• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jen Tsao leaving 1UP, joins Sega

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date

J-Rzez

MC Safety said:
I don't think Jennifer meant World of WarCraft is a casual game (or experience). Rather I think she was giving examples of games that have "reached" women.

Yeah, I think I misread that. Anyways, if she gave wiimusic a 9, that's more than enough reason to let her go (lol). Like others said, she seemed off base with her comments on many occassions though. She didn't seem to have a personality that fix in with the rest of the crew though. Hopefully they'll replace her with someone that is easier to relate to.

ecierif

Were some of you really that bothered by the Wii Music review (and the score was A-, not 9)? What's the deal? And I get the impression that they're not really "graduating" to development, but opportunities arise and they just seize the day when they feel it's time for a change. Naturally, a video game-centric company wouldn't mind hiring someone with an established history with gaming and the industry, and a game journalist wouldn't mind being on the other side for a change.

Proven

RpgN said:
Please! If that's the way you're thinking of getting more girl gamers by praising games like wii music, wiifit etc, then gooooood riddance. I hope you have a wonderful time with a boring job, SISTER!

Seriously, I hate these kind of girls/women who think we should only like these kind of games. Hardcore games will always stay.

She's not saying they only play these types of games, she's saying they reach out to them. Everyone has to start somewhere, and she sees games like these as a non-threatening way of getting females to give a game a try, and then hopefully buy a console for themself, where from there they're in and indoctrined. If you grow to love it enough, you'll eventually upgrade/become hardcore yourself.

And I'm echoing sentiments that WoW is a casual game. Yes, a lot if not all of the endgame content is hardcore only, but do you even realize how small a percent of those hardcore players make up the 11 million base of that game?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ecierif said:
Were some of you really that bothered by the Wii Music review (and the score was A-, not 9)? What's the deal?
They have differing opinions. People on both sides of the argument should realize that there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone doesn't have to like the same things.

Aselith

CoG said:
At this rate Garnett and Shane will be the ones left closing up shop.

It must be comforting for them to know they'll have jobs waiting for them as associate producers for a game studio on the other side.

Rorschach

Got off the sinking ship in time...and boarded a burning ship!

s476mf.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Good luck at SEGA. Tell them to never ruin another classic franchise again. Sonic, NiGHTS, Samba... now Golden Axe. If Jennifer can stop this one horror slashing of nostalgic memories, we can all be thankful.

Wii Music is still atrocious though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Amir0x said:
Good luck at SEGA. Tell them to never ruin another classic franchise again. Sonic, NiGHTS, Samba... now Golden Axe. If Jennifer can stop this one horror slashing of nostalgic memories, we can all be thankful.

Wii Music is still atrocious though.
Oh Amir0x. Your one-man crusade against Wii Music is probably the only thing keeping the thread on the front page.

Jen, if you get them to port Chu Chu Rocket to XBLA I'll start a fan club for you. And I won't let all your stalkers join. Promise.

clashfan

Kabuki Waq said:
Risky move moving from a company that matters in the gaming industry to one that doesnt.

pay cut confirmed?

You think a magazine publisher pays more then a game developer? That's funny...

Taker666

I'll wish you good luck Jen...

..provided you tell Sega to talk to Lucasarts and port Star Wars trilogy Arcade to the Wii.:D

..and make some more lightgun games.

Calcaneus

Ugh, guys, stop being such nerds over that WiiMusic review. Its not like she's the only person on Earth that likes the thing, lots of people even on GAF think its a good idea.

And man, lame that she's leaving. At this rate, we're gonna need announcements when people decide not to leave.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Big grats to her. Generally people that cross over from games journalism into production have to take an entry level role, regardless of what their title was at their publication.

So for her to land a management position (even though it's entry-level management) is a great accomplishment.

Not surprised by many of the replies in this thread, but hey-ho, that's GAF for you.

Good on her for landing such a plum position & here's hoping 1UP find another good writer to fill the gap she'll leave.

Shock and awe.

1up should have these case studies built into their job offers to sweeten the pot....

"At 1up, you can fulfill your lifelong dream of actually making a game with 3-5 years of dedicated service" :lol

Not hating though, glad to see people (in any trade) getting their dream jobs and making some nice paper!

Slavik81

Firestorm said:
It had been a while since the last departure I guess. I find it pretty interesting that the position she's getting exists. Probably didn't about 5 years ago.
Good luck.
What? It was like Shawn just left yesterday.

How cruel you are with your slings and arrows! You piece my heart with your words.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
acevans2 said:
Was that awful looking skiing game on the Wii that she reviewed with an A- made by Sega?

We Ski?

That was Namco...

Tron 2.0

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, I think I misread that. Anyways, if she gave wiimusic a 9, that's more than enough reason to let her go (lol). Like others said, she seemed off base with her comments on many occassions though. She didn't seem to have a personality that fix in with the rest of the crew though. Hopefully they'll replace her with someone that is easier to relate to.
Lame. 1Up doesn't need anymore hardcore white males. In fact, her sometimes differing opinion was one of her largest contributions to the team.

Good luck at Sega, Jen!

legend166

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

StuBurns

Banned
legend166 said:
It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life
That is a truly awful poem or whatever it is.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
thats too bad, jen was always pretty entertaining as a writer and on the podcasts when she used to do them more often.

Kabuki Waq said:
Risky move moving from a company that matters in the gaming industry to one that doesnt.

pay cut confirmed?

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah going from game journalism to a publisher sure is a risky move.

Top Bottom