• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Renner to produce an "Ant-Man" film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

JEREMY RENNER To Co-Produce ‘An ANT-MAN Film'... Wait, What?

Somewhat buried towards the end of a recent Deadline interview with Jeremy Renner and his The Combine producing partner Don Handfield about the Avengers actor's burgeoning other role as a director and producer was a surprising reference to what if taken literally is a future Marvel Studios film.

Here is the full quote by Handfield, in response to Deadline writer Matt Grobar's question to Renner, ”What are your future ambitions, on both sides of the camera?"

"Jeremy gets in these big franchises and he disappears for six to nine months. We started this company to be able to make movies together, so as he gets out of Avengers, we're excited to really do what we always intended to do with the company," Handfield responded after Renner replied. "We have a couple other things coming out, a TV series for the History Channel that's coming out called Knightfall, we have an Ant-Man film we're going to announce in the next few days, in a partnership with two other companies."

Grobar confirmed for Newsarama Handfield's remarks were reported accurately. So the question becomes what did Handfield mean by ”we have an Ant-Man film we're going to announce in the next few days."

The first and perhaps most logical interpretation is he meant a humorous, action heist film in the vein or spirit of Marvel's Ant-Man, though that'd be something of an esoteric reference, as despite being well-received Ant-Man doesn't enjoy a high profile imprint on Hollywood as an example of the genre, not to mention the oddity of the choice of reference considering Renner's relationship with the MCU.

The second explanation is Renner's The Combine is co-producing the next Ant-Man film, 2018's Ant-Man and the Wasp directed by Peyton Reed (reportedly to begin production in June), or is co-producing a future other Ant-Man film.

While of course all Marvel Studios films have multiple producers, no MCU actor including A-listers Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson or Benedict Cumberbatch have received a producer's credit. Only Jon Favreau, who directed Iron Man 1 & 2 and is credited as a producer of the Avengers films, has acted in an MCU movie and given a producer's credit.

Newsarama also cannot find a history of Marvel Studios taking on independent production company partners in the same way Warner Bros.'s DC films do.

That all said, the reference does coincide with comments Renner and Ant-Man co-star Michael Douglas have made about wanting to appear together in a Marvel film.

Hawkeye_Antman_Team.gif

Slayven

Disney needs all the help they can get. They've been struggling for a while now.

Yeah this is probably the movie equivalent of letting your kid sit behind the wheel of the car while it is in the driveway. He is not doing anything but he is having fun

Busty

Banned
I heard that Renner makes more flipping houses in the LA area than he does making films.

Think about that.

Being a famous film actor is his side gig.

That's franchise (aka all studio) film making for you.

johnsmith

remember me
I heard that Renner makes more flipping houses in the LA area than he does making films.

Think about that.

Get him a show on HGTV stat!

Think about that.

I mean.

Real estate in LA is probably fucking ridiculously expensive.

Not that hard to see how it's worth more.

This dude has been boring as shit in marvel and mission impossible but so good in Louie and the town

Wish he played more scumbag roles. He's bland as the nice guy

Doesn't really have the look for it either

Hawkeye is one of my favorites, but I don't need him in Antman. Give that time to Wasp.

Get Hawkeye an arc on AoS (yeah right) or do a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie.

Slayven

I realize its dumb to question a shot where a guy shoots an arrow through multiple buildings with dead on accuracy while a man who can change his size riding atop it but that uppercut doesn't make much sense.

People should read up on Hawkeye, the real Hawkeye, not that Fraction bullshit. Clint can do shit that makes Bullseye say "Goddamn"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People should read up on Hawkeye, the real Hawkeye, not that Fraction bullshit. Clint can do shit that makes Bullseye say "Goddamn"

I'm not talking about Hawk Eye but the uppercut from Ant Man. It just looks very weird considering the arrow is flying in a totally different direction than the uppercut he throws and none of the speed or momentum effects his motion.

Then again these Marvel animated movies has some piss poor production values. I watched the Dr. Strange one on Netflix and there is a shot of him signing his signature and the pen doesn't even bother to try and follow the signature as its being written in the slightest. Like literally it just bobs up and down a bit.

Zoe

Think about that.

God damn. $7 million house to $24 million.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Think about that.

That's seriously impressive. Him and Vanilla Ice should get a reality show together.

NewDust

It totally makes sense. Jeremy has 1, some pretty good acting jobs on his resume, but I feel (or rather he feels) is under used (read under payed) in the marvel series. And 2, already has started some production efforts. This is his chance to get a better grasp of the MCU without directly overshooting Hawkeyes story importance so far. If he can get some influence this way, totally expect a Hawkeye movie mid 2019.

Dali

Was this any good ?

8c854019159e2d3a622aae73cbd5ff5b.jpg
It adds super powers to the born universe. The super soldier program requires they take pills and a good portion of the movie is about getting the pills once he goes rogue iirc. I didn't think it was very good.

Slayven

It adds super powers to the born universe. The super soldier program requires they take pills and a good portion of the movie is about getting the pills once he goes rogue iirc. I didn't think it was very good.

That would explain why Jason can do such impossible stuff

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was this any good ?

8c854019159e2d3a622aae73cbd5ff5b.jpg

You know, it was okay. Not something I would ever recommend to someone unless it was one of the only options, but there are some decently thrilling set pieces that didn't just rely on CG. Compared to the shitty blockbusters of 2016, I'd even go so far as to say it was "good." Mediocre but inoffensive action thriller with a couple good moments. So basically at the same level as Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom