• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz music has finally clicked with me

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My job can sometimes be stressful, but one of the benefits is that I can listen to music and it helps me focus. Early this week I got tense and instead of jumping to the genres I usually listen to, I decided to put on Kind of Blue.

Kind of Blue is an album I already listened to numerous times when I was in my early twenties, but it never really clicked and that's why I never explored jazz further. Now this monday I gave it another try and not only was it soothing, I also genuinely loved the music for the first time. It was an eye-opener. Kind of Blue has been the first thing I put on now every morning.

I decided to try out some more stuff. I looked for some classics online and besides KoB I've listened to:

- John Coltrane - A Love Supreme and Blue Train. The former seems like the biggest classic but I actually liked Blue Train a lot more on these early listens.
- Charlie Mingus - Ah um
- The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out. Also enjoyed this one. I've heard 'Take Five' so many times before and now I finally know the origins. Same for some tracks on Coltrane's Blue Train tbh.
- The Thelonious Monk Quartet - Monk's Dream. This one's weird, may take me more listens to get into. Is this one of those 'listen to the notes he's not playing' albums? :p

I get that these are all very starter pack jazz albums but hey I'm new and I have to start somewhere. That being said, my preference is definitely on the smoother/slower side of things. So far I loved KoB/Blue Train the most, so feel free to recommend me anything in that vein.

Not really in the Kind of Blue vein, but since you're already acquainted with Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is immense.

51hX5743L6L.jpg

mnannola

Chick Corea - Friends

mJj6UuL.jpg

Not sure what kind of Jazz category this album fits, but this album is one of my favorites. A ton of variety packed into one album. Everyone playing is at the very top of their game.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Jazz is so relaxing and the way it plays off each other always seems to help focus at the same time

A Love supreme should be played at Dawn for everyone at least once ..... Don't ask me why but it just feels so right when listening to it at that time.

RMI

Banned
Congrats OP!

Can I recommend a few?

Horace Silver - Song for my Father

Ben Webster - Soulville

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Portrait in Jazz, and Everybody Loves Bill Evans

Wes Montgomery - So Much Guitar!

Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossus

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else

you can't go wrong with any of these IMO. They are all really accessible.

Peltz

Jazz can be relaxing or crazier than heavy metal. It all depends on what you're looking for.

If you want great examples of chill jazz music, I'd check out:

R-8616976-1465226068-5612.jpeg.jpg

R-8985392-1473237133-9802.jpeg.jpg

61Hpsg6LJuL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

To start.

But don't shy away from the louder, crazier stuff too.

Raven117

Gold Member
Love it personally. Especially when its kinda crazy jazz and its live...You are kinda drunk (even better when you could smoke in bars)...sloshing around a dry martini...It was awesome really.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Jazz is a genre that's more than a century old. It's possible to like various sub genres within of jazz and still not have other sub genres click with you. I like 1920ies jazz, 1930ies swing music and 1970ies jazz rock. I can happily switch from the Boswell Sisters to Fletcher Henderson to Benny Goodman to the Mahavishnu Orchestra to Hiromi Uehara. But Miles Davis hasn't really clicked with me. I listed to a number of his albums but it hasn't really clicked so far. And that's OK. There's so much jazz around that I'm not going to sweat over not loving all of it.

BTW Are you familiar with Wes Montgomery?

You should check out Money Jungle. Duke Ellington, Mingus and Max Roach on one album. What could go wrong?

Also, if you want something a bit different but very addictive. Check out Fela Kuti's albums "Unknown Soldier" or "Beast of No Nation". Or anything by him really.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Also, if you want something a bit different but very addictive. Check out Fela Kuti's albums "Unknown Soldier" or "Beast of No Nation". Or anything by him really.

I remember Fela Kuti because iirc one of his tracks was in a GTA soundtrack and I liked it :p Both albums added to the list

Congrats OP!

Can I recommend a few?

Horace Silver - Song for my Father

Ben Webster - Soulville

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Portrait in Jazz, and Everybody Loves Bill Evans

Wes Montgomery - So Much Guitar!

Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossus

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else

you can't go wrong with any of these IMO. They are all really accessible.

Great suggestions, particularly Horace Silver and Bill Evans. Evans is my favorite. He's equally at home with jazz and classical and combines them in a fascinating way. The harmonies and voicing on Sunday At The Village Vanguard at times sound more like Ravel or Debussy. OP should put Nardis on that playlist right away.

If you like Kind Of Blue, then Sketches of Spain and Some Day My Prince Will Come are also must listens. If you want to get out there a little more, check out Heavy Weather by Weather Report. Finally, while we're on the topic of Wayne Shorter, he actually guests on the title track Aja by Steely Dan, which is pretty much all jazz. Definitely put that on your playlist.

Welcome to the club OP!

Peltz

this album is SO GOOD

Glad you dig it. Gilad Hekselman is in NYC playing intimate gigs nearly every week although he does tour the world. I'd definitely try to see him if you're ever in town. It'd probably only cost you $10-$15 or so.

He's originally from Israel - a place that has it's own unique and beautiful jazz scene.

J_Viper

This thread has come at the perfect time

I unfortunately had to drop out of an Intro to Jazz class I was taking this semester. I was only able to attend the first class, but I found it incredibly interesting.

I'll be checking out these recommendations for sure.

undu

Some albums that you might like:

'Round about Midnight, Miles Davis:

Moanin', Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers:

Portrait in Jazz, Bill Evans Trio:

It Might as Well Be Spring, Ike Quebec:

Takin' Off, Herbie Hancock:

The Sidewinder, Lee Morgan:

Empyrean Isles, Herbie Hancock:

Speak No Evil, Wayne Shorter:

Maiden Voyage, Herbie Hancock:

Addi

Jazz is amazing live, try to find a jazz bar or something. When the artists just jam, play in the mood of the moment and hit notes that are just "right" and you are like "oh yeah".

EDIT:
I'll throw in some recommendations, a bit more contemporary jazz than others posted here:

Arve Henriksen trumpetist, pretty ambient and dreamy
Nils Frahm piano and electronics, I love his stuff

I remember Fela Kuti because iirc one of his tracks was in a GTA soundtrack and I liked it :p Both albums added to the list

You know which GTA that was? I discovered him a few years ago but I can't recall him from GTA even though I played all of them before that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jazz is more of a spectrum. It is more far reaching than any genre to me, I believe. But when it clicks, hell, it digs deep and hits those emotions no genre can.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not really in the Kind of Blue vein, but since you're already acquainted with Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is immense.

51hX5743L6L.jpg
Great first reply. This is one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard. I cried the first time I listened to it.

Top Bottom