• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jikan de Phantasia announced - Spiritual successor to Half-Minute Hero

duckroll

http://www.ideaf.co.jp/zikande/
http://gmstar.com/psp/jikandef.html

Jikan de Phantasia is a PSP RPG by Opus Studio, the developers of Half-Minute Hero. In Japan this game is published by Idea Factory, as opposed to MMV. It's billed as a "2D Action RPG" and due on 8th of July 2010 in Japan.

The game is a side scrolling 2D action RPG, which is supposed to be the ultimate game for commuting to work or school. The game allows the player to set a fixed "play time" for each session, and the game generates a full game session for that amount of play time. It generates dungeons, events, boss battles, etc including an ending which can be beaten in that time limit. Male and female player characters are available for selection.

lyre

This faux retro graphical style fad is so irritating.

Either way, here's hoping for a UMD release, assuming this ever comes out in english.

mollipen

lyre said:

Seriously. What the hell was Namco thinking when they released Pac-Man CE? The game totally should have been rendered in high-resolution polygons and elaborate texture-mapped mazes and all of that.

tokkun

duckroll said:
It generates dungeons, events, boss battles, etc including an ending which can be beaten in that time limit. Male and female player characters are available for selection.

Why are people talking about the graphics instead of this incredible-sounding concept.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sonds good. I haven't had the chance of playing Half-Minute Hero yet but the concept of this one is pretty neat and indeed perfect for portable gaming, it just needs the right amount of variety.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
lyre said:

Tell me about it bro. I couldnt stand the art deco fad in the 30's either!

Gattsu25

Banned
duckroll said:
The game is a side scrolling 2D action RPG, which is supposed to be the ultimate game for commuting to work or school. The game allows the player to set a fixed "play time" for each session, and the game generates a full game session for that amount of play time. It generates dungeons, events, boss battles, etc including an ending which can be beaten in that time limit. Male and female player characters are available for selection.
That sounds amazing, actually.

The art style doesn't do a single thing for me, though, and I'm a huge fan of large crisp pixels.

GhaleonQ

I love basically everything about Half-Minute Hero, so this can only be good news. Has that 1 guy who actually invented the idea moved from doujin to professional work?

Also, what's "Jikan" mean?

CamHostage

Luigiv said:
Ooh! The art style is very reminiscent of Cave Story...

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have thought much about the art style in a game like this but I actually like that it has that Master System/TG-16 look to it of deep colors and very specific block designs. I'm in.

So basically it's an entire game based off of Hero 30?

DAY NEGATIVE ONE! Half Minute Hero was worth it solely for that alone.

Spiegel

md15l2.jpg
vxi8o7.jpg
53ajk4.jpg
24v66ab.jpg
zl3ihh.jpg
xd6sy8.jpg
2ymszmd.jpg
xdgrp2.jpg
2nta610.jpg
oi6c7d.jpg
14ngthl.jpg
rwp24w.jpg
33p9bhd.jpg
9astbs.jpg

pretty nice. really like the idea of setting your own playtime, especially in RPGs where sometime it's really hard to play for a long time-span (at least to me).

eXistor

I've only recently gotten HMH and fallen in love with it, so this is an automatic buy if it gets localized.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Holy shit, this has the potential to be Game of Forever for me.

Procedurally Generated 2D Side Scrolling Action RPG? *quivers with excitement*

GhaleonQ

Princess Skittles said:
Holy shit, this has the potential to be Game of Forever for me.

Procedurally Generated 2D Side Scrolling Action RPG? *quivers with excitement*

It's the kind of thing games writers get excited about, so hopefully it and Half-Minute Hero get the attention they deserve this time.

GhaleonQ

Blu_LED said:
I still think $20 is a little much for HMH. I know it's packed with content, but I just can never get myself to drop a $20 on it.

At some point, "the best experience on the system" is reason enough to make the jump. And, yeah, they made sure it wasn't a trifle. AND THE SOUNDTRACK! Seriously, just do it.

bon

Blu_LED said:
I still think $20 is a little much for HMH. I know it's packed with content, but I just can never get myself to drop a $20 on it.
$20 is a good price. It's a longer game than you probably think.

Bento

:D

Loving the visuals and the character design is pretty sweet. I have faith in the gameplay as Opus Studio have proven themselves with Half Minute Hero, I hope they're able to carry over the charming atmosphere and funny writing from that game to this.

Top Bottom