• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scrierer says E3 is in major trouble / Sony announcing today that they won't be @ E3

Heinrich

Banned
Oh yeah, the ESA basically doxxed every journo who attended. Their personal info, home addresses, social security numbers, etc were all in a completely unsecured and non-encrypted folder that got dumped.

LOL didn’t same happen with Sony and PSN? How much was that? Like 70.000.000 personal user data including CREDIT CARD info?

So we just cancel them for what was probably an unintended mistake? IIRC Sony had millions of people's credit card info doxxed years ago in that infamous PSN hack (which wasn't that much of a hack because of how easy it was to access the info), should Sony and PS have been cancelled then too without a chance to rebuild and redeem themselves?

Some double standard there. What happened with the journalists doesn't coincide with why Sony's skipping this year, anyway. It's essentially a worthless point to bring up in that context.
And it took them HOW many years to regain that trust? Some people still refuse to trust them to this day.

Nobody's "canceling" anything, but pretending there won't be, or shouldn't be, fallout from this is plain silly. And I'm not the one who brought it up, I was confirming it happened and why that's contributing to the decline of E3 atm.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

So Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be Sony's last hype trailer for e3.
Yet Sony wants memorable times like that to disappear?

Thanks, Sony.
Not.

>:/

Kagey K

Banned
lol what a pathetic damage control attempt.
Dude, no one gives a shit about the „Brazil Games Show“
e3 ONLY HAS PROFESSIONAL 70K attendances. If it would be open to the public there would be at least 500K attendances. Easily.
E3 is BY FAR the most important games show. Easily.
That’s the thing. E3 is limited to “press“ and like 10,000 passes for general public. Those other shows are open to anybody after day 1. It’s hard to buy tickets that aren’t for sale.

E3 is the biggest (and most exclusive) Video Game tradeshow of the year. You don’t give up that publicity to save some money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
e3 ONLY HAS PROFESSIONAL 70K attendances. If it would be open to the public there would be at least 500K attendances. Easily.
I never knew ChinaJoy and G-Star Korea were such important shows for MS, Sony and Nintendo.

lol

Never even heard of G-Star Korea.

Texas Pride

Banned
As a customer I honestly don't care about E3. I get many do but it's just not relevant anymore imo. Before the internet blew up it was necessary to help drive the industry. With the speed information travels now and everyone being jacked into the internet it won't be long until these companies are doing their own thing and E3 is a thing of the past. The success of the Playstation brand doesn't hinge on E3 & Sony doesn't need E3. The world will continue to turn long after E3 is no more. The suck ass gaming "journalist" who rely on E3 to drive clicks and line their pockets need E3 the most. Anything that hastens their demise is ultimately a win for everyone else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just want the trailers and none of the painful corporate bullshit, so I guess I’m indifferent to this.
No kidding.

Pretty sure gamers care about game videos (both trailers and gameplay), and people talking about specs and features.

Out of all you gaffers, raise your hand if you enjoy these tard pieces:

- Execs on stage sucking up with scripted thank you speeches or Bethesda human resources corporate culture videos

- Music bit #1

- Cheesy scripted Wii, Kinect, and Move acting

- Music bit #2

- (UBI is a big culprit)..... showing a MP video with the worst and fake teamwork dialogue ever

- Music bit #3

- Game director gets on stage to talk about the latest game. Says vague shit, followed by an even more vague video, or worst of all just a logo on a powerpoint slide saying coming soon and then walks off

bitbydeath

Not surprised.

They haven't showed their face at E3 since that ridiculously weird format in 2018.

My god that was awful :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Did we ever find out why they had to change venues mid-seminar? That might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

KiNeMz

Banned
How so? We're at the brink of a new console generation, both consoles are pretty identical in specs (both x86, both same chipsets, etc...), rumors are getting louder by the day, there's hype for the new games... I say we're pretty close to what 2014 was and if Sony play it's cards the same way they did in 2014 (you know...the nuclear bomb they threw on that E3...), the new Xbox would be doomed to fail even on day one.

PS4 started winning this generation BECAUSE OF E3 and Microsoft failures and bad rep. earned that year.
The reach of apps like Twitter YouTube WeChat Instagram are by a far larger than then. It's a different marketing time. Companies have learnt they don't need 12 month lead times on marketing hype now. It's overnight. That's a huge difference. Magazines and print runs don't matter anymore.

Psykodad

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted in here yet, but an interesting couple of tidbits from the gamesindustry article on this:
""After thorough evaluation, SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," said a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year.""

And:

"E3 organiser the ESA has struggled to satisfy all of its members who have been split over what they want the show to be. Some publishers such as EA and Sony want to see E3 become a fan celebration of games, whereas others would rather the event remained an industry-focused affair.

The ESA has tried to satisfy both groups by introducing some consumer elements to E3, but with limited success."

Seems this may have been brewing for a while. Looks like they plan to make up for it though.
So much for "bad guy Sony/MS is for the gamers".

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Where are all those people that gave shit to Nintendo for smelling the dinosaur fumes?

The only reason why Microsoft is doing E3 this year is because they thought Sony would. Watch them bail on it next year once they realize E3 is no longer cool with the kids.

Kagey K

Banned
Where are all those people that gave shit to Nintendo for smelling the dinosaur fumes?

The only reason why Microsoft is doing E3 this year is because they thought Sony would. Watch them bail on it next year once they realize E3 is no longer cool with the kids.
Yeah it’s not cool to interact with your fans, or show them new stuff.

YouTube videos all day is where it’s at.

*🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮*

Heinrich

Banned

lol no. Sony haven’t been there last year, so Microsoft already expected Sony not to be there.
Microsoft will still be there.

godhandiscen

Still haven't seen a link to Sony press conference, please post one
In the year of a new console release do you think Sony won’t have an event?
In fact E3 occurs at such an awful date, it is most likely Sony won’t have a full reveal until less than a month away from the release date of the PS5 to keep the original hype momentum. Microsoft should take note.

Kagey K

Banned
In the year of a new console release do you think Sony won’t have an event?
In fact E3 occurs at such an awful date, it is most likely Sony won’t have a full reveal until less than a month away from the release date of the PS5 to keep the original hype momentum. Microsoft should take note.
Or Sony should take note of the Dreamcast.

They did almost exactly what you just suggested.

godhandiscen

Yeah it’s not cool to interact with your fans, or show them new stuff.

YouTube videos all day is where it’s at.

*🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮*

Interacting with fans? You have proper game expos that put fans first such as PAX for that. E3 is for people in the industry and their friends. Have you ever gotten to play something on an E3 floor? Or do you just consume the YouTube videos like the rest of us?

Heinrich

Banned
The mental gymnastics in this thread... wow. So pathetic.
It’s like sone people are in a CULT or something.

People WAKE UP! this abusive relationship is NOT good for you!
its ok to call your master out on their shit! No one will hurt you!

Kagey K

Banned
Interacting with fans? You have proper game expos that put fans first such as PAX for that. E3 is for people in the industry and their friends. Have you ever gotten to play something on an E3 floor? Or do you just consume the YouTube videos like the rest of us?
Neither?

Im hoping to go to this E3, but previous to that I watch the streams live. It’s not like being there, but it’s better then watching the videos on YouTube later.

godhandiscen

I can also watch Nintendo Direct “Live” the moment it goes online.
These are announcement conferences. Does it really matter if they take place on a stage sponsored by E3? The games will be the same.
For years all that E3 has accomplished has been setting expectations that were never fulfilled. I think it is better if companies are in control of their announcement schedule.
Apple has been killing it for years controlling their own message and you don’t see them mingling at CES announcing things 8 months before they go on sale.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The mental gymnastics in this thread... wow. So pathetic.
It’s like sone people are in a CULT or something.

People WAKE UP! this abusive relationship is NOT good for you!
its ok to call your master out on their shit! No one will hurt you!

Nice that you refer to Phil as your master 😂. Look, I like big conferences too, so I will tell you this: if they go the Nintendo Direct route to announce PS5 yes that will be shit and they will rightfully get ridiculed for it as they are wasting a big opportunity, but I do not think that is even remotely likely to happen.

It MS had announced Xbox 💓 Games live big audience event away from E3 and cancelled their E3 appearance, you+KageyK+DynamiteCop would have written quite a lot about how that was actually a great choice and you know that, so take this sanctimonious tone down a notch please :).

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Wow...the sony fanboys defending not attending is surprising actually. Hell at this point if Microsoft does announce a more powerful Xbox by by 3TFs theyll come up with something to defend it again. The facts are Microsoft is stepping up their game...(no pun intended). Any company who doesn't attend E3 is an FU, especially the size of Sony , its a celebration for the fans and to show off new things.
Oh look another dummy account.
Joined.....2014......35 messages......yeah ban this account

rofif

Banned
I really dont like what that jason guy is doing. Helis news are always "they are going to announce".... Leaks, rumors and so on. Cmon

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Remember when Xbox fans were saying Sony was doomed by skipping E3 2019?

Yeah, I remember that too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What's funny is that they were in the news through the entire week and they didn't even attend E3.

This isn't the 90's or the early 2000's people. Attending E3 to get media coverage isn't necessary. News travels faster than ever and that's why Sony doesn't fee like they need to be there.

GHG

Gold Member

6a00d8341d46b053ef014e8b1c39b2970d-800wi

Is anyone here disappointed by Sony's silence? Like where are they and what are they upto? not a word of PS5 event when and where it'd happen. Nothing. Meanwhile Xbox tweets out that they are going to have the biggest E3 this year. Why the silent treatment Sony?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Jesus, this thread, lol!

There is some embarrassing fanboy wars going on in here. It’s pathetic.

Grow up, all of you.

Nintendo is king.

Fk is he talking about in "Trouble" ?

MS, Nintendo will whipe everything off the floor, plus major Game Devs always there in attendance..do I need to even explain this, damnit ☻😈

Sophist

E3 was an event for the industry by the industry when that industry was still blooming; a place were publishers, developers, and reporters would meet up. Now it's about fan-bases, doing the buzz, social media influencers, ... Today, GDC is probably what comes closest to old e3.

Fk is he talking about in "Trouble" ?

MS, Nintendo will whipe everything off the floor, plus major Game Devs always there in attendance..do I need to even explain this, damnit ☻😈
Yeah, what would the journalists who the event wants to cater to know about the event being a bit of a mess anyways?

Thabass

This has little relevance on how much it costs to run E3. Especially since it's in Los Angeles and given that a lot of these companies needs an especially lot of money to help their own interests in the show (like setup, marketing, equipment, ect...). Note that even if you are in the industry, you still need to pay to get into the show. Unless you get a press pass or working as part of one of the publishers / developers (which again, is more of a cost to them as they need to get everyone credentialed. You don't just get in for free if you work for the company).

Now, given what we've seen in the last year or so, it seems like the ESA was trying to get more people to go to the show. But then they had press only days which limited the amount of people to get in all days. If I were the ESA, I would open up the show to everyone for all days. But now you strip E3 of it's "trade show" image and E3 is now just another convention like PAX.

E3 is in bad shape, but I don't think it will die, unless the ESA makes the right moves. Oh, and also doesn't leak industry data again...

Top Bottom