• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scrierer says E3 is in major trouble / Sony announcing today that they won't be @ E3

HE1NZ

Banned
From what I am seeing, Xbox 360 had lifetime sales of 86 million as of 8/23/16 and Playstation 3 had lifetime sales of >87.4 million as of 3/31/17. PS3 was far from an overall failure...did it come in last place for sales out of all of the Playstation consoles, yes, most definitely, but a failure, not at all...if you don't believe me on the sales figures you can check out the links below.

Xbox 360 Sales

Playstation 3 Sales
I can believe that PS3 sold slightly more. Though previous poster suggested Xbox was supported till 2016 it's not true. Where I live 360 was nonexistent by 2014, completely replaced by XO, while PS3 was still on sale two years ago. Sony definitely sold out cheap PS3 units by the end of it's life cycle, while Microsoft only wants people to buy their latest (they replaced Xbox by 360 very suddenly too). I think region wise 360 outsold PS3 2 to 1 in US, did worse in other regions especially Japan hence the numbers parity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When there is an adequate OP with the necessary factual content maybe?

Because I thought GAF wanted numbers. Or is it just some numbers??

Let me know when y’all get ya stories straight. Lol.

fLzBlkb.jpg

You’re LTTP, numbers were already posted many moon back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can all you Sony gamers trying to hijack the thread with PS3 vs. 360 sales from 10 years ago take it elsewhere?

We're here to discuss why Sony is bailing from E3 again like 2019.

Thanks,

E3 used to be great. I even loved the cringe moments.. But now it's turned into only cringe, because everything announced is mobile
Mobile games were just the symptom. The underlying issue with E3 the last few years was that it became more and more corporation-oriented and less so on the consumers.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So i ve been lurking around and turns out theres been masssive data leaks from journalist on previous E3 events?

If true thats good enough reason for them to skip the E3

Theres still Gamescom and TGS to show their new console

Last edited:
So i ve been lurking around and turns out theres been masssive data leaks from journalist on previous E3 events?

If true thats good enough reason for them to skip the E3

Theres still Gamescom and TGS to show their new console
Oh yeah, the ESA basically doxxed every journo who attended. Their personal info, home addresses, social security numbers, etc were all in a completely unsecured and non-encrypted folder that got dumped.

Dlacy13g

I get that they can have success without E3, certainly Sony has done well enough in the wake of this years E3 and their lack of presence. However, the "Devils Advocate" in me says for all those saying Sony doesn't need E3 let's not forget that E3 2014 was the event and frankly the catalyst that propelled Sony into the dominance they saw this generation. It was the combination of MS's horrid showing at E3 combined with Sony having the right messaging and event at E3 that was covered around the world. The "Here is how we share video games" clip and the price drop announcement were the equivalents to the shot heard round the world.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh yeah, the ESA basically doxxed every journo who attended. Their personal info, home addresses, social security numbers, etc were all in a completely unsecured and non-encrypted folder that got dumped.
That was an accident. Pretty sure the ESA employee who did it didn't mean it on purpose.

Just like Sony accidentally had crap security, and PSN got hacked and taken down for weeks.

Things happen and you move on.

How many other companies and media outlet employees part of the list are boycotting E3 due to the list leak?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That was an accident. Pretty sure the ESA employee who did it didn't mean it on purpose.

Just like Sony accidentally had crap security, and PSN got hacked and taken down for weeks.

How many other companies and media outlet employees part of the list are boycotting E3 due to the list leak?

A bit too early for your console warring here

Acident or not they should be held accountable

Trust are not to be gained so easily

I wont be flying another Boeing 737 Max plane afterwards despite the security issues has been resolved

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted in here yet, but an interesting couple of tidbits from the gamesindustry article on this:
""After thorough evaluation, SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.""

And:

"E3 organiser the ESA has struggled to satisfy all of its members who have been split over what they want the show to be. Some publishers such as EA and Sony want to see E3 become a fan celebration of games, whereas others would rather the event remained an industry-focused affair.

