• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: NetherRealm Skipping Injustice 3, Making Mortal Kombat 12 Instead

ManaByte

Gold Member

A new Mortal Kombat video game could be in development according to a report from Giant Bomb's Jeff Grubb. The gaming pundit sparked a rumor wildfire with his "GrubbSnax" webcast, claiming NetherRealm Studios will bypass a sequel to the last Injustice in favor of staying closer to home. Read on for full details:

Grubb couched the claims in heavy supposition, speculating that on-going instability within WarnerMedia Discovery is a driving factor for NetherRealm Studios to begin development on a twelfth installment of the Mortal Kombat series. He notes, "I wouldn't say this is like... for sure, but it lines up with the reality, and it lines up with what I've heard."

The crux of Grubb's argument revolves around the potential sale of the video game developer, and the safety of avoiding entangling their current development slate with unaffiliated licenses, such as the DC Comics characters of the Injustice franchise. His comments can be heard in the embedded video below, with more details to follow.​

Inviusx

Really? I feel like they ended MK11 in a way that allowed themselves a break for awhile.

I'm not unhappy if this is a true because MK is superior to Injustice anyway but the MK 11 ending definitely had a "see you in 5 years" kinda vibe.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not complaining if this decision is factual. I rather have MK12 honestly. I know this probably sounds crazy, but I’m getting kind of Marveled-out now.

Last edited:

Vaelka

I am so tired of superheroes.
For NRS games tho I really want them to just drop the constant retcon and stick to something, it's hard to take their stories seriously when they don't actually matter in the long run at all.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ve been playing the shit out of both these games lately (plus a healthy amount of KI) and TBH it doesn’t matter to me which one comes out first.

I would like to see MK12 be like 11 but with the Smash everybody’s here approach.

MAtgS

I’ve been playing the shit out of both these games lately (plus a healthy amount of KI) and TBH it doesn’t matter to me which one comes out first.

I would like to see MK12 be like 11 but with the Smash everybody’s here approach.
Armageddon did that. To do it again would be over 80 guys which just ain't happening.

Kagey K

Banned
Armageddon did that. To do it again would be over 80 guys which just ain't happening.
Yeah I was picturing something hugely ambitious, like a retelling of the entire thing from 1 to 9 in the new engine.

It would be interesting to see them try to do something with 3D fighting again like in 4 (which I hated at the time but have grown to like) but I don’t think I’d want a whole game of it.

reksveks

BTW the context was someone asking him what NRS was working on and Jeff Grubb postulated that it would be MK instead of Injustice cause of the reason bought up in this thread. Their situation is not exactly stable.

He seems to be basing this on thinking NRS owns the Mortal Kombat IP but they do not, there is no safe IP for NRS to work on because they are a part of WB Games, anything they make will be owned by WB.

reksveks

He seems to be basing this on thinking NRS owns the Mortal Kombat IP but they do not, there is no safe IP for NRS to work on because they are a part of WB Games, anything they make will be owned by WB.
Still not 100% sure what discovery bought and what At&t kept

MAtgS

I am probably the only one here then that hopes Injustice is next actually.
Nah, me too. Although I really love to see Netherrealms do something different. A horror all stars game, a TMNT fighter, a console version of WWE Immortals, that Marvel game, just do something new.

nbkicker

After covering the female charachters up in the game and using the poor excuse that they wouldnt be wearing that type of clothing when fighting, never bought mk 11 and wont be anytime in the future

Zeroing

Banned
Either he has tons of friends on the gaming industry who are stupid enough to give him information, or he is a oracle - knows the future

I’ll go for the 3rd option
He just guesses. Not the first time he got things completely wrong

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Family Guy Cockroach GIF

MiguelItUp

If true, that's fine with me. I respect the Injustice series, but it never did anything for me personally.

Man, I wish MK would return to the vibe and feel of 9. I adored that game so much. Growing up with MK, I'll always love it, sure. But I definitely think my love for the series peaked at 9, and then immediately plummeted with X and 11. I still gave them a shot, hell I grinded 11 just to get that Reptile Scorpion costume. But in the end, out of the entire MK series, I think 9 was actually the one I played the most.

While 11, to me, felt like a step up from X I still didn't love either of them a whole lot. So, I'm just gonna hope that the next MK iteration is even better across the board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom