• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub says Xbox Live Gold and paying to play online is going away soon

I'm also still skeptical, but with the way they bring PC and Xbox closer and closer, and now with the 12 month option just vanishing... there's a lot that points towards that outcome imo.

Well its either that or theyll just have us subscribe to xbox live gold, 1 or 3 months at a time.....and only on console..... I mean.....i suppose thats "possible"

Freeman

Banned
I'm also still skeptical, but with the way they bring PC and Xbox closer and closer, and now with the 12 month option just vanishing... there's a lot that points towards that outcome imo.
F2P is still behind a paywall, gamepass on PC doesn't even have the same games and you need to pay for gold to play the online part of gamepass games on Xbox (I think). That to me points to the opposite direction.

Why wouldn't they fix those things before getting rid of Live Gold entirely? Getting rid of Live Gold leaves an unbelievable amount of money on the table.

Last edited:

Banned
F2P is still behind a paywall and gamepass on PC doesn't even have the same games. That to me point to the opposite direction.

it doesn't have the same games, but many games are in both. and I'm mainly talking about Microsoft here. their games are all in both gamepasses and almost all of them have Crossplay and cross progression.
the only game with no crossplay currently is Halo MCC, it has full cross progression but crossplay will be implemented at a later date.

but even games like Final Fantasy XV, Streets of Rage 4 and Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid have full cross compatibility on Xbox and Windows Store, so even some third party games are involved here.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
it doesn't have the same games, but many games are in both. and I'm mainly talking about Microsoft here. their games are all in both gamepasses and almost all of them have Crossplay and cross progression.
the only game with no crossplay currently is Halo MCC, it has full cross progression but crossplay will be implemented at a later date.

but even games like Final Fantasy XV have full cross compatibility on Xbox and Windows Store, so even some third party games are involved here.
Not all, PC has no 360 games and is missing games like Halo 4 and 5.

Last edited:

Banned
Not all, PC has no 360 games and is missing games like Halo 4 and 5.

the reason for this is the echos of their past PC efforts, not of their current plans tho. as time goes on this cross compatibility will only grow larger and larger... I would honestly not be surprised to see them actually releasing backwards compatible 360 and og Xbox games on PC... their emulators must be pretty advanced by now and PCs are now powerful enough to easily handle this reliably.

Last edited:

FranXico

As long as they win it doesn't matter how much it cost, it's an honor thing, their reputation is on the line. It's about doing what's best for the gamers.

Tom-Cruise-crazy-laugh.gif

F2P is still behind a paywall, gamepass on PC doesn't even have the same games and you need to pay for gold to play the online part of gamepass games on Xbox (I think). That to me points to the opposite direction.

Why wouldn't they fix those things before getting rid of Live Gold entirely? Getting rid of Live Gold leaves an unbelievable amount of money on the table.

What you said makes absolutely no sense. Gamepass is a paywall? What? Gamepass is optional. That means you can sub and not have to buy those games, or not sub and have to buy them.

Fortnite is still FTP and doesnt cost a dime and neither does COD warzone. Not paying for gold means that the games you own now, plus the free to play stuff, will no longer require a subscription.

How is it that in 2020, i have to explain how free to play works. Jesus

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
What you said makes absolutely no sense. Gamepass is a paywall? What? Gamepass is optional. That means you can sub and not have to buy those games, or not sub and have to buy them.

Fortnite is still FTP and doesnt cost a dime and neither does COD warzone. Not paying for gold means that the games you own now, plus the free to play stuff, will no longer require a subscription.

How is it that in 2020, i have to explain how free to play works. Jesus
I'm talking about Xbox Live, at least pay attention. Xbox Live is a paywall, the original paywall.

the reason for this is the echos of their past PC efforts, not of their current plans tho. as time goes on this cross compatibility will only grow larger and larger... I would honestly not be surprised to see them actually releasing backwards compatible 360 and og Xbox games on PC... their emulators must be pretty advanced by now and PCs are now powerful enough to easily handle this reliably.
Their plans seem to change completely every 2 or 3 years, so again, I'll wait before giving them credit for anything. So far no good, put that 360 emulator on PC already.

Last edited:
I'm talking about Xbox Live, at least pay attention.

Their plans seem to change completely every 2 or 3 years, so again, I'll wait before giving them credit for anything. So far no good, put that 360 emulator on PC already.

You are clearly a sony fanboy. So lets stop wasting our time here.

All you need to know is that come launch, the only paywall you'll find on next gen is playstation plus.

Freeman

Banned
You are clearly a sony fanboy. So lets stop wasting our time here.

All you need to know is that come launch, the only paywall you'll find on next gen is playstation plus.
Do you have a source for that? Will you ask for a perma ban if you are wrong?

You are the one that seem like an Xbox fanboy to me taking my septicemic towards MS so personally. It's just a plastic box my dude, just because you picked the wrong one doesn't make you inferior, necessarily.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
He said this which turned out to be Double Fine for E3 2019

You are not providing any links backing up what you are saying.

Didn't i mentioned OT4 on ERA? Yes, i did. And of course, i've referred to Xbox thread because he is an Xbox insider. You can just google it and you'll find what he said int OT4. Anyway. Klob said a lot of things. Last part when he said that there's is a still a chance for no further additions, that probably means to cover his ass if acquisition don't happen.

DaGwaphics

Ok, I'll believe it when it happens and then I'll just wait for the day that their plan will reveal itself. You just don't give up a cash cow like live gold and invest so much in gamepass if you don't have a plan that gets you more than $15 a month.

Everything is always presented as a good things for the players but it rarely turns out that way.

Why do you think the goal is more than $10/mo. for GP or $15/mo. for GPU? Honest question.

Like most world domination plots, GP could fail or succeed. It looks like the target end-game is to gain the largest number of end-users possible across as many devices as can be supported.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Didn't i mentioned OT4 on ERA? Yes, i did. And of course, i've referred to Xbox thread because he is an Xbox insider. You can just google it and you'll find what he said int OT4. Anyway. Klob said a lot of things. Last part when he said that there's is a still a chance for no further additions, that probably means to cover his ass if acquisition don't happen.
I am not going to skim through a 400 page thread because you said something is there.

Freeman

Banned
Why do you think the goal is more than $10/mo. for GP or $15/mo. for GPU? Honest question.

Like most world domination plots, GP could fail or succeed. It looks like the target end-game is to gain the largest number of end-users possible across as many devices as can be supported.
Make everything GaaS forcing the competition to follow suit. That in turn will naturally crash the traditional market and turn it into a Smartphone like dump that relies on mtx and whales. That would solve the problem of MS of having low quality games.

That or they just really want that extra $5.

Last edited:
But for the price people paid for XBL services, aren't their services vastly superior and premium experienced compared to the anemic version of the same that is PSN?

Honestly, based on my experience I never really found XBOX Live vastly superior to PSN unless you are talking about features and a few exceptions. XBox Live was better, but I think PSN held it’s own considering it was free. Now I think they are much closer to each other despite what most people say.

Bernkastel

Make everything GaaS forcing the competition to follow suit. That in turn will naturally crash the traditional market and turn it into a Smartphone like dump that relies on mtx and whales. That would solve the problem of MS of having low quality games.

I take back what I said. From today onward you are not allowed to be free. sonomamashine sonomamashine was right.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Like i've said, google it, not search it through 400 pages. Isn't so hard to write "klobrille hinted a crytek acquisition, resetera" in search window. But, since you're lazy...

Maybe Klobrille can shed some light into the matter?
Not asking who, but maybe you can share with us in your opinion what’s the chances % they’ll announce more studios joining the XGS family at E3?
90% imho.

If they kept the negotiations going with the studios they talked to, they should have a few.

However, it’s totally fair to say that you can’t make such a statement in advance as definite. These are big corporations after all and there might be reasons we don’t have any insights on. It could very well be they stopped everything because Satya told the division to slow down a bit or something like that. Like remember that Square-Enix story and how MS was basically one signature away from acquiring them? That’s how this works in the business sometimes.

It can be tricky. And I refuse to make a definitive statement - as I basically can only go wrong then. I will say that from everything I know or think to know ... I’m optimistic. That’s fair I think. But yes, there totally is still a chance we see zero new XGS additions at E3.
How is that a crytek hint ? He said 90% they will acquire some studio.

Bernkastel

That's right. ...Truth is unfixed. It can be like a particle, or like a wave, and it can hold conflicting forms at the same time. You are free to believe that the cat in the box is alive or dead. ...But the truth is very delicate. It can change its appearance just by being observed. (...) ...It is impossible to negate any idea about the contents of a box that cannot be opened. This is what truth is.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
That's right. ...Truth is unfixed. It can be like a particle, or like a wave, and it can hold conflicting forms at the same time. You are free to believe that the cat in the box is alive or dead. ...But the truth is very delicate. It can change its appearance just by being observed. (...) ...It is impossible to negate any idea about the contents of a box that cannot be opened. This is what truth is.
Your limitations as an observer don't change the fact that regarding this Box the cat is dead and radioactive.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
If anyone is planning on playing on an Xbox for the next few years, I would highly suggest you get busy on stacking yearly Gold memberships and convert them all over to GamePass Ultimate. I bought 3 years worth of Gold (1 year), which took my Gold membership to July 2023. Then I accepted the 1$ GamePass Ultimate promotion and all of that Gold was converted to Ultimate, so now my Ultimate expires in July 2023.

This only works if you aren't yet subscribed to Ultimate. You have to frontload some money for the Gold memberships, but the value over the next 3 years is absolutely insane. With MSFT potentially removing Gold soon, I'd suggest acting fast if you want save major money on Ultimate.

HF2014

Its only 50$ a lot will say, but its still an extra 50$ per year you have to drop to play online. Got a few months during PS4, but mostly didnt play multiplayer because no ps+, and you know what, i think it might be one of the reason im leaving gaming little by little. I might miss playing online? Id they drop this fee to play online, hey, might get back one Call of Duty and give it a go. Might bring me back.

Rygeist

Banned
I'm talking about Xbox Live, at least pay attention. Xbox Live is a paywall, the original paywall.

Please just stop. You've already made yourself looking like an incompetent fanboy clown.

Freeman

Banned
Please just stop. You've already made yourself looking like an incompetent fanboy clown.
Is that so? So you misunderstand something completely, gets corrected and instead of just admitting it you think you are going to save face by calling me names? Pathetic.

Last edited:

Mmnow

So, just to be clear... Your theory is that Microsoft is completely altering the face of gaming, spending millions and convincing third parties to jump into bed on a scheme that sees people getting their games for next to nothing...

...so that they don't have to improve the quality of their games?

Microsoft would make an amazing Scooby Doo villain if you're right, but I'm not convinced you are.

Freeman

Banned
So, just to be clear... Your theory is that Microsoft is completely altering the face of gaming, spending millions and convincing third parties to jump into bed on a scheme that sees people getting their games for next to nothing...

...so that they don't have to improve the quality of their games?

Microsoft would make an amazing Scooby Doo villain if you're right, but I'm not convinced you are.
I was just proven right a few minutes ago by Halo being turned into a F2P game (that explain why it looked so poor).

Low quality and GaaS/F2P go hand in hand.

Time will tell who is right if you can't see it already.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
This is great news! Hope Sony follows.

FYI... Some of you hate MS so much, you manage to find a negative even in this... Guys stop! This is awesome. We don't want MS nor anyone out of the game, as long as these companies compete, we win.

sn0man

I've still got my Xbox360. If they allowed me to play online without charging me for it, I would jump right in to play some Blur, PGR4, Gears of War, FM4, Halo Reach, tons of titles honestly.

Going for that 2 billion user base again.

Honestly, it might work for them. Was a PC user that bought and loved (and paid gold) for the 360 generation. Went PS4 and have enjoyed it. I personally would check out more MS stuff if they brought all their titles to PC and didn't paywall playing online.

Fox Mulder

MS would be throwing away easy money and it’s not like it would even make a huge dent in the PS5. The 360 did well when PSN was free on ps3.

I imagine most people see the price of paying for online as irrelevant. I’m buying the ps5 for the exclusives.

Top Bottom