• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scrierer says E3 is in major trouble / Sony announcing today that they won't be @ E3

goldenpp72

You're right, Sony is not going to ever have one this year. In fact, I have it on good authority of this goal post game, that they will just drop the PS5 with no information at all. Or maybe it is cancelled and we only a logo to stare at.

PS5 being renamed to Sega Saturn 2 confirmed by insider

E3 is only good for the conferences and those are better when they're not actually live conferences with awkward speeches and scripted demos anyway. Get rid of it I say. Everyone who normally does a conference should just spend a fraction of the cost and upload a video to YouTube. If you wanna go the extra mile and really follow Nintendo's lead do some Treehouse style bullshit where you stream your employees playing the games afterward.

The only thing normies like me are gonna miss out on are peoples' impressions of playable games from the show floor, but I haven't trusted game journos' opinions on gameplay in years anyway so who gives a s h i t

Why is the Treehouse streaming 'bullshit'?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
E3 2011

e3_boothbabes_lr.jpg

E3 2019

maxresdefault.jpg

DIVERSITY

gosh i wonder where it went wrong 🦄

:pie_thinking:

Aion002

State of plays are no substitute for an E3 conference.

From that perspective they've all been subpar so far.

Now with less press conferences they might be.

They have a lot of potential... Sony only needs to fill them with better content. Nintendo Directs didn't start good, but Nintendo made them work.

GHG

Gold Member
Now with less press conferences they might be.

They have a lot of potential... Sony only needs to fill them with better content. Nintendo Directs didn't start good, but Nintendo made them work.

This is true but they didn't have an E3 conference last year and it didn't result in anything good from their own events.

I'd rather they just pack everything in to E3 like they used to tbh.

lock2k

Banned
The worst part of E3 is when they put a random motherfucker to play a generic FPS on stage while standing and people are like "woooow" when it's the same damn game for the last 10 years. That or a boring walking simulator. What a shitty-ass show.

Isa

Gold Member
Am I the only one who reads this as an assumption from Schrier? Like he knows something that's fucked up and he's just like, Oh I can see why Sony skipped it now. Because he doesn't really say that they're not going. What's he's said is that Sony skipping would make sense.

I'd wager Captain Journalism is still butthurt over the data breach and is taking jabs at the ESA through the medium of social media.

Now I personally don't want to see E3 go, I'd love for it to improve and keep going. I think many people overhype themselves and set their expectations too high, and most people lack the mental wherewithal to last a commercial break, much less a company meeting, date, church service, wedding, funeral, essentially anything that isn't some flashy cg megatonalada announcement fest. Besides E3 has been gold for all the memes its unleashed over the years. Tak Fuji is still my favorite, and even last year was good fun with Nintendo's direct and show coverage and MS's was pretty enjoyable as well. Keanu was awesome! What can I say I just love games.

I do expect Sony to have their own event around June though. I can say that many casuals at work though often know nada about State of Play which isn't too great, I think at the least each company would do well to integrate their news and coverage on their dashboards better. I like Nintendo's news section on Switch and I've seen a few ads and links on Xbox but not too much on my PS4. Hopefully next-gen improves on this.

ExpandKong

Banned
The worst part of E3 is when they put a random motherfucker to play a generic FPS on stage while standing and people are like "woooow" when it's the same damn game for the last 10 years. That or a boring walking simulator. What a shitty-ass show.

How about the four random motherfuckers playing a generic military shooter together and dropping some sweet gamerspeak like NICE SHOT BRO or I COULD USE SOME BACKUP OVER HERE PICK UP THAT SNIPER RIFLE NOOBSLAYER69

thelastword

Banned
Culled it...how? I swear sony fanboys are something else.
E3 has not been the same since they removed booth babes and reorganized the whole show, there was more on floor interaction and gamers of all persuasions came in to have a good time, meet each other, it was a nice festival of hobbyists.....Since then, E3 has just been a place to make announcements, it kinda lost it's soul, the spectacle to be there live......

At this point we have youtube, we have the internet, we have social media and live streaming......Sony can easily do it's own show and pull in more persons that would ever attend an E3, an individual event will pull in the numbers for Sony just the same, if not more, just look at the PS5 logo reactions on twitter......Perhaps nothing lasts forever, I think E3 was a genius idea back then, but things have changed, it's no longer a necessity...….If E3 is so hot, MS should be swimming in mindshare atm, but it's really not.....Sony didn't attend last year and it pulled in more interest in a logo, than a box reveal by MS the year following ....That should be explicable enough......

Ar¢tos

I don't need E3, i have GAF!
I read/watch the news/trailers that interest me here, in the comfort of my sofa, while drinking my hot tea. No need for decent clothes or shoes either!

Last edited:
Meh, Apple has one event per year and its A event. I dont need directs every 3 months with 2 trailers and 30 min QA.

Apple has multiple events each year - they had 3 last year, and 4 in 2018. But yeah, I personally miss E3 being a big event of the year.

It isn't just E3 though - these big trade shows are slowly dying across lots of industries. The Premium Cigar Association show (PCA formally known as IPCPR) just had the four largest cigar manufacturers announce that they won't be attending this year this past Friday.

It seems companies are wising up to the fact that it really isn't a good return on investment to spend all the money on huge elaborate "booth" build outs, the cost of sending tons of people, etc. when they can just announce their new products themselves. Things have simply changed.

Last edited:

Fbh

No way, where will they have their live music performances!?!?!?!?!?!

Even though the event has been disappointing these past couple of years, it would still suck to see it continue to loose relevance.
I kinda get the companies though. For the 99.9% of the audience that isn't at the event, getting a pre recorded video or a big and expensive press conference is about the same

State of plays are no substitute for an E3 conference.

From that perspective they've all been subpar so far.

To be fair though, the format itself isn't too bad. It's just that Sony has had nothing new to announce for a while.
Once they actually do have new things to talk about I can see them becoming enjoyable. If instead of small scale projects and VR stuff you get a state o of play with, for example, a reveal trailer for Horizon 2, a teaser trailer for Spiderman 2 and the announcement of a new IP, that's be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Has any company in the last 6 years done anything of the scale of there own e3 no
Yes they have. EA hosts events all the time.

You also failed to explain why something "of the scale" of E3 is needed to provide information to the customer? It isn't. Every piece of news we get is already regurgitated by numerous gaming "news" sites. There's nothing to be learned at E3 that can't be learned at publisher/developer events and/or via normal releases of information.

People seem to forget that E3 wasn't even supposed to be for consumers. The consumer side of it is relatively recent.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is true but they didn't have an E3 conference last year and it didn't result in anything good from their own events.

I'd rather they just pack everything in to E3 like they used to tbh.

I also think it was in a year where they had nothing really substantial to announce since we know what was on the table for the final PS4 push for 2019 and 2020.

Everything else big is going to be mostly PS5 related, so hopefully they go all out, which they should.

Last edited:
I love E3, I've been for the last 5 years or something, and previously went for like 8 years in the late 90's/early 00's.

It's certainly changed, and probably not for the better.. but things being different isn't automatically terrible.

It's a fun time to take a mini-vacation, hang out with some friends you don't see very often, and just revel in all things nerdy/gaming. I still like the conferences, even if they're not quite what they used to be.

I hope it keeps going.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Yes they have. EA hosts events all the time.

You also failed to explain why something "of the scale" of E3 is needed to provide information to the customer? It isn't. Every piece of news we get is already regurgitated by numerous gaming "news" sites. There's nothing to be learned at E3 that can't be learned at publisher/developer event and/or via normal releases of information.
When the disaster know as BF5 link me some the only thing they have done on there own is when they do NFS games. Everything else has been announced at either a e3 or a big gaming event EA has never done a direct for upcoming games like Nintendo.

ExpandKong

Banned
He looked like a massive weeb.... Sony couldn't afford to bring at least one of their countrymen to do this authentically? I wanted to skip that part badly 😅

That dude's Cornelius Boots, a world-renowned expert on the shakuhachi flute and one of the greatest living players of said instrument. He's been playing it since he was nine.

So your assessment is correct, massive weeb lol

That dude's Cornelius Boots, a world-renowned expert on the shakuhachi flute and one of the greatest living players of said instrument. He's been playing it since he was nine.

So your assessment is correct, massive weeb lol
That's a fact that I was unaware... I feel dumb for dissing a pro. 😁

Mato

I don't really care about E3 all that much anymore. But it's been a while since we had a Nintendo Direct. I can't wait to see more of BOTW2.

odhiex

Sucks, cause I like E3.

However, I understand why Sony is moving away from E3. It has been said by Layden and other executives, they hate E3's current format. It is too busy, painfully expensive, and they have had less media attention.

Sure, I still love watching press conferences and games announcements.

But now (with my own schedule) I prefer getting gaming news feed every day through many outlets rather than staring at the screen in the middle of the night/ early morning.

Klayzer

You do realize every post you make follows this same stupid formula? Microsoft is mistreated. Poor Microsoft. If Sony did what MS did, it would be applauded. If MS did what Sony did it would be shunned.

Get over it. You remind me of those SJW people who want to act like everything you doing like is because of your gender, race , sexual preference, etc. Except it's worse for you because instead of playing the race card, etc, you are this paranoid over your video game console allegiance.
That guy always plays Microsoft is the victim card in every topic. Then follows it up with some Xbox ball washing, plus a heavy dose of fake tough guy internet hostility. Rinse and repeat every single time.

TLZ

Banned
Yea I don't care about E3. We have the internet now and all we need is a simple YouTube video with all trailers and reveals.

Couldn't care less about cringy fakeass crowds and lame jokes. Or the out of place music bands. Or all the shaky presenters.

But it does provide good material for crowbcat though.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I know e3 is not as popular like it once was, but its interesting having all three console makers with live shows. Nintendo was the first to pull out of the live show spectacle. Sony is seemingly following suit. How long before Microsoft does the same? Either way, e3 looks to be losing revelence at an alarming rate.

Elenchus

Banned
Explains the attendance shortage. ;)

Attendance was over 66k in 2019. That was 3k less than the 69k in 2018 but still higher than the 50k in 2016 when Sony had reportedly one of its best E3 shows ever.

It was 68k in 2017 so it’s up and down from what I see.

Where’s the evidence of this massive downward trend again? #GAF-Facts??

You’d think these numbers would be in the OP but oh yes I remember...that’s not how propaganda works...

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
My first E3 was in 98' (in Atlanta I believe....or Atlanta was the year after) and I have been to a C R A P ton of them and the steady decline isn't a surprise from the way I see things. IMO E3 was always the "CES" of video games, it was a great place for creators to show off upcoming release and get folks excited. At first you could get in and get a booth with a modest investment, and in the early days the booth's came with power and basic items (a table, some chairs, etc).

Then as the games industry grew in value so did the cost of going to E3. Before the floor fell out in 2014 (which I think was the first year the entire show was open to general attendees not just the last day....cannot remember exactly) it was prohibitively expensive to get a booth space (did not include ANYTHING....not even drapery for areas around you), fly your team out, get hotel rooms, and then spend even more money on getting access to advertise (press flesh with the media) while you are there.

The internet (twitter, snapchat, vine, instagram, youtube, facebook) makes it SO easy to reach out to your community now that for mid to small sized publishers or developers its crazy to spend that kind of dough to show off a game that will in most cases get lost in a sea of other games. Unless MS, NIN, Sony, or a big name publisher is attaching your product to their plans it becomes really hard to get noticed without spending a years worth of Payroll in the process.

As far as the public getting access to E3.....well there is PAX for that. It's much cheaper and you are going there specifically TO MEET your community. At E3 you want access to the media to help market your product and they lost that as a USP for their product offering....you can do it better and cheaper somewhere else.

Don't even get me started on their priority points system for return exhibitors.....whew that was/is a mess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Attendance was over 66k in 2019. That was 3k less than the 69k in 2018 but still higher than the 50k in 2016 when Sony had reportedly one of its best E3 shows ever.

It was 68k in 2017 so it’s up and down from what I see.

Where’s the evidence of this massive downward trend again? #GAF-Facts??

You’d think these numbers would be in the OP but oh yes I remember...that’s not how propaganda works...

Can't a joke be just a damned joke?

tumblr_nb99x1fR4L1rrkahjo2_250.gif

imsosleepy

I don't think it's about money.

It's a good thing for them, hopefully more developers/console manufacturers will do the same.
It's all a big circle jerk for so called gaming journalists.
You can have your own online event and choose the time when it suits you. Unlike E3, where there is fixed time and you have to compete with other console makers/developers for attention and news.
People think E3 is a big event but in reality it's really not. Sure people stream but hardcore people and people like gaffers. Regular Joe gamer doesn't give a shit and just reads the headlines. And guess what, regular Joe gamer is in the majority, hardcore people are in the minority.
Just my 2 cents.
watch the video views on youtube for e3 reveals, they are usually MUCH higher then when they release trailers when its not at e3. also the coverage is much less. its a week full focus by EVERYBODY in the games industry.

Also e3 is the time when I see lots of game news on the big mainstream news site here in my country as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom