• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreiers leak of Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Internet Reaction to it had a Big Negative Impact On Series Future

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
K4awZDW.png

dcx4610

I don't get it. I mean if you were hacked and your stuff was leaked, I can see how that would be illegal and Rockstar wouldn't be happy but... GTA5 is I believe the most successful piece of media in history. Some leaked footage of an unfinished GTA6 isn't hurting their business in any way and it will sell gangbusters.

Now if it leaked and it was awful and then no one was interested, that'd be one thing. This was leaking something because people were excited to get some screenshots or footage of something they want to play. It's a lot to do over nothing.

Yes the late 2014 leak had a big influence on the game that was being made since 2013, was teased in Black Flag and recycled assets from that cancelled Prince of Persia game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They'd have a better case to make on Mario + Rabbids leak. That game was shown with limited images and powerpoint slides and was seen universally negatively online. Then they unveiled the game with Miyamoto on stage and changed everyone's minds overnight.

A leak isn't really going to harm the game itself, but can damage the marketing plans I'm sure. If the final product is solid, it can be overcome.

About the only time I get mad at leaks is when they're in close proximity to games shows, because it literally just ruins the entire enjoyment people get out of watching the shows to just see it leaked anti-climactically beforehand. Happened countless times where megaton announcements land with a wet fart because everyone already knew about it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't believe I'm defending this guy, but it is not anyone's job to play PR for video game companies. They are big boys and if they fuck up their PR cycle then that is their damn problem.
Agreed, but the theme of the thread was about Creier criticizing other leakers.

TexMex

I can't believe I'm defending this guy, but it is not anyone's job to play PR for video game companies. They are big boys and if they fuck up their PR cycle then that is their damn problem.

Agree. Jason is a little dildo, but I’ve never seen him say that he will never leak a game or deny leaking something.

What he does have are his own set of rules for when it’s okay, which of course boils down to whenever he does it and it’s bad when someone else does it. It’s a constantly shifting goal post to suit his own needs.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, on the one hand, working in the gaming industry is like working in a kitchen. Fires are bad, and you know this, but if one starts, it's the kitchen crews asses that have to manage it.

Schreier is an idiot here not because he leaked something, but because he's being a hypocritical little shit.

AmuroChan

Jason has every right to leak info he receives. That's not a new phenomenon in journalism. With that said, this is why I don't give any credence to all the articles he writes about crunch. He knows full well that leaks can demoralize the devs and make them crunch even more to make changes to the game. So clearly, he doesn't actually have any genuine concerns for game devs and their wellbeing. It's all just virtue signaling and whatever is convenient to prop himself up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jason has every right to leak info he receives. That's not a new phenomenon in journalism. With that said, this is why I don't give any credence to all the articles he writes about crunch. He knows full well that leaks can demoralize the devs and make them crunch even more to make changes to the game. So clearly, he doesn't actually have any genuine concerns for game devs and their wellbeing. It's all just virtue signaling and whatever is convenient to prop himself up.
Pernille Harder Football GIF by VfL Wolfsburg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If that leaked article is what led to the change in the games and them turning into pseudo WRPGs, then selfishly enough I'm ok with that, cause I like the newer games.

Demoralizing the staff is obviously a shitty thing though.

Zathalus

Oh no, how dare a journalist do their job. It's up to our PR department to make the game look as good as possible before you lay eyes upon it.

The Stig

They'd have just got all that negative feedback upon the game's release.

Schreier gave them a warning. They should have thanked him

Kilau

Isn't the context of this Jason going after "The Insider" leaker who broke NDAs when Jason himself has done the same? This isn't about the GTA6 hack.

HTK

Banned
aaawww poor Ubi, let's create a safe space for them so they can develop worry free. That whole tweet story is of an adult crying like little bitch so we can all feel guilty for someone on Twitter impacting our fav game or franchise.

I swear this industry is so laughable.

Fake

Are people really only knowing who Jason really is now?

Shocking.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What happened to the era thread on this? Jason had commented in it but it just disappeared. Did they really just lock a thread to protect Jason from actual devs?

Top Bottom