• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JeuxVideo.fr reports that I Am Alive is 2011, DD (XBLA/PSN) only

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
obonicus said:
Was it in full development in Paris? I hadn't gotten that impression.
To be honest, I'm not sure.

That said, the entire development process around this game has been pretty shrouded in mystery.

Shiggy

V_Ben said:

Capcom - Lost Mantis
Namco - Time Crisis Adventure
Ubisoft - I Am Alive

When Ubisoft took I Am Alive from Darkworks away, the game was more or less finished. In December 2008, it was still slated for March 2009, in January it was delayed till June and then it was taken completely away as Ubisoft was not satisfied with the results (and that only shortly before release...).
Then Shanghai did some work...and retooled the game completely...new engine, gameplay and everything.

Radogol

Some of you may be interested to know that the current Associate Creative Director at Ubisoft Shanghai was Lead Designer on The Witcher.

Woah, reading the thread title I assumed that this was some spin off. I cant believe they are cutting a retail game up into a arcade game.

To be honest, even as a retail game the scope of the game seemed too high. I never understood how it could work. Thats an even bigger problem now that its a arcade game.

A game where you free roamed a devastated city finding supplies and tried to stay alive sounds quite interesting, but I bet the XBLA version will be more like a linear typical game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Radogol said:
Some of you may be interested to know that the current Associate Creative Director at Ubisoft Shanghai was Lead Designer on The Witcher.

wow

I hope this leads to good games.

luffeN

Shiggy said:
Capcom - Lost Mantis
Namco - Time Crisis Adventure
Ubisoft - I Am Alive

When Ubisoft took I Am Alive from Darkworks away, the game was more or less finished. In December 2008, it was still slated for March 2009, in January it was delayed till June and then it was taken completely away as Ubisoft was not satisfied with the results (and that only shortly before release...).
Then Shanghai did some work...and retooled the game completely...new engine, gameplay and everything.

What do you mean by "took it away"? Did Darkworks sell it or something like that? And why does it take so long to release a nearly finished game? There had to be some serious problems.

Double D

This has been one of those games I have been quietly hyped about. Hopefully this goes the 'Shadow Complex' route and turns out awesome.

Shiggy

banKai said:
What do you mean by "took it away"? Did Darkworks sell it or something like that? And why does it take so long to release a nearly finished game? There had to be some serious problems.

Darkworks had finished "their" version of the game but Ubisoft wanted it to take an entirely different direction only months before release. That's when Ubisoft handed the project to a different studio, Ubisoft Shanghai. They first tried to build upon what they got from Darkworks but soon faced more issues.
It's one of the "few" Ubisoft games that lack direction and focus early on...other examples are Red Steel 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Prince of Persia and many more. Ubisoft apparently has some huge planning and concepting deficits.

AAK

Jade Raymond is still doing games? I remember hearing somewhere she quit the industry after that whole comic fiasco.

Menelaus said:

Why would she quit over that?

I assumed the 'comic fiasco' would be something she did wrong. If anything the guys that wrote the comic are the idiots that should be giving up lol.

I mean sure, the hype train for Assassins Creed was huge, but lets be honest, its not like the Bungie staff/ CliffyB/ Hideo Kojima havent done the same sort of marketing. Assassins Creed picked up hype because it seemed so unique and interesting. Not because Jade was the person in the videos marketing it.

StuBurns

Banned
sam27368 said:
That's a fucking lame comic. She's obviously good at her job, her output has released some good games.
At that point she had done The Sims Online and Assassin's Creed, no, she hadn't.

The point of the comic isn't that she isn't talented either.

sam27368

Banned
StuBurns said:
At that point she had done The Sims Online and Assassin's Creed, no, she hadn't.

The point of the comic isn't that she isn't talented either.

In your opinion. Assassins Creed was successful and profitable. It had its flaws, but I can think of a lot of games that are a lot worse.

StuBurns

Banned
sam27368 said:
In your opinion. Assassins Creed was successful and profitable. It had its flaws, but I can think of a lot of games that are a lot worse.
And your post that she had made good games wasn't an opinion?

sam27368

Banned
StuBurns said:
And your post that she had made good games wasn't an opinion?
This is true, I just think she deserves more recognition than she gets. Any developer who makes a profitable product in this industry from a brand new ip deserves some praise.

StuBurns

Banned
sam27368 said:
This is true, I just think she deserves more recognition than she gets. Any developer who makes a profitable product in this industry from a brand new ip deserves some praise.
I think AC is garbage, and I don't think sales are in anyway a reflection of a quality product. But as I said, that comic is not saying she isn't talented, so it's besides the point.

Shiggy

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I remember gamesTM having this on the cover and a huge feature back in... 09?

At that point it was like 2 months away IIRC.

Shiggy

cjelly said:
I remember gamesTM having this on the cover and a huge feature back in... 09?

At that point it was like 2 months away IIRC.

That was the finished but abandoned Darkworks build then ;)

LiquidMetal14 said:
First time seeing that, what a filthy piece. Further invalidates this industry as nothing but immature nerds.
Yeah, politicians, film makers or people in business are never subjected to satire. Fucking nerds! *shakefist*

eshwaaz

I've been holding out hope for this game for ages. I've always liked the premise of Disaster Report, but I found that game miserable and unplayable. I was hoping that I am Alive would realize the potential of the concept but... this doesn't sound good.

exwallst

Expectations were poorly managed here. Had it started as PSN/XBLA and then graduated to retail, the hype would have been working for it.

Zen

Banned
Menelaus said:

Well, I guess that's suppose to be a commentary supporting the viewpoint that Ubisoft exploited Jade Raymond being an attractive woman when it came to promoting their game (I'll refrain from using the obvious and degrading terminology).

But to say that it wasn't questioning her talent is implying one of two things:

That we're talking about the talent shown in the comic/as a talking prop, in which case... ugh

or people missed the part where her contributions to the game are clearly denoted as being nothing but a sex object; heck in the fist panel she can't even say 'creative director'.

I don't think it can get any more clear cut (and repulsive) than that.

On the other hand the author could just be making a commentary on the lack of maturity on the part of people who claimed that she was nothing more than a pretty face... by reflective that lack of maturity into the work itself, and thereby the situation. I mean the audience shown there is pretty pathetic in their own right.

Still... WTF?

butter_stick said:
Yeah, politicians, film makers or people in business are never subjected to satire. Fucking nerds! *shakefist*
The comic was completely uncalled for. All of the attention towards Jade came from forum mouthbreathers who feel the need to troll every moderately attractive woman as a grade-A slut who, despite obviously trading on her looks to gain her current employment, is far below their standards (see Munn, Olivia). "Who does that untalented sharp-kneed bitch think she is smiling in front of the dev team? Stop trying to push your shitty game with this modestly dressed tart Ubi!"

The backlash to Assassin's Creed's promotion was an embarassment for everyone involved. This is why we can't have nice things, etc.

Synless

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The comic was completely uncalled for. All of the attention towards Jade came from forum mouthbreathers who feel the need to troll every moderately attractive woman as a grade-A slut who, despite obviously trading on her looks to gain her current employment, is far below their standards (see Munn, Olivia). "Who does that untalented sharp-kneed bitch think she is smiling in front of the dev team? Stop trying to push your shitty game with this modestly dressed tart Ubi!"

The backlash to Assassin's Creed's promotion was an embarassment for everyone involved. This is why we can't have nice things, etc.
I remember that smiling picture and someone posting a comment along those lines. Was that said here? I think it was.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Shiggy said:
I heard that Darkworks didn't have their shit together in the slightest (missing milestones et al) and turned in something that was genuinely awful/barely playable, far from releasable in any form.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
sam27368 said:
That's a fucking lame comic. She's obviously good at her job, her output has released some good games.

She's a producer, her work has very little to do with the outcome of a game outside of making sure things get done on schedule and milestones. She's not a creative person. The quality of the products that she's worked on has nothing to do with Jade. What she is, as the western definition of a producer, is to make sure the production goes smoothly and make sure the game stays on budget.

To iterate once again, she's not a creative. And you can take that from whenever you see a developer diaries, or advertisement for a game where the producer talks about the game. The producers have very little to do with the game itself.

That's not to say they aren't useful and important in a production but the quality of the game has little to do with them.

Take this from someone who has worked in games, broadcast and film for close to 15 years. (The comic is infantile and uncalled for, and while it's not justified her attention as any sort of creative person on Assassin's Creed is unjustified).

Thunderbear said:
She's a producer, her work has very little to do with the outcome of a game outside of making sure things get done on schedule and milestones. She's not a creative person. The quality of the products that she's worked on has nothing to do with Jade. What she is, as the western definition of a producer, is to make sure the production goes smoothly and make sure the game stays on budget.

To iterate once again, she's not a creative. And you can take that from whenever you see a developer diaries, or advertisement for a game where the producer talks about the game. The producers have very little to do with the game itself.

That's not to say they aren't useful and important in a production but the quality of the game has little to do with them.

Take this from someone who has worked in games, broadcast and film for close to 15 years.

Currently this is more then correct, but the new bunch of producers and creative people coming in the next five years or so will be different. At my Masters education we're being instructed in being more involved with the creative leads as producers. Collaborating, bringing in content, ideas and not being as detached as it has previously been.

Of course it's easy to teach us that, but actually convincing a company to follow through on it is of course a different story, but at least we're being told to do it differently then usual.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

There's plenty of people that are sexist dicks about women, sure. But the joke of the comic is as much the stupid virgin nerds as anyone else. It's unquestionable that Ubisoft used Jade to promote the game because she's attractive, and the comic is parodying that to the point of prostitution. It's such a ridiculous and over the top joke that I have no idea how anybody can seriously be offended by it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
butter_stick said:
There's plenty of people that are sexist dicks about women, sure. But the joke of the comic is as much the stupid virgin nerds as anyone else. It's unquestionable that Ubisoft used Jade to promote the game because she's attractive, and the comic is parodying that to the point of prostitution. It's such a ridiculous and over the top joke that I have no idea how anybody can seriously be offended by it.

It doesn't paint Ubisoft as the whores though, and instead is a direct attack on Raymond herself over a position she likely had no choice being in. I'm not offended by it, mind you, but in the world of satire the joke fails on all levels and instead just comes across as obnoxious and obscene.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Will this come out before or after the new Rayman platformer?

Top Bottom