• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier -Sony's communication with devs about PS5 is excellent!

Psykodad

Banned
Sony is known for having good relationships with developers and helping out if possible, yet somehow they suddenly fuck all that up when they are able to just ride the wave of PS4's succes into next-gen?

It’s weird to see how many posters seem to have a problem with paternity leave. My wife is expecting our second any day now, and I have to take vacation days when the baby arrives so I can help around the house. Even just 1-2 weeks of paternity leave would benefit us greatly, but I’ll take what I can.

When I read “paternity leave” in the tweet, I was much more horrified at the thought of Jason being a father. That poor kid...

Don’t particularly care how happy Devs are with the PS5 equipment. It would have been actually news if they were dissatisfied.

Alx

Sony is known for having good relationships with developers and helping out if possible, yet somehow they suddenly fuck all that up when they are able to just ride the wave of PS4's succes into next-gen?

In PS2 and early PS3 era, Sony was known for having terrible relationships with devs. Their recent behaviour shows they learnt their lesson, but one shouldn't take anything for granted. And the success of PS4 is more a risk to become more lenient than to keep improving.

GreyHorace

Article comes out saying devs are having issues with Sony about PS5. Ask a journalist to shill for you should fix that right up. Waiting for Polygon's shill article as well.
Exactly. It sounds like he's shilling for Sony so he can get those freebies. If he was a real fucking journalist he'd risk angering them by trying to scoop an expose on the PS5.

But no, like most game 'journalists' nowadays, he's being a corporate apologist.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exactly. It sounds like he's shilling for Sony so he can get those freebies. If he was a real fucking journalist he'd risk angering them by trying to scoop an expose on the PS5.

But no, like most game 'journalists' nowadays, he's being a corporate apologist.

Or the first article was bullshit concern trolling / sensationalistic “reporting”? Impossible :rolleyes: ...

In PS2 and early PS3 era, Sony was known for having terrible relationships with devs.

They did? I usually heard the opposite: that the reason the PS2/3 were getting all those great exclusives was because Sony had earned them due to nurturing great relationships with their devs.

I will add, as we all know, Sony did become very arrogant with the PS3, thinking they were invincible after the incredible success of the PS2. That 2006 launch took them down a peg or two, for sure.

I like to think we're not going to see a return to that. I fully expect the PS5 to launch for between £400 and £500, though; It's not going to be a cheap machine by any means. But with those hardware specs, it actually will be attractive to gamers. If they confirm 16GB+ RAM and a 1TB SSD, £500 will be a bargain.

GreyHorace

Or the first article was bullshit concern trolling / sensationalistic “reporting”? Impossible :rolleyes: ...
Maybe it was. Maybe the rumors are unfounded and people are making too much of a fuss.

But I'm not going to trust the word of a corporate shill who attacks gamers with legitimate grievances and kisses the ass of big business.

gbzmmd93rcw11.jpg

As a so called 'journalist', he's a fucking disgrace.

Last edited:

Zannegan

It wouldn't be the first time a company failed to capitalize/build on a solid generation. Honestly, it's like the big three take it in turns to screw up.

Not that's what I think will happen this time around, but never say never.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yep. Its all about that hard hitting videogame journalism, the most serious of journalistic endeavors. Gotta find the scandalous scoop on that upcoming toy.

dacuk

GAFfers complaining about the messenger instead of the message are one of the reasons GAF is not as nice as it was before

Hissing Sid

GAFfers complaining about the messenger instead of the message are one of the reasons GAF is not as nice as it was before

Agreed. It was so much nicer here when Bastarda and co were running the place. Wish we could go back to those days. Much discussion. Many tolerance.

In other news my main takeaway from this thread is that Mr name I can’t even be bothered to learn the spelling of has bred.

I dunno. It’s a rough start for the bain but I’ve seen kids bounce back from worse starts in life.

Alx

They did? I usually heard the opposite: that the reason the PS2/3 were getting all those great exclusives was because Sony had earned them due to nurturing great relationships with their devs.

