• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This whole Jeff thing has been a weird issue and while it's far from my place to assume things, it feels like there was a falling out between the staff and Jeff was the outlier.

Jeff left/was fired shortly after Brad/Vinny/Alex left. Ever since Jeff left, the Nextlander and Giantbomb folks have guested in each others streams very frequently while Jeff has not been invited, or appeared, on either of those.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nextlander has 3 people and somehow manages to be really fucking boring.
This doesn't have to be Jeff vs everyone else. I personally enjoy listening to both Jeff and Nextlander but I've listened to them for years so I guess it's just more like chiming in with old friends than expecting to be entertained all the time. I don't find any of it boring at all though.......shit, maybe I'm boring.

SCB3

Somehow, every time I try to watch a Nextlander video, fucking Abby is in it and I close the video immediately. I just wanted to watch them play Scorn, but nope, not happening now.
For what it’s worth, she’s lot more tolerable on those streams than she was on GB east stuff

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This whole Jeff thing has been a weird issue and while it's far from my place to assume things, it feels like there was a falling out between the staff and Jeff was the outlier.

Jeff left/was fired shortly after Brad/Vinny/Alex left. Ever since Jeff left, the Nextlander and Giantbomb folks have guested in each others streams very frequently while Jeff has not been invited, or appeared, on either of those.

I wouldn't assume Jeff hasn't been invited, from what I've seen of Nextlander it's just a string of live Let's Play videos and he's probably not super interested in that when he's the sort of guy to talk to a camera for 3 hours straight about the industry.

I fully believe that Nextlander will get Jeff and Drew in eventually, it feels like an early days successor that needs time to grow first to not end up like Easy Allies has and too bloated

Jeff's never going to go to somebody else's show now. The whole reason he left was so that he would have control over the thing. Drew maybe but he seems quite happy doing what he does now.

It's only Giantbomb that I think will implode. It's complete unsustainable in 2022. Jeff was talking to Danny about this on a recent episode and how he thinks that basically Kinda Funny will be the only ones left standing in that format - while obviously ignoring Colin Moriarty because he's going to have a stick up his ass about him for one reason or another. Everything else will be Gamespot or smaller streamers / podcasts.

*take that bit back about Colin actually, he's in the smaller streamer team tier rather than KF / GB / EZA.

Last edited:

SCB3

I wouldn't assume Jeff hasn't been invited, from what I've seen of Nextlander it's just a string of live Let's Play videos and he's probably not super interested in that when he's the sort of guy to talk to a camera for 3 hours straight about the industry.

Jeff's never going to go to somebody else's show now. The whole reason he left was so that he would have control over the thing. Drew maybe but he seems quite happy doing what he does now.

It's only Giantbomb that I think will implode. It's complete unsustainable in 2022. Jeff was talking to Danny about this on a recent episode and how he thinks that basically Kinda Funny will be the only ones left standing in that format - while obviously ignoring Colin Moriarty because he's going to have a stick up his ass about him for one reason or another. Everything else will be Gamespot or smaller streamers / podcasts.
Give it time KF will implode just like the rest, I’m surprised they lasted after Colin left as well

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Give it time KF will implode just like the rest, I’m surprised they lasted after Colin left as well

I thought the same initially, but after seeing their new studio, seems like they've got things under control. You don't make that level of commitment to production unless you know you can sustain it, their team is massive now by the looks of things.

I don't watch KF but I bet it really helps seeing people actually together in a room again. Giantbomb's shows lost so much soul when they turned into Skype calls of people constantly cutting over each other. The conversation isn't organic.

AV

Abby is class!..unless i missed something.

People's main issue with Abby was that she played super casual games like The Sims and Nancy Drew which... honestly, doesn't really fit in the GB demographic. It's like they thought they'd attract a whole different audience by branching out that way. Didn't work at all. Those people will stick to their favourite Sims Youtubers.

On the flip side she at least tried to make some interesting content which is more than I can say for most of the rest of the staff.

SCB3

People's main issue with Abby was that she played super casual games like The Sims and Nancy Drew which... honestly, doesn't really fit in the GB demographic. It's like they thought they'd attract a whole different audience by branching out that way. Didn't work at all. Those people will stick to their favourite Sims Youtubers.

On the flip side she at least tried to make some interesting content which is more than I can say for most of the rest of the staff.
Abby wasn’t really brought in to be a personality at first but like Drew was a behind the scenes operator and tbh she did that well imo, the Sims thing she did was good but needed a bit more refinement but it was fun enough, the issue is as she got more confident she got very outspoken and tedious as she talked over everyone, the GotY stuff over Dream Daddy was the final straw and just made a mockery of the site I think

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Abby wasn’t really brought in to be a personality at first but like Drew was a behind the scenes operator and tbh she did that well imo, the Sims thing she did was good but needed a bit more refinement but it was fun enough, the issue is as she got more confident she got very outspoken and tedious as she talked over everyone, the GotY stuff over Dream Daddy was the final straw and just made a mockery of the site I think
In hindsight the GOTY was funny. I did stop listening to them after that year.

