• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Grind Radio appreciation thread!

kiryogi

Banned
So, I've recently gotten back into playing this again. It's still pretty damn good, hasn't really aged badly or anything. The art, gameplay, and music is just as fab as it was in 2000. Also, as distasteful as Rob Zombie stuff is, I really love that remixed "Dragula" for Bantam Street,it really gets the mood going.

Now I'm finally replaying for Jet and totally reexperiencing the beauty of this game. I didn't even know I could break into the buildings on Bantam Street, nor could I figure out how to ride those high billboards. But now I'm wallriding real easily now :D This game just kicks ass.

edit: Oh, did it disturb anyone when the assassins in Bantam Street go "Hello Child" o_o;

Gum Powah! (Couldn't find a Cube art sadly :/ )

art02.gif

XS+

Banned
I ragged on JGR at first because the gameplay isn't humongously deep, but there's still a lot of advanced stuff to do like high-speed reverse jumps and wall rides and infinite grinds. I'm also another one that didn't mind the hard rock'n tracks for the 'bad news' theme for the NYC levels, they fit the theme quite well imo.

Either way I declare JGR the overall best game in the Dreamcast library. A must-play.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I ragged on JGR at first because the gameplay isn't humongously deep, but there's still a lot of advanced stuff to do like high-speed reverse jumps and wall rides and infinite grinds.<<<

You can't do infinite grinds because there's a time limit. :p But, I could do 600+ trick combos and still finish the section in certain spots.
It's kind of hard for me to get into the game now, though. JSRF (which I hated for the first few hours and then loved) made it seem like JGR was running in slow-motion.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Please behave children. I'm sure that it isn't unfathomable that someone can like a sequel to a game better than the original or vice-versa.

Alucard

Banned
JGR was one of my most played Dreamcast games. I still go back to it from time to time. I've gotten a Jet rating on every stage and have unlocked everything...I remember learning how to do that one part of Bantam street with the billboard jumps and getting soooo annoyed until I finally had it down cold and said "My God, this is one of the coolest games ever."

Jet Grind Radio, I love you.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Neutron Night said:
How about a JSRF thread, because that game is 34,603 times better. This is a fact.

BAN THIS MAN.

:D

Jet Set Radio was better than JSRF. I loved JSR; played it to DEATH, and while JSRF was great, it couldn't touch the original. I feel like replaying it now.

JSR > JSRF

No. You're an idiot. JSRF is much, much better. Better graphics, better music, better gameplay, better level design, better everything. JGF was a gimmick whose time has passed. JSRF is still spectacular today. Go play Sky Dinosaurian Square, punk.

People complained about it being too difficult (like EGM), but I collected everything and had fun doing it. Maybe I'm just a genius.

Neutron Night said:
How about a JSRF thread, because that game is 34,603 times better. This is a fact.

why don't you start a thread instead of trolling JSR.

Neutron Night said:
No. You're an idiot. JSRF is much, much better. Better graphics, better music, better gameplay, better level design, better everything. JGF was a gimmick whose time has passed. JSRF is still spectacular today. Go play Sky Dinosaurian Square, punk.

People complained about it being too difficult (like EGM), but I collected everything and had fun doing it. Maybe I'm just a genius.

You're the idiot. Sky Dinosaurian Square is dull. The whole game is previcated on platforming and not much else. I didn't find it hard. It was just REALLY boring. The only reason if any why this game still gets used is for the JUkebox feature

People said JSRF was difficult? Who, where? the game was piss easy. JSRF is horribly mediocre. Boring gameplay, boring soundtrack, zero story, messy level design, and absolutely none of the personality the original had.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The hell is wrong with simply observing other people's opinions and accepting them? While I disagree with TheGreenGiant, I understand his points and will see if I can view it from his angle. I'm a big fan of JSRF but people have issues with it and their opinions are absolutely valid.

bjork

I love the artwork and music from there games, but I couldn't get into JGR because levels felt cramped to me. It seemed like, even though it's a fantasy situation, streets wouldn't be that narrow and staircases wouldn't be that small.

In all fairness though, I only played JGR for about five hours total, so I can't say I gave it a really good chance to wow me. Got JSRF and only played it for about an hour, but I enjoyed the small bit of that I played more, so I don't know...

ourumov

JSR is still the king...I would like to make a based-game for whatever platfform...I liked the cool ambience of the first one...Specially the Night City...
Deffinitelly one of my most loved games.
I even bought JSRF despite not even having the intention of buying a XBOX....

I really think Sega should give JSR another go. Beef up the trick system a bit, marry the openness of JSRF with missions to replicate the against the clock, score based JSR and then market it, emphasising the whole graffiting, lawbreaking nature and ride the crime 'em up wave.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Neutron Night said:

It's really too bad I'm not a moderator any more. :p

----

Banned
JSRF was much better.

What's better in JGR? The tiny environments in JGR? The lack of a giant game world to explore? The annoying time limits in JGR? The terrible control in JGR? The pathetically slow characters in JGR? The lack of boost or trick functions in JGR? JGR looks and plays terrible after you play through JSRF. You can't go back. I actually wanted to go back to play JGR because I loved the characters and music in this series so much, but I couldn't play the game because it was so horribly outdated. The level design in JSRF was genius. It's still one of the best games I've played on Xbox.

JGR was like a little arcadey experiment that they fleshed out into a full game in JSRF. Comparing JGR to JSRF is like comparing Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros.

Lyte Edge said:
It's really too bad I'm not a moderator any more. :p

I think I speak for all of us when I say that I wholeheartedly agree. Hopefully you at least still have ties with some of them and can make some magic happen? :(

What's better in JGR?

The Music and the grafitti system. When it comes down to it though, I have no idea why the hell so many people seem inclined to love one of them and completely hate the other. Can't you all see that both games completely rule?

And by the way, I absolutely love plain old Mario Bros!

The Music and the grafitti system.

1. The music is worse. There were many more good tracks in JSRF.

2. The graffiti system is worse. Yay, I'm spinning the analog stick in a circle!

That's two inaccuracies in one sentence. That's a Wrongness Density Level of 200%.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Neutron Night there isn't any point to arguing. Some people just prefer the other game to the other. I personally really enjoyed JSRF (can't say I like it more than the original or vice-versa) and I enjoyed the music much more. Other people don't, it doesn't matter. Try to view it from their angle, see why they like the original more than the sequel. Maybe you'll realize a few quality features that the original had that weren't found in the sequel.

I also love plain old Mario Bros but super mario owns you all.

XS+

Banned
Why the complaints over JSR's time limit? The challenge of the game ramps up as the environment switches from a quiet day/night in the city, into utter chaos with all the authorities and adversaries on your ass while racing against time to finish all the tags. It forces you to choose the correct path to run through the particular level without the cops blocking off tagging areas. The time limit is such a small inconvenience I don't understand the point of discussing it.

Saying that, it would have been nice to replay the levels outside of Story mode without a time limit.

----

Banned
XS+ said:
Why the complaints over JSR's time limit? The challenge of the game ramps up as the environment switches from a quiet day/night in the city, into utter chaos with all the authorities and adversaries on your ass while racing against time to finish all the tags. It forces you to choose the correct path to run through the particular level without the cops blocking off tagging areas. The time limit is such a small inconvenience I don't understand the point of discussing it.

Saying that, it would have been nice to replay the levels outside of Story mode without a time limit.
Time limits are not popular anymore because in modern video game design people like to explore the levels and go at their own pace. Time limits are okay for arcade games, not really appropriate for a home console gaming experience though. I probably put something close to 100 hours into JSRF and a tremendous number of hours into most other modern adventure/platformers like Mario 64. That's something you can't really get out of such a small limited game like JGR.

XS+

Banned
Vandalism is a crime, right? Just like a coordinated bank robbery, it's not appropriate or practical to just lollygag at a leisurely pace. A time limit (in Story Mode anyay) reminds you of the urgency to complete the mission, exercise good time management, and stay on your toes before the poopoo hits the fan. That's the way I see things.

And like I said it's a small inconvenience not worth complaining over (OTOH mapping the Tag and Camera commands on the same button is something worth griping about, for example).

---- said:
Time limits are not popular anymore because in modern video game design people like to explore the levels and go at their own pace. Time limits are okay for arcade games, not really appropriate for a home console gaming experience though. I probably put something close to 100 hours into JSRF and a tremendous number of hours into most other modern adventure/platformers like Mario 64. That's something you can't really get out of such a small limited game like JGR.

That's why I think they should rip off GTA, and do a city that's free to explore lie JSRF, but then, chuck in missions/challenges that would replicate the more arcadey nature of JSR. Best of both worlds.

That's providing they ever do a sequel of course.

Cube and Mew/Ryth Power!

I still love JSR and I can't understand so many of my friends not liking it, or SC5.<shrug>

I like JSRF a lot too, its still fun. :p

Mason

I love JGR. I would have to say it's probably one of my favorite games of all-time. The music, gameplay, style, everything is just excellent.

I didn't like JSRF as much because the music wasn't as good and I didn't feel the whole "futuristic vibe." It seemed like they were ripping off the first more than extending the series.

But much love to JGR.

BTW, if someone can hook me up with hi-res JGR character art, I would be eternally grateful. I used to have some that I made some wallpapers with, but that was on my old hard drive that crashed. :(

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention the awesome JGR commercial. That's one of my favs of all-time as well.

I honestly missed the time limit in JSRF. It gave the game a sense of urgency, I guess. JSRF could have likely mantained this if they left the enemies in the stages, but instead the left them till the end and isolated them into very small areas. Something about spending unlimited amounts of time in an area looking for graffiti souls just didn't interest me as much. It felt more like a platformer in the vein of Mario than what I was expecting in a sequel to JGR.

Still a good game, but I absolutely loved the original. Hideki Naganuma is a god in that game in particular. JSRF's music didn't grab me as much.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I honestly missed the time limit in JSRF. It gave the game a sense of urgency, I guess. JSRF could have likely mantained this if they left the enemies in the stages<<<<

IAWTP. (the enemies giving the game more of a sense of urgency, NOT missing the time limit)
I also thought that they should have kept the old grafitti system for the ground-level tags.
Still, even without those two things that I think would have improved it, I enjoyed it more than the original. (which I loved)

While we're talking about JGR/JSRF, can anyone tell me why SEGA had to change the word "Set" to "Grind" in the original, but they were able to put "Set" in the sequel? Also, would anyone here have prefered they kept "Grind" if nothing, but for continuity? It seems kind of strange going from, Jet "Grind" Radio, to Jet "Set" Radio. BTW,

JGR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JSRF!!!!

I actually preferred the Japanese Title.. Jet Set Radio to Jet Grind Radio. I think its got to do with the the rhyming Jet and Set.

Anyway.. way brilliant title. 10/10

pilonv1

I always thought it was to cash in on the massive Tony Hawks popularity of the time. My PAL copy is Jet Set Radio, so it was only for NA.

Mason

I remember reading something about wanting to make sure the "skating" part of the game was prominently represented in the title.

teepo

after playing jsrf, going back to jsr was very very very very painful. but for its time, jsr was the betteer game.

and the soundtrack to jsrf had much more variety and rocked on a 5.1 sound system. don't know why so many people hated the music in the game.

callous

I completed Jet Set Radio when it first came out and recently played through it again. It is every bit as beautiful and addictive now as it was back then. I still think the jumping is a little bit too floaty and there's quite a lot of frustration involved, but overall I'd probably still rank it as one of the very best games of this generation.

Top Bottom