• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Soule, composer of Elder Scrolls soundtrack, has been accused of rape by Nathalie Lawhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not up on the latest accusation. Is this through actual legal means?

gPPjSUm.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Does this mean I’m not allowed to enjoy playing Skyrim now? /s
Nope, you're not allowed!

You should immediately burn any copy you have. If you have it digitally then you have no option but to destroy your drive and close down your offending account (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or Steam) and create a new one. You would do well not to be associated with that game even in the slightest! Oh and for good measure you should bang your head off a wall until you have brain damage and can't remember ever playing the game.

/s

maybe if that lot over at ResetEra banged their heads off a wall it'd knock some sense into them.

Last edited:
Just read the whole thing. She doesn't.
She didn't even explain her rape accusation properly.

She worked in same company with Jeremy, she started to get close to Jeremy and treated him as her mentor and he helped her figure out stuff as new game dev, gave tips etc. Then they started dining out and Jeremy started to progress relationship. She literally explained that she feared that by refusing him she won't keep the job so she never said no.

And then she said "He raped me" without any explanation how where or anything.

Then like nothing happens she just proceed to explain how she get screwed by her employer multiple times.

To me it looks like standard hooker stuff. She latched on Jeremy, never said no when she clearly knew that Jeremy was interested in her and then acted shocked when Jeremy ignored her.
Typical case of woman who uses bed to progress her carrier.

Also according to her Skyrim music is based on her.

People make great music after a break up.

She makes it sound like they made love to his music and was saying No repeatedly under the sound.

Probably jilted that he was willing to help her but she wanted the easy life.

CrisPy2019

This b1tch raped me. I swear. And guess what even if not I would let the system deal with it. There is a reason we moved on from pitchforks and torches. Isn't this shit illegal ? (Starting a lynchmob?).

It's always the ones noone would fuck in their right mind that scream RAPE. Maybe you just have no clue what sex, rape, etc is or that kissing does not make you pregnant?

Saying no afterwards also does not work.

Cravis

These people do realize that after being raped they should go to the hospital. Rape kits exist for a reason, which is to preserve the evidence.

Sounds to me like they thought sleeping around would get them ahead in their profession and when it didn’t they regret it.

Also why do all these women look the same? Short hair, glasses, piercings, claims of non-binary. Guys need to just stay the F away from anyone that fits that description. Just turn right around and run the other direction. It ain’t worth it. LOL

nush

Gold Member
Also why do all these women look the same? Short hair, glasses, piercings, claims of non-binary. Guys need to just stay the F away from anyone that fits that description. Just turn right around and run the other direction. It ain’t worth it. LOL
Thirsty ass dudes (Beta cuck soyboys), lose their shit for any woman that gives them attention not having learned the lesson of "Don't stick your dick in crazy". That's why these women are available to them as regular dudes know to stay clear. These type women know they have a mark as well.

Ulysses 31

Thirsty ass dudes (Beta cuck soyboys), lose their shit for any woman that gives them attention not having learned the lesson of "Don't stick your dick in crazy". That's why these women are available to them as regular dudes know to stay clear. These type women know they have a mark as well.
Beta cuck is actually a clothing line... :ROFLMAO:

iu

CrisPy2019

MY
These people do realize that after being raped they should go to the hospital. Rape kits exist for a reason, which is to preserve the evidence.

Sounds to me like they thought sleeping around would get them ahead in their profession and when it didn’t they regret it.

maybe that is what is happening and those poor excuses of "hupeople" say things like "I got raped" so they have at least an imaginary sex life that's worth talking about?

Rhysser

Banned
I only have limited experience with people who have been victims of rape (Without wanting to go into too much detail, I know a rape victim very well and see that person regularly) and I had also limited dealings with the support group of that person, which is made up of people with similar experiences and two psychologists. The trouble and problems that they have to overcome and deal with are so basic, that shouting it out loud in public, and specifically on the internet, is the last of their intentions and worries. I had asked about this once (as tactful as I could) and was basically told that "this doesn't help repairing the damage that is done (which one person said, is basically irrepairable) and won't help avoid those things." In fact, there was a common underline of using the established institutions correctly. Many vicitms stay silent and don't go the necessary institutions (again, because they have more basic troubles to deal with). Circumventing them by shouting about it (without evidence) is seen fairly negatively by those people I have spoken to. But again, that's a limited sample size. Maybe the majority of real victims disagrees and approves of public lynchings like that. I don't, however.

So, most of them don't take any sides here (except for their own, maybe) because it's not where the battlefield is, as I understand it. And having seen how broken someone can be by being a victim of a crime like this is not only terrifying but one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen. I really do struggle putting it into words.

As for why people commit crimes like that, I don't know. I am not a psychologist, so I can only speculate. But I believe that rather than make everyone fear lynch mob "justice" and thus stifle any open discussions (remember, they will lynch you for even not using the correct pronouns), it is better to look at this from the long-term, IMHO: Usually some parameters in the upbringing of a perpetrator are off (maybe unstable family environment, maybe one of the parents did the same thing to the perpetrator, etc.). That's the real problem. And that's where discussion and solutions should focus on and that's what the people whom I have spoken to hinted at. Ask for the "why?" and try to fix that. But one common characteristic that I could observe was that they weren't really vengeful.

I am certainly not saying nor advocating that we should sweep the issue under the rug, far from it. What I would like to have is a reasonable environment to discuss this in, like a normal issue. You don't help anyone by entering the room screaming and pointing fingers. It is far more helpful to come in prepared, hear all the arguments, make your own arguments and try to come to a solution. And my personal belief is that this can be done within the systems that are already established.

Don't know if any of this makes sense or if this answers your question. Sorry if it doesn't.

It does, and I don't think we are too far apart. I too have similar experiences and as you say, it is heartbreaking what it does to victims. I think where we disagree is about the already established systems being adequate. We've had a very long time to make progress on this through other means, and our progress leaves a lot to be desired. Even today some of the responses I see around these issues indicate that there is a significant misunderstanding of victims and the law's practical (not imagined) ability to help them. I linked an article earlier that talks about why it is that it's so difficult.

At the same time it's not lost on me how equally difficult it is to prove libel cases and how damaging this can be. And I also believe that people shouldn't be forever ruined for their mistakes without at least getting a chance to fix said mistakes, and especially in the minority of cases where those mistakes are driven by mental health issues. Of course, when such issues lead to assault of any kind, you do also have to protect people around them, e.g. their coworkers etc. but I digress.

I think there are two problems here. The first being people making false accusations, and the second being people's overreactions to them. I'm not going to throw the responsibility for this at the feet of of real victims and use it as a way to gag them. We have to do a lot better than that, especially given the history around these issues. And if real victims are turning to social media for justice then that just means the official justice system in place hasn't been capable of helping them, so again, I'm not going to throw this at their feet either. If society doesn't like people doing this, society should offer them a meaningful alternative. If they had, I suspect people would be using that instead of Twitter.

I think it's good that reports like these are now flooding the public consciousness, and it's only happening because of social media, despite the fact that this also causes some pain. At the end of it we'll probably come out in a better place though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think it's good that reports like these are now flooding the public consciousness, and it's only happening because of social media, despite the fact that this also causes some pain. At the end of it we'll probably come out in a better place though.
This is some "for the greater good" ideological blindness, friend.

A mob is a mob.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Talking about something doesn't make you responsible for the mob. The mob is responsible for the mob, not people who have been raped or assaulted.
This is a non-sequitur response. You said this conversation "is only happening because of social media", while handwaving that fact that this behavior "causes some pain".

Do you believe yelling "fire!" in a crowded room would also be the fault of the resulting mob, or is that on the person doing the yelling? This conversation is rather old and you're not the first to make excuses for mob action.

Rhysser

Banned
This is a non-sequitur response. You said this conversation "is only happening because of social media", while handwaving that fact that this behavior "causes some pain".

Do you believe yelling "fire!" in a crowded room would also be the fault of the resulting mob, or is that on the person doing the yelling? This conversation is rather old and you're not the first to make excuses for mob action.

Try as you might, you're not going to succeed in pidgeonholing me into whatever view you find easier to argue against on such a complex issue. I'm not handwaving it, I'm in fact acknowledging it. Practically everything has both a positive and negative effect. Maybe we should stop doing scientific research because nuclear weapons are a thing? It's inevitable after all.

The"fire" example is actually a great one. If there IS a fire in a theater yes, you should yell it out. Just like victims who have been raped. If there isn't, you shouldn't.

Anyway, this level of conversation is extremely uninteresting. Your choices are to either try to understand opposing views and find the most reasonable ways in which they can be interpreted, or you can have the conversation alone or in your echo chamber of choice. I'll leave that choice to you :)

The mob is responsible for the mob

This is such a dishonest answer that only excuses all the shitty behavior of the individuals that comprise the mob.

Twitter should do something about all of these unfounded accusations they let take place on their platform. If it doesn't drive all their users away it will eventually cost them a ton in libel once a good lawyer figures out the right approach. They can only be the platform of libelous accusations for so long before it catches up. They're already being investigated by the feds and this shit just got escalated with Alec's suicide.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Try as you might, you're not going to succeed in pidgeonholing me into whatever view you find easier to argue against on such a complex issue. I'm not handwaving it, I'm in fact acknowledging it. Practically everything has both a positive and negative effect. Maybe we should stop doing scientific research because nuclear weapons are a thing? It's inevitable after all.
Stick to the topic, if you are capable. I am calling out your excuses for mob action. I disagree with your claim that mob action is good just because it might result in some people coming to some form of "justice". I disagree with your claim that flooding the airwaves with reports is good in spite of "some pain". This is the mob mentality I am talking about. We have laws for a reason, to avoid this kind of thinking.

You are making excuses for injustice and populism. History is absolutely clear on the outcomes of these situations.

The"fire" example is actually a great one. If there IS a fire in a theater yes, you should yell it out. Just like victims who have been raped. If there isn't, you shouldn't.
So you agree that the person who is calling it out is responsible in some part for (a) the claim to be truthful, in order that (b) any potential harm caused was justified by the attempt to protect others. If you don't have (a), then you don't get to hide behind the excuse of (b). If you are lying, then you are responsible. If some people get hurt when trying to flee, you are responsible as well but that tends to be outweighed by the common goodwill we give to people who want to protect others (Good Samaritan laws).

Similarly, if someone calls "rape" on social media and the mob reacts, the person who called it out is responsible in some part (even if their claim is truthful). The thing about responsibility is it goes both ways: when you are responsible you can take credit when you are right but you must also face the blame when you are wrong.

But for some reason, folks who support the social media mob want to take credit for the "good" things (i.e. when a "bad person" is exposed) while not taking responsibility for when they are wrong (i.e. when a good person is unfairly targeted).

Anyway, this level of conversation is extremely uninteresting. Your choices are to either try to understand opposing views and find the most reasonable ways in which they can be interpreted, or you can have the conversation alone or in your echo chamber of choice. I'll leave that choice to you :)
Fleeing so early? The conversation was just getting started. If you're incapable of keeping up, just say so.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Oh I've interpreted your opposing view alright. I've interpreted that you're an idiot for continuing to support this idea that people should make rape accusations without proof.

Hasn't Alec Holowka's suicide proven what happens when shit like this gets out of control? Don't come crying to me with these hypothetical rape victims you like to parade around to prove your point. Zoe Quinn's accusation on Twitter and Alec Holowka's death because of it is fact. That's all the proof I need to know your proposal is monstrous.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm incapable of keeping up.

We good now? Can I get back to talking with people who have more interesting contributions to make?
I'm directly addressing your contributions and you're unable to back them up. If your aim is to engage with the "interesting contributions", you sure are working really hard to do the exact opposite.

To the point: you already agree that the person who calls the mob to action is responsible. After all, you wouldn't justify the mob action as necessary and good if you didn't think the callout needed to be done.

The missing piece, however, is that you want to flee any responsibility when that mob action goes wrong. Thing is, mob action is always bound to go wrong, at one point or another. This is not a new conversation nor a new social issue.

When you have taken some time to read history, feel free to make some "interesting contributions" of your own. Until then, you're just another forum user with too much time and too little attention being paid. My sympathies.

Rhysser

Banned
I'm directly addressing your contributions and you're unable to back them up. If your aim is to engage with the "interesting contributions", you sure are working really hard to do the exact opposite.

To the point: you already agree that the person who calls the mob to action is responsible. After all, you wouldn't justify the mob action as necessary and good if you didn't think the callout needed to be done.

The missing piece, however, is that you want to flee any responsibility when that mob action goes wrong. Thing is, mob action is always bound to go wrong, at one point or another. This is not a new conversation nor a new social issue.

When you have taken some time to read history, feel free to make some "interesting contributions" of your own. Until then, you're just another forum user with too much time and too little attention being paid. My sympathies.

The reason I didn't find your contribution interesting is not because you weren't addressing my points, but because you were doing it with such a sledgehammer approach that it just isn't interesting to talk about. It's too coarse-grained to be interesting, since that level of coarseness has already been talked to death 1000 times and doesn't need to be repeated for the 1001st time. Yelling "fire" in a crowded room? Really? That's somehow a thing that hasn't been discussed a billion times? "This is some "for the greater good" ideological blindness, friend. A mob is a mob. " ? Is this something worth responding to in a serious way even?

Step up your game.

Last edited:
The reason I didn't find your contribution interesting is not because you weren't addressing my points, but because you were doing it with such a sledgehammer approach that it just isn't interesting to talk about. It's too coarse to be interesting, since that level of coarseness has already been talked to death 1000 times and doesn't need to be repeated for the 1001st time. Yelling "fire" in a crowded room? Really? That's somehow a thing that hasn't been discussed a billion times? "This is some "for the greater good" ideological blindness, friend. A mob is a mob. " ? Is this something worth responding to in a serious way even?

Step up your game.

You're an absolute moron.

Hellmaker

What if these people would first TRY contacting the police, and if they were actually raped and felt that police didn't react appropriately or react at all, THEN maybe try social media to get some attention to that?

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The reason I didn't find your contribution interesting is not because you weren't addressing my points, but because you were doing it with such a sledgehammer approach that it just isn't interesting to talk about. It's too coarse to be interesting, since that level of coarseness has already been talked to death 1000 times and doesn't need to be repeated for the 1001st time. Yelling "fire" in a crowded room? Really? That's somehow a thing that hasn't been discussed a billion times? "This is some "for the greater good" ideological blindness, friend. A mob is a mob. " ? Is this something worth responding to in a serious way even?

Step up your game.
lol what?

"Guys, the truth is to blunt and honest. That is to much for me. DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi I need you to use softer words that are less coarse"

The reason I didn't find your contribution interesting is not because you weren't addressing my points, but because you were doing it with such a sledgehammer approach that it just isn't interesting to talk about. It's too coarse-grained to be interesting, since that level of coarseness has already been talked to death 1000 times and doesn't need to be repeated for the 1001st time. Yelling "fire" in a crowded room? Really? That's somehow a thing that hasn't been discussed a billion times? "This is some "for the greater good" ideological blindness, friend. A mob is a mob. " ? Is this something worth responding to in a serious way even?

Step up your game.
Complex question fallacy in the form of an Appeal to Ridicule. You have a huge talent of unknowingly combining fallacies without much effort.

You get the "like" emoji.

Once you graduate from philosophy 101 to philosophy 201, you will be eligible for the "thoughtful" emoji. Keep up the great work!
Then that would put you on philosophy -901 if we were to go by relativity.

"Mob action is good because even though 'some pain' will happen, the overall outcomes will be good". A very fine "the ends justify the means" statement. I guess those few suicides and ruined careers aren't that much big of a deal as long as the "victims" "start a conversation".

Starfield

SooooOo...

Are there any new news on this? Seems like people quickly forgot about the rape allegations towards JS during the Alec suicide.

I wonder if he's taken legal action against the accuser

nush

Gold Member
SooooOo...

Are there any new news on this? Seems like people quickly forgot about the rape allegations towards JS during the Alec suicide.

I wonder if he's taken legal action against the accuser
I believe he's made a statement about contacting his lawyer. Nothing since then.

Ravielsk

Neo Member

Why is it that every single one of these "rape victims" always have a major case of ogre face. You would think rapists would go after the young and pretty not the ugly and haggard.
Also correct me if I am wrong did xer file a police report or is this yet again another trial by twitter?

Last edited:
Why is it that every single one of these "rape victims" always have a major case of ogre face. You would think rapists would go after the young and pretty not the ugly and haggard.
Also correct me if I am wrong did xer file a police report or is this yet again another trial by twitter?

Good question. There are way more attractive women out there than the example you gave. I don't think low standards have anything to do with it, but with women who know they fall under the low standards and are feeling way too sorry for themselves. They lack in other words a healthy amount of self worth and self esteem.

And you k'now, appearance is just one thing. If a lot of these people would be interesting people behind their appearance I would have no problem with them. In fact, they might become interesting and even attractive believe it or not. Unfortunately, they are playing the game of "I feel bad about myself, and I want to teach the world a lesson about it".

Maffis

If you get raped by someone who pays you and you don't go to police because you like dollars then you are a hooker and rape didn't occur.
This is such a dangerous and ignorant stance to have over how rape victims behave in crisis. You should study up on how both women and men stay with their abusers because they feel like they have no life outside of the relationship, or are afraid of their lives if they do go to the police.

Komatsu

It does, and I don't think we are too far apart. I too have similar experiences and as you say, it is heartbreaking what it does to victims. I think where we disagree is about the already established systems being adequate. We've had a very long time to make progress on this through other means, and our progress leaves a lot to be desired. Even today some of the responses I see around these issues indicate that there is a significant misunderstanding of victims and the law's practical (not imagined) ability to help them. I linked an article earlier that talks about why it is that it's so difficult.

Hey Rhysser, I agree that throwing everything that happens in this space, where complicated questions of fairness, intimacy etc under the label of "mob rule" can indeed be simplistic. But the reason why the rule of law - flawed as it is - should remain the only acceptable way of resolving these issues is precisely because it's the only way of guaranteeing the safety and autonomy of the most at risk members of society. It's not a coincidence that most of the law scholars upholding the need for due process right now are women of color. They know who gets to suffer when reasonable doubt evaporates and it's not Harvey Weinstein. This is not even really an argument about sexual abuse: once we lower evidentiary standards, it cascades through all aspects of the criminal justice system.

But I absolutely agree that victims should be respected and given all legal, medical and sexual health support they need in their journey of healing.

This is very gross.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom