• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

tumblr_lxprn1h0Nh1qdlh1io1_400.gif

What kind of dog is that? Looks like a Great Pyrenees but usually just their ears are grey...

Al-ibn Kermit

There hasn't been a Harvard player in the NBA in over 50 years.

I'm kind of in shock at how wrong my assumption was.

Well, he only went there because it was one of the very few Division I schools offering him guaranteed playing time - and this was after he was the named California player of the year coming out of high school.

Did a quick skim of his wikipedia page, it seems like he might have been underestimated in the past due to his ethnicity.

Zyzyxxz

Did a quick skim of his wikipedia page, it seems like he might have been underestimated in the past due to his ethnicity.

I believe he has also been the victim of discrimination and ridicule when he played at opposing team courts where the crowd was primarily white during his Harvard time.

Kusagari

I'm loathe to compare him to Tebow for one real reason. Tebow was quite possibly the best player in college football history. The guy will always have a legacy and millions of people defending him for that one reason. The guy will always get defended, not just because of his faith, but because of that.

Lin, on the other hand, truly did come out of nowhere. If he quickly self-destructs then he's going to become a footnote that will be quickly forgotten.

pax217

I talked to Jeremy a handful of times when he played in Oakland, he's a very respectable person, as well as player. I am glad he's playing so well in D'Antoni's system, but I can't help but think that it isn't real.

His turnovers are still high and half the time on defense he looks like a lost puppy, almost chasing the ball. That said, his offensive play has been undeniable and I hope it continues. It's fun to watch and it's good for the NBA.

I'm loathe to compare him to Tebow for one real reason. Tebow was quite possibly the best player in college football history. The guy will always have a legacy and millions of people defending him for that one reason. The guy will always get defended, not just because of his faith, but because of that.

Lin, on the other hand, truly did come out of nowhere. If he quickly self-destructs then he's going to become a footnote that will be quickly forgotten.

+1

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
See, was that so hard? Anyways, Pippen grew to 6 feet 8 and Robinson grew to 7 feet or so. Both were drafted.

Ben Wallace
Raja Bell
Earl Boykins
Brad Christie

There are plenty of guys like that.

There's only one asian-american hype machine that can move merchandise like crack across two continents though.

Derrick Rose is plastered all over Taiwan. But Lin is getting alot of coverage now, showing his highlights on TV.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm loathe to compare him to Tebow for one real reason. Tebow was quite possibly the best player in college football history.

Lin finished his career as the first player in the history of the Ivy League to record at least 1,450 points (1,483), 450 rebounds (487), 400 assists (406) and 200 steals (225).

Lin destroyed all the college records in the Ivy League! Overtaking... someone for points! Probably that same guy for rebounds... Then I'm guessing that dude came close to 400 assists in the 80s or something, and maybe that person got some steals! He's clearly a college God!

But seriously, good on him, gonna see him when the Raps come to town!

Lin has good fundamentals and he's pretty smart. Outside of tonight, he's been great for NYK, but even then its not that much of a red herring. Rubio is an elite defender and was his first real test, so I'm sure he'll get better in the future

Kusagari

Lin has good fundamentals and he's pretty smart. Outside of tonight, he's been great for NYK, but even then its not that much of a red herring. Rubio is an elite defender and was his first real test, so I'm sure he'll get better in the future

Oh, I agree. I think that Lin will stick around. I hope he does anyway. But if things go south, this won't be a Tebow situation. He'll be quickly turned on and forgotten.

beat

I'm already on the Lin-wagon.

Where are my fellow bandwagon bros at?

I've been cheering Lin on since the Mavs invited him to the summer league after he didn't get drafted. Been following along with his unofficial fansite jeremylin.net since then, and I thought the guy who runs it was a little (to a lot) high on Lin... I mean, I liked what I saw and read about him, but I would never have expected anything like his recent five game explosion.

guy with no jumpshot who can only drive to his right is suddenly a great player?
Against the Lakers and Wolves, he went left several times - Rubio esp was heavily overplaying Lin's right. Lin did okay going left. And against the Lakers, at least, he was solid as hell from outside: 6 for 10 outside 15 feet, 3 for 5 outside 18 feet. I know, small sample size.

Apeopleman said:
Not even close. This guy seems smart, and quiet and Im really glad an intelligent quiet person is doing great in the NBA. He's not a circus, he does what gotta be done
why? Because he's asian? Went to harvard?
I'd say because he has so far demonstrated great recognition of the right move out of the pick and roll.

BTW, anyone got video of him breaking Ridnour's ankles tonight in the first half?

Edit: yes, overall he had a semi-disappointing night: too many FG misses, too many TOs. He's green as hell in terms of overall minutes played and his conditioning is surely a factor now, but let's see how he responds with some rest at Toronto and then the next night against the Kings.

