anything on the boards at the time about this (couldn't realistically), but it was rather disappointing behavior that stood out as one of the most cowardly and duplicitous from a public name in the gaming scene at the time.

Happily shilling his book on Neogaf one day, a regular here for years, and asking me favors at the time ---> getting ahead of all the legitimate outlets (who actually took some kind of time to research and fact check and source properly at least) so Kotaku could run a trashy smear article first w/ Jason's "should have seen the warning signs sooner" a couple days later?

Kotaku's story was the first main press coverage and fueled the fire of the *intense* witch hunt undoubtedly. That witch hunt went after a bunch of people, and did harm all over on personal levels and no doubt damaged NeoGAF tremendously, setting the public narrative in place from that point. People were called at their jobs to try to get them fired, businesses were threatened, all sorts of harm spread around to anything seen as remotely associated with NeoGAF. Jason vouched for the piece though and claimed extensive fact-checking had been involved. He has some interesting standards if that's the case.

All things considered, I don't see a reputable, ethical, honest person there. That's sub-Daily Mail class work, while trying to retcon himself out of the picture on NeoGAF to get out of the way of his own team's hatchet job. Any awards for that, maybe?

Thanks for the transparency. Bit of an eye opener how indirect agendas can impact digital communities such as this one. The reactive outrage last year for me asked a lot of questions about how this digital medium has diminished people's ability for proper discourse in the general society.

"Until an hour before the Devil fell, God thought him beautiful in Heaven."

Arthur miller- The crucible

So fascinating to see so many people turn their backs on a community theu helped build from information that was not completely verified. I know that people's attention spans are lower and this increases their need for validation in a more timely manner which may contribute to such reactive conclusions, it is a very interesting period we live in as a society.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Thanks for the transparency. Bit of an eye opener how indirect agendas can impact digital communities such as this one. The reactive outrage last year for me asked a lot of questions about how this digital medium has diminished people's ability for proper discourse in the general society.

"Until an hour before the Devil fell, God thought him beautiful in Heaven."

Arthur miller- The crucible

So fascinating to see so many people turn their backs on a community theu helped build from information that was not completely verified. I know that people's attention spans are lower and this increases their need for validation in a more timely manner which may contribute to such reactive conclusions, it is a very interesting period we live in as a society.
Admittedly I was caught up in the whole thing, but ResetEra always struck me as a clique banding together to captialize on the controversy for the internet fame they always seemed to crave.

Last edited:

klosos

If it was someone like Ian Kane , i would have some sympathy but because its the sniffling little pompous prick like schreier i couldn't care less and sit back and enjoy the free entertainment

Which % of those involved in this "twitter drama" are actually journalists?
Jason is probably the only one.

On a side note, it's quite fascinating that Zoe Quinn (@UnburntWitch) hasn't changed at all to this day. Nearly three years since the GG movement ended and she is still acting like a professional victim.

Anything for attention, huh?

Jason is probably the only one.

On a side note, it's quite fascinating that Zoe Quinn (@UnburntWitch) hasn't changed at all to this day. Nearly three years since the GG movement ended and she is still acting like a professional victim.

Anything for attention, huh?

When that Patreon money starts to run dry...

Which % of those involved in this "twitter drama" are actually journalists?

Trick question, the answer is actually zero.

Ka-Kui

Person A: I'm a victim
Person B: No, you're not a victim
Person A: I was victimised
Person B: Not a victim like me therefore you're not a victim
Person A: Bla, bla, victim, bla
Person B: Bla, bla.

That's what I somewhat got from the conversation.

Honestly though I can't keep up who's pushing what agenda, so I had a difficult time trying to grasp what I was meant to be looking at and in what context.

It's funny looking at all this from outside in though and amongst relatively sane people here at gaf.

Endokin

Neo Member
Where are the awards for crap journalism? That needs to be a thing...

Also, behold the left eating itself onfront of your very eyes.
This so much!! Right here! The left really needs to take a step back and think about the issues they jump on, stop being so emotional, specially attacking people who are on the same side of things yet slightly say the wrong thing. We are all human, attacking people only pushes them away and goes against the purpose

MayauMiao

If Jason Schreier wants to continue to be good at doing his job and remain relevant in gaming journalism he should just ignore Zoe Quinn. He really don't need her "approval" to do a good job.

Top Bottom