• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: EA Making Black Panther Game (Open World, AAA)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He's talking about it on his "Morning Mess" show.

Copying some details about what he said on it from Era.

* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Copying some details about what he said on it from Era.

* Single player game
* Very early development
* "Big, open world Black Panther game"
* The in-universe Black Panther is dead, so player is tasked with becoming the new Black Panther
* Comes from Seattle studio headed by ex-Monolith head
* Produced by EA, kicked off by the success of Fallen Order

killatopak

Gold Member
Open world ehh...

It's not what I had in mind. I wanted a character action game. I guess it's unrealistic to expect them to have that when open world sells.

Open world means a need for a good way to traverse though. Is this city setting, jungle, open plains or what?

Lognor

Banned
This could very well be cancelled if it's so early in development
I wouldn't be surprised. Other than Spiderman, the Marvel games have not been lighting the world on fire. Seems like there is a lot of fatigue with Marvel too. Movies aren't doing so well anymore either.

And while I liked the Black Panther movie, the character is kind of boring. Not sure it would be so fun to play a Black Panther game.

MiguelItUp

An open-world Black Panther game doesn't necessarily sound the most fitting for the hero, I mean, he's acrobatic and fast. But there's nothing that BP does that would make the interactions with the world or enemies stand out. You could try to create new mechanics, sure, but for everything BP is, it's stuff we've all done before one way or another in an open-world setting..

Draugoth

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised. Other than Spiderman, the Marvel games have not been lighting the world on fire. Seems like there is a lot of fatigue with Marvel too. Movies aren't doing so well anymore either.

And while I liked the Black Panther movie, the character is kind of boring. Not sure it would be so fun to play a Black Panther game.

We might as well not see this game until PS6

Sounds like a lot of fun and an open world would be a great playground for him to mess around in not to mention all the tech they could come up with as well.

I'm more surprised that people are disappointed they aren't playing T'challa when the actor is dead. That would just be weird imo. Having a memorial for him in game similar to the movie makes a lot more sense before handing off to a proper successor.

Calverz

ron swanson computer GIF

The thing with all these Marvel game properties is that they are not connected in any way to one another. We need an MCU style universe with cross-over events like the cinematic universe, otherwise it feels like we are completing a story that is just one small part of a much larger whole.

John Wick

Marvel movies aren't doing well anymore? What crack you smoking? The world has barely just got over covid now with the cost of living crisis being a big factor yet Dr Strange did nearly a $billion and Thor is $600 million already.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

If true, I really have no trust in EA but let's see, I love so much Black Panther and I wish the, too soon gone MCU marvelous actor (R.I.P.), will be used as model (but I can dream...).
That's one of the problem with Marvel games, we were used to MCU faces for more than a decade and we got only some terrible ersatz characters (I look at you Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy... etc)
Black Panther Marvel GIF

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
EA, Black Panther, single playe rin the same sentence? Yeah no thanks. This game will be made by old white men who think they know about black people.
You mean like the comic character Black Panther created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee
They could make a standalone Thor game or something to jump on the viking bandwagon, but instead they opt for woke points.
How is making a Black Panther game opting for woke points?
The fact that he is black means its woke?
Is every black character woke?
Do black people NOT exist in real life?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
BP game set in Wakanda. Totes there. Developed by EA. Fucking why?

You mean like the comic character Black Panther created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee

Come on now. The modern Black Panther, both in the MCU and in the comics is all up to Black creators (Ryan Coogler and Christopher Priest respectively). Definitely wouldn't be one without two Jewish creators, but their version (and motivation) for creating Black Panther is not something I would use as a bellwether.

mckmas8808

Banned

The bolded is 100% FALSE!!! How can you say this right after literally Marvel set SDCC on fire this past week?

kiphalfton

EA, Black Panther, single playe rin the same sentence? Yeah no thanks. This game will be made by old white men who think they know about black people.

I'd take a game made by old white men than pretty much anybody. "Old" indicates they've been in the industry before it went to shit this past decade.

They could make a standalone Thor game or something to jump on the viking bandwagon, but instead they opt for woke points.

It's Disney. It's all woke.

Marvel movies aren't doing well anymore? What crack you smoking? The world has barely just got over covid now with the cost of living crisis being a big factor yet Dr Strange did nearly a $billion and Thor is $600 million already.

Very likely speaking in regards to critically. Thor was garbage and Doctor Strange was alright. Same with Spider-Man; could have been a lot better, but they made a mockery of the Maguire and Garfield villains.

Last edited:

PJX

You do realise they worked with a black guy when they created the Black Panther character to get his input on how to create one. Stan Lee himself said so in an interview. Also did you know Black Panther was not really a popular Marvel character back in the days because he wasn't your stereotypical black character. Actually Black Panther didn't become popular until his appearance in the Cival War movie.

BP game set in Wakanda. Totes there. Developed by EA. Fucking why?

Come on now. The modern Black Panther, both in the MCU and in the comics is all up to Black creators (Ryan Coogler and Christopher Priest respectively). Definitely wouldn't be one without two Jewish creators, but their version (and motivation) for creating Black Panther is not something I would use as a bellwether.

And even then like I said, they sought the input of a black artist at the time.

Last edited:

Fbh

The character and setting could make for a cool game.
As long as it's good and not another bland Ubisoft style open world.

Last edited:

The character was created by an old white man. You think Wakanda exists somewhere in Africa?
Hopefully the game is good...

Last edited:

I feel like this isn't gonna make the most compelling of stories... and maybe not something anyone asked for. Swap out Black Panther for Batman, Spiderman, or Wolverine and you see how ridiculous this sentence becomes.

Top Bottom