• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb Joins Giant Bomb!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why do people hate this guy?

What's the scoop?

Help me I need an adult

For me it's just that he's super woke gaming media. According to him all conservatives are racist, David Jaffe and Ken Levine are lul, Gina Corano compared herself to holocaust victims etc...

He's definitely one of those "Antifa can't be bad. Their name means anti fascist" type of guys. But he gets scoops so his name stays in the news.

teezzy

Banned

meh the x files GIF

McHuj

When I started to listen to GB a decade ago, it was the irreverent humor that made them so fun to listen to. Unfortunately I don’t think that kind of vibe and humor can be replicated in today’s environment (at least by well known personalities). Oh well

killatopak

Gold Member
I seriously don't understand the appeal of following any gaming "personalities", especially these days. What's the point?

My interest died with the IGN crew back during the Wii days.

As far as YouTube goes I have a mild interest in perhaps 2 Youtubers, with only one of them being one I seek out and that's simply because they post news. Wouldn't lose any sleep if they disappeared overnight or whatever either.

Never given a shit about anyone who writes for any gaming websites either.

The cult of personality when it comes to the likes of Venture Beat, Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, and whatever stupidly named site or channel is beyond me.

Seriously, what's the appeal?
Similar to how one sticks to a certain person when looking for reviews.

Your and their views simply align with each other in gaming taste and you like to hear how he/she expresses that. Some people can articulate the nuances of the game better than yourself.

Other than that, news, leaks, reactions and just general gaming discussions to spend time with in between tasks. Podcasts are very low effort since you can just listen while doing work or even playing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
And I thought threads about random devs getting new jobs were a waste of space. Who the fuck is this? No wait, I take that question back, because NO ONE CARES.

teezzy

Banned
When I started to listen to GB a decade ago, it was the irreverent humor that made them so fun to listen to. Unfortunately I don’t think that kind of vibe and humor can be replicated in today’s environment (at least by well known personalities). Oh well

Yup, you nailed it. They lost a lot of their hip outsider status when Ryan passed, and once again with the CBS buyout. The punk, DIY attitude was key. That's how Dan Ryckert provided so much fresh energy to the bunch when he joined and set them back on track prior. Irreverent is the perfect way to describe it.

Now the OG crew has fled, theres been another buyout, and an older Jeff is left practically alone throwing everything he can at a sinking ship to try and keep it afloat.

It's not the Giant Bomb I fell in love with, rooting on my old favorites from the GameSpot video review days. Jeff's going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass here: it's like watching your favorite old sitcom but only one original cast member remains and the others have their own spinoff shows.

Last edited:
Can someone who watches gaming podcasts explain the appeal to me? I usually try not to be a boomer and understand why people like stuff, but gaming podcasts... I really don't know.

Spacefish

This sounds like Jeff acknowledging the site had grown stale and changes need to be made. For the first time in a while, I'm actually optimistic about GB.

trading brad for danny and jeff isn't too bad actually. main GBpodcast is actually listenable for the first time in years.

Last edited:

reksveks

Can someone who watches gaming podcasts explain the appeal to me? I usually try not to be a boomer and understand why people like stuff, but gaming podcasts... I really don't know.
It's background audio largely to me and its not massively about the gaming content (apart from the weird historical tidbits and facts that I didn't know). I pick up most of the recent news stuff in other ways.

I just really enjoy podcasts where you have fun chemistry between the hosts. My number one gaming* podcast is Play Watch Listen and then non-Gaming is currently Pivot.

Last edited:

Naru

No idea who the fuck that is but then I never cared about anyone besides the Giant Bomb core group of Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Alex and Ryan.

Spacefish

He is so fake a person. Yeah, sweeping this shit under the carpet, fuck off.
If you want to cancel people for stupid shit they said over a decade ago then stay on twitter. People are allowed to make edgy jokes and they are allowed to change, I don't agree with Danny's politics now but he's free to say dumb shit on his personal profile as long as he keeps it separate from his work.

reksveks

If you want to cancel people for stupid shit they said over a decade ago then stay on twitter. People are allowed to make edgy jokes and they are allowed to change, I don't agree with Danny's politics now but he's free to say dumb shit on his personal profile as long as he keeps it separate from his work.
Had this issue with the initial reaction to Erin in the Office, and then apparently her apology which I need to check out was quite good.