Dream Daddy pushed these types of games forward. It deserves game of the year...

Name one other game in the genre...

I don't normally play these types of games

top gear thumbs up GIF

AV

3 hours straight of "I think Cuphead should be higher" was a real slog, although I'll give it to her that she toned it WAY down the next year after obvious feedback.

Jess on the other hand only seemed to get worse at talking over people - or clearly looking like she was spending the whole time just waiting to talk rather than listening. Wasn't sticking around for that one.

SCB3

3 hours straight of "I think Cuphead should be higher" was a real slog, although I'll give it to her that she toned it WAY down the next year after obvious feedback.

Jess on the other hand only seemed to get worse at talking over people - or clearly looking like she was spending the whole time just waiting to talk rather than listening. Wasn't sticking around for that one.
I’ll be honest I stopped listening when Drew left and I’d not listened to GBEast for a while before that

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Not a fan
I think Ben and Jeff riff off each other really well tbh. Ben wasn’t bad at all.

One GOTY that really made me lose some respect was the one where TLOU2 didn’t make the top ten just because it came out during the pandemic and Alex just couldn’t handle it. I mean, come on. I felt like Alex filibustered that whole year over how sad the pandemic made him.

I have not watched anything that has come out of the old crew or Jeff. The video conference call format is lame. Not gonna support that.

I think Ben and Jeff riff off each other really well tbh. Ben wasn’t bad at all.

One GOTY that really made me lose some respect was the one where TLOU2 didn’t make the top ten just because it came out during the pandemic and Alex just couldn’t handle it. I mean, come on. I felt like Alex filibustered that whole year over how sad the pandemic made him.
Ben was literally the worst hire alongside abby. He is an insufferable, sanctimonious prick. Worst of all he thought he was funny but absolutely was not. He sucked the fun out of everything he touched and that was when i had to finally stop listening to the bombcast having followed from on the spot days.

I don’t follow any of them now. It’s sad but Ryan dying is what killed gb. It just took a few years for his absence to be truly felt. Dan and Austin were good hires but outside of that it was bad moves all round and the chemistry slowly died. Jeff is just bitter now. I love the guy but you can tell his heart hasn’t been in it for a while. I tried his new pod and it was him ranting about people not wearing masks post pandemic and I could tell he is broken now.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Ben was literally the worst hire alongside abby. He is an insufferable, sanctimonious prick. Worst of all he thought he was funny but absolutely was not. He sucked the fun out of everything he touched and that was when i had to finally stop listening to the bombcast having followed from on the spot days.
Ben can be sanctimonious as all younger people seem to be but he’s pretty funny, and the contrast between him and Jeff, who has ten years on me, is fun to listen to. Their after show was entertaining, and only those two together could make me interested in fighting games.

Ben and Abby differ in that I think Ben actually wants to have fun and has a kind of wit to him, while Abby could have fun if she’d lay off whatever her pet agenda of the week was. Though Ben mouth breathing into the mic on his final GOTY about made me turn it off

AV

Didn't find him funny but, I have to admit, from what I remember Ben probably played more hours of video games per week than anyone else on that staff.

I'm still convinced Jeff Bakalar plays like 4-5 hours per week, tops. Prefer him as a person to listen to but he adds absolutely nothing.

Grechy34

Used to be a KF fan but after they went ultra woke I left. The reason they will not implode is that Greg Miller who whilst trying to come across as ultra goofy at times is an absolute beast in that space. He never stands still, notice the KF progression and his own career progression. He is constantly pivoting, he gives people platforms, has what I think is the largest network in the industry.

When he came down to Australia I saw him interview live and he is a true professional in every respect. Knows the industry inside out and makes the right hires. Greg is a businessman first and foremost. He was well aware that Colin and him were not going to be aligned going forward which is why that decision was made.

bender

What time is it?
Still can't believe Greg found an audience. Him screaming into microphones on IGN podcasts was the final nail in the coffin for me paying attention to anything on their site. Woof.

jaysius

Banned
Still can't believe Greg found an audience. Him screaming into microphones on IGN podcasts was the final nail in the coffin for me paying attention to anything on their site. Woof.
Would you rather listen to Greg or that awful Austin shitbag from youtube?

bender

What time is it?
Awful Austin=Austin Evans.

Walker is actually pretty good.

No idea who Austin Evans is. Austin Walker was fine at GB but there are some rumors he covered up sexual misconduct with his gig prior to GB and then the GameJornoPros stuff with Alex and Patrick encouraging the blacklisting of HHG made me walk away form all of their content. I'm down to Yahtzee these days who smartly never greatly involved himself in social media so has never wavered to the latest trends. His tone has softened but that happens when you get older and have a wife and kids.

burst

Used to be a KF fan but after they went ultra woke I left. The reason they will not implode is that Greg Miller who whilst trying to come across as ultra goofy at times is an absolute beast in that space. He never stands still, notice the KF progression and his own career progression. He is constantly pivoting, he gives people platforms, has what I think is the largest network in the industry.

When he came down to Australia I saw him interview live and he is a true professional in every respect. Knows the industry inside out and makes the right hires. Greg is a businessman first and foremost. He was well aware that Colin and him were not going to be aligned going forward which is why that decision was made.
Greg knew that having a conservative who wanted to talk about politics on the show wasn’t great for business. Smart move. Businessman, indeed.

jaysius

Banned
No idea who Austin Evans is. Austin Walker was fine at GB but there are some rumors he covered up sexual misconduct with his gig prior to GB and then the GameJornoPros stuff with Alex and Patrick encouraging the blacklisting of HHG made me walk away form all of their content. I'm down to Yahtzee these days who smartly never greatly involved himself in social media so has never wavered to the latest trends. His tone has softened but that happens when you get older and have a wife and kids.

This guy, I was just wondering how much you hated Greg, this Austin is pretty awful.

Brute

The great irony of removing Jeff "because corporate didn't want to make any of his content anymore" is quite something. GB is so bad right now. VoidBurger can't shut the hell up and who honestly finds her interesting? Someone mentioned this on Era and they were shut down and accused of "hating women" when they also said that they loved Kish and Danika's contribution to Giant Bomb, they just didn't like VoidBurger. They were, of course, banned - because Era.

Brad, Vinny, Alex and Jeff all saw the writing on the wall and jumped (or in Jeff's case, got pushed). They replaced them with people who have either zero personality or are just not well versed in video game culture.

The site is running on fumes now and Fandom taking it on was it's death knell IMO. I really like Dan but he's ok in small doses.

It doesn't look, feel or sound like Giant Bomb now.

SJRB

Gold Member
The great irony of removing Jeff "because corporate didn't want to make any of his content anymore" is quite something. GB is so bad right now. VoidBurger can't shut the hell up and who honestly finds her interesting? Someone mentioned this on Era and they were shut down and accused of "hating women" when they also said that they loved Kish and Danika's contribution to Giant Bomb, they just didn't like VoidBurger. They were, of course, banned - because Era.

Brad, Vinny, Alex and Jeff all saw the writing on the wall and jumped (or in Jeff's case, got pushed). They replaced them with people who have either zero personality or are just not well versed in video game culture.

The site is running on fumes now and Fandom taking it on was it's death knell IMO. I really like Dan but he's ok in small doses.

It's both sad and awesome to see when they both stream at the same time and Jeff by himself just sitting in front of a camera rambling for three hours about the Atari or whatever pulls more viewers than the entire GB team.

I'm glad Jeff is doing okay, his podcast so far is a pretty big success and that's cool.

AV

It's both sad and awesome to see when they both stream at the same time and Jeff by himself just sitting in front of a camera rambling for three hours about the Atari or whatever pulls more viewers than the entire GB team.

I'm glad Jeff is doing okay, his podcast so far is a pretty big success and that's cool.

That's what I'm here for. Whatever you might think about his subjective tastes the guy knows more about this industry than 99% of the people on the planet. I only listen to podcasts when I'm cooking and cleaning so I'm happy to listen to him ramble on and on about the same shit for hours. If I was sat actively watching a stream it might be a different story.

Amory

I mean it’s not Giant Bomb now. It’s that old thought experiment where if you have a car, and over the years you replace every single component of the car, is it the same car?

The new team I’m sure is doing their best (I personally haven’t watched much of it), but GB was Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and Alex. You could change the side people around as long as you had the core, but without the core they may as well change the name of the site because it ain’t GB.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

I got banned from the GB Reddit group when I stated how bad Abby was ...when I said I liked other female podcasters like Mary Kish and Tina Amini.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean it’s not Giant Bomb now. It’s that old thought experiment where if you have a car, and over the years you replace every single component of the car, is it the same car?

The new team I’m sure is doing their best (I personally haven’t watched much of it), but GB was Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and Alex. You could change the side people around as long as you had the core, but without the core they may as well change the name of the site because it ain’t GB.
To add on to this, the point of GB was the personalities. I personally didn’t like it or them but it got big because people did. It wasn’t like IGN or ESPN or whatever where people went to it because of the brand. So replacing all those personalities in a personality-driven site is basically suicide.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I don't even remember the bushy haired things real name, but Scoops was his nickname because the little hack lucked into info and made a name for himself by finding paper that was supposed to be thrown out and he broke it as news.

He was almost overtly harassed by Davis every other episode, I'm not even sure why they put him there.

Patrick, that's his name. He's like nails on a chalkboard.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I don't even remember the bushy haired things real name, but Scoops was his nickname because the little hack lucked into info and made a name for himself by finding paper that was supposed to be thrown out and he broke it as news.

He was almost overtly harassed by Davis every other episode, I'm not even sure why they put him there.

Patrick, that's his name. He's like nails on a chalkboard.
Klepek. Yeah. He moved on to Waypoint. I gave up on that pretty early. Austin Walker was so far up his own ass I couldn't listen anymore. Patrick was bad too.

Top Bottom