The ESA has tried to satisfy both groups by introducing some consumer elements to E3, but with limited success."

Seems this may have been brewing for a while. Looks like they plan to make up for it though.

You know what else wasn't on purpose? The PSN hack.

Know what else isn't on purpose? Data breaches at VPN providers and banks.

But it happens, and when it happens, it hurts trust.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A bit too early for your console warring here

Acident or not they should be held accountable

Trust are not to be gained so easily

I wont be flying another Boeing 737 Max plane afterwards despite the security issues has been resolved
You know what else wasn't on purpose? The PSN hack.

Know what else isn't on purpose? Data breaches at VPN providers and banks.

But it happens, and when it happens, it hurts trust.
And tons of companies have breaches, shitty products, car recalls, etc..... You move on.

Held accountable? Sure. Ok, what do you want them to do by accidentally posting a list of contact info?

Good. In the grand scheme of things, Sony can be more "direct" (pun intended) to their audience with State of Play - and we'll have to see if that improves - and E3 has increasingly been losing popularity over time.

So we just cancel them for what was probably an unintended mistake? IIRC Sony had millions of people's credit card info doxxed years ago in that infamous PSN hack (which wasn't that much of a hack because of how easy it was to access the info), should Sony and PS have been cancelled then too without a chance to rebuild and redeem themselves?

Some double standard there. What happened with the journalists doesn't coincide with why Sony's skipping this year, anyway. It's essentially a worthless point to bring up in that context.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm fine with this as long as Sony holds its own major event similar to E3 roughly during that time frame. Perhaps moving PlayStation Experience to Summer instead of Winter?

DrAspirino

Banned
I get that they can have success without E3, certainly Sony has done well enough in the wake of this years E3 and their lack of presence. However, the "Devils Advocate" in me says for all those saying Sony doesn't need E3 let's not forget that E3 2014 was the event and frankly the catalyst that propelled Sony into the dominance they saw this generation. It was the combination of MS's horrid showing at E3 combined with Sony having the right messaging and event at E3 that was covered around the world. The "Here is how we share video games" clip and the price drop announcement were the equivalents to the shot heard round the world.

E X A C T L Y

giphy.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
Well the last units sold numbers wikipedia has is from 2014 (84m) and PS3 is from 2017 (87m). PS3 was considered a failure throughout the whole run, could barely run multiplatform, was a laughing stock. Then Sony announced they've outsold 360 and now the new narrative is that PS3 was a success. I see it everywhere.

PS3 was a failure not due to sales but due to how much loss it accrued bcus Sony sold it for heavy losses for like half the gen. Even with being hundreds more, inferior multiplats, online going down for months it outsold 360 worldwide almost every month upon its release. Add to tht the exclusives tht wiped the floor with the competition like Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and God of War, TLOU setting graphical and gameplay benchmarks and it was only a failure in a business sense due to profit margins 😏 Gamers loved it, reviewers loved its exclusives and from tht ppl moved on to PS4 tht became a behometh😏❤️

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As I said last time, it barely affects me. I stopped watching the Sony conferences 2 years ago.

I wake up early and watch the Nintendo Directs because they're still fun. Then they 2 full days of Treehouse Live. I watch the entire thing.

Sony usually fills up 45 min of time and it's better to just catch headlines later. They dont even make good directs either. It's not a big loss.

Gargus

Banned
E3 is useless in this day and age.

It was important when print and word of mouth was still important. But anyone at any time can reach billions of people everywhere makes it pointless. I can be sitting on a toilet on a plane 35,000 feet in the air and learn about ps5 the instant Sony reveals it. And within minutes it will be on a hundred websites and a thousand forums. What does e3 really mean then? Nothing.

E3 is like waiting for the 6 o'clock news to find out the weather instead of just going to weather.com

The only shows that are of any value is like pax where it's for the fans by the fans. E3 is just a trade show but when billions have instant internet access with them constantly announcing stuff at it once a year fails to be a big deal.