I do believe that people can change and can make mistakes.

tried watching nextlander and its obvious its just 3 dudes in their 40s that are utterly neutered and dont even like games anymore, it was devoid of charm, "aaahmmm... ehmmm yes" "what did yoooooou do today alllleex?" felt like 3 akward guys that was forced to socialize, also Alex seems like such a negative person that always comes with little small "attacks" that are ment to be funny on the other two. Vinny was trying to carry the whole thing, the problem is that he has no passion for it and it shows, that applies to all 3 them. i cant belive anyone would shell out stupid ammounts of money for it

I am willing to bet that Giantbomb will be much better with dan, danny, jeff and the new staff, sure it wont go back to what it was, nothing will as they are self censoring their humor now. But Giantbomb will prevail and nextlander will crumble to dust since they are lazy shits that will do anything not to put in honest work, people will see it eventually. (as i bet is the main reason they quit, they would actually have to make and effort once the new managment came in)

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I dont believe he has changed. He sounds fake and overcompensating. I dont care about cancelling people for age old tweets but people need to stop being virtuous when they go after others for shit they also said before. They is a difference between condemning stupid shit said and virtue signaling. Danny is virtue signaling.

Last edited:

Osaka_Boss

Why is there so much need to follow the news through these kind of people if you have news easily available on big websites and boards since gamefaqs beginnings? I don't get it. Why are they so important to have a thread only to report on them.

Spacefish

I dont believe he has changed. He sounds fake and overcompensating. I dont care about cancelling people for age old tweets but people need to stop being virtuous when they go after others for shit they also said before. They is a difference between condemning stupid shit said and virtue signaling. Danny is virtue signaling.
you would be a lot happier and less triggered if you stopped paying attention to twitter drama and stopped giving a shit about the personal politics of strangers. You don't like virtue signalling? neither do I but there isn't a single game "journalist" left who doesn't engage with it, its all hypocritical and performative. In his job he doesn't go on long moralistic rants about shit he doesn't understand, he's one of the few game journalists with actual talent, that's enough.

Harlock

GiantBomb site layout had become worse in every redesign. Feels confuse and shallow like the own content.
The youtube channel is dead took. The video about the future of GB has less than 20k views.
They never were able to move past Ryan Davis death and at same time never got Youtube right.
The woke stuff only make everything go down faster.

Papacheeks

Banned
He is so fake a person. Yeah, sweeping this shit under the carpet, fuck off.
AIfSbMy.jpg

Didn't know about this, but honestly look at when this was and how old he was, he was still kind of a immature kid. I've heard drunk people say just as bad shit and they were grown men. Sounds like he was just a immature, unintelligent little shit trying to be edgy 10+ years ago. This is no different then digging up old tweets from James Gunn.

You should not forgive him and have a right not to support him. Doesn't mean im not going to listen to giantbomb because he's on the show.

Sounds like he was just a insensitive idiot when he was first on twitter. There's alot of that where you get socially awkward people on apps back when social media was really new.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Didn't know about this, but honestly look at when this was and how old he was, he was still kind of a immature kid. I've heard drunk people say just as bad shit and they were grown men. Sounds like he was just a immature, unintelligent little shit trying to be edgy 10+ years ago. This is no different then digging up old tweets from James Gunn.

You should not forgive him and have a right not to support him. Doesn't mean im not going to listen to giantbomb because he's on the show.

Sounds like he was just a insensitive idiot when he was first on twitter. There's alot of that where you get socially awkward people on apps back when social media was really new.
I dont care about the tweets from years ago, people do change. I just don't believe Danny changed. He sounds disingenuous at best that I think he still has the same mindset but overcompensating for it.

I've stopped listening to Giant Bomb for a while so this roster change wasn't bringing me back.

McHuj

I think the point is also that he doesn't have the same leniency that he wants and got for himself. I don't believe anyone is irredeemable and all should be allowed to mature and grow without having their lives destroyed.

There's this cliche in movies (like the worst movie ever, American Beauty) where the "straightest" most homophobic character is really gay and he's suppressed it. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the biggest woke voices out there were the biggest racists deep down (suffering from a good dose of white savior complex as well)

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

The funny thing is, this same dude would cancel anyone else for these tweets.

reksveks

I think the point is also that he doesn't have the same leniency that he wants and got for himself. I don't believe anyone is irredeemable and all should be allowed to mature and grow without having their lives destroyed.
The problem is that some (I hesitate to say most cause its all anecdotal) people whom have faced consequences for the stupid tweets/comments that they have put out, typically don't apologise and look to grow but double down. If they do, some on the left don't believe it's a real apology and sign of growth and some on the right use stupid terms like Woke.

I think we should try and get back to the original topic cause we are slowly going down the political route here.

Whom else would you like to do a mini series on GiantBomb?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I am moving on to NextLander. I prefer Vinny and so that is where I will get my gaming news/discussion.

If y’all don’t want woke you’re out of luck when it comes to video games media. Last Stand Media is true to its name in that it’s pretty much the last unwoke games media content.

buenoblue

I don't think it's necesarily woke. People do and say edgey stuff just for attention when younger. Then people grow up and have family's and there views change. I myself have completely different views at 45 than I did a 25.

McCheese

That's one way to save money I guess.

I honestly thought they were just downsizing or winding down the podcast entirely, so not sure what to make of them hiring replacements.

sn0man

That's one way to save money I guess.

I honestly thought they were just downsizing or winding down the podcast entirely, so not sure what to make of them hiring replacements.
I’m just spitballing but I kind of wonder if Gerstman wanted to try new stuff involving in person things and Vinny/Alex wanted to stay out East. I think Brad just went with 2 of his friends.

sn0man

Kinda wish Dan went with the Nextlander crew. I listened to that Episode 0, and I kinda feel like Jeff Gerstmann just decided to burn all bridges, he either has a comfy salary, and doesn't care anymore, and just wants to ride it out for a couple more years, or he's down scaling so much he can close up shop in a year after failing all Red Venture KPI-s , and move somewhere else.
I seriously hope not in regards to Gerstman. I think he’d do stuff with those 3 forever if he could but their old with their own lives and aren’t interested in hanging out at a television studio all weekend being irreverent young adults.

GB feels like they’re ready to start a post pandemic chapter and search for new in person formats. I’m terribly sad no more Vinny/Brad but it’s clear Vinny isn’t coming to California and Brad wanted to stay with Vinny/Alex. I could see some crossover with the shows if GB works.

listening to Gerstman it sounds like they might get to do more now and not less.
trading brad for danny and jeff isn't too bad actually. main GBpodcast is actually listenable for the first time in years.
I’m sort of split in that sense. I thought the issue was Jeff fed off the others in the room and he needs positive / irreverent folks so he can be negative jaded edgy in a fun way. Brad got jaded too so it was two of them and that got stale. The new hosts all seem more positive and Jeff feeds into that in a more positive way.

But peak Jeff/Brad still shone through some. They also have a shit-ton of knowledge in the industry so we shall see.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I seriously don't understand the appeal of following any gaming "personalities", especially these days. What's the point?

As far as YouTube goes I have a mild interest in perhaps 2 Youtubers, with only one of them being one I seek out and that's simply because they post news. Wouldn't lose any sleep if they disappeared overnight or whatever either.

The cult of personality when it comes to the likes of Venture Beat, Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, and whatever stupidly named site or channel is beyond me.

It was fun when politics weren't involved and people just bantered. Nice background noise if you're level grinding or playing something casual.

But yea, I agree, these days it's hard to find an outlet that just focuses on gaming and doesn't insert partisan type garbage.

HappyConsoleGamer is good but his videos are usually short and only 1-2 a week.

Spawn Wave is good too, I don't watch their hours long discussions but the main guy is good with posting news clips on a mostly daily basis.

Javthusiast

Banned

What's the appeal in following anybody then? Actors, musicians, artists?

People fucking like their personalities/content they put out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom