• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD Trailer

Yuripaw

Banned
Call me crazy, but I've always like JSRF more. I did play that one a lot more, even though I was a big dreamcast fan. I just never got into the original JSR as much.

Part of my love for the sequel might have something to do with this song also...probably my favorite track from either game ^_^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4IEV8l-gA

Suairyu

Banned
If they can't get all the music, maybe they could offer a custom soundtrack option, so we could add the music ourselves?
Isn't it a requirement of being a 360 game that you play nice with custom soundtracks? And modding the PC version will be a cinch. Only the PS3 game will be sticking point.

Mœbius

Man, this game and the soundtrack brings back so many good memories. I actually went to the only gig Guitar Vader played outside of Japan, must be about eight years ago, in Brighton.

Picked up this shirt at the show and still wear it proudly today.

I832Sl.jpg

UrbanRats

Call me crazy, but I've always like JSRF more. I did play that one a lot more, even though I was a big dreamcast fan. I just never got into the original JSR as much.

Part of my love for the sequel might have something to do with this song also...probably my favorite track from either game ^_^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4IEV8l-gA

I also like JSRF more.
Bigger world, more characters, longer campaign, multiplayer..
But i also understand some of the critiques, the gameplay was much faster and dynamic, but lost some strategizing for it, and the colors were generally more oppressive, with less use of the primary ones.

Call me crazy, but I've always like JSRF more.

I agree, as much as i love JSR, i found JSRF a much more enjoyable experience to actually play, mainly because of the Xbox controller, so much more comfortable than DC controller, and a refined camera view, so many times on JSR the flaky camera caused me to fail a task.

Also, removing the timed levels meant you could actually take your time to explore the amazing environments and not feel under pressure to complete the stage, because some of the levels in JSRF are a thing of beauty.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really hope Miller Ball Breakers will make it in, it's my favorite track in the game.

I love both games, but easily love JSRF more.

Anybody dismissing it over JSR obviously didn't get too far in the game.

On level design, pacing, gameplay, and visuals it easily owns JSR.

Bring JSRF HD out this time next year!

Suairyu

Banned
Guys stop making this and every JSRHD thread a JSR vs JSRF debate. We've had the argument at least twice in this very thread so far.

I swear you're worse than PokéGAF arguing over which generation had the best Pokémon designs.

Pyrrhus

So I guess they've now confirmed that the game is only going to have half its soundtrack when it comes out. That's going to make the music even more repetitive.

So I guess they've now confirmed that the game is only going to have half its soundtrack when it comes out. That's going to make the music even more repetitive.

No, they've only confirmed that they have about 70% of the original music and are going after the other 30%, since most of the previous licenses have changed hands over the years and it's a bitch and a half tracking all of the new holders down.

FLEABttn

Banned
No, they've only confirmed that they have about 70% of the original music and are going after the other 30%, since most of the previous licenses have changed hands over the years and it's a bitch and a half tracking all of the new holders down.

Maybe they should ask Amazon. They're clearly paying somebody for sold Deavid Soul MP3's.

That Joystiq article listed Electric Toothbrush as one of the songs that was coming back. If it actually got cut I'd be bummed, probably my favorite song from JSR.

Any of Deavid Soul's tracks mixed into Electric Tooth Brush was fucking godly in-game. I felt untouchable the moment Tooth Brush started.

RooMHM

I agree, as much as i love JSR, i found JSRF a much more enjoyable experience to actually play, mainly because of the Xbox controller, so much more comfortable than DC controller, and a refined camera view, so many times on JSR the flaky camera caused me to fail a task.
Wow. I find the Dreamcast controller perfectly fine and the xbox one awful personally. Thank god it changed for the 360.
I'd like to play JSRF... on PC... please :(

FreeMufasa

Man, this game and the soundtrack brings back so many good memories. I actually went to the only gig Guitar Vader played outside of Japan, must be about eight years ago, in Brighton.

Picked up this shirt at the show and still wear it proudly today.

I832Sl.jpg

So lucky. Wish I had went.

Shut up.

No seriously. Shut up.

It's always funny to me that the people saying it should be remembered are people that never liked it in the first place. I liked it in the first place, and I loved it when I just replayed through the game over and over again recently.

But no Deavid Soul would make me cry. He's got 5 songs in the Japanese version, 4 in the US, and they are among the best.

-PXG-

Both games are good and can coexist peacefully.

JSR is good, JSRF is just better :)

A true sequel would be a dream come true. I don't think I'd ever live to see that happen though.

mokeyjoe

JSR is the game that took me the longest to complete.

I picked it up again last year and my found my last save was dated 2001. I finished off the last few levels finally! I did think how great it would look in HD but it still looked pretty fine in SD over VGA. To be honest most Dreamcast games still look nice over VGA.

I wonder if liking Jet Set Radio AND Jet Set Radio Future is like meeting yourself in Time Cop, could the universe potentially explode?

I like both

I wonder if liking Jet Set Radio AND Jet Set Radio Future is like meeting yourself in Time Cop, could the universe potentially explode?

I like both

Both have their place in my book, especially for different reasons.

Granted, if I had to choose one, I'd go with the first game solely for the tagging mechanics as I liked seeing how fast I could tag.

But again, both are great games.

Just a personal opinion, but if some songs got cut from the game, I'd accept some of Hideki Naganuma's later compositions as acceptable substitutes.

I'd think something like "The Concept of Love", "Oldies But Happies", "Right There, Ride On" or "What U Need" would fit the original Jet Set Radio just fine, although I've admittedly not played much more than the demo the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave out. Maybe "Wrapped in Black", too, but that might be pushing it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
It's always funny to me that the people saying it should be remembered are people that never liked it in the first place. I liked it in the first place, and I loved it when I just replayed through the game over and over again recently.

But no Deavid Soul would make me cry. He's got 5 songs in the Japanese version, 4 in the US, and they are among the best.
Out of curiosity, which is the missing song from Deavid Soul on the US release? I've got the album Sparkling Music and it'd be neat to know which track was in the Japanese release.

I'd think something like "The Concept of Love", "Oldies But Happies", "Right There, Ride On" or "What U Need" would fit the original Jet Set Radio just fine, although I've admittedly not played much more than the demo the Official Dreamcast Magazine gave out. Maybe "Wrapped in Black", too, but that might be pushing it.

Oh yes! The music in Sonic Rush was fantastic even if the game was 'meh'.

Heck, they could even include Sonic as a playable character!

Smilebit's gone. It wouldn't be the same. :(

I've always wondered if Smile Burger was some kind of tribute to Smilebit as some of its team member were absorbed into the Yakuza team:

smileburger.jpg

There is a Smile Burger chain in Japan, but afaik it is in Kyoto (not Tokyo) and uses different font and symbol (and features a different menu) than the one in Yakuza.

I just suddenly realized how much I miss playing JSRF.

Was listening to Sparkling Music on my train ride home. Just hearing the sounds in Miller Ball Breakers made me realize how synonymous that song is with JSR for me.

Whenever I see tags around SF, I keep thinking if they're wearing rollerblades too.

I miss playing both games for different reasons (tagging/challenges in JSR and free-roaming, scope of level in JSRF); music is godly in both.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I missed the soundtrack news when it was announced a week or so ago.

It's an absolute pain in the arse that Sega can't get their finger out and at least license the Deavid Soul stuff. That's five tracks right there.

Sparkling Music is up on iTunes at a bargain price. It can't be a money issue.

I can understand stuff from Jurassic 5 and Rob Zombie missing but I won't let them get away with leaving out Deavid Soul.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The missing music is honestly kind of a dealbreaker for me. I love the hell out of Sega for putting forth the effort to rerelease such an awesome game, but man... the soundtrack is such a part of the experience that it's really gonna bug me to have stuff missing. I'll probably still buy the game as a show of support, since it's hardly Sega's fault, but it's disappointing.

raven777

This will be another title that I missed out in the past, but will get chance to finally try it. Like how I missed out on ICO from PS2, so I played it on HD collection.

It looks good on the trailer, but I can't get the grip of what type of game it is.

UrbanRats

This will be another title that I missed out in the past, but will get chance to finally try it. Like how I missed out on ICO from PS2, so I played it on HD collection.

It looks good on the trailer, but I can't get the grip of what type of game it is.

It's an action arcade game.
You skate around various areas, in a non linear fashion, and have to place graffiti in predetermined spots.
To place a graffiti, you have to perform a few moves with the analog stick, so it takes some time (the bigger the graffiti, the more moves you have to perform) and you have several "foes" tailing you, trying to stop you.
This is the basic gameplay, then there are races with other skaters and stuff.

Top Bottom