Sony can just do their own show on their own schedule and get just as much attention as they would at e3 and not have to spend millions and millions to do it.

I_D

E3 should never die. It's awesome.

Precisely this.

It's outdated, sure. It's corny, of course. It's probably more expensive than it's worth.

But it's also one of the few places for game fans to get hype after hype after hype. It's one of those few times when a bunch of friends can get together to witness unheard-of game content.
How many of us have sat there with a group of friends, while we all shout at the screen trying to guess which game is being revealed before the logo pops up? It's something not easily replicated by any other form of media.
It's also way better than any other comparable tech showcases. I love me some Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. conventions, but they pale in comparison to your typical E3. Blizzcon is good. Quakecon is good. Other 'cons' are usually solid. But none of them are equal to E3.

Sure, Sony and MS and Nintendo can all create their own separate showcases, but that misses some of the glory of E3. E3 is a combination of revealing new content, while also dick-waving and trying to one-up the competition. Having separate shows, entirely unrelated to each other, defeats some of the inherent feel of the show.

So even if it's corny and occasionally dull, and it creates hype for inevitable flops, E3 is still awesome.

Last edited:

vpance

E3 is useless in this day and age.

It was important when print and word of mouth was still important. But anyone at any time can reach billions of people everywhere makes it pointless. I can be sitting on a toilet on a plane 35,000 feet in the air and learn about ps5 the instant Sony reveals it. And within minutes it will be on a hundred websites and a thousand forums. What does e3 really mean then? Nothing.

E3 is like waiting for the 6 o'clock news to find out the weather instead of just going to weather.com

The only shows that are of any value is like pax where it's for the fans by the fans. E3 is just a trade show but when billions have instant internet access with them constantly announcing stuff at it once a year fails to be a big deal.

Sony can just do their own show on their own schedule and get just as much attention as they would at e3 and not have to spend millions and millions to do it.

Some more analogies:

E3 is like staying up to watch the Tonight Show to see celeb news.

E3 is like sitting together with the family to watch XYZ cable TV show.

E3 is like listening to top 100 countdowns on the radio to hear the newest songs.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Not for anyone outside of NA it isn't, and Sony isn't nearly so dependent on that market as MS is.

More importantly E3's importance and cachet was largely due to its importance to business and that it was for many years a trade-only event. Since it became a public event in 2017 its stock has basically plummeted, because its nothing special anymore.
You realize how big the US market is, right??.... Right????

E3 is still a major venue for gaming public. Its basically Christmas for gamers. To say its dying or dead is delusional. I bet Microsoft will be there, and they can do their own venue ten time over than Sony.

Who knows. Might be issue with ESC stuff. If that be the reason, I can't fault them. If it anything like they just feel like they don't need E3,I hope like hell it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Varteras

Gold Member
You realize how big the US market is, right??.... Right????

E3 is still a major venue for gaming public. Its basically Christmas for gamers. To say its dying or dead is delusional. I bet Microsoft will be there, and they can do their own venue ten time over than Sony.

Who knows. Might be issue with ESC stuff. If that be the reason, I can't fault them. If it anything like they just feel like they don't need E3,I hope like hell it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Why? If a company decides it doesn't need a particular event to promote their products, especially if they do their own event, why would you hope that doesn't work for them? Times change. Things that used to be of monumental importance fade. The companies that do attend, they don't love you. They don't do it because they want to make you happy for the sake of it. They do it to convince you to spend money on them over the other guy. So what does it really matter how, where, and when they decide to do that?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Why? If a company decides it doesn't need a particular event to promote their products, especially if they do their own event, why would you hope that doesn't work for them? Times change. Things that used to be of monumental importance fade. The companies that do attend, they don't love you. They don't do it because they want to make you happy for the sake of it. They do it to convince you to spend money on them over the other guy. So what does it really matter how, where, and when they decide to do that?
The fuck are you even talking about? "They don't love me??? " Lol. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? I never expected them to. Nor do I require it. But its still a huge venue and where others who don't pay attention that closely to the gaming community who can get an idea if what's on tap for next gen at E3. Its a ridiculously huge event. Microsoft were the only ones who showed last year and they sold every seat in their own building. E3 isn't dying. At all.

Varteras

Gold Member
The fuck are you even talking about? "They don't love me??? " Lol. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? I never expected them to. Nor do I require it. But its still a huge venue and where others who don't pay attention that closely to the gaming community who can get an idea if what's on tap for next gen at E3. Its a ridiculously huge event. Microsoft were the only ones who showed last year and they sold every seat in their own building. E3 isn't dying. At all.

I mean I'm clearly talking to someone who is overly emotional. You didn't answer my question. Why do you hope someone has consequences for not showing up at a particular event if they've decided they'd rather reach customers in other ways? What does it matter how they reach people as long as they try to?

odhiex

Looking at the numbers, I don't think Sony see E3 as important as many thought it is now. It is expensive (LACC booths) and not so effective (for them) to hype-up the announcements. Business people know their numbers.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
E3 is outdated. Time to take it out back and put it down.
Agreed. The MS, EA, Bethesda and Ubi shows are absolute fucking dross every year. Just kill it. Sony will continue to prosper without it.

Last edited:

Chromata

Wow E3 attendance are so low

What happened there

is this because of the press leak data controversy?

That's not unusual, E3 attendance numbers have been 60k-70k for many years now (and never beyond that).

Remember, it's a press event not a public one (even though in some years it's open to public in a limited fashion).

The other events are public.

why E3 sucks? the E3 shows that will happen on 2020 in my prediction
CONS:
EA is a shit....well they introduced games @ E3 but their games has backfiring rate of microtransaction on it + reviving their games but in reality another shovel.....to bury it
Ubisoft is a shit well same as EA but their main series are on low due "OPEN WORLD" Evolution that losing more interesting settings and story that they introduce on E3(on contrary their games are good concept but execution is dead on arrival on release date)
Betheseda is a truly a immersion experience on E3 but in reality their games is meh....they are ubisoft 2.0 with EA shitty on their back
Microsoft Um....one question that will rule on it "Where is the Games PLease?" + snorefest + GamePass Galore in future
PC Gaming Show is well okay but lingering of dark side....of EPIC Games Exclusive Annoucement

PRO:

Square enix mostly stay true but neutral on their games mostly okay than big 3 but please dont another open world immersion...like FFXV is a snorefest fantasy of bros

Nintendo is truly savior of E3.....even their side events are more fun that the BIG 3 and Microsoft

Devolver Digital Games is TRUE EPIC E3 Showmaster of them ALL

most Why E3 suck due ESA their age RATING SYSTEM still not updating...they are still supporting microtransaction as part of gaming experience that no need to rate

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
You can't compare E3 2014. We are In different times now.
How so? We're at the brink of a new console generation, both consoles are pretty identical in specs (both x86, both same chipsets, etc...), rumors are getting louder by the day, there's hype for the new games... I say we're pretty close to what 2014 was and if Sony play it's cards the same way they did in 2014 (you know...the nuclear bomb they threw on that E3...), the new Xbox would be doomed to fail even on day one.

PS4 started winning this generation BECAUSE OF E3 and Microsoft failures and bad rep. earned that year.

newtonfb

Wow...the sony fanboys defending not attending is surprising actually. Hell at this point if Microsoft does announce a more powerful Xbox by by 3TFs theyll come up with something to defend it again. The facts are Microsoft is stepping up their game...(no pun intended). Any company who doesn't attend E3 is an FU, especially the size of Sony , its a celebration for the fans and to show off new things.

Great Hair

Banned

Comparatively the numbers look "bad", but they seem normal. Record according to vg247 is 70,000.

e3 2018
This year’s convention drew over 69,200 people to the Los Angeles Convention Centre, the highest been since 2005.

Pretty sure that e3 has still a bigger pull than any of the other events.

Last edited:
Top Bottom