• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z officially inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame (

https://twitter.com/TIDALHiFi/status/875393920884252673

Well not yet, but tonight at the ceremony Shawn Carter (Jay Z), will be officially inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and will be the first rapper to have received this honor.

In celebration Tidal has put together a wide range of pieces, but in this post rather than write something myself in honor of this achievement, I'll let the man's peer's responding to this award speak for themselves (there are two videos on the linked page as well):

http://read.tidal.com/article/artists-on-jay-z-songwriting

”For the last 20 years, JAY Z has personified not only our Hip-Hop Culture, but the Definition of True Lyricism. He remains a prolific MC getting my respect both in the booth and the boardroom. When he receives these accolades, know they're just the firsts of many he's due."

—Rakim

”Archangel of hip. JAY Z's lyrics and music touch every emotion: rage, love, sadness, joy and tragedy. JAY Z started taking notes on his life early on, he reported what he saw and what he felt and he took us with him. Most of us first heard him when we heard ”Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" perfectly juxtaposing the beauty of childhood and the reality he lived in. He got us listening, and we've been listening ever since. A true artist that follows Miles Davis' definition of a true artist, ‘‘It's not about standing still and becoming safe. If anybody wants to keep creating they have to be about change.'"

—Bono

”Congratulations, JAY!!!!! Thank you for giving us the blueprint. You've shown us all how to go from rappers, to business men & women. You deserve nothing but the best. Style on ‘em."

—Nicki Minaj

”Hov changed many people's lives with his music, and I'm certainly one of them. When it comes to lyrics and flows, he's always been ahead of the times. Here's an inside scoop: not too long ago I told him one of my favorite lines of his is, ‘I was born a God, I made myself a king/Which means I downgraded to a human being/ You was born a Goddess, I made you my queen/Which means we upgraded to Louis the Thirteen.' The man has spit so many dope verses that, in my opinion, he's not impressed with his own material no matter how amazing it is. For me and millions around the world, that verse was genius. He's crazy for saying, ‘It's a'ight.' I can't think of anyone more worthy and deserving on this recognition than JAY Z. Respect and admiration, Playboy."

—Romeo Santos

—Chance the Rapper

”JAY Z's contribution to music as a writer is pivotal. You can hear his wit and hustle stylings in the backbones of some of the biggest and respected artists of today. But even more importantly, he has verbally taught new generations how to understand their personal worth and create opportunities for others around them."

—Andre 3000

”JAY Z has not only had a profound personal effect on the lives of millions from all walks of life for decades now with his songwriting, he has also set trends and influenced pop culture the world over from the onset of his career until present.

I am one of those whose lives have been touched by the magic of his poetry, which is uniquely his and pregnant with insight for the keen listener.

It's a beautiful thing for him to be recognized in this manner and inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame as the first ‘rapper' to do so. It's fitting, since he's been a ceiling crasher from the beginning.

I'm pleased to see that the Songwriters Hall of Fame is finally catching up to this aspect of our culture and placing my Brother where he rightfully belongs; alongside the Stevie Wonders and the Billy Joels of the world, who without, this sponge called life would be a tad bit drier."

—J A Y E L E C T R O N I C A

”To write a song that sticks in the mind and souls of human beings is a miracle itself. The fact that JAY Z does it with such organic spontaneous creativity is a testament to his intense watching AND listening of his surrounding WORLD. His execution is bionic but his fuel is his word design, wit, and humor. That's a popular songwriting quality that easily legitimizes him as the 1st RAP Hip-Hop songwriter in that Hall Of Fame."

—Chuck D

”In our view, JAY Z is one of the most prolific and hip-hop genre-transcending songwriters of all time. Similar to our free style flow of writing 50 years ago in the genre of Soul and R&B, his writing is very well thought out, speaks to the community, and matches the power of his great music production. We were honored to have him sample one of our MFSB-produced recordings ‘Something For Nothing.' As the Songwriters Hall of Fame Co-Chairmen, we are thrilled that he is being honored this week as the first hip-hop songwriter for the organization."

—Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff

”Put me anywhere on God's green Earth I triple my worth."

”In the process of writing a song it has to be something that you feel and then the people will feel it. Writing songs takes creativity, inspiration, imagination, and the ability channel your experience and the experience of others.