Onemic

People really need to cool off the hype train until melo and amare come back. Melo will demolish lins production. People forget right now he's literally the only one on the team that can score. Farmar did the same thing last year with the nets and look what he's doing now.

I'm just bitter becasue I didn't pick him up quick enough in fantasy :(

xbhaskarx

This guy seems smart, and quiet and Im really glad an intelligent quiet person is doing great in the NBA.

why? Because he's asian? Went to harvard?

How many current NBA players graduated from college? How many got good grades in college? How many had a non-joke major? How many attended a halfway decent college? How many went to a top tier college? How many went to Harvard, which is widely considered one of the best if not the best? What percentage of NBA players would have gone to a decent college if they had no basketball skills?

Dressing like Steve Urkel at post-game press conferences because it's hip does not count.

rdrr gnr

I hope this guy is legit. Basketball could use someone who isn't an asshole. I'd also contend there is a difference between being racial and being racist (yes, it's from a comedy bit) but I don't see things like Yellow Mamba as being racist. He is an Asian player in a primarily non-Asian sport -- so what? If anything, him embracing his ethnicity will help future generations and break some stereotypes; much like Yao did. To draw parallels to Tebow isn't completely off-base, except this time it's race instead of faith.
An economics degree is viewed as a "real degree"?
Uh, yeah? The only objectively non-degree degree is Theology and even that has some merit in certain contexts. And who cares. You could major in Art History and graduating from Harvard would still be an immense feat.

How many current NBA players graduated from college? How many got good grades in college? How many had a non-joke major? How many attended a halfway decent college? How many went to a top tier college? How many went to Harvard, which is widely considered one of the best if not the best? What percentage of NBA players would have gone to a decent college if they had no basketball skills?

lol. please. majoring in econ is hardly a nerd major. come at me when he gets his masters in quantum mechanics.

Dr.Acula

Banned
People really need to cool off the hype train until melo and amare come back. Melo will demolish lins production. People forget right now he's literally the only one on the team that can score. Farmar did the same thing last year with the nets and look what he's doing now.

Oh man, I remember the Toronto post-Carter "Mo' Pete era."

Check out his PPG numbers

03-04 TOR 8.3
04-05 TOR 12.5
05-06 TOR 16.8
06-07 TOR 8.9

Non-believers will eventually become Linsane!

Bam:

Lin has scored at least 20 points, gotten five assists and has shot over 50 percent from the field in his last four games. The only other player to do that in the NBA is LeBron James.

He is also setting team records, scoring 89 points in first three games as a starter-the highest point total in Knicks history for a starter in his first three games since the 1976-77 NBA-ABA merger.

xbhaskarx

lol. please. majoring in econ is hardly a nerd major. come at me when he gets his masters in quantum mechanics.

Not sure where you got your education, but I merely said it is not a joke major. There are plenty of tough courses in econ. And we're talking about Harvard here.

Masters? This guy is 23, how would he have a masters in anything? But since you brought it up, would anyone be surprised if he went to grad school if his NBA career didn't work out?
Come at me when anyone in the NBA has a masters in quantum mechanics... what the fuck is the relevance of that?

Bgamer90

Banned
Uh, yeah? The only objectively non-degree degree is Theology and even that has some merit in certain contexts. And who cares. You could major in Art History and graduating from Harvard would still be an immense feat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the "lol @ your major" boat... I just thought it wasn't viewed as being a smart major to take since I have recently heard a lot of people talk bad about it.

Then again, there's people that do that for a lot of majors I guess. ::shoulder shrug::

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
An NBA great? LOL

Let him play 3 or 4 seasons instead of 3 or 4 games to judge.

"He's already better than Jordan."- Trollface

I hope this guy is legit. Basketball could use someone who isn't an asshole. I'd also contend there is a difference between being racial and being racist (yes, it's from a comedy bit) but I don't see things like Yellow Mamba as being racist. He is an Asian player in a primarily non-Asian sport -- so what? If anything, him embracing his ethnicity will help future generations and break some stereotypes; much like Yao did. To draw parallels to Tebow isn't completely off-base, except this time it's race instead of faith.

Why do all athletes get communications degrees

Opiate

lol gtfo. There are plenty of players in the NBA who "preach team" and don't complain about their contract. A vast majority, actually. Only they are black.

A serious question: I know very little about basketball. My general and very uneducated understanding is that college basketball is viewed as more team-centric, while the NBA is more store driven. Is that incorrect?

bluemax

Banned
A serious question: I know very little about basketball. My general and very uneducated understanding is that college basketball is viewed as more team-centric, while the NBA is more store driven. Is that incorrect?

Walmart truly is the driving force behind the modern NBA.

rdrr gnr

Why do all athletes get communications degrees
Probably a combination of factors. Comm programs in a variety of schools often require the least amount units in order to graduate, much of the foundational material of comm is laughably commonsensical, intro level courses are a fucking joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom