• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grubb - VentureBeat] PlayStation boss Jim Ryan needs to create a better narrative

Bramble

Sony aren't doomed and anyone saying otherwise is being silly, but come on this has really shown up the PS PR machine, don't you agree? After Jason's article hit, Sony should have released a short statement clarifying the situation, that would have stopped this in its tracks.

No they really don't. If you're kid starts screaming for candy, you don't give it to him. You ignore him. If you do, you teach him he needs to scream in order to get candy. Not responding to slander and fake outrage is the way to go and the most professional thing to do. Sony doesn't need dudes like Aaron Greenburger participating in Twitter console wars. They're better than that en they should be. They have a set path for releasing information and don't deviate from that. It's fine.

Yes exactly this is all PR and console warring not tangible issues.
So what exactly would we be feeling in 6 months to come back to this thread and analyse it?

Would Sony have abandoned game development in 6 months? Would PS5 sales have tanked? I would like to know where Sony is apparently shooting itself in the foot outside of the banter and crap that is happening in forums or videos by select 'influencers' right now to jump on the bandwagon of hits.

Look I get PR is important and some things can suck but this dumb disproportionate fear mongering is stupid.
You're quite right it won't affect sales, what's more worrying long term is Sony's AAA strategy and massive sales or your out attitude. I don't think that's a sustainable business model, but whether that's the case or not time will tell.

Bramble

Sony Defence Force

Sexy Amazon GIF by Prime Video DE

Xbox fan in a PS focussed thread bitching on Sony fans while the brand he caps for hasn't done relevant shit for years if it comes down to publishing exclusive system selling content and new AAA IP's. Man I would've left PS behind a long time ago if they provided no relevant content for such a long time. Yet here you are.

sncvsrtoip

At says in-engine footage captured on the PS5 hardware.

CGI is a completely different thing. Miles Morales also wasn't CGI.
yeah in engine footage but you can see how big difference it makes on miles morales example edit: I checked again there is no info its in-engine footage but even if you clearly see difference on Miles Morales real gameplay and this trailer, you can see on both videos "Not Actual Gameplay'

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This is a poor article really, very much reminds me of Schreier style. I have nothing against Jeff and think his sources/leaks are entertaining and accurate for the most part but I think he is just writing to the drama here and fishing for engagement.

..With that kind of skin in the game, many consumers are justifiably concerned about getting their money’s worth.

Who? Where? You can't just conjure up an army of disgruntled fans or players and leave it at that. The two biggest subreddits are /r/PlayStation and r/PS5 - they aren't on there Jeff. 'Many' has become synonymous with 'a few tweets/posts on social media' which are mostly disingenuous or deliberately exagerrated for effect. If you base your article/editorial on statements like this you have to evidence them. Like everything, what's happening is being bent to push the article. It's been written from back to front like most stuff in gaming journalism these days with the weakest of unevidenced links/statements.

...that creates a lot of extra space for folks to speculate and imagine perceived areas where PlayStation underperforms.

Yes. The many people you refer to above this post.

..although something like Spelunky 2 does still show up in a State of Play

Sifu
Solar Ash
Five Nights at Freddie's
Kena
The Pedestrian
Aeon must die
TemTem
Nour
Chicory
Where the Heart leads
Operation Tango
Heavenly Bodies
Puzzling Places

Three of them were actually from the same State of Play as Spelunky 2 but ignored.

...But the problem is that Sony’s strategy could squeeze out that talent. I can confirm that I’ve heard similar tales about angst among senior developers at non-Naughty Dog studios.

This is a muddled bag. Quotes directly from the co-president of Naughty Dog from here - talent is not being squeezed out, talent is leaving because of the lack of succession planning and hierarchical structures being missing. 'Could' is also a non-committal phrase to try and avoid scrutiny. There 'could' be an earthquake in CA that wipes out all the big game studio's too.

“Almost every decision that we make at the studio is somehow trying to represent what the team wants the most. Because we definitely don’t want to have people working on something that they don’t have the creative motivation to work on.

Later in the interview, Naughty Dog’s co-president discussed structural changes its been making following the completion of The Last of Us Part 2 development last year.

Wells said the company was adding more hierarchy to its studio structure, in an attempt to help its leads better manage their teams and also to combat departures of senior employees seeking career progression.

We’ve got principle employees now, we’ve just promoted a bunch of VPs as well, we’re adding more leads… something that we’ve traditionally done on productions in the past is our leads and directors would still be too hands-on to where they didn’t have enough time to manage their team and people, so we’re freeing them up to do that.”

Wells added: “One of the motivating factors was we were losing people who felt that they couldn’t advance their career at Naughty Dog and they could get a more exciting title somewhere else doing the same work. That just didn’t make sense and was something that we needed to fix.”

He also confirmed Naughty Dog has been working with a leadership coach in an attempt to teach its lead developers to be better managers.

After Jason's article hit, Sony should have released a short statement clarifying the situation, that would have stopped this in its tracks.

It wouldn't. It would be way worse if they gave a statement on Jason"s article

You're quite right it won't affect sales, what's more worrying long term is Sony's AAA strategy and massive sales or your out attitude. I don't think that's a sustainable business model, but whether that's the case or not time will tell.

Not sustainable model? Nintendo's and Sony's strategy is exactly that for more than 2 decades.

It wouldn't. It would be way worse if they gave a statement on Jason"s article

Not sustainable model? Nintendo's and Sony's strategy is exactly that for more than 2 decades.
This is exactly the same way Sony are thinking and it will be there downfall in the long term. They'll be fine this generation though so don't worry yourself my friend.

Wizz-Art

Xbox fan in a PS focussed thread bitching on Sony fans while the brand he caps for hasn't done relevant shit for years if it comes down to publishing exclusive system selling content and new AAA IP's. Man I would've left PS behind a long time ago if they provided no relevant content for such a long time. Yet here you are.

I want PS to be in a much better place then it currently is, I'm a gamer first and formost and owned a PS1,2 and still own 2 PS3's. If Sony Defence Force keep defending anti-consumer stuff we will never get a better state for PS. And about your no games narrative...

zRHZ8nC.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Listen, this is getting overblown now. For me, this boils down to a few things;
  • PSN Store closure on PSP, Vita and PS3. This is shit, pure and simple. However, Xbox One didn’t launch with backwards compatibility. I will wait and see, as Sony might have something up their sleeve.
  • Japan Studio consolidation in to Team Asobi, focusing on Asro Bot moving forward. Ok. I like Japan Studio’s output, but 3D Platformer is my personal favourite genre. And Astro Bot is very, very good. As long as they aren’t VR exclusive moving forward.
  • MLB The Show on Game Pass. A PR blow for sure, but to be fair this isn’t a big deal for most people outside of NA and Japan.
  • Bend Studio and Naughty Dog reports. No offence, but Bend ain’t shit in my opinion (neither is that clown author of the piece). Naughty Dog have produced some brilliant games like The Precursor Legacy, Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us, but I don’t like their current trajectory too much.
YouTube ‘personalities’ and gaming ‘journalists’ are now pouncing on this because negativity sells. It’s the same with the tabloid press over dramatizing everything. It’s annoying me because they’re just seeing the dollar signs.

But it’s all not too significant in context. Sony could announce backwards compatibility tomorrow, or roll PS Now in to Plus. They could acquire another AA or AAA Studio.

They still have InSomniac, one of the best in the business in my opinion, who can produce two fantastic games in tandem like Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man. Guerrilla and Santa Monica stepped up massively with Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War 2018, I have no reason to doubt that Forbidden West and Ragnarok will not be amazing. Gran Turismo 7 is long overdue, but it’s nearly here, and we know what to expect from Polyphony. Ghost of Tsushima, I’ve yet to play, but it looks a huge step up from InFamous.

