• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier (Kotaku) wins 3 Kunkel Awards and drama appears

Roni

Gold Member
So many people hate the guy and still take the time to tweet and insult him. The amount of free time these people must have is enormous.

If Jason Schreier wants to continue to be good at doing his job and remain relevant in gaming journalism he should just ignore Zoe Quinn. He really don't need her "approval" to do a good job.

Schreier is a hack, but more importantly he can't ignore Zoe Quinn because that's his audience. You side with the crazies and they will turn on you because they're fucking insane, it's somewhat predictable and history corroborates it. I mean, look at what happened on this very forum. The mistake was trying to appease that crowd in the first place, once you do that you only have so long until you're fucked.

Moneal

Person A: I'm a victim
Person B: No, you're not a victim
Person A: I was victimised
Person B: Not a victim like me therefore you're not a victim
Person A: Bla, bla, victim, bla
Person B: Bla, bla.

That's what I somewhat got from the conversation.

You forgot Person C: No person b is a true victim you are a sexist for even comparing your self to true victims like person b.

When you lay with dogs...

Hopefully people/companies start to realize to ignore internet activists. There is no mission accomplished lets go home. They just move onto the next thing to bitch about. Once you cater to them, your only way out is for them to turn on you... only a matter of time.

@RiccochetJ

Kotaku's story was the first main press coverage and fueled the fire of the *intense* witch hunt undoubtedly. That witch hunt went after a bunch of people, and did harm all over on personal levels and no doubt damaged NeoGAF tremendously, setting the public narrative in place from that point. People were called at their jobs to try to get them fired, businesses were threatened, all sorts of harm spread around to anything seen as remotely associated with NeoGAF. Jason vouched for the piece though and claimed extensive fact-checking had been involved. He has some interesting standards if that's the case.

Wow...I had no idea it turned that bad. I always thought the whole thing was ridiculous and nothing more than outrage culture. Turns out it was a lot worse than I expected....

Acerac

Banned
When you lay with dogs...

Hopefully people/companies start to realize to ignore internet activists. There is no mission accomplished lets go home. They just move onto the next thing to bitch about. Once you cater to them, your only way out is for them to turn on you... only a matter of time.
Fuck activists in general. Seriously, when has activism ever accomplished anything?

Makariel

So...does anyone have a journalist that they do like?
When it comes to games reviews I still head over to https://gamecritics.com/ - they have one resident SJW, but their reviews are usually quite good and I just ignore the oddball. They also cover lots of games I wouldn't see on IGN, Kotaku et al. When it comes to industry news and articles, about e.g. the failings of Star Citizen, I just rely on my network of spies to forward me the relevant pieces, and don't follow a single journalist.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Mr Grumpy: You’re welcome to share views about the topic but when posts turn personal it can move discussions from the topic in question. It can also weaken any valid points that you may make when you also attack people on a personal level.
Highly opinionated, ugly and frail-bodied manlet. Games journalism is a huge joke.

Play games. Don’t disrespect the work of men, women and women with cocks who slave over PCs for your entertainment.

Game elitism and the cult personality of the sjw horde is ruining your hobby and you didn’t even realize...

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
Fuck activists in general. Seriously, when has activism ever accomplished anything?

I read a lot of dumb shit on the internet but this is definitely the dumbest shit I read in the last few months.

Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman, George Orwell, Desmond Tutu, Susan B Anthony, Martin Luther King, Ghandi. If you actually think activism has never accomplished anything then man, you need to go back to school.

Cranberrys

Well, activism accomplished many things in history but activism in gaming not so much because it's about ideology, not justice despite what they said and activism should always be about justice, never about ideology. When Something is wrong, it's wrong. It's not less wrong if you are a communist or a capitalist.

I'm french and politically I'm with Macron. It's the first time in my life, I really liked the guy I voted for. I think he's trying to do tremendous things in France but the far left is getting restless. Why ? Because of ideology. It's not about letting the guy do his job and then judge him upon that. It's about not letting the guy do his job because they assume he's wrong.

I love justice, I hate ideology.

In gaming right now we have the worse of ideological activism. It's very comfortable to be an activist in gaming, it's Nothing like being in a boat, on the mediterranean sea and rescuing syrian refugees because that cost you Something. You see human misery first hand. It's not comfortable.

Instead, you're in your couch, you play games all day and then you rant about them because they don't agree with your ideology. Simple. It costs you Nothing. And you can twist any game the way you want to match your ideology. The problem is I can't respect someone who claims to be an activist and fight for justice, when in fact he's only trying to propagate, at no cost for himself, his binary vision of the world. Because that's what ideologies do. In their mind, anyone who isn't a SJW, is necessarily a GG sympathizer. But Nothing is black and white, and certainly not life. I sure don't am an SJW because I can't stand being lectured or lecturing others, especially being lectured about games I play in my living room, in my house, privately. But I'm also not a GG sympathizer because I can't endorse people who harass and threatens women and minorities. No fucking way.

And I think that it's precisely because it's so convenient to be a couch activist that the gaming community has been infiltrated by SJW over the past few years and then, they tell us, while they are relatively new to our culture, that we are bad people. All of us, with no exception (well, except them of course).

So...does anyone have a journalist that they do like? Jason actually puts in the work for his longer pieces. The Visceral article from last year was a good one: https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

Some of the reactions in this thread are quite bewildering to say the least. Congrats to him, although he no longer posts here since what happened last fall.

I really like Jeff Gerstmann. He has a lot of video games knowledge, which is obvious, and you can tell he also genuinely loves video games. I also think he does great work in general and really like what he has build Giant Bomb into (aside from some questionable hires).

Greedings

I really like Jeff Gerstmann. He has a lot of video games knowledge, which is obvious, and you can tell he also genuinely loves video games. I also think he does great work in general and really like what he has build Giant Bomb into (aside from some questionable hires).

Gurstmann is barely a journalist. He just farts out some opinions on a podcast, doesn't do any journalism.

MisterR

I read a lot of dumb shit on the internet but this is definitely the dumbest shit I read in the last few months.

Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Harriet Tubman, George Orwell, Desmond Tutu, Susan B Anthony, Martin Luther King, Ghandi. If you actually think activism has never accomplished anything then man, you need to go back to school.
There are a lot of idiots on here these days, that is top of the list though.

makaveli60

Yeah, that's Zoe Quinn - her entire existence revolves around being a professional victim.

She even thought Nintendo was taking a shot at her once. She even thinks that when people refer to "___-gate" that it's about her because she potentially has no idea what Watergate was.
Holy... unbelievable :D and also that neogaf topic where people seem to agree with her. Insane.

Wulfric Wulfric To be honest, I like Jason's work, I'm just dissappointed that he thinks and acts the way he does.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
So it seems. I mean I'm not even American and I'm kind of a dumbass on top of that, but even I have some cursory knowledge about Watergate.
If these people are football fans they would have heard about "spygate" (which predated gamergate) and "deflategate" at the minimum. Wonder if Zoe thinks the the "deflategate" moniker is taking a shot at her too.

Last edited:
If these people are football fans they would have heard about "spygate" (which predated gamergate) and "deflategate" at the minimum. Wonder if Zoe thinks the the "deflategate" moniker is taking a shot at her too.

I thought deflategate was what any normal man experiences when looking at Zoe Quinn...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, that's Zoe Quinn - her entire existence revolves around being a professional victim.

She even thought Nintendo was taking a shot at her once. She even thinks that when people refer to "___-gate" that it's about her because she potentially has no idea what Watergate was.

Sounds like a delusional narcissist. Whoops. Never paid any attention to her as a person, lol. No wonder I was pissing off her pawns and her opposition at the same time. I was staying far far away from those specific threads the entire time and the mod team was banning the hell out of everyone who wasn't perfectly sympathetic to her like it was their mission in life. Five seconds' glance at the thread with the banned OP and it's obvious my ex-mods were getting played.

MY BAD :eek:

Last edited:
Very uninteresting drama lol

Truly. The most interesting aspect about the thread was when EviLore chimed in. After reading the Twitter thread out of raw curiosity, my eyes rolled straight to Kentucky. That aside, it would appear as if there is a certain group of people that are starting to cannibalize one another on social media, these days.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I hope the Schreier and Quinn feud sends a message to game journos who legitimately love the gaming industry to stay away from toxic individuals like her.

Shower_Alf

Banned
I was staying far far away from those specific threads the entire time and the mod team was banning the hell out of everyone who wasn't perfectly sympathetic to her like it was their mission in life.

Why didn't you fire the mod team? That's from February 2016 and you ignored all people being banned for years over civil discussion.

Why didn't you fire the mod team? That's from February 2016 and you ignored all people being banned for years over civil discussion.

Isn't that obvious? EviLore preferred to mostly have a hands-off policy as long as the board worked fine. He trusted his team of admins and mods greatly, but he would now and then butt in when problems arrived. One of those being bishoptl's banning spree or when people tried to shame others for not wanting to have sex with someone that doesn't have the right genitals (transperson). Firing the mod team would've just created a large battle that could equally have lead to an exodus. There was also the general polarization of "GG vs us", which lead to being paranoid and all "either with us or against". I assume even EviLore, who probably was busy with other things in his life, mostly let it play out by itself and let the mods and community handle it.

It's okay to criticize his actions or lack thereof, but it's better to attempt to understand why certain actions were made, what kind of environment it was in and not assume that he's some all knowing god. Being in a situation is different from armchair commentary in hindsight.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Sounds like a delusional narcissist. Whoops. Never paid any attention to her as a person, lol. No wonder I was pissing off her pawns and her opposition at the same time. I was staying far far away from those specific threads the entire time and the mod team was banning the hell out of everyone who wasn't perfectly sympathetic to her like it was their mission in life. Five seconds' glance at the thread with the banned OP and it's obvious my ex-mods were getting played.

MY BAD
I get that you take every opportunity to save face and all and I really appreciate that, but you gotta realize stuff like this comes off as really disingenuous. Nobody really believes that you just sat back and let the place run itself into the ground, and you just suddenly woke up one day and actually started giving a shit. You knew what was going on the whole time, this place's scars were plastered all over the internet to the point that people who never even visited this site knew it was a horrible environment for discussion due to all that corruption. There is no way you were ignorant to all that man. Again I really appreciate you admitting failure and committing to change, but I really feel disrespected being fed such a sugarcoated narrative...

Oh and I stand corrected apparently at least one guy believes the narrative lol or at least just being sycophantic...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I get that you take every opportunity to save face and all and I really appreciate that, but you gotta realize stuff like this comes off as really disingenuous. Nobody really believes that you just sat back and let the place run itself into the ground, and you just suddenly woke up one day and actually started giving a shit. You knew what was going on the whole time, this place's scars were plastered all over the internet to the point that people who never even visited this site knew it was a horrible environment for discussion due to all that corruption. There is no way you were ignorant to all that man. Again I really appreciate you admitting failure and committing to change, but I really feel disrespected being fed such a sugarcoated narrative...

Oh and I stand corrected apparently at least one guy believes the narrative lol or at least just being sycophantic...

I honestly don't think it's a big deal. It's a video game forum. Dude was living life, and probably just avoided the issue because the outcome of addressing it is unclear. It's much easier to let things go, and collect those checks. I don't fault him.

Imagine the scenario, where you're looking thousands of people that have very strong opinions. They strive off dog piling. virtue signaling, and character assassination. Most of whom, think that the moderation is doing just fine. That collection of people, when met with any opinion that isn't under the approved list of opinions, freaks the fuck out. Who knows the outcome of popping in and de-modding their savior moderation team. The way everything happened seemed kinda unavoidable. I think he was cornered before he even saw it coming.

Last edited:
This so much!! Right here! The left really needs to take a step back and think about the issues they jump on, stop being so emotional, specially attacking people who are on the same side of things yet slightly say the wrong thing. We are all human, attacking people only pushes them away and goes against the purpose
This is as much the left as the Tea Party is the right. That is to say it isn't. Like the Tea Party and alt-right crazies, the alt-left is a bunch of insane people getting high off their own drama.

Please don't lump progressives and left-leaning individuals with this pastiche of id and ego.

BANGS

Banned
I honestly don't think it's a big deal. It's a video game forum. Dude was living life, and probably just avoided the issue because the outcome of addressing it is unclear. It's much easier to let things go, and collect those checks. I don't fault him.

Imagine the scenario, where you're looking thousands of people that have very strong opinions. They strive off dog piling. virtue signaling, and character assassination. Most of whom, think that the moderation is doing just fine. That collection of people, when met with any opinion that isn't under the approved list of opinions, freaks the fuck out. Who knows the outcome of popping in and de-modding their savior moderation team. The way everything happened seemed kinda unavoidable. I think he was cornered before he even saw it coming.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he didn't have alot on his plate or that his failure is unforgivable or anything. Quite the opposite actually. But to say he didn't see it coming or wasn't aware of it until it was too late... I mean that's just impossible I'm sorry. I was hearing horror stories about this site(truthful ones, with screencaps and everything) over on OTHER gaming forums as well as general places like facebook and such before I ever even logged on here. Youtube is full of videos about it going years back. There's just no way.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying I'm upset he handled it wrong(or not at all) or anything like that. I just don't appreciate the "I didn't know man, sorry" rhetoric... it's insulting...

Last edited:

prompter

Neo Member
Jason is a good guy and a real journalist, and he's always stood by his crew. Props to him. Quinn, however, is trying to promote herself yet again - I do agree that she was/is a victim, but this is just hurting her image at this point.

Shower_Alf

Banned
Isn't that obvious? EviLore preferred to mostly have a hands-off policy as long as the board worked fine. He trusted his team of admins and mods greatly, but he would now and then butt in when problems arrived. One of those being bishoptl's banning spree or when people tried to shame others for not wanting to have sex with someone that doesn't have the right genitals (transperson). Firing the mod team would've just created a large battle that could equally have lead to an exodus. There was also the general polarization of "GG vs us", which lead to being paranoid and all "either with us or against". I assume even EviLore, who probably was busy with other things in his life, mostly let it play out by itself and let the mods and community handle it.

It's okay to criticize his actions or lack thereof, but it's better to attempt to understand why certain actions were made, what kind of environment it was in and not assume that he's some all knowing god. Being in a situation is different from armchair commentary in hindsight.

That makes perfect sense.

WaterAstro

Jason is a good guy and a real journalist, and he's always stood by his crew. Props to him. Quinn, however, is trying to promote herself yet again - I do agree that she was/is a victim, but this is just hurting her image at this point.
They're both hurting their image.

Tired-Of-Winning

Neo Member

MY BAD :eek:
Curious about this, how come you didnt step in when you saw them banning people left and right? Obviously it wasnt in your interest to lose hundreds of users every week over the slightest disagreements with mods

I always found Zoe Quinn to be quite sympathetic, but the way she and Danika Harrod come off in those tweets is just kind of obnoxious.

If I understand correctly, Kotaku must have a history of supporting gamergaters? So Schrier gets shit from a toxic and awful group of people that his publication used to signal boost and she feels he needs to have his nose rubbed in this, because if nobody points it out, it's like he is trying to rewrite history.

In that context, the gratingly sanctimonious nature of the tweets is more understandable, but it doesn't look like anything of value was accomplished by it in the end.

Moneal

I always found Zoe Quinn to be quite sympathetic, but the way she and Danika Harrod come off in those tweets is just kind of obnoxious.

If I understand correctly, Kotaku must have a history of supporting gamergaters? So Schrier gets shit from a toxic and awful group of people that his publication used to signal boost and she feels he needs to have his nose rubbed in this, because if nobody points it out, it's like he is trying to rewrite history.

In that context, the gratingly sanctimonious nature of the tweets is more understandable, but it doesn't look like anything of value was accomplished by it in the end.

Pretty sure this is the exact opposite of what happened. Kotaku was very anti-gamergate.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
That Kotaku guy really is a good reporter. I don't care what his politics are, although I assume anyone not solidly left of center would not last long at Gawker.

NickFire

Curious about this, how come you didnt step in when you saw them banning people left and right? Obviously it wasnt in your interest to lose hundreds of users every week over the slightest disagreements with mods
No need for cheap shots when the answer is likely obvious and what most people would have done. Putting aside his own personal issues that he has referred to during the last year or two, there are two facts to be cognizant of. First - this is a business to him. Second - not many business owners disrupt their existing business structure when things are going well financially unless the business starts failing or is otherwise disrupted (even then many will resist, such as taxi owners in the dawn of Uber). Its easy to say we would have disrupted things if we were in charge. Not so easy to say it when its your own money being put on the table though. I certainly was not happy the way things were handled before he re-engaged, but I would be a hypocrite if I hung onto that anger once things changed, because 99% of us would not have made changes until something happened either, myself included.

Top Bottom