• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JeuxVideo.fr reports that I Am Alive is 2011, DD (XBLA/PSN) only

BadSanta

Didn't find the info, so I post it.

In this video (around 10'), we learn that the game has been worked on by several dev studios and Ubisoft don't believe that much in the title so they will release it on digital platforms (PS360 for sure, no word on the PC) only, this year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let's see, the game has been in development for years upon years at multiple developers, and Ubisoft is known for huge budgets, so I imagine it had to cost at least $20-$30+ million.

Well, at least they can be known for having the most expensive to make XBLA/PSN game.

Pooya

The game was supposed to be retail game, how they are going to fit it in 2GB xbla limit then?
I mean after all these years, whatever they made, must be bigger than 2gb, no? :p
sounds like the project was a train wreck.

ArjanN

Prophet Steve said:
I do not know whether this is good or bad news. It seem Ubisoft does not have a lot of trust in the title.

Given ubi's track record lately that might be a good thing.

Hell, plenty of downloadable titles this gen were better than regular releases.

And given the title of the game this might make a good replacement 'forever delayed' game once Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

StuBurns

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
So more-or-less Jade wasted lots of time and development money on downloadable title?
More like Ubisoft made it seem like Raymond had anything to do with it so you'd remember it's name years after seeing nothing.

I know Ubi had problem with the game... it have been so long since the announcement and we heard almost nothing ever since.

well... at less it's coming out.

Zapages

If this is getting released... I wonder when will we hear about the new PoP 3DS game and PoP 2008 Sequel that has been in the works since forever.

StuBurns

Banned
Zapages said:
If this is getting released... I wonder when will we hear about the new PoP 3DS game and PoP 2008 Sequel that has been in the works since forever.
2008 really wasn't very long ago.

Dr Zhivago said:
I was starting to think it was going to be secretly tied in to Assassin's Creed, taking place after
Desmond fails.

This. What a wasted opportunity by Ubi....

Unless that was the plan all along, but the game is of such poor quality they've decided to cut their losses and release it at as minimal of cost as possible.

Kafel

Banned
butter_stick said:
All Ubi have to do is throw a budget at something and it'll sell. Look at AC1.

KPj2t.png

butter_stick said:
All Ubi have to do is throw a budget at something and it'll sell. Look at AC1.
AC1 was an amazing concept with mass appeal, cool-looking gameplay (even if it didn't click with everyone) coupled with great art and production values. I Am Alive is ostensibly a first person game in which you don't shoot things. It has less mass appeal than Mirror's Edge, which had a massive marketing budget and still didn't sell until it hit the bargain bins.

Jay Sosa

Whats so bad that it's DD? Lots of awesome games this gen (and most importantly some of the most innovative) were download only.

Jay Sosa said:
Whats so bad that it's DD? Lots of awesome games this gen (and most importantly some of the most innovative) were download only.
Because it was originally considered a full game. So they probably had to remove a lot of stuff and it seems there is little trust in the game.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
AC1 was an amazing concept with mass appeal, cool-looking gameplay (even if it didn't click with everyone) coupled with great art and production values. I Am Alive is ostensibly a first person game in which you don't shoot things. It has less mass appeal than Mirror's Edge, which had a massive marketing budget and still didn't sell until it hit the bargain bins.

is it first person?

Kafel

Banned
Jay Sosa said:

There's nothing wrong about DD. What's worrying is the number of devs who've worked on this.

Sho_Nuff82 >> good comparison with Mirror's Edge, hopefully this game is as good as EA's and the lower price point helps.

Jay Sosa

Prophet Steve said:
Because it was originally considered a full game. So they probably had to remove a lot of stuff and it seems there is little trust in the game.

They could release it in episodes..

At least it's not getting shelved completely.

obonicus

Nirolak said:
Let's see, the game has been in development for years upon years at multiple developers, and Ubisoft is known for huge budgets, so I imagine it had to cost at least $20-$30+ million.

Even in Shanghai?

feel

Still interested. I don't remember really liking any Ubi game this gen (they usually start strong and then become tedious garbage for me after a few hours), so it would be pretty interesting if the one they don't have faith on is the one that finally pleases me all the way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
obonicus said:
Even in Shanghai?
Well, there was the large amount of time it spent getting developed at Darkworks in Paris first.

They are a 100 person team and the game seemed quite far along when it got pulled.

Acosta

It´s interesting how things work, Irem, a company much, much smaller than Ubi, has managed to release three games under a similar premise with pretty decent results and now they have a fourth one in development for PS3, while a giant like Ubisoft struggles to develop even one.

Of course, without knowing the true scope of ambition and design ideas of I am Alive, it´s hardly fair to compare, but I find it funny.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Hasn't it been first person since the original announcement?

Heh, you're right. (it was actually announced as FP last year)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/205355/news/i-am-alive-is-first-person-shooter/

On opting for a first-person view, he adds: "We wanted the player to really feel the power of Mother Nature, to feel the danger coming from the collapsing towers and devastating rifts, feel the chaos happening all around him. There's nothing like a first-person view to create that kind of emotion."

The focus of the I Am Alive will be on obtaining items necessary for survival, says the producer, such as the water, weapons and ammo - the later of which will be a rare find...

"We encourage the players to use tactics, diversion, and discretion," Goddard says of the game's combat. "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets -- rightfully so, since Chicago has long been a proponent of a ban on guns. How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective. However, you can only aim it at one person, so you have to watch for being flanked."

Top Bottom