• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi: Fallen Order won't let you dismember people with your lightsaber

Helios

Taken from https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...ds-on-damn-it-feels-good-to-be-a-jedi-e3-2019

Speaking of which, I was honestly disappointed that you can't dismember bad guys with your lightsaber. It turns out you can, sort of. "We'll use it in select cases," senior designer Justin Perez told me, before clarifying what he meant. Basically, droids and spiders and the like can have their legs and arms (if applicable) lopped off, but not humanoids. Blame the Disney branding folks for that one, it seems.
Thanks, Disney.

Kadayi

Banned
WTF? The first time we see a light sabre in action in the films someone loses an arm......... :messenger_dizzy:

hyLUNb5.jpg

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Its funny considering the team that was originally (one of many I suppose) going to make the Star Wars game had a game where you could shoot off limbs with precision. I just hope they made the right choice of developers for this. The game play of this game looks feels very linear, like the path he takes is pre-determined. Everything is just one giant race to where he needs to go. "There's this thing I need to knock down because its the only way to go" or "there's this convenient vine that I can swing from (the only vine is right in front of him and its the perfect size too)".

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How is this not logical seriously?
A franchise this big, that is tied to one of the biggest movie licences for all ages.
Not being a deadpool gore fest?

Come on guys xD
Yeah it sucks. But this is hardly a surprise.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no dismemberment allowed, we must sanitize death & genocide. all death in the new SW is glorious. every suicide is a noble one.

Barakov

Gold Member
Not surprised but that really sucks. What's the point of a lazer sword if you can't cut off limbs?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
What a joke. If there was a Star Wars game that let you cut dudes up like MGR, that would be awesome. I don't want these nerf bats.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Disappointing but IMO, not a deal breaker. I still do feel, there was a way to tackle the thing without completely removing it. Especially since it's going to feel weird to slice robots up but somehow a random mook is made out of indestructible material.

Jedi Outcast had a console command that allowed you to dismember foes, it was built right into the PC version and it was awesome.
I doubt you'll find that in a Disney game but I imagine someone will figure out a way to mod it in.

Romulus

Well, we got easy. We're upset about the nerfed lightsaber, but just think how much the other forum feels about all this. They are upset because the main character isn't a non-white alien struggling with her sexuality with a rainbow colored lightsaber that rides a unicorn with a dildo horn.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Is this a Disney thing? I can't recall that happening in the current films either, they just cause some quickly healed damage and moving scars.

DiscoJer

That was actually the point of the light saber in the original movies - that they were a more civilized weapon because instead of killing someone, you could just disarm them.

And since prosthetics were very advanced, it wasn't as big a deal.

Petrae

Disney continues to do its best to poison a once-decent science fiction franchise. George Lucas would be disappointed to see how Disney has neutered his creation, if he wasn’t busy swimming in Scrooge McDuck-style vaults of cash from the House of Mouse.

What's the point then? I understand it's a difficult situation since the dismemberment in the films is mostly done off-screen and they want to sell Star Wars to kids, but leaving it like this is just dumb.

Hinedorf

Banned
Let's be real, this is not about censorship of violence. It's about being given a hard release date and finding reasons/excuses to cut corners. It's much easier to say "because Disney" and sell the game than "because time/effort" is the reason shit is janky

SonGoku

What's the point then? I understand it's a difficult situation since the dismemberment in the films is mostly done off-screen and they want to sell Star Wars to kids, but leaving it like this is just dumb.
With the way they are handling the SW franchise it will prematurely fade into obscurity once again.

Doom85

I really don't give a shit. Yes, a few times it happened in the OT/PT (to humans, nothing impressive about showing droids getting chopped up, Samurai Jack did that shit on Cartoon Network a LOT) but that's different from seeing it happen to every single enemy you face in a SW video game. And if it was bloody that would feel very un-SW, and if there was no blood it would look stupid.

And no, the goddamn LEGO games don't count, because they're, you know, LEGOs. They flat out said you can chop up droids in the game, that's basically what LEGOs are. I mean, LEGOs don't bleed last time I checked.

I care more about gameplay quality, the story, and how interesting the locations will be. I'm also glad we're hopefully getting a SW game Jedi who's actually interesting and not boring and "edgy" (fucking Starkiller was the worst).

Top Bottom