JAY Z has been a leader of the culture expressing many people's experiences but also takes us to where our dreams and imaginations can go. His lyrics are clever, charismatic and intelligent. He also brought wit and personality to his songwriting style. His music always provides a perspective of what one can accomplish coming from Marcy to influencing the World. When I think about his body of work some of my favorites are ‘Can't Knock the Hustle,' ‘Public Service Announcement,' and ‘Heart of the City.' He exemplifies an artist that can write in any time period and his lines have created philosophies for people's lives."

—Common

”Shawn Carter's pen has always been filled with the narrative of the forgotten. The hard knocked life of millions without a microphone may not always sound as pretty as the 1 percent may prefer, but the light shined and the people concurred that a man and his words can change the trajectory of a nation. Salute."

—Kirk Franklin

”Calling him a rapper puts him in a box. In referring to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and in reference to the Songwriters Hall of Fame would imply that there were others before him that were like him. Shawn Carter's a mystic, and he's a one of one...none before him and none to come."

—Pharrell Williams

”Unadulterated Genius. A ”blue chip," he truly transcends the genre with his contributions. He made it a thinking man's game. The Frank Sinatra of his time, JAY Z gave us the soundtrack of our lives."

—Rick Ross

”When I first arrived to Los Angeles from Colombia, I remember my friends listening to JAY Z was my first real introduction to hip-hop. Then I discovered his albums like The Blueprint and his MTV Unplugged special, and I was blown away by his writing and flow. His ability to tell a story and show me another side of hip-hop continues to inspire my music to this day."

—Juanes

”First and foremost, to me he's gotta be the best songwriter of all time. Because he writes those songs in his head. He doesn't have a rap folder like everybody else does. His rap folder is in his head. And he remembers all that shit! Think about how many albums, guest appearances, features, freestyles JAY has in total, and he remembers those rhymes word for word. If he's not the greatest, he's gotta be up there with the greatest.

Another reason why JAY's the best to me is that he took everything from the streets and put it on the beats and was extremely successful at it. The process of writing a song isn't easy. I think my greatest attribute as a songwriter is my ability to articulate true to life street stories that are unmatched. But the fact that JAY is the first rapper to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame means that this kid has struck a nerve worldwide with his words. He's written songs that have touched the world."

—Brad ”Scarface" Jordan

”JAY Z IS BEING INDUCTED INTO THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME? WHAT TOOK SO FUCKING LONG?"

—Jon Bon Jovi

”JAY is an icon in the culture. He has steadily pushed his career upward while being true to self and true to the nature of his business. He has assembled songs of quality that could make you think, party, and watch your step if you challenged him as an MC.

He helped hip-hop culture to move into every crack and crevice of pop culture and business without diluting who he is. The culture is allowed to walk into many boardrooms, as well as play its part in fashion and be allowed in millions of people's homes due to what he injected into it.

This honor simply means that within the world of music a level of fairness is finally being provided through the acknowledgment: rappers are and always have been songwriters."

—Posdnuos

”JAY Z paints in the now with words. His lyrics are urgently pristine and his innumerable flows are exquisitely tactile. Never overrated or duplicated; JAY Z is a true master of his craft."

—Miss Jill Scott

”JAY Z not only changed music by making rap pop culture but may very well be the most influential rap artist in music due to his indelible impact on our industry by changing the model of our business."

—Timbaland

”JAY's impact on urban youth culture around the world cannot be understated. Musically, my entire generation grew up on his art. And that's the powerful thing about great music and great songs – it transcends boundaries, and cultures, and race. It just transcends. Great songs have an ability to make you connect to the spirit in them. I was never a drug dealer trying to get by in Brooklyn; never sold drugs a day in my life. BUT I connected to the spirit and mentality of what he was saying. And it inspired me to go out and conquer my life. Didn't matter that I was a skinny kid from Africa, in college trying to get good grades. I was every bit the hustler that he vividly described in his music. I connected to it, and that's what great music does. ”

—Banky W.

In this thread post your favorite Jay Z songs/albums/lyrics, your thought's on his ability, and how his music has affected you over the course of your time listening to it.

Fevaweva

Jay Z is one of the greatest rappers of all time. It is indisputable. Fantastic flow, great lyrics and an ear for beats that is second to none.

But I don't enjoy listening to his music. His voice just doesn't do anything for me. *Shrug*

No Kanye quote?
Damn they've really fallen out. I wonder if Jay ever called him.
There's no-quotes from a lot of people including some that have called Jay the greatest of all time/are close to him, I'm not taking anyone's absence to mean anything.
What a fucking joke.

I'll just sit here and wait for that avatar quote.
Tupac fans disparaging Jay is the natural order of life.
The snare is scared of the air in here
"Follow the flow, look
They say a midget standin on the giant's shoulder can see much
Further than the giant.. (the giant..)
So I got the whole rap world on my shoulder they tryin to see
Further than I am... (than I am..)
And I have been tryin to be patient with they preoccupation
With David and Goliath.. (Goliath..)
But sooner or later, that patience gonna run it's course
And I'm forced to be a tyrant. (be a tyrant..)
But me and Tyran, comin through your environment
Iron mask, nigga iron gats, nigga I am back
With "The Team," no I in that
R.O.C., y'all not eyein that
Y'all don't see, clearly cause the rain ain't gone
"The Dynasty," no not Ming but Shawn's
Dame, Kareem, nigga it's the gangsta team
Stop your run, one of the reasons that they call us gangrene
The other reason, we got a gang of green
If there's better at gettin cheddar that remains to be seen, nigga...."

jbug617

Banned
Hov da gawd
giphy.gif

Top ten rap songs here

[Produced by DJ Premier]

[Hook: Snoop Dogg Sample]
"Dear God, I wonder can you save me"
"Illuminati want my mind, soul and my body"
"Secret society, tryna keep they eye on me"
"Illuminati want my mind, soul and my body"
"I can't die, I can't die, I can't die"

[Verse 1]
This shit is wicked on these mean streets
None of my friends speak, we're all tryna win
But then again, maybe it's for the best though
Cause when they're saying too much
You know they're trying to get you touched
Whoever said illegal was the easy way out, couldn't understand
The mechanics and the workings of the underworld, granted
Nine to five is how you survive, I ain't trying to survive
I'm tryna live it to the limit and love it a lot
Life ills poisoned my body
I used to say fuck mic skills
I never prayed to God, I prayed to Gotti
That's right it's wicked, that's life I live it
Ain't asking for forgiveness for my sins, ends
I break bread with the late heads
Picking their brains for angles on, all the evils that the game'll do
It gets dangerous, money and power is changing us
And now we're lethal, infected with D'evils

[Hook]

[Verse 2]
We used to fight for building blocks
Now we fight for blocks with buildings that make a killing
The closest of friends when we first started
But grew apart as the money grew and soon grew black-hearted
Thinking back when we first learned to use rubbers
He never learned so in turn I'm kidnapping his baby's mother
My hand around her collar, feeding her cheese
She said the taste of dollars was shitty so I fed her fifties
About his whereabouts I wasn't convinced
I kept feeding her money 'til her shit started to make sense
Who could ever foresee, we used to stay up all night
At slumber parties, now I'm tryna rock this bitch to sleep
All the years we were real close, now I see his fears
Through her tears know she's wishing we were still close
Don't cry, it is to be, in time
I'll take away your miseries and make it mine, D'evils

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
My flesh, no nigga could test, my soul is possessed
By D'evils in the form of diamonds and Lexuses
The Exorcist, got me doing sticks like "homie
You don't know me but the whole world owe me, strip!"
Was thought to be a pleasant guy all my fucking life
So now I'm down for whatever ain't nothing nice
Throughout my junior high years it was all friendly
But now this higher learning got the Remy in me
Liquor's invaded my kidneys
Got me ready to lick off, mama forgive me
I can't be held accountable, D'evils beating me down, boo
Got me running with guys making G's, telling lies that sound true
Come test me, I never cower
For the love of money, son, I'm giving lead showers
Stop screaming, you know the demon said it's best to die
And even if Jehovah witness, bet he'll never testify, D'evils

[Hook]

jbug617

Banned
Jay tweeting (this is very rare)
@S_C_: Thank you to all the people that have inspired me . Rakim KANE KRS chuck cube Jaz Em Andre Nas big PAC cole kendrick chance jayE ..wait,
@S_C_:Lauryn Nicki lite latifah common ye drake and meek . Run caz LL chainz cam tip (both of them) thought pharaoh , face . De la . Ice T. Wait
@S_C_ : G Rap .Mel . Kurupt . Lox. X . Q. Ab lupe. Mos. Foxy. Boss . Ross. Quavo Future Travis too many fuck this. All you!T grizzley song best out
@S_C_: Shit did I say redman ? Ghost and Rae . Wu tang I beat Genius in a rap battle I think ha . Busta (him too) Treach . Thug . B a rapper too!
@S_C_: Shit ...Wayne , Juve BG Nipsey . Kim . Slaughterhouse (yes mouse too ha) Folarin MC eiht . Short . 40 . Mac dre this shit hard .Never mind
@S_C_: Somebody find that reply I just hit please . I'm new on this . Anyway salute to anybody who made a song to feed their family or just vent .
@S_C_: Thank you, this way
@S_C_: Fuck ..50 cent big L sho ag nice and smooth Joe and pun . diggable butterfly esp...beanie young chris freeway SP okay for real this time .
@S_C_: Fuck haa. Naw for real .Pastor Jeezy my partner . Okay I'm done . I'm deleting this app in the morning . Shit is impossible to get right.
@S_C_:I promise I'm not drunk . Lord Pusha . Carti (Magnolia incredible)ASAP Sean P , Mobb , cudi . Tyler , earl, Snoop!!( almost played myself)

Reasonable doubt is better or as good as ya favorite rappers best album.

I fuck with American Gangster extra hard as well.

Random favorite quotes:
I administer pain
Next the minister's screaming ya name.

I know life's not fair
But chill baby girl my girrrlllls in here
Yea..I got models In the mosh pit
Dancin off beat but they know the words to my shit lol. (As a guy who has spent time in places with my girl and some chick I was fucking with I can relate to this verse so much lol)

I don't get all the hate for beach chair I fucks wit it .

I'm not afraid of dying
I'm afraid of not trying
Everyday
Hit every wave like I'm Hawaiian

What's my favorite verse today: ( it might be different tomorrow )

Inspired by Basquiat, my chariot's on fire
Everybody took shots, hit my body up, I'm tired
Build me up, break me down to build me up again
They like: "Hov, we need you back so we can kill your ass again"
Hov got flow though he's no Big and Pac, but he's close
How I'm 'posed to win, they got me fightin' ghosts
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Sh.., Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, see Malcolm
You see Biggie, see Pac, see success and its outcome
See Jesus, see Judas; see Caesar, see Brutus
See success is like suicide
Suicide, it's a suicide
If you succeed, prepare to be crucified
Media meddles, niggas sue you, you settle
Every step you take, they remind you you ghetto
So it's tough bein' Bobby Brown
To be Bobby then, you gotta be Bobby now
Now the question is, is to have had and lost
Better than not having at [all]

Goddamn that verse.

When them tops come down, chicks' tops come down
When them shots come out, make cops come around
When them blocks come out I can wake up a small town
Finish off the block then I make my mall rounds
Stares get exchanged then the fifth come out
The tough guy disappears, then the bitch come out
"That's him!" I'm usually what they whisper 'bout
Either what chick he with, or his chip amount
Cause I been doin' this since CHiPS was out
Watchin Erik Estrada, baggin up at the Ramada
Table full of powder, A.C. broke
'Bout to take another shower on my twenty-fifth hour
Spike Lees everywhere, game or the fight
You might see me anywhere, day in the life
Only thing changed the tail number on the flight
I can touch down and take off the same night
I'm so bossy, bitch get off me
Trick get off me, you can't get shit off me
I'm so flossy, no 6's on Sprees
Laid back, Maybachs, don't even talk to me

When them tops come down, chicks' tops come down
When them shots come out, make cops come around
When them blocks come out I can wake up a small town
Finish off the block then I make my mall rounds
Stares get exchanged then the fifth come out
The tough guy disappears, then the bitch come out
"That's him!" I'm usually what they whisper 'bout
Either what chick he with, or his chip amount
Cause I been doin' this since CHiPS was out
Watchin Erik Estrada, baggin up at the Ramada
Table full of powder, A.C. broke
'Bout to take another shower on my twenty-fifth hour
Spike Lees everywhere, game or the fight
You might see me anywhere, day in the life
Only thing changed the tail number on the flight
I can touch down and take off the same night
I'm so bossy, bitch get off me
Trick get off me, you can't get shit off me
I'm so flossy, no 6's on Sprees
Laid back, Maybachs, don't even talk to me
Ignorant Shit is incredible, this entire verse is so cinematic and the way he switched perspectives in it is so cool.

If only now a rapper is getting in then I don't think the Songwriter's Hall of Fame is anything to be excited about.

Disrespectful as hell, just like the Grammys are about rap. And about 25 fucking years too late. But I'll take it I guess.
Reasonable Doubt, Black Album and BP1 are what i came of age to.

so i guess that means biggie is getting inducted as well by default?

"Now you have the nerve to say you're better than BIG. Dick sucking lips, why don't you let the late great veteran rapper live?"

Hahahaha I say Nas. He literally earned it in the battle. Jay should literally say this actually belongs to Nas because he smoked me 15 years ago.

Top Bottom