• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier -Sony's communication with devs about PS5 is excellent!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So those patterned articles that come out like clockwork around the pre-next-gen blowouts, usually from the same sources, were the typical FUD and 'concern'?

"Paternity leave" what a cuck
CfYO6Ag.png

Last edited:
Seems a bit too defensive considering "[...] ask a couple of people [...]" & "One third-party developer said [...]. I'm always vary of journalists working as marketing tools and vying for favor and connections. There's a reason why Twitter is cancer, lacking any sort of nuance and critical thinking within its 140 letters. Just like negative news should be taken with skepticism, especially based on anonymous sources, so should good news. I'd rather they show us, rather than spreading rumours.

Also, no need to hate on paternity leave, though it's kinda hard to take the paternity leave seriously considering his line of work and him being unable to keep his hands off and the baby only being about 2 weeks old. Perhaps there's some illness related thing, but that's a pretty early time to take paternity leave, especially considering that the real hell starts much later once the baby starts crawling (and shitting for real) and not when it's just pooping and sleeping (and not sleeping) and eating. Maybe Kotaku has some really sweet paternity and maternity benefits that allow you to take a lot of time off paid.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So it beats the complaints about the PS3's development kits and how difficult it was to create for the platform? I'll take that as a big YES!.

rofif

Banned
Even NVME ssd is cheap nowadays. Picked up Corsair MP510 960gb last month for around 150. It's super fast

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The golden age of Indies when they were being championed in E3.

Now, Indies are seen as shovelware, unfortunately. Such a sad thing to see unfold.
What's even sadder is the quality of indies has made significant leaps forward since that time period. No offense intended to the games nor the people who like 'em, but back then the indies were Inside and Spelunky and Salt & Sanctuary, compared to stuff nowadays like Control and Blasphemous and Enter the Gungeon. It's not my bag, but indies are especially prevalent on Sony's PS VR thing.

Sony should be singing their praises and working twice as hard to court them, but the flame for indies is gone.

EDIT: also we suffered through a vapid "concert" E3 for four games last year, and this year we didn't even have Sony at E3. Sony could've admitted "okay here's all these indies, sorry that we don't have more AAA stuff or next gen stuff to show off but we wanna signal boost the talented devs on our platform" and people would've been fine with it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's even sadder is the quality of indies has made significant leaps forward since that time period. No offense intended to the games nor the people who like 'em, but back then the indies were Inside and Spelunky and Salt & Sanctuary, compared to stuff nowadays like Control and Blasphemous and Enter the Gungeon. It's not my bag, but indies are especially prevalent on Sony's PS VR thing.

Sony should be singing their praises and working twice as hard to court them, but the flame for indies is gone.

We are still getting these games though.

Last edited:
"Feels desperate guys, still legit concerned for that PS5 launch as a long time Sony fan and not as someone who wants it to fail so I can say Microsoft are better"

Seems a bit too defensive considering "[...] ask a couple of people [...]" & "One third-party developer said [...]. I'm always vary of journalists working as marketing tools and vying for favor and connections. There's a reason why Twitter is cancer, lacking any sort of nuance and critical thinking within its 140 letters. Just like negative news should be taken with skepticism, especially based on anonymous sources, so should good news. I'd rather they show us, rather than spreading rumours.

Also, no need to hate on paternity leave, though it's kinda hard to take the paternity leave seriously considering his line of work and him being unable to keep his hands off and the baby only being about 2 weeks old. Perhaps there's some illness related thing, but that's a pretty early time to take paternity leave, especially considering that the real hell starts much later once the baby starts crawling (and shitting for real) and not when it's just pooping and sleeping (and not sleeping) and eating. Maybe Kotaku has some really sweet paternity and maternity benefits that allow you to take a lot of time off paid.

Most professional jobs have paternity leave. This guy isn’t cashiering at a local grocery store. His salary is surely six figures and paternity leave comes with the territory.

Is it just me, or does it seem like most people here and on era are broke as fuck? Ooooh wow paternity leave... how broke, skill-less and ignorant do you have to be to think that’s a big deal these days? It’s 2019 and this is the strongest economy ever. Hello? I wouldn’t be able to find a job without paternity leave even if I tried.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We are still getting these games though.
True, because PS4 is the de facto indie platform. And they should still be credited for their hard work early on in the gen. But consider how quickly the Switch caught up. Clumsy Nintendo doesn't skyrocket forward like that unless the competition is tripping and stumbling in some way, a true "PS4 is ahead because Microsoft made mistakes" situation all over again.

Listen to this from WSJ:

Some executives at smaller game makers say they have felt snubbed by Sony, in contrast to Nintendo. At the Tokyo Game Show in September, Nintendo is supporting events to showcase independent game developers. Sony used to do the same, but isn’t planning to this year, the first Sony official said.
Sony still welcomes games from independent studios, the first Sony official said, but the emphasis is on strengthening relationships with large publishers since resources are limited. The thinking is, the official said, that people buy a console to play high-quality games available only on that platform, not smaller games also available on smartphones.

I just want to see a lot of good indies receive the recognition (and the $$$) they deserve. Sony was doing a great job of that at first but has fallen off dramatically. It doesn't make me hate the brand or anything, it's just a clear business misstep that could be corrected to the benefit of Sony and to the benefit of the people that own the platform.

Vawn

Banned
Most of the negative rumors seem to be backed by no more evidence than "PS4 was so successful, so PS5 will be a disaster".

I don't really follow the logic, but we will see.

Most professional jobs have paternity leave. This guy isn’t cashiering at a local grocery store. His salary is surely six figures and paternity leave comes with the territory.

Is it just me, or does it seem like most people here and on era are broke as fuck? Ooooh wow paternity leave... how broke, skill-less and ignorant do you have to be to think that’s a big deal these days? It’s 2019 and this is the strongest economy ever. Hello? I wouldn’t be able to find a job without paternity leave even if I tried.

My impression is that paternity and maternity leave, at least paid, is not a guaranteed thing in the US and it's not only about cashiers, though I might be mistaken there. Though my main gripe was the timing and how he clearly can't stay off work, making it seems like one of those half-arsed parental leaves, where mother and father spend most of the time doing nothing like idiots or doing unnecessary things.
Even in Norway where you get money for guaranteed paternity leave as a % of the total parental leave, a lot of men earning a lot don't take it (and even those not earning a lot), because it'll impact you professionally and because it'll impact the economy because the roof on how much you'll get and the subsequent loss of money (especially since men typically earn more, as women tend to seek men who earn more than them, and as a lot of women prefer working a 80% or so week). Men that earn a lot often tend to refuse the "free" money they'd get and often get the mom to take unpaid leave instead until the kid is 1 year old and can start kindergarten. That's the effect of the % demand of paternity leave as part of the parental leave, as enforced by the state.

Last edited:
My impression is that paternity and maternity leave, at least paid, is not a guaranteed thing in the US and it's not only about cashiers, though I might be mistaken there. Though my main gripe was the timing and how he clearly can't stay off work, making it seems like one of those half-arsed parental leaves, where mother and father spend most of the time doing nothing like idiots or doing unnecessary things.
Even in Norway where you get money for guaranteed paternity leave as a % of the total parental leave, a lot of men earning a lot don't take it (and even those not earning a lot), because it'll impact you professionally and because it'll impact the economy because the roof on how much you'll get and the subsequent loss of money (especially since men typically earn more, as women tend to seek men who earn more than them, and as a lot of women prefer working a 80% or so week). Men that earn a lot often tend to refuse the "free" money they'd get and often get the mom to take unpaid leave instead until the kid is 1 year old and can start kindergarten. That's the effect of the % demand of paternity leave as part of the parental leave, as enforced by the state.

When you're treated well, you are more willing to bend backwards for your employer.

I have unlimited PTO, so when I'm on my 7th week of vacation and an emergency happens at work and someone calls me to help - I help. Why ? Because I'm on my fucking 7th week of vacation. When you work at a low-end job and are treated like an animal, then yes, you are less likely to do any work whatsoever unless you absolutely have to. I've been on both ends.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
About the paternity leave thing: I just went on 2 weeks of baby leave. We don't have paternity leave per se. I used some of my paid time off (80 hours) to cover the absence. I'm a college drop out. If I can get a job that offers this as a perk, so can you, and so can they.

Similar story, a few weeks ago we had a period of time where one of our overseas teams (in Europe) was super understaffed. Apparently, the gov't mandates that employers have to let people use up all their time, so there's a straight month and a half in the middle of every year where a bunch of businesses are understaffed. It didn't cause anything catastrophic for our team in the USA where I live, but it was an avoidable annoyance.

Moral of the story: governments that mandate these things do not always produce the desired results without avoidable problems creeping in, too.

Elios83

It didn't take a lot to understand that the other article was trying to ride on the news of Shawn Layden leaving to spread FUD and get hits from ''concerned people''.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Where was this excellent communication with indies?

PlayStation PlayStation :messenger_heart: indies r.i.p 2013 - 2015

PSVR took their spot on the big stage, and the fad for indies had waned pretty badly by the start of this gen anyway. The plain truth is that the media lost interest and the constant product churn on Steam ensured that most titles were forgotten before they got chance to build word-of-mouth recognition.

I saw the news on NicheGamer, so take that Kotaku!

I liked the details but to say "Third Parties love the Dev Kit" is a little too arse licking for my taste.

Barakov

Gold Member
I wondered when this corporate boot licker would show up and go out of his way to contradict what we heard.

Also nice to see he's out there taking care of his wife's child.

I wondered when this corporate boot licker would show up and go out of his way to contradict what we heard.

Also nice to see he's out there taking care of his wife's child.

What you heard from anonymous rumors, like LOL, why do you even need his contradiction? You shouldn't have believed any of it in the first place.

Shmunter

Not launching for another 14months and to have the kits at this state already bodes well for the launch lineup. Expecting to be blown away.

dogmod

Neo Member
I honestly don't believe a word any other these people say, 99% of the time they're taking shots in the dark and praying for reality to line up.

Top Bottom