People need to chill the fuck out really and stop spamming Jim Ryan threads on the front page. They have just given away, for free, Ratchet and Clank and Horizon.

What pisses me off though is people who say shit like ‘well what about Xbox not releasing a Game of the Year ever’. These minor PS gripes have nothing to do with Xbox, this isn’t a Microsoft lead conspiracy and those types of comments just fuel the juvenile console war bullshit.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
I want PS to be in a much better place then it currently is, I'm a gamer first and formost and owned a PS1,2 and still own 2 PS3's. If Sony Defence Force keep defending anti-consumer stuff we will never get a better state for PS. And about your no games narrative...

zRHZ8nC.jpg
The no games “narrative” is about there not being any big exclusives on Xbox consoles since 2018-19. You might be ok with that but it’s still a fact.

pasterpl

The last two weeks were all about Xbox/GP fellatio and now it's all PS5 is shit and JR is the devil incarnate. They are really trying to make you "switch".

As if we needed more proof that this is all coordinated by Xbots. This is MKUltra shit.
It is funny as some of our very own negaf Sony fans created threads (and even a petition) to get rid of Jim Ryan, I am assuming all of them are paid shills trying to make us all switch to Xbox.
what I don’t understand is how people can defend price increase of games by billion dollar company that just reported record profits. When ms was trying to increase gold prices there was so much backslash that they reverted the decision, while games price increase was just okayed by Sony followers. There is a lot of valid concerns of recent Sony actions but some die hard s don’t mind any of these and will defend a company no matter what, Sony is not your friend, they just want your money, they dont give a f*ck about you and your feelings (same goes for ms and n), it is okay to say negative things about negative actions by any of these big corporations.

Zoro7

Banned
It is funny as some of our very own negaf Sony fans created threads (and even a petition) to get rid of Jim Ryan, I am assuming all of them are paid shills trying to make us all switch to Xbox.
what I don’t understand is how people can defend price increase of games by billion dollar company that just reported record profits. When ms was trying to increase gold prices there was so much backslash that they reverted the decision, while games price increase was just okayed by Sony followers. There is a lot of valid concerns of recent Sony actions but some die hard s don’t mind any of these and will defend a company no matter what, Sony is not your friend, they just want your money, they dont give a f*ck about you and your feelings (same goes for ms and n), it is okay to say negative things about negative actions by any of these big corporations.
What does making a profit have to do with increasing prices? Going by that Apple iPhones would still be $400 a pop.

WakeTheWolf

What I find interesting about this blatant, well coordinated, smear job campaign against PlayStation is the timing. First it was power, then overheating, then rdna1 then gamespass, now Jim Ryan is incompetent. Let’s recap:
-Before next gen consoles were talked about we’d get an almost daily article from some media figure about how cloud gaming was the future and Xbox was set to dominate.
-PlayStation out of the blue releases articles talking about the ssd, the cpu, and a rdna2 gpu.
-Xbox out of the blue follows up and shows the series x at the game awards.
2020:
-All we hear about is 12 teraflops and rdna 2. 12 teraflops became a religion, which is funny because we barely even mention it now.
-Sony doesn’t immediately respond. Xbox fanboys start a narrative of “They’re doomed, caught off guard, heat issues.”
-Show reveals ps5. Not 12 teraflops but not a bad peice of hardware.
“Rdna 1, heat issues, way too expensive ssd”
-Xbox may and June shows are both duds
-June Ps5 reveal, 2 consoles discless surprises many.
-Another ps5 event, pretty good
-Bethesda bombshell right before preorders
Games finally come out and there’s no difference between most of them, sometimes Ps5 getting the advantage.

So 2021:
Ps5 is outselling the series s/x 2:1
Ps5 games are up to par so the tools narrative happens.

After the power narrative fizzled it’s now about the onslaught of “gamespass game pass gamespass” and Sony is doomed because of that.

So now the new narrative is Jim Ryan is incompetent and THATS why Sony is doomed.

Look, Xbox is desperate. They’ve spent a lot of money and they need to show results. They have no software so they need the Jeff Grubbs and Twitter army to spread doom and gloom about Sony before the lead becomes insurmountable and its an Xbox one generation repeat.
Is Jim Ryan and PlayStation out of touch? Maybe? But is there a well coordinated smear campaign against PlayStation? Absolutely.
Jim is incompetent. He says that no one plays or buys older games anymore and yet everyone rushes to buy games due to store closure proving that they indeed still use older games.

Playstation would rather preach politics and black lives matter but that criticism can also be saidabout xbox. Censorship on games and alienating their niche market.

Playstation will certainly have hits but one should be able to criticise without blind fanboys lashing out

Ps5s are selling because of scalpers. People can't get their hands on them

Last edited:

It is in better place, what the hell you're blabbing about. LOL

This is exactly the same way Sony are thinking and it will be there downfall in the long term. They'll be fine this generation though so don't worry yourself my friend.

When Xbox fan is talking about Sony long term strategy. :/

kevm3

Sony right now looks like trash. I've been a sony fan for a very long time and the direction sony is going in is quite a turn off sort of like when Sony was trying to do all of that social/casual gaming during the beginning of ps3 and they've kind of got that hermit attitude of nintendo of old where you have no real idea of what they are doing. they might be selling out of everything now, but if they don't change the narrative around, Microsoft could very well get the momentum, especially if Microsoft getting the MGS franchise from Konami and handing it to Kojima is true. Sony shutting down the ps3 and vita stores and Jim Ryan essentially saying 'who wants to play these old games' is another huge turn off in comparison to Microsoft, who is embracing their current generations. It seems like Sony is trying to move from a hardcore gamer's company to a casual blockbuster company that only focuses on big franchises that they can later spin off into movies.

Jim is incompetent. He says that no one plays or buys older games anymore and yet everyone rushes to buy games due to store closure proving that they indeed still use older games.

That statement of his was took out of context.

Playstation would rather preach politics and black lives matter but that criticism can also be saidabout xbox. Censorship on games and alienating their niche market.

Ps5s are selling because of scalpers. People can't get their hands on them

The rest of the post is such a piece of crap

Last edited:

Bramble

The no games “narrative” is about there not being any big exclusives on Xbox consoles since 2018-19. You might be ok with that but it’s still a fact.

Yeah imagine still not getting this after all this time. Lmfao. They literally only play multiplats and BC games for years while Sony and Nintendo release GOTY banger after GOTY banger each year, yet they want PS "tO bE iN a BeTtEr StAtE". It's fucking hilarious. Then they celebrate a cricket game coming to game pass like the W of the century, but conveniently ignore stuff like Ori going to Switch, Bethesda releasing exclusive content like Minecraft VR and DOOM VR on the PS platform, not to mention timed deals like Deathloop and Ghostwire. Bethesda has more games on PS than on Xbox. And wasn't Call of the Sea a game they used as ammo for showing Xbox does have exclusives? I think that's coming to PS also. But it's fine for these dudes. Different standards I guess.

Alright

Banned
When N64 came out Sony actually lowered the price of their games to $49.99 to further stick the dagger into Nintendo. Times have changed.

Also I think those carts did actually cost a fair bit to manufacture tbf.
Carts are more expensive than Disc, but not double the price
Lol not exactly the best example to use....the n64 got trounced by the playstation and nintendo lost their strangehold on the gaming industry. They were forced to reduce the cost of games.
🤷‍♂️ it was the first one that came to mind, and while yeah, Nintendo had to go in a different direction, they now stand king on the top of their own mountain. Nintendo has 0 competition.

Lol not exactly the best example to use....the n64 got trounced by the playstation and nintendo lost their strangehold on the gaming industry. They were forced to reduce the cost of games.

Their games on Switch are damn expensive. After 4 years, BOtW didn't got a single price cut. Btw. cards were more expensive, but not double the price compared to games on CD's

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
It is not just the higher cost is the inventory management work you need to perform and the cost and turnaround time to order a new batch of carts if you underestimated the initial order.
In the UK we still saw a big hike in prices from Mega drive/SNES to N64.

I don't know much about Nintendo tbh, i was too busy with the PSX and DC (real consoles :p )

That IBM FUD campaign is a very famous incident, and most people know about it. A very similar thing happened in 2013 with Xbox One and PS4 launch. That's enough evidence to assume a similar thing might be happening right now, considering how fishy everything is looking right now.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying that MS is running an FUD campaign against PS or paying influencers to bad-mouth PS management and Sony. I'm saying that there is enough precedent and evidence for some people to make that connection, and that line of thinking will be understandable.

I'm a fan of gaming I don't currently own an Xbox and in fact game on a PS4 Pro and PC. I want all the companies to do well and Sony are leading currently. All this bad PR and questionable work practices, closing Studios and just an inability to connect with your audience has me concerned. I'm sure Jim and the team has a long term strategy other than the same old same old, we just haven't heard about it yet.

Alright

Banned
N64 carts were bigger and maybe Nintendo charged more too.
Fair point!

As for Sony, game costs do creep up and for those complaining about £70 games, just wait until the price drops. Buying games day one has never been as foolish.

TBH i don't even know how expensive Xbox games are? Are they £70? What's the launch price of Halo Infinite/cost to buy digitally? 🤷‍♂️

Alright

Banned
I'm a fan of gaming I don't currently own an Xbox and in fact game on a PS4 Pro and PC. I want all the companies to do well and Sony are leading currently. All this bad PR and questionable work practices, closing Studios and just an inability to connect with your audience has me concerned. I'm sure Jim and the team has a long term strategy other than the same old same old, we just haven't heard about it yet.
Not picking on you or aiming this at you, your post just has both elements to it.

Over all of the threads i've spammed posted in, this was my point. It's not Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or Epic.

The point is that X amount of articles have come out and said something based on no facts, no observable data (with the exception of the closing of the PS3/Vita store - which Sony haven't talked about afaik, so we don't know what the plan is long term with that) , only opinion from 'internet personalities'

The narrative that has now formed is that Sony is X. But nobody can point to evidence to support it.

TL;DR : All of the articles have nothing of substance behind them. They all point at Jim Ryan without being able to back any of it up with quotes, facts or data. It is effectively manufactured information.

SkylineRKR

If software sales dwindle, Sony WILL respond.

I'm not going to buy Returnal at launch, no way. If a lot of PS5 owners don't, they force Sony's hand. We've seen Destruction Allstars, probably at an all time low pre order level despite not much software to choose from. Not saying Returnal is going to be as shitty, but if the game bombs we'll see a discount soon enough. And perhaps lower RRP for future games.

As for BC, i've no desire to play PS3 games at all. I think most significant ones translated well to PS4 and recently DeS for PS5. But for preservation purposes it should be there. Too bad PS3 isn't compatible with its younger siblings.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Fair point!

As for Sony, game costs do creep up and for those complaining about £70 games, just wait until the price drops. Buying games day one has never been as foolish.

TBH i don't even know how expensive Xbox games are? Are they £70? What's the launch price of Halo Infinite/cost to buy digitally? 🤷‍♂️
We don’t know re Xbox yet. Forza Horizon 4 launched recently for £54.99 on Steam. I hope they stick with that price rather than trying to balloon costs.

Seems rational and logical thinking is lost on some people. There's definitely been a slew of articles recently that questioned Sony's decisions and direction. While some may find that questionable... The overwhelming outrage at those articles merely existing is equally questionable.

