• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz music has finally clicked with me

hank_tree

Not really in the Kind of Blue vein, but since you're already acquainted with Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is immense.

51hX5743L6L.jpg

My man

If you want something with a more hiphop edge, listen to Madlib’s “Shades of Blue”. It’s one of the best hiphop producers of all time having the entire Blue Note archive at his fingertips to sample from.

JKM78613

Neo Member
Came in to recommend Elevator to the Gallows, but someone already did! “Generique” is my favorite tune off of that record.

Also a big fan of Keith Jarrett. His “Sun Bear Concerts” compilation is full of really beautiful solo piano improvisations. Dude has a massive body of work too, so plenty to sort through!

Happy listening!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Also if you want to try a newer group I had the pleasure of recently seeing at The Standard in Manhattan, check out Kendrick Scott Oracle.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I need to get into jazz but I only like a few Coltrane and monk songs. How do I like jazz more?

Paganmoon

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five is the only Jazz song that's ever really clicked for me. Most other Jazz songs I've heard have felt way to "random" (I get that's sort of the whole point of Jazz).

Fugu

Hey! Welcome to the club. I have a degree in jazz and I'm pretty obsessed with it. I will post in this thread later with some recommendations.

I have also recently gotten into jazz, and Kind of Blue was also the first album that I grabbed. I've always enjoyed when slow noir-ish jazZ showed up in media; the main theme of L.A. Noir is a legitimately good track.

Not really in the Kind of Blue vein, but since you're already acquainted with Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is immense.

51hX5743L6L.jpg
First post nails it. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is up there with A Love Supreme for me. Also recommend In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew from Miles Davis. Also highly recommend looking into Herbie Hancock, Return to Forever, and Weather Report for more fusion-y goodness.

SomTervo

I love it when you return to things years later that never clicked and suddenly it just happens

One of the biggest reasons not to be pushy about music or art on people. Wax lyrical about why you found it good, let them come to it years later

compo

Banned
I tried to get into jazz earlier in my life, and I would say it clicked with me, but then I suddenly became purist about more pop oriented music. Like I can only listen to music that has a steady beat, and doesn't have any solos in it anymore. I'm sure it's just a phase I'm going through, but it's strange. I don't know what happened to my musical taste.

Regardless, my favorite jazz album is Sketches of Spain. That version of Concierto de Aranjuez: Adagio is so damn good.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Check out the Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson from the album The Blues and the Abstract Truth.
And Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Colossus. Thats my fav jazz album

Fred-87

Jazz can be hard to get into because it requires a certain mindset to be able to enjoy. So if you want something what is still jazz but a bit more 'catchy'... try songs by mills brothers! Also listen to Django Reinhardt for a different kind of Jazz sound. If you wanna hear the greatest Jazz piano player of all time :) Listen to Oscar peterson.

Oh and if you wanna listen to a bit more lovey-dovey (i think that is the expression?) All bowly.. the first star of music. Also for a different sound try Leon Redbone who has a very unique one of a kind style.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Imo, Karma by Pharoah Sanders is the best jazz album I've every heard. Try it, now.

Listening to this was an unforgettable experience, the main track is like a 30 minute fever dream. Anyone who hasn't tried it, should check it out. Also listened to Horace Silver - Song for my Father, another album I really liked.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Listening to this was an unforgettable experience, the main track is like a 30 minute fever dream. Anyone who hasn't tried it, should check it out. Also listened to Horace Silver - Song for my Father, another album I really liked.

Yes! Both are great. Especialy Karma is amazing, The Creator has a Master Plan is out of this world

nitewulf

Jazz is essentially my thing.

Based on Blue Train and Kind of Blue, you must listen to, John Coltrane - Live at Birdland. It's also mastered by Rudy Van Gelder, who mastered both KoB and Blue Train, his masters have that spacious, airy sound that you like.

These are the other albums you should try:

Blue Note:
Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Art Blakey - Live at Birdland 1
Art Blakey - Moanin'**
Blue Mitchell - The Thing to Do***
Bud Powell - The Scene Changes***
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else***
Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair***
Dexter Gordon - Go!***
Dexter Gordon - Our man in Paris
Donald Byrd - Half Note vol 1**
Donald Byrd - Half Note vol 2**
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch***
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-tones**
Grant Green - Green Street***
Grant Green - Idle Moments***
Grant Green - Matador**
Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares (45rpm)
Hank Mobley - Workout***
Hank Mobley Soul Station ***
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage**
Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off***
Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away***
Horace Silver - Songs for my Father
Horace Silver - The Stylings of Silver***
Horace Silver - Tokyo Blues**
Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental***
Ike Quebec - It might as well be spring
Jackie Mclean - Action***
Jackie McLean - New Soil
Jackie McLean - Right Now!***
Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe
Joe Henderson - Page One***
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue***
Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights Vol 1**
Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights Vol 2**
Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop***
Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban (45 RPM)
Kenny Drew - Undercurrent***
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder***
Miles Davis vol 1
Miles Davis vol 2
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'**
Sonny Rollins vol 2
Staley Turrentine - The Spoiler**
Tina Brooks - True Blue***
Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer
Wayne Shorter - Speak no Evil***

Prestige (Mono):
Hank Mobley Mobley's 2nd Message**
Hank Mobley Mobley's Message*
Jackie Mclean - 4,5 & 6**
Jackie Mclean - Lights Out!***
John Coltrane Coltrane***
John Coltrane Lush Life***
John Coltrane Soultrane***
Miles Davis Bag's Groove**
Miles Davis Cookin'***
Miles Davis Relaxin'***
Miles Davis Steamin'***
Miles Davis Workin'***
Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus***
The Prestige All Stars All Night Long*
The Sonny Rollins Quartet Tenor Madness**

Columbia:
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain**
Miles Davis - Someday my prince will come***
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew***

Atlantic:
John Coltrane - Ole***
John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound***
John Coltrane - Coltrane plays the blues***

Impulse!:
Duke Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins**
John Coltrane - Ballads**
John Coltrane - Coltrane**
John Coltrane - Live at Birdland***
John Coltrane - Impressions
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth***

Riverside:
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby***
Bill Evans - New Jazz Conceptions
Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz***
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard***
Chet Baker - Chet***
Thelonius Monk - Misterioso**

PR_rambo

Banned
Started listening to Jazz at bedtime and its helped me to relax. I have anxiety attacks at night but the Jazz calms me down.

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Rien

Jelly Belly
Came home with

Sonny Rollins & Coleman Hawkins- Sonny meets Hawk!
Thelonious Monk- Misterioso
Herbie Hancock- Takin' Off

Not had the time to listen it yet

You like Coltrane, get the My Favorite Things album. Best version of that song.

I'm also very partial to Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage. Both are good music to calm the nerves while at work if that's your thing.

Top Bottom