• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scrierer says E3 is in major trouble / Sony announcing today that they won't be @ E3

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The first couple times I went to E3, it was great. Then they opened it to the public, and it was a mess. So... honestly, having one less reason I need to go is kind of nice - now I have an excuse to sit it out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No wonder it's in bad shape. The press conferences are so goddamn boring. And yet I see all of them everytime. Staying up late, torturing myself. And what do I get? A couple of half assed CG-trailers and a five year-release window. Why?

I only pay attention to them for the dope live threads here. The community makes it entertaining with their sarcasm and whit.

Other than that, I don't even care.

Last E3 was as great as always, no sign at all of "E3 dying". It's kinda embarrassing that Sony apparently doesn't have enough material to show in a year they're launching a new system. This actually makes me think Sony expects a rather muted reaction, maybe due to high price or lack of great exclusives because PS4 is getting them already?

This is really only bad news for fans of Sony's. Microsoft- and Nintendo-fans will enjoy a great E3 as always, with Microsoft fully demoing nextgen Sexbox-games and Nintendo going all in on BotW2 and maybe the Switch Pro.

SantaC

Schreier is full of shit as usual. E3 was in its worst shape back in 2008.

The biggest thing to be talked about at E3 2008 was E3 itself, as its drastically reduced scope saw only a relative handful of journalists attending a show scaled down to fit within a single room in the Los Angeles Convention Center in downtown LA. The new, smaller format was almost universally panned by attendees, who lamented the loss of E3s past and their louder, brighter and more epically proportioned sense of grandeur.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How is it a strawman, I'm legit wondering why people want less information

How is not attending E3, and just releasing information at your own event(s), "less info"?

EA does not attend, and we still get the same information around that time, same for Devolver, Rockstar, etc., etc..

"Video killed the radio star"... in this case, "the internet killed the E3 money sink and doxing".

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
ITT we have people defending the choice to keep customers in the dark. Madness really, you really want LESS gaming information? Wtf?

Are you not aware that Sony just do Nintendo Directs instead now? There's absolutely no need for extended E3 presentations and they proved that with their abysmal final E3 show

One’s irrelevant and the other doesn’t have a press conference. Just stations with games that you can find at mall’s.

Can we just *not* do these console warrior shitposts? 🙄 thx

Are you not aware that Sony just do Nintendo Directs instead now? There's absolutely no need for extended E3 presentations and they proved that with their abysmal final E3 show

Nintendo does Directs on top of E3. Sony will be absent from E3 entirely. Also Sony used to be at E3 + have these events. You're getting less.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Really sad to see so many people, especially at Era, celebrating this. I watched E3 since forever and nothing could change that hype. Watching one conference, then going to eat and wait for another, then another...damn. It was sometimes a really magical moment for gaming (PS3 and 360 back in the day).

Saying companies are too big for E3 is true, but then again it was true 10 years ago as well. Them thinking they are Apple is what disappoints me a bit. Its like Samsung not coming to GDC.

pr0cs

How is not attending E3, and just releasing information at your own event, "less info"?

EA does not attend, and we still get the same information around that time, same for Devolver, Rockstar, etc., etc..
So you think that there hasn't ever been new information revealed at E3 in the past?
When are these own events you speak of? I've not seen anything posted yet

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Really sad to see so many people, especially at Era, celebrating this. I watched E3 since forever and nothing could change that hype. Watching one conference, then going to eat and wait for another, then another...damn. It was sometimes a really magical moment for gaming (PS3 and 360 back in the day).

Saying companies are too big for E3 is true, but then again it was true 10 years ago as well. Them thinking they are Apple is what disappoints me a bit. Its like Samsung not coming to GDC.

You're looking at the glass half empty. Instead of one bloated E3 event, now games and companies have their own mini E3s all around the year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nintendo does Directs on top of E3. Sony will be absent from E3 entirely. Also Sony used to be at E3 + have these events. You're getting less.

I know, I said they weren't "keeping consumers in the dark".

I guess we should get rid of CES as well?

I wonder what it is about how CES is run that makes it stay relevant. Don't care enough about consumer electronics to follow it, so I have no idea what goes into CES.

R600

Banned
You're looking at the glass half empty. Instead of one bloated E3 event, now games and companies have their own mini E3s all around the year.
Meh, Apple has one event per year and its A event. I dont need directs every 3 months with 2 trailers and 30 min QA.

gifgaf

Yet 8 posts above, you say this

It's kinda embarrassing that Sony apparently doesn't have enough material to show in a year they're launching a new system. This actually makes me think Sony expects a rather muted reaction, maybe due to high price or lack of great exclusives because PS4 is getting them already?
Hypocritical much?

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Considering Sony wasn’t at E3 last year and it was poorly attended, and the Switch is on fire tells me all I need to know about Xbox’s standing in the market. You can continue to fill your head with fantasies though about the reality of the situation. That’s fine too.

Also your first post in this thread totally
counters everything you just said, but I’ll ignore that to save you from embarrassing yourself further.

Edit: gitgaf beat me to it.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nothing reached the shitposting high of FFXIII announced for 360. Not Konami 2010, not Sony 2013, nothing.

It has been a gradual decrease in hype.

Top Bottom