• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Pinkerton (Portal 2 and Team Fortress 2 writer) has left Valve.

Bluth54

Damn, TF2 and Portal are the best things Valve has written. I'll miss TF2 comics.

And they were fucking hilarious:

It's unlikely that the TF2 comics will stop, Sheila Sadeghi worked on the the last comic and voice lines for the last few TF2 updates so she'll likely continue working on TF2.

This is Shelia's current resume:

Wrote, directed, cut, and compiled over 1,000 voice lines for update.
Wrote, directed, cut, and compiled over 500 lines for new games.
Developed content for Team Fortress blog.
Developed content for comics, animations, voice over (VO), and more.
Wrote scripts and mockups for comics, animated shorts, VO, and more.
Directed actors during local and remote recording sessions.
Recorded, processed, and cut final and temporary audio.
Provided temporary VO and artwork for marketing materials.
Worked with local and remote artists to create marketing content.
Lettered Dota, TF, and CS:GO comics and other marketing materials.
Proficient in Adobe Creative Studio.

Shipped updates include
• Dota 2: Sundered Moon, Balance of Power, Tip of the Spear, Tales of the Monkey King, A New Journey
• Team Fortress 2: Scream Fortress #6, Tough Break, Competitive Beta, Meet Your Match, TF Issue #6
• CS:GO in-game comic
• VR Vive: Tutorial, Hub, Slingshot

How are they corrupt when they just want to do different things? People should stop being angry at Valve because they don't churn out single-player games anymore.

Get with the times, Mivey. Not making AAA single player games (preferably on console) = corruption.

Nzyme32

Prove it.

Lol These comments are endlessly amusing.

Still I'm very curious who the new folks are - that naturally will get no mention and will not be considered "credible" till we see their output and have them associated with it

Kinyou

Guess there goes any chance for Portal 3. Hope we'll get to see his humor in another game

Wonder what he was working on all those years. Just those tf2 comics?

I hope Jay and the other Valve writers stay in the games industry but go indie. I don't want them to waste their talent by joining a triple-A meat grinder studio.

AJ_Wings

Best of luck to Pinkerton in his future endeavors. His work in Portal 2 & the TF2 comics is nothing short of fantastic.

Valve have become experts at pissing away serious talent as well as screwing their well established MP games with horrendous updates. Honestly, cant say Im shocked at this point.

Parsnip

Best of luck to him.

But I don't think this really changes anything in regards to highly coveted games from Valve. In theory they could always contract them if they really wanted to. Probably better that way too, I can't imagine a writer would have a ton of daily work in a company like Valve.

Xdrive05

I'd really like to know the whole story as to what exactly happened with Valve's single player projects and creative process. I really mean the whole story.

Remember that E3 where Gaben was on stage and fellating Sony and talking about how awesome the PS3 version of Portal 2 would be? And then it actually was awesome. At that moment it really looked like Valve was going in hard with consoles and big single player games again. Then it just didn't happen. Now everyone's leaving.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Whole game campaign making thing falls apart if no-ones in charge. Said so from the start, heres the grim end.

Sad....

One of my favorite singleplayer game developers just doesn't care about those kind of games anymore it seems. Shame

HariKari

I'd really like to know the whole story as to what exactly happened with Valve's single player projects and creative process. I really mean the whole story.

Remember that E3 where Gaben was on stage and fellating Sony and talking about how awesome the PS3 version of Portal 2 would be? And then it actually was awesome. At that moment it really looked like Valve was going in hard with consoles and big single player games again. Then it just didn't happen. Now everyone's leaving.

The real story is how much Valve makes from microtransactions and Steam. They won't invest time in a SP title because... it's hard to monetize.

Drencrom

The real story is how much Valve makes from microtransactions and Steam. They won't invest time in a SP title because... it's hard to monetize.

Basically, the people that work there now simply aren't driven to create something with artstic intent or merit. They rather work on ways to earn more money through the streamstore and microtransactions.

Should have spun off the games division from the store a long time ago and made it a separate entity now it is dead instead.

Yup, that would've been a great idea, but alas.

dr_rus

What are they doing over there? All that talent and nothing but Dota crap.

All the talent? Hasn't all but the technical Steam staff left already? Even the Steam tech guys talent is kinda dubious these days as they still haven't figured out how to make the client DPI aware in 2017.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All the talent? Hasn't all but the technical Steam staff left already? Even the Steam tech guys talent is kinda dubious these days as they still haven't figured out how to make the client DPI aware in 2017.

While proper scaling support in the here and now would be nice, another client overhaul is only around the corner (well, Valve Time permitting), so there's the distinct possibility it was categorised as a low-priority feature and not worth implementing in the current client.

Steam truly was a monkeypaw situation. For all the good it's done for PC gamers, it also has killed PC's greatest developer. Valve is now nothing more than the developer of a distribution service.

Planet

This was a triumph! I'm making a note here: huge success! For the good of all game studios except the ones who are dead.

dr_rus

While proper scaling support in the here and now would be nice, another client overhaul is only around the corner (well, Valve Time permitting), so there's the distinct possibility it was categorised as a low-priority feature and not worth implementing in the current client.

Yeah, it'll soon be what, a year since the first info on this new client leaked? They are too slow recently, even when it comes to Steam updates, nevermind the games.

It's as if their policy of making something without teams, milestones and planned release dates lead to such stuff /sarcasm

No other good writers exist so I guess Valve are fucked.

They don't need writers if they don't plan on making anymore games. Valve saw that they could rake in MORE money with Steam and figured, "Oh, we don't need to make games anymore? Fuck it, full focus on Steam, then!! Half-Life what?"

Top Bottom