It's easy to tell if these reports are fud, or actual points that merit consideration. Are the things being claimed as facts actually true, or not? Do the people who are making these claims tend to be accurate and reliable?

Jason Schrier articles have been posted here as well as other gaming forums for years. Prior to his last piece, the general consensus seemed to be that he tended to be focused in regards to workplace practices such as crunch and harrassment. While some thought him perhaps a little too "woke" for their liking, overall he seemed to have a pretty good track record as far as his sources, and accuracy goes. With Jason Schrier often pretending things were a bigger deal than they often times were, I can't recall him ever making provably false claims. While I'm just mentioning Schrier, the same would apply to basically any public person doing similar.

So are the things being written/said recently about Sony and Playstation accurate? Is there credible evidence suggesting it either is or isn't?

If the things being said regarding Sony are based on truth, then the people claiming it's a hit job, MS paid shills, whatever conspiracy theory, etc... are nothing more than blind fanboys that simply aren't mature enough to be able to handle criticism in any form. Even if said criticism is about their favorite brand or company.

If the things being said about Sony is baseless speculation, or outright false... Then there may very well be something to the conspiracy theories. If the claims are easily proven false. Typically the topic doesn't garner much attention. If it does, it doesn't last long and it certainly doesn't result in others following suit with their own articles or videos. As the adage goes... If there's smoke, there's usually a fire.

Taking all that into account, it's obvious some people here are following and/or creating a narrative that goes along with their biased opinions and preferences. Some of them will use any excuse to paint the opposing console in a bad light, even if that includes making accusations with no evidence to support it. At this point, there's no telling how low they'll go.

The other people here are just wondering why Sony has made some of the decisions they have as of late, and are just honestly questioning if it benefits them or not.

Wizz-Art

Oh it offers PS3 BC, I didn't know...? They are shutting down storefronts on legacy consoles and don't have something in place like Xbox where I can still buy 360 and even OG Xbox games. The money they pocket for PSN they don't invest in bettering there subpar rented AWS infrastructure where downloading still takes more time then on Xbox. They switched PS Now to Azure and the service improved ever since, they should do the same for PSN to be honest. Also paying more for games then people used to is being in a very good place when your biggest competitor offers a service called Game Pass where people can subscribe and play a game like MLB The Show21 and Outriders for 10-15 bucks.

But of course you can be like this...

Q2BkftO.jpg

Jim Ryan will compliment you for that.

Last edited:
It's still a bit shit that nobody praises Sony for VR, or that their line up includes the launch of PSVR2. They need praise for that, serious praise. On another note, where's Goodbye Volcano High? I need some laughs
🤣 Pleeeease somebody praise Sony. Waaah! My beloved Sony needs praise. PLEEEEAAAASE!!!!

That's probably because VR is a niche market at best that most people don't give a crap about. Even if they did, there are better alternatives.

Oh it offers PS3 BC, I didn't know...? They are shutting down storefronts on legacy consoles and don't have something in place like Xbox where I can still buy 360 and even OG Xbox games.

And, so what if they shut down PS3 store and PSVita store where there are no sales, no discounts for years. Nothing! Nintendo abandoned Wii U so fast that no one took a blip on that

Also paying more for games then people used to is being in a very good place when your biggest competitor offers a service called Game Pass where people can subscribe and play a game like MLB The Show21 and Outriders for 10-15 bucks.

People are paying games on PS platform for years at full price, people are paying games on Switch at full price and guess what. Xbox is demolished by both for good reason. Game ownership will always prevail over rental

Last edited:
Gamespass has yet to prove it can be financially viable or sustainable. All we have to go by on it is “trust me bro, it already is” from Phil and the astroturfers. Keep in mind Netflix was running billion dollar deficits for years despite a significantly higher user base, mindshare, and wasn’t running dollar deals. If game pass doesn’t take off, that’s It for Xbox.

When that happens, Xbox brand will be up for grabs and Tencent will probably be interested.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems rational and logical thinking is lost on some people. There's definitely been a slew of articles recently that questioned Sony's decisions and direction. While some may find that questionable... The overwhelming outrage at those articles merely existing is equally questionable.

It's easy to tell if these reports are fud, or actual points that merit consideration. Are the things being claimed as facts actually true, or not? Do the people who are making these claims tend to be accurate and reliable?

Jason Schrier articles have been posted here as well as other gaming forums for years. Prior to his last piece, the general consensus seemed to be that he tended to be focused in regards to workplace practices such as crunch and harrassment. While some thought him perhaps a little too "woke" for their liking, overall he seemed to have a pretty good track record as far as his sources, and accuracy goes. With Jason Schrier often pretending things were a bigger deal than they often times were, I can't recall him ever making provably false claims. While I'm just mentioning Schrier, the same would apply to basically any public person doing similar.

So are the things being written/said recently about Sony and Playstation accurate? Is there credible evidence suggesting it either is or isn't?

If the things being said regarding Sony are based on truth, then the people claiming it's a hit job, MS paid shills, whatever conspiracy theory, etc... are nothing more than blind fanboys that simply aren't mature enough to be able to handle criticism in any form. Even if said criticism is about their favorite brand or company.

If the things being said about Sony is baseless speculation, or outright false... Then there may very well be something to the conspiracy theories. If the claims are easily proven false. Typically the topic doesn't garner much attention. If it does, it doesn't last long and it certainly doesn't result in others following suit with their own articles or videos. As the adage goes... If there's smoke, there's usually a fire.

Taking all that into account, it's obvious some people here are following and/or creating a narrative that goes along with their biased opinions and preferences. Some of them will use any excuse to paint the opposing console in a bad light, even if that includes making accusations with no evidence to support it. At this point, there's no telling how low they'll go.

The other people here are just wondering why Sony has made some of the decisions they have as of late, and are just honestly questioning if it benefits them or not.

There's nothing much of substance in Jason's hit-piece. A Days Gone sequel not getting greenlit in 2019 is an expected consequence of what Jeff Ross described as "not sticking the landing". However after the amount of post-release patching, its performance across multiiple sales, PS+ and PC port the situation in 2021 may be very different.

Not every sequel gets greenlit immediately.

Similarly not every prototype or proof of concept gets picked up and taken to full production, and the entire premise of another team outside of ND making a "better" TLOU seems extremely fishy to me, especially at a point where a TV series is incoming and Sony would be most focussed on protecting the brand.

The point being that this isn't "fire". Its just business as usual.

Sony had a bad PR last year. And guess what? Nothing happened.
Andrew House shut down Evolutions Studios and Guerilla Cambridge. And guess what? Nothing happened in their long term bussines.

Wizz-Art

The + of GAAS games is that they are getting new stuff all the time, I still continue to play State of Decay 2, hands down my most played game ever and my GotG. I still play Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsports 7 at least once a week. Gears of War 5 got a whole story DLC recently. which was awesomely good. Sea of Thieves has so much content releasing all the time you'll drown in it. Meanwhile if you finish a first party game on PS, you don't have a reason to keep on playing because it's dead except for Gran Turismo.

FunkMiller

No one with their sensible head on would say that some of Sony's moves recently have been good ones.

Equally, no one with their sensible head on would claim that any of these moves have done anything to affect Sony's position as totally dominant in the console field at the moment.

But, lets face it, people don't have their sensible heads on. They either want to defend Sony to the death, or are Xbox fans who will jump on anything even remotely negative.

Wizz-Art

And, so what if they shut down PS3 store and PSVita store where there are no sales, no discounts for years. Nothing! Nintendo abandoned Wii U so fast that no one took a blip on that

People are paying games on PS platform for years at full price, people are paying games on Switch at full price and guess what. Xbox is demolished by both for good reason. Game ownership will always prevail over rental

Why are you defending an anticonsumer move?

I wish you luck on the PS ecosystem where owning digital is like renting they're shutting off storefronts for their consoles so very good!

Bramble

Oh it offers PS3 BC, I didn't know...? They are shutting down storefronts on legacy consoles and don't have something in place like Xbox where I can still buy 360 and even OG Xbox games. The money they pocket for PSN they don't invest in bettering there subpar rented AWS infrastructure where downloading still takes more time then on Xbox. They switched PS Now to Azure and the service improved ever since, they should do the same for PSN to be honest. Also paying more for games then people used to is being in a very good place when your biggest competitor offers a service called Game Pass where people can subscribe and play a game like MLB The Show21 and Outriders for 10-15 bucks.

But of course you can be like this...

Q2BkftO.jpg

Jim Ryan will compliment you for that.

You still here? Nobody was buying those games, but now all of a sudden that is some kind of problem. You're just a pathetic concern troll, nothing more. What PS3 game were you planning to buy? What 360 and OG Xbox games are you buying? Every heard of physical? It's a 15 year old console, lmfao.

Downloading on PS5 is fast and uses all of my bandwidth. I guess I'm lucky?

You pay 15 buck a month to rent a cricket game and a mediocre looter shooter and when they get of the service you still have to buy them to keep playing. I guess just buying them of the bat is cheaper in the end? If you can't afford it, wait for a sale.

You enjoy an all-you-can-eat restaurant with mid food and nothing new on the menu for years while others enjoy a good restaurant with high class food and renewing menu. It's fine. The fake outrage of a $10 price bumps is hilarious though. Send me your PayPall and I'll wire you $10 so you can actually own a game for a change.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is the way gaming media works now. One guy puts out an article and the rest of them rush to push the same story out over the next week. Then all the clickbait Youtubers amplify the same overly sensational story because people click on it and they make money off those people. That’s what this guy is doing here. If there is drama more people will read. We are in a slow news period so they need to do something to generate income.

Bramble

Why are you defending an anticonsumer move?

I wish you luck on the PS ecosystem where owning digital is like renting they're shutting off storefronts for their consoles so very good!

You can still download the games you own dummy, just not buy new ones. Or even better: buy the PS4 version since many PS3 games have wonderful crafted remasters and remakes.

OrionNebula

Jim Ryan is waiting for the right moment to drop the megatons. But first, he needs to eliminate all the inside enemies.
This guy makes it sound like Playstation HQ is like the Old House in Control 😆

OT : I’m not seeing anything in Grubb’s mess that wets my panties 🤷🏻

Wizz-Art

You can still download the games you own dummy, just not buy new ones. Or even better: buy the PS4 version since many PS3 games have wonderful crafted remasters and remakes.
Ladies and gentleman we've got a company apologist over here

Will it hurt you to keep legacy storefronts up? Answer this please, i'd like to know how unrational a mind works from a Sony Defence Force member.

I managed to get a ps5 on launch and many of my friends have not been so lucky...however the ones that have been active to try and nab one or paid a scalper are now saying they should of just waited as it’s gathering dust...it would seem the need to own one overrides the actual use of the console

to me the ps5 probably released too early.

Bramble

Ladies and gentleman we've got a company apologist over here

Will it hurt you to keep legacy storefronts up? Answer this please, i'd like to know how unrational a mind works from a Sony Defence Force member.

No, just as it doesn't hurt me if they close. I really don't give a shit about this. It's a complete non-issue for me. I didn't even know they were still open until all the fake concern Xbox fans like yourself started whining about it. I sold my PS3 2 weeks before my PS4 arrived and I hardly owned any digital games back then. And if they close the PS4 storefront in 2030, then fine. I am not buying PS4 games in 2030. I'm hardly buying PS4 games today.

Now answer my question: what PS3 games were you planning to buy? I get that you don't have any new games to play on Xbox, but to go 15 years or even further back in time is a little bit of a stretch.

Top Bottom