• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier's industry sources: PS5 is superior in ways that Sony has not communicated yet

JimboJones

Sounds like xbox fan before switching to playstation.
Just wait until the tools come out
Greatness awaits!!! Oh , wait....
I think my stance at the time was pretty reasonable all things considered. I don't like to blindly believe company suits like a fanboy. Plus I don't think Jason was talking about beating Xbox by 20 frames in a couple of games. Has he ever elaborated on what he meant by this? Or was it like to do with the triggers or haptics stuff?

Last edited:

Quantum253

How can you not communicate performance capabilities after a console is already launched? I imagine there are communities with the system combing through every aspect of the capabilities known and hidden.

I think my stance at the time was pretty reasonable all things considered. I don't like to blindly believe company suits like a fanboy. Plus I don't think Jason was talking about beating Xbox by 20 frames in a couple of games. Has he ever elaborated on what he meant by this? Or was it like to do with the triggers or haptics stuff?

He had this to say though.

It was clever of him to say that teraflops is not a useful measure to tell which version of AC Valhalla will come out better.

JASON: So let me be clear. So what I'm hearing from people actually working on these things is that the Xbox is not significantly more powerful than the PlayStation, despite this teraflops number, and that the teraflops -- it might be a useful measure of comparison in some ways, but ultimately it's a theoretical max speed, and there are so many things that could come between where you are trying to get and what you are actually able to do, to the point where the GPU could have X number of flops that it can actually perform, but if the developer isn't able to actually access all of it for whatever reason, then it doesn't even matter, and there are so many other variables here that go into it.

At the end of the day, that is fundamentally the big question -- when Assassin's Creed Kingdom, or whatever it's called, Assassin's Creed Vikings comes out this fall, presumably, corona aside. Presumably it comes out this fall on both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 -- which one will it look better on, which one will have a better resolution and better framerate on? I don't think we can know the answer to that question just from the spec sheet, and that's the point I'm making.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean... I called it as soon as Xbox said they where giving the series X 16GB of vram instead of 20GB because they would have to split the speeds for that to work (and they did), I'm going to call this now the series X will run 16GB at the lower clock speed, because its the only reasonable way for developers to use its special boy duel speeds in a multiplatform world without coding the game from the ground up to use it. Or Microsoft are going to have to allow for developers to switch the 6GB off and use just the 10 at the higher speed.

That decision has greatly hamstrung the console, its the cell processor issue all over again.

Last edited:

Hugare

I preffer to believe in the "developers received Series X tools later" narrative because its much more plausible

And also because Digital Foundry knows their stuff when its about tech things

And really, if there was a secret sauce, Sony would be shouting about it.

What's the benefit of keeping this secret sauce in secrecy? This is just dumb

This is coming from someone who will only buy a PS5, btw

Last edited:

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I preffer to believe in the "developers received Series X tools later" narrative because its much more plausible

And also because Digital Foundry knows their stuff when its about tech things

And really, if there was a secret sauce, Sony would be shouting about it.

What's the benefit of keeping this secret sauce in secrecy? This is just dumb

This is coming from someone who will only buy a PS5, btw

There is no secret sauce as far as I understand. Its simply the case that the 12 teraflops advantage was a theoretical maximum speed but in practice games struggle to reach that ceiling.

So the theoretical 12 teraflops is what threw people off.

The alternative is to believe that developers somehow dont know how to make games for Xbox

Zog

Banned
Right now there are no PS5's or XSX's on store shelves so it doesn't make any difference which console you think is better.

DonMigs85

The one area where PS5 definitely beats the XSX is ROP/fillrate throughput thanks to the higher clockspeed (both consolves have 64 ROPs, though PS5 has fewer TMUs)
I'm assuming they also use some sort of Vulkan derivative which may be beating DX12

Komatsu

We have only a handful of crossplat titles where comparisons can be made and differences are not that jarring. Sony has a lead as its SDK is reportedly more robust and more intuitive at the moment but Microsoft will eventually catch up - since Nadella became CEO all of their dev tools have been world class.

In 2022, after half a cycle, we can once again compare notes on how/whether the PS5 is "superior in ways that have not been communicated". This is the same garbage we hear every console cycle - "blast processing", "the reality synthesizer", "the emotion engine", "the Cell, a supercomputer on a die", etc.

We actually do know where the PS5 is superior: faster i/o speeds, haptic feedback (a game changer), VR backwards-compatibility. As for raw power, the XSX is the superior machine and in the coming years, as more tools come out, documentation is streamlined, etc., that will be ascertained. Same thing happened two generations ago: The Cell was a better processor than the Xenon, but that only really became apparent towards the end of that generation once Cell's complexity was fully understood by all major developers.

This is not rocket science, both consoles have RDNA2 Radeon GPUs and the SX GPU is more powerful. It is what it is, folks. Whether that makes the Series X "better" (a childish notion, but console warring seems to be reaching embarrassing levels) or "worse", well, that's for you to decide.

Yoboman

We have only a handful of crossplat titles where comparisons can be made and differences are not that jarring. Sony has a lead as its SDK is reportedly more robust and more intuitive at the moment but Microsoft will eventually catch up - since Nadella became CEO all of their dev tools have been world class.

In 2022, after half a cycle, we can once again compare notes on how/whether the PS5 is "superior in ways that have not been communicated". This is the same garbage we hear every console cycle - "blast processing", "the reality synthesizer", "the emotion engine", "the Cell, a supercomputer on a die", etc.

We actually do know where the PS5 is superior: faster i/o speeds, haptic feedback (a game changer), VR backwards-compatibility. As for raw power, the XSX is the superior machine and in the coming years, as more tools come out, documentation is streamlined, etc., that will be ascertained. Same thing happened two generations ago: The Cell was a better processor than the Xenon, but that only really became apparent towards the end of that generation once Cell's complexity was fully understood by all major developers.

This is not rocket science, both consoles have RDNA2 Radeon GPUs and the SX GPU is more powerful. It is what it is, folks. Whether that makes the Series X "better" (a childish notion, but console warring seems to be reaching embarrassing levels) or "worse", well, that's for you to decide.
"Not that jarring".

Ew7baro.jpg

eMJWCsx.jpg

OwUjmaY.jpg

Enjoy reading your spec sheet though

To be fair, PS5's GPU, due to its clocks, does push more triangles, and has a higher fill rate while also having higher cache bandwidth. The CPU may have less overhead as well. Honestly seems to be a wash between the two in that department.

Imtjnotu

The thing is this is not true , we aknowledge that the ps5 has a better ssd, and possibly better sound system but overall the xsx is the more powerful hardware, where the difference is not insignificant.

There are some sony fans that are still in denial, and for whatever crazy reason can not bear the reality the xsx is the more powerful machine.

At first what this will result in is the xsx will perform better in crossgen game.

Take cyberpunk 2077 for example, the xsx + ps5 version may have a performance mode and a graphics mode, in the graphics mode I suspect both versions will be 4k 30fps, but settings like ray tracing will be of higher quality on the xsx, xsx may have other settings slightly higher too.
In performance mode on the xsx its 1440p @ 60fps but on ps5 its either lower res or lower settings.
9s2e.gif

Slashinghook

Neo Member

I think having games 120 FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5 is a really big difference. It plays totally different and is a game changer. Especially for an FPS.
There are currently three games out there that play at 120 FPS on XSX compared to only max. 60 FPS on PS5. That’s a night and day difference IMHO

Komatsu

"Not that jarring".

Enjoy reading your spec sheet though

*Sees the same rehashed Dirt 5 screenshots*

giphy.gif

Don't worry - a year in the future, with the dev environments further along and the hardware profiles more fully realized for both platforms, nobody will link to this thread and embarrass you.

This is a bug. And the dev confirmed it.

No, shh, don't tell them. It's more fun this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom