• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scrierer says E3 is in major trouble / Sony announcing today that they won't be @ E3

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still haven't seen a link to Sony press conference, please post one

You're right, Sony is not going to ever have one this year. In fact, I have it on good authority of this goal post game, that they will just drop the PS5 with no information at all. Or maybe it is cancelled and we only a logo to stare at.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hope E3 never dies.

I need my anual E3 cringe moments fix

All from 7+ years ago.

It ain't been the same friend.

1396637811612s.jpg

Vawn

Banned
E3 needs to go. The days of edited videos that get to the point and don't waste our time with a bunch of nonsense are here.

Last E3 was just dreadful.

Nintendo has been way ahead on this one. Sony is catching on. Microsoft remains completely out of touch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't care it's at E3 or their own conference but Sony have to give me something.

who gives a shit about sony? lol i think sony is in trouble since they cant afford going to E3
I don't think it's about money.

It's a good thing for them, hopefully more developers/console manufacturers will do the same.
It's all a big circle jerk for so called gaming journalists.
You can have your own online event and choose the time when it suits you. Unlike E3, where there is fixed time and you have to compete with other console makers/developers for attention and news.
People think E3 is a big event but in reality it's really not. Sure people stream but hardcore people and people like gaffers. Regular Joe gamer doesn't give a shit and just reads the headlines. And guess what, regular Joe gamer is in the majority, hardcore people are in the minority.
Just my 2 cents.

Grinchy

Banned
My nostalgia wants E3 to live on, but my logical brain has been bored of it for years. Sony's show was usually ok, though was getting worse before they stopped going.

Microsoft's conferences were pretty bad and filled with nothing but racing shit or 3rd party trash games and CG trailers with some occasional gems. Then there's their made up bullshit like Hololens for gaming when they have nothing to fill a conference with and they're scrambling to get their name in the press in any way they can fabricate.

But then you have EA and Ubisoft's conferences....oh god. I want E3 to be good, but it just isn't anymore.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
This sucks E3 was great because I could schedule my time around it like Christmas. Now everyone and their grandma will have events in different months. It is to much to keep track of. I don't bother with the current non E3 events unless it is hardware reveal. If your not revealing hardware or not at E3 I'm not wasting my time I'll catch up here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And we'd still have people applauding that that was enough information

Why bother buying into the hyperbole?

It is no secret that the PlayStation brand is a tour de force around the world with global brand recognition. Doesn't mean you need to buy into the silly comments or assumptions. Just ignore them.

Are you not aware that Sony just do Nintendo Directs instead now? There's absolutely no need for extended E3 presentations and they proved that with their abysmal final E3 show

Nintendo does Directs on top of E3. Sony will be absent from E3 entirely. Also Sony used to
Yet 8 posts above, you say this

Hypocritical much?

There's nothing 'shitpost' about my posting you quoted. 🙄

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Still haven't seen a link to Sony press conference, please post one

They had a press conference at CES less than a week ago, but more importantly they've done 4 State of Play addresses in the last year, but you ignored me when I told you about those.

You're about to come up with some reason those addresses don't count for some reason even though though they're the same thing as Microsoft minus a man in a suit on a stage saying "please watch this next trailer".

Nintendo does Directs on top of E3. Sony will be absent from E3 entirely. Also Sony used to

You already replied to me. Take a nap.

I still like E3. Even if the conferences and announcements aren't great, it's still fun to watch and compare them. I'd hate to see it end.

On the other hand, I understand E3 just isn't in most companies' interest anymore. It probably just doesn't make sense to compete with others companies and announcements for attention of the customer. Platform holders like Sony can just do a stream whenever and have the entire evening or week to itself in terms of big game announcements. Nintendo has proven that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You bastard I fucking spat out my coffee everywhere that was so good 😂😂😂

My bad, I got you though!

Kagero

I love an E3 with Sony as a participant. I’m not going to lie. I think this sucks. There’s value in being there. Its a very high profile event. I would love a comment from Sony stating their decision.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Really sad to see so many people, especially at Era, celebrating this. I watched E3 since forever and nothing could change that hype. Watching one conference, then going to eat and wait for another, then another...damn. It was sometimes a really magical moment for gaming (PS3 and 360 back in the day).

Saying companies are too big for E3 is true, but then again it was true 10 years ago as well. Them thinking they are Apple is what disappoints me a bit. Its like Samsung not coming to GDC.
Don't buy into these frauds on this forum. If it were Microsoft saying they wouldn't attend E3, the narrative would be much, MUCH different. There would be loads of threads warning everyone that Microsoft was going to close all 15 studios and the Series X was being canned as we speak. These dudes are so full of shit. Lol

Sony is backing out so they can control the message their way. It doesn't ring well, tbh. You're backing out of E3 with a new generation of consoles and experiences? E3 is still a major venue for the gaming public. And Sony is simply backing out??? Something doesn't sound right... We'll see soon enough.

data_jack

E3 is no longer what it once was in the pre-streaming era of media content and I think it is unnecessary in its current form. All trailer/gameplay reveals should be done in a separate event that is purely on live-streaming services. Panels, interviews, and Q&As can all be done via conference calls with journalists. The only physical presence game companies should have is a TV, console, and controller to play the game advertised by a white sign with black text over the booth.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with a dude blowing his whistle?

The event was painfully long (despite it covered a very small selection of games), with so many cuts in between cause they changed the stage 3-4 times for these fillers, and to set the mood for their big first party games.

Now add that to the fact that Sony doesn't give a fuck about Europe (despite they have such a presence here) so their E3 press conference have always started at 3:30-4:00 am here, making it by default very hard to watch.

Either you stay up all night watching a man with his flute and so many fillers just for a 2 minute trailer, or you miss the event.

That year i tried watching it, but as soon as it started that way i ragequitted and watched the highlights the day after.

As of result the event was probably very expensive to make but not many people enjoyed it as much as other probably cheaper events (even previous E3s from Sony) but packed with game reveals, the reason why we all tune in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I don't think E3 could survive without Sony in there .. no offense to MS but Sony is a well known company when it comes to games everyone is waiting for E3 because of Sony ..

But .. I'm sure Sony will have their own big show

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I will miss E3 but if Sony is having their own E3 like PS5 reveal (they will) then I'm cool

eot

Banned
Schreier is full of shit as usual. E3 was in its worst shape back in 2008.
That was different, it was a small scale even on purpose and they immediately went back to the old format. E3 is clearly dying, whereas a decade ago it was still up in the air

Woo-Fu

Banned
How is it a strawman, I'm legit wondering why people want less information
Why are you assuming there will be less information? Hearing the same thing twice is not twice as much information.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Don't buy into these frauds on this forum. If it were Microsoft saying they wouldn't attend E3, the narrative would be much, MUCH different. There would be loads of threads warning everyone that Microsoft was going to close all 15 studios and the Series X was being canned as we speak. These dudes are so full of shit. Lol

Sony is backing out so they can control the message their way. It doesn't ring well, tbh. You're backing out of E3 with a new generation of consoles and experiences? E3 is still a major venue for the gaming public. And Sony is simply backing out??? Something doesn't sound right... We'll see soon enough.

You do realize every post you make follows this same stupid formula? Microsoft is mistreated. Poor Microsoft. If Sony did what MS did, it would be applauded. If MS did what Sony did it would be shunned.

Get over it. You remind me of those SJW people who want to act like everything you doing like is because of your gender, race , sexual preference, etc. Except it's worse for you because instead of playing the race card, etc, you are this paranoid over your video game console allegiance.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Why are you assuming there will be less information? Hearing the same thing twice is not twice as much information.
If Sony came out and said "we are not attending E3 any longer but will put on our own even focused on our future for playstation" then that would be better than leaving people in the dark.
Sony's messaging has been abysmal recently

Joe T.

E3 2018 - 69,200 attendees
E3 2019 - 66,100 attendees

Attendance down by 3,100 attendees = half empty?

giphy.gif

I found it overcrowded when it was at around 60,000, but I guess to some people bigger is always better... until they're stuck in line for 2 hours to play a 5 min demo.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Sony knows they can show PS5 games at their own event and get just as much exposure

The PS5 reveal will crash websites

Last edited:

shaddam

I really liked the e3 news in the old days. But today I would prefer a nintendo direct like show. I'm not feeling good about spending millions just for some game "journalist". Playable demos on the showfloor are great. Too bad I will problaby never visit an e3 :(

TBiddy

Last edited:

Bkdk

With fewer AAA projects and much more accessible media platforms, E3 is certainly losing its importance. There is no point for a press conference anymore if all they are doing is just that 1 or 2 big titles per year per big publisher. Games are also turning towards more focus on long term updates so it’s better to communicate directly with the community or just stream their new game/update on all popular websites.

StormCell

There is something lost by these companies not attending E3. They used to dedicate more time and money to building a presentation just for E3 that was specifically intended to get us hyped. Publishers today just aren't as driven to advertise to the core gaming audience. They're not spending nearly as much on us when they're absent from E3.

theHFIC

Let's all hop into our gas powered cars and go to the Video Game Tradeshow. We can user our cellular phones that still have buttons on the front and headphone jacks to take pictures and videos of screens showing games in order to build some kind of manufactured hype for products we will be inundated with advertising and marketing for over the course of the next 12 months regardless. Along with this, we can make it a badge of honor to wait hours for a non playable demo of a game that we'll probably buy on sale to play on our 1080P displays with a soundbar attached.

Along with that you have to pay HOW much to go?

Can E3 and other trade shows sound any more old fashioned and unappetizing??

Top Bottom