PS2 era was especially famous for having bad dev support. Sony got all the exclusives not because they were nice, but because they had a complete control of the market, riding on the success of PS1 and taking benefit from weaker N64 sales and failure of the Dreamcast. The PS2 was especially known for being hard to develop for, with its unconventional architecture, small amount of video memory, and "rough" SDKs that required going down to assembly to really use its specific features.
PS3 saw some improvement on the dev kits, but still had similar issues with its architecture (both PS2 and PS3 were designed by Ken Kutaragi, who was more interested in processor architecture than software development). The quality of dev support got some direct criticism at launch, even if it later improved with time (some of it with the pressure of the rising success of Microsoft, who had a much better image of collaborating with devs, designing their console on their feedback and offering good tools).

See for example Gabe Newell's early opinion :
"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted

Last edited:
Mass layoffs at SIEE the day of the PS5 announcement; they didn't even know about the wired article coming out.

Guess the only communication problem Sony have is internal :goog_unsure:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fuck Jason. He blamed that YouTuber for reporting on the email/contact info leak on the E3 expo site.

He blamed a trans woman, one who actively does *real* reporting, because he got pissy that he didn't get the story first.

Mind you this is the same guy who called people pedophiles for playing Sorceress on Dragon's Dogma. Sorceress being the super big tittied adult female mage.

Hudo

Oh hey, I was wondering when that third-rate blogger would chime in. Man, Schreier doesn't know shit. Dude is just making PR for his books.

llien

I don't understand why Shriers personality is relevant to this thread.

Is his previous record hinting at this information being unreliable?
Or is it that since he posted some dubious comments on twitter, he must be #cancelled forever?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s weird to see how many posters seem to have a problem with paternity leave. My wife is expecting our second any day now, and I have to take vacation days when the baby arrives so I can help around the house. Even just 1-2 weeks of paternity leave would benefit us greatly, but I’ll take what I can.

When I read “paternity leave” in the tweet, I was much more horrified at the thought of Jason being a father. That poor kid...

Don’t particularly care how happy Devs are with the PS5 equipment. It would have been actually news if they were dissatisfied.
You should come to Canada.

Paternity leave is like hitting the jackpot. Not only does the company have to guarantee you an equivalent role when you're back, but the new rule is you can stretch it out from 52 weeks paternity leave to 78 weeks! Ya 1.5 years.

And I don't think there is rule for when the parent comes back, so when the wife returns she can be pregnant again and announce she is going in mat leave again. And no company can fire them.

When the 52 week rule was in place, I knew some moms who were on mat leave more than at work because the second they returned, they were already pregnant and left in 5 months for another 52 weeks! Crazy shit.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Things like this wouldn't even be necessary if the gaming community wasn't such a tender box of wet tissues and grenades all the time.

MS and Sony have to worry about narratives the way Army Core Engineers have to worry about minefields. Even if they intend to stick with their agendas, they must always avoid the appearance of being tone deaf. Unforced errors are like a noose, the community will give you all the rope you need to hang yourself.

And since there are individuals just waiting to turn the slightest misstep into a unmitigated disaster, they have to always be prepared to run counter spin before something or anything is dogpiled into a full blown conspiracy.

I contend, this is not a healthy state for them or us.

Things like this wouldn't even be necessary if the gaming community wasn't such a tender box of wet tissues and grenades all the time.

MS and Sony have to worry about narratives the way Army Core Engineers have to worry about minefields. Even if they intend to stick with their agendas, they must always avoid the appearance of being tone deaf. Unforced errors are like a noose, the community will give you all the rope you need to hang yourself.

And since there are individuals just waiting to turn the slightest misstep into a unmitigated disaster, they have to always be prepared to run counter spin before something or anything is dogpiled into a full blown conspiracy.

I contend, this is not a healthy state for them or us.
TL;DR: smartphones and social media were a mistake.

demigod

Article comes out saying devs are having issues with Sony about PS5. Ask a journalist to shill for you should fix that right up. Waiting for Polygon's shill article as well.

No he's not shilling for Sony. This tard likes to come out and "confirm" shit that was announced already. This twitter post came out after the Wired article. If he was shilling for Sony he would've done it on the same date about devs having issues with Sony.

Yeah this struck me as an odd response too. As if it's a good thing that many workers get fucked over by soulless corporate greed mongers who couldn't give two shits about their employees' lives outside the office. Getting screwed over by a bad employer isn't a right of passage or proof of manhood. It just means your have a bad job. I realize Jason isn't a popular guy here on NeoGAF but I thought it was nice to see he actually has a professional job that provides paternity leave. More employers should provide this.

Justin9mm

Not launching for another 14months and to have the kits at this state already bodes well for the launch lineup. Expecting to be blown away.
Technically it will release before December, it will be somewhere between middle of October to end of November. My money is on November though. They always allow about 1 month before xmas to give time for people to buy as gift.

Edit: I will also be buying the Pro version as a gift to someone very special in my life.... ME!!

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
He blamed a trans woman, one who actively does *real* reporting, because he got pissy that he didn't get the story first.

Mind you this is the same guy who called people pedophiles for playing Sorceress on Dragon's Dogma. Sorceress being the super big tittied adult female mage.

You mean Dragon’s Crown or did he do this to two separate games?

Shmunter

Technically it will release before December, it will be somewhere between middle of October to end of November. My money is on November though. They always allow about 1 month before xmas to give time for people to buy as gift.

Edit: I will also be buying the Pro version as a gift to someone very special in my life.... ME!!
Noted

You should come to Canada.

Paternity leave is like hitting the jackpot. Not only does the company have to guarantee you an equivalent role when you're back, but the new rule is you can stretch it out from 52 weeks paternity leave to 78 weeks! Ya 1.5 years.

And I don't think there is rule for when the parent comes back, so when the wife returns she can be pregnant again and announce she is going in mat leave again. And no company can fire them.

When the 52 week rule was in place, I knew some moms who were on mat leave more than at work because the second they returned, they were already pregnant and left in 5 months for another 52 weeks! Crazy shit.
Holy cow. All I really want is two weeks and I have no doubt I’ll get a job with those benefits eventually. 52 weeks... that’s insanity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy cow. All I really want is two weeks and I have no doubt I’ll get a job with those benefits eventually. 52 weeks... that’s insanity.
Yup. And parents milk it to the bone. Companies are hamstrung by whatever the parent on leave does.

So even with all this mat leave off, the worker expected to return to the job doesn't even have to give lead time they are quitting.

So what happens is mat leave people will string along the managers saying they are coming back, and the company has to have a similar role (or same role) ready for their return. But then the mat leave person can plunk that awesome last minute email always the week before everyone thinks they are coming back...... "sorry, I've decided not to return to work".

And the manager/company can do nothing but scramble to hire someone to permanently fill the role. Seen it many times.

Also, for the 52/78 week mat leave, the parents can share how much time each one is off. So as long as the total time adds up to the 52 or 78 option, it's ok.

And for sneaky people, I know some on mat leave do part time under the table work for side cash, before coming back to work for their FT job.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

What a fucking tool. Paternity leave seriously? Cuck indeed. Are we even sure the baby is his? Let's do that first. Who has the scoop on that?
Here in Australia in a permanent full time role, 2 weeks paid paternity leave is given from birth of your child which is made mandatory by the Government to help out your wife/spouse in that crucial time as soon as the baby is born. It's a standard working condition just like sick leave or annual leave.

Komatsu

Happy to hear Jason Schreier has had a kid. Hopefully all the members of his family and happy and healthy and they're enjoying the baby, regardless of how stressful these first few months are.

That aside, I don't have a reason to doubt Sony is handling this well. Curious to hear more about their devtools.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Where was this excellent communication with indies?

@PlayStation :messenger_heart: indies r.i.p 2013 - 2015

Indies were only popular while Sony didn't have a big exclusive output

AAs others posted, Gaf has never been this nice before. "before" people could get almost banned by doing the post op did, but that's probably why you like it.

There's a reason Gaf were called SonyGAF in the "nicer" days.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's a reason Gaf were called SonyGAF in the "nicer" days.

Is it persecution / victim complex by some hardcore “fans” ;)?

...managing to conveniently forget about the Xbox 360 days here and the PS4 sales prediction threads... yup... SonyGAF indeed.

With overwhelmingly more sales worldwide and thus lots of users/fans not being able to dominate the scene and put down / play down anything good on the other side without pushback does not make this OtherSideGAF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom