• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Jeopardy!' Host Alex Trebek Suffers Heart Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weenerz

Banned
Alex Trebek, longtime host of the iconic game show Jeopardy!, was admitted into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Saturday after suffering a “mild heart attack.”

According to a statement released Sunday by Sony Pictures Television, “Trebek is in good spirits and is currently under observation and undergoing further testing.He is expected to fully recover and be back at Jeopardy! when production begins taping in July for the new season, the show's 29th.”
Trebek previously suffered a heart attack in December 2007, after which he returned to Jeopardy! in a matter of weeks. He was also injured on July 27, 2011 while pursuing a burglar in his hotel room in San Francisco. After snapping his Achilles' tendon, he wore a cast for six weeks.
Trebek, 71, has hosted Jeopardy! since 1984, and his contract was recently extended until 2014. Speaking to THR at the Peabody Awards in May, Trebek said that his dream job would be hosting Hollywood Squares.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jeopardy-alex-trebek-heart-attack-341331

Seems a bit quick to come back from a heart attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HdAwrKtw48

His outakes are hilarious.

the chris

What is this pain in my arm?

WhwWg.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love it when I see a thread title, hope that the first reply is from the poster I expect it to be, and wind up correct, smiling, and satisfied.

Demon Ice

Banned
I am convinced that Count Dookkake is actually a group of elves scouring threads and coming up with puns. No way that's all the work of a single person.

bengraven

I am convinced that Count Dookkake is actually a group of elves scouring threads and coming up with puns. No way that's all the work of a single person.

He has GAF Platinum, which automatically puts his first response in the second place and adjusts the time as well.

As much as I like Jeopardy, they really need to up the prize money. It's been the same since I began watching the show.

It's sad to see the Jeopardy champion typically only win like $15,000 when game shows like Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, people can win that much even if they go home early (before even finished the first round) Or Wheel of Fortune when the losing contestants, can sometimes go home with $5,000-10,000.

Get well Alex. Jeopardy is about the only game show that hasn't been dumbed down.

As much as I like Jeopardy, they really need to up the prize money. It's been the same since I began watching the show.

It's sad to see the Jeopardy champion typically only win like $15,000 when game shows like Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, people can win that much even if they go home early (before even finished the first round) Or Wheel of Fortune when the losing contestants, can sometimes go home with $5,000-10,000.

Get well Alex. Jeopardy is about the only game show that hasn't been dumbed down.

You can make dough on Jeopardy! but you gotta earn it. No returning "champs" on Wheel Of Fortune or Millionaire. Of course the point of Millionaire is to throw shitloads of cash around but I suspect the average Jeopardy champ walks away with more than a Wheel Of Fortune winner when their run is over.

Yeah I thought about that but still, you don't see many people that repeat more than once, so they could have maybe two or three $15,000 wins if they're lucky but still have you watched wheel of fortune lately ? The typical final puzzle prize is $30,000-40,000 on top of what they already won. And they give you all the common letters and let you pick three more and a vowel.

If I had my choice, I'd go on Millionaire first, Wheel second, Jeopardy last.
Although the teen week jeopardy is a joke. I understand they need to make it easier due to the ages, but I think they overdue it. It seems like almost every question will get answered correctly by someone, but on regular Jeopardy, even the champion will get stumped on a hard question.

they doubled the prize money around 10 years ago... I still fondly remember when it was 100, 200, 300, etc. even with the lower prize money, there were a few memory savants in the 90s who fucking tore shit up and could hit 20k in a few games...

also, remember with millionaire that you have to to the fastest finger thing to even get on. at least with jeopardy, if they put you on the show you have an opportunity to win some cash.

Yeah I thought about that but still, you don't see many people that repeat more than once, so they could have maybe two or three $15,000 wins if they're lucky but still have you watched wheel of fortune lately ? The typical final puzzle prize is $30,000-40,000 on top of what they already won. And they give you all the common letters and let you pick three more and a vowel.

If I had my choice, I'd go on Millionaire first, Wheel second, Jeopardy last.
Although the teen week jeopardy is a joke. I understand they need to make it easier due to the ages, but I think they overdue it. It seems like almost every question will get answered correctly by someone, but on regular Jeopardy, even the champion will get stumped on a hard question.

Some shows exist to make people go "ooooh... ahhhh" at the money totals, like Let's Make a Deal, but I don't think anybody watches Jeopardy to watch the Money (except for Ken Jennings' run, but that was just more about his hot streak than the total itself). Jeopardy is all about trying to answer the questions yourself and impressing your friends. The producers probably wouldn't really benefit at all, ratings wise, from increasing the payout, so why would they bother?

they doubled the prize money around 10 years ago... I still fondly remember when it was 100, 200, 300, etc. even with the lower prize money, there were a few memory savants in the 90s who fucking tore shit up and could hit 20k in a few games...

I forgot they did raise it once a while ago. I've been watching it off and on for about 25 years. Yeah I think some people hit 20k even before they raised the prize money, but it was after winning their bet in final jeopardy. Even now with the new $2000 questions in double jeopardy, it seems rare to see anyone break 20k before the conclusion of final jeopardy.

also, remember with millionaire that you have to to the fastest finger thing to even get on. at least with jeopardy, if they put you on the show you have an opportunity to win some cash.

Do they still do that ? I remember when it used to be that way, but the episodes I've seen lately are a completely new format. The prize money and difficulty of the questions is randomized in the first 15 questions or whatever. It seems like they just call people out and they're on, no more fastest finger thing. But yeah that would suck to go out there and not even get to compete. I've checked into it. I'll definitely be there the next time they hold open auditions in my city. I guess once you get screened to go on the show, you're in a que, and if a producer decides to put you on, you get 1-2 days notice and have to fly out to NYC for the taping at your own expense. But it would totally be worth it. I think you have to screw up royally to not take home at least $10,000 or more on that show. Especially with the new format where you can quit at anytime and keep half your winnings.

I forgot they did raise it once a while ago. I've been watching it off and on for about 25 years. Yeah I think some people hit 20k even before they raised the prize money, but it was after winning their bet in final jeopardy. Even now with the new $2000 questions in double jeopardy, it seems rare to see anyone break 20k before the conclusion of final jeopardy.

Do they still do that ? I remember when it used to be that way, but the episodes I've seen lately are a completely new format. The prize money and difficulty of the questions is randomized in the first 15 questions or whatever. It seems like they just call people out and they're on, no more fastest finger thing. But yeah that would suck to go out there and not even get to compete. I've checked into it. I'll definitely be there the next time they hold open auditions in my city. I guess once you get screened to go on the show, you're in a que, and if a producer decides to put you on, you get 1-2 days notice and have to fly out to NYC for the taping at your own expense. But it would totally be worth it. I think you have to screw up royally to not take home at least $10,000 or more on that show. Especially with the new format where you can quit at anytime and keep half your winnings.

I think you're right about them doing away with the fastest finger thing... to be honest, I haven't watched Millionaire for many years except a few youtube clips here and there...

I don't really mind the low overall purses on Jeopardy, though. It makes the dominant champions, like Ken Jennings, all the more special when they do come along. The show probably would be a bit more exciting wtih larger purses, but there's something familiar and comforting about Jeopardy's current format that I wouldn't want changed. For me, winning or dominating on Jeopardy is less about the prize money and more about the bragging rights of have a well rounded knowledge base that you can quickly access.

Recarpo

71? Man he looks good for a 71 year old guy. Glad he's okay, too. Jeopardy just wouldn't be the same without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom