• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and the denigration of Playstation.

Alright, time to attract personal insults by a whose who of celebrity gaf posters once again.

I'm sorry but imo a stinking chunk of your post is a pile of bullshit. I'm so uninterested in all your fucking innuendo about "SJW" ruining games.. I'm sick of all the triggered opinions held by the hardasses and edgelords here.. duke nukem was a shitter, more offensive, more sexually obvious character than anyone in fucking TLOU2, to name just one.

If i have to choose between a world of wankers who think Duke is a god amongst men and TLOU2 is a catastrophe of minority rights getting a fair say, and a world where people just don't give a shit about perfectly fun IPs reflecting the growing slice of the public consciousness certain minorities are claiming, I'll choose the second world just so i wouldn't have to hear all this repetitive copy paste acronym laden bullshit coming from you thindicks.

You guys wanna be critical of Ryan? I AGREE WITH YOU, i do agree that a lot of games are increasingly Western - they're great fun, just not so culturally distinct anymore - and losing the creator of Soulsborne is really stupid.

But don't fucking drip your triggered intolerant ignorant snot in my Christmas pudding.

Peace out.

Typical Biden voter

Papacheeks

Banned
As we know, Playstation has been a brand where it has had many games, especially original and unique games.

These times have unfortunately changed since this nefarious man named Jim Ryan arrived.

670615.jpg

This idiot is not interested in the Japanese market, nor its productions, he has completely destroyed such a wonderful studio as Japan Studio, he has turned Playstation games into Hollywood products, with a denigration in the sagas, productions that have put the SWJ , where wonderful games like The last of us, have been decayed in a sequel that is not up to the first game.

The decadent way in which he treats Japanese productions, not to say discriminatory, the fact of censoring Japanese games for nonsense, but respecting the rawness of animal cruelty in The last of us Part II, as well as its sexual scenes, this wants say the great denigration it has towards the free artistic style of Japanese productions.

This stupid Jim Ryan has made dire decisions, launching the ps5 console in times of pandemic where not only does it not have games that sell consoles, but there are also no Next-Gen productions, and the limited availability of consoles that exist.

Poor hardware quality on PS5 where there have been problems with yellow cases on some models or freezes.

Total repudiation of this person for his foolish decisions

God, people like you should not be able to make threads. Do some research on jim Ryan first.

assurdum

Banned
As we know, Playstation has been a brand where it has had many games, especially original and unique games.

These times have unfortunately changed since this nefarious man named Jim Ryan arrived.

670615.jpg

This idiot is not interested in the Japanese market, nor its productions, he has completely destroyed such a wonderful studio as Japan Studio, he has turned Playstation games into Hollywood products, with a denigration in the sagas, productions that have put the SWJ , where wonderful games like The last of us, have been decayed in a sequel that is not up to the first game.

The decadent way in which he treats Japanese productions, not to say discriminatory, the fact of censoring Japanese games for nonsense, but respecting the rawness of animal cruelty in The last of us Part II, as well as its sexual scenes, this wants say the great denigration it has towards the free artistic style of Japanese productions.

This stupid Jim Ryan has made dire decisions, launching the ps5 console in times of pandemic where not only does it not have games that sell consoles, but there are also no Next-Gen productions, and the limited availability of consoles that exist.

Poor hardware quality on PS5 where there have been problems with yellow cases on some models or freezes.

Total repudiation of this person for his foolish decisions
I don't like Jim Ryan but come on now, most of the things you attribute to him are not even his fault. The violence of the animals on TLOU2, the fallen of the Japanese home console market how the fuck to be his responsibility? Oh he shouldn't release ps5 because of the pandemic? Are you fucking insane? Can you imagine the disaster for Sony financially? You should accuse him to spread the pandemic to the world why not, following your logic

Last edited:

Rikkori

Jimmy is all about the cashola, because Sony is all about the cashola. I don't know why people expect better from Playstation, have you not seen what happened to Sony's other brands/divisions like Xperia, Vaio etc? They're just a rotten corporation (but I repeat myself), and it will only go one way because that's the way the system is set up.

Then again, if games like the ones from Sony JP have value then they will have no issue securing funding for more, either private or crowdfunded. The sad reality is that they're probably too niche & the amount of people that care for them & would pay is too small; or perhaps the people in question's demands were too high. Hence they got let go.

It's sad but y'know, welcome to life - there's no such thing as a free lunch. You gotta earn your keep.

Entroyp

Playstation is better than ever now. I don’t know why would anyone who owns one complain about a powerful machine sold at a magnificent price and with lots of games to chose from.

On the other hand we have gaming site giving awards (as a joke I’m sure) to people that have never contributed anything to gaming but having its customers playing the waiting game for a decade.

Last edited:
Hold your pitchforks until Sony announces all its exclusives will be coming to PC.

The salt will be glorious.
I think there is a possibility, but IF that happens then they will be no better off then Microsoft because imho that’s one of the factors that truly destroyed the XBOX brand. If it ever comes down to that, the PlayStation brand will be damaged. There’s a reason why the Switch is still arguably the most desired console in the world after near 4 years. Exclusives, brand recognition and unique experiences.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Well that's one of reason why:
1. Days's gone is one of the lowest rated first party game in MC
2. No marketing at all from SIE
3. 2/3 main creative role leave Bend Studio after game's released
4. I strongly doubt there will be sequel for this
5. Well if you scratch the straw deeper enough until the bottom, you will always find the exception like this one
That game got plenty of marketing. They ran that CGI ad on ESPN all the time around launch. They even setup PlayStation head quarters with the days gone bear

Nickolaidas

Banned
I think there is a possibility, but IF that happens then they will be no better off then Microsoft because imho that’s one of the factors that truly destroyed the XBOX brand. If it ever comes down to that, the PlayStation brand will be damaged. There’s a reason why the Switch is still arguably the most desired console in the world after near 4 years. Exclusives, brand recognition and unique experiences.
You know ... I thought about it? And I think that's debatable.

X1 didn't fail because of its games coming to PC - IMO - but because they had that disastrous TV TV TV / DRM DRM DRM launch. Plus it was pricier than the PS4, and less powerful. All those factors were the deciding reasons it fared worse than the PS4. Plus, less 1st party games.

I recently decided to go all PC and forfeit consoles completely except via emulation. I firmly believe that by the end of this generation, all 1st party PS5 games will be also available to the PC (who by then will have the specs necessary to all but obliterate the PS5's SSD advantage).

Need to update my avatar ...

Pejo

Good. Go where the audience are. Give me more larger and industry leading games sony. Thanks.
Your avatar being Cyberpunk kinda shows that you're willing to lap up whatever garbage corps and journos tell you to, so I guess this answer makes sense?

John Day

Funny some people think Jim Ryan truly decides everything at Sony.

These people just follow the markets. If something sells shit, they make less of that and more of whatever sells more.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
I think sony need to sack jim ryan and hire VGC’s exec of the year instead.

I don't think Phil would be a good fit for Playstation. If he was in charge of playstation he would make it worse. The brand definitely doesn't need someone like him. Heck Jim is much better for the brand than Phil is. That's mostly due to how different the corporate culture and gaming philosophy is between the two brands.

You know ... I thought about it? And I think that's debatable.

X1 didn't fail because of its games coming to PC - IMO - but because they had that disastrous TV TV TV / DRM DRM DRM launch. Plus it was pricier than the PS4, and less powerful. All those factors were the deciding reasons it fared worse than the PS4. Plus, less 1st party games.

I recently decided to go all PC and forfeit consoles completely except via emulation. I firmly believe that by the end of this generation, all 1st party PS5 games will be also available to the PC (who by then will have the specs necessary to all but obliterate the PS5's SSD advantage).

Need to update my avatar ...

I do agree with that and the disastrous X1 unveiling surely did contribute greatly to the console’s current position. I think the first party games coming to PC was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
PS2 is the most successful they been actually.
Hardware units yes, but pure software profits, AAA first party sales, PSN sales, PSNOW. VR.....PS4 was a pure money making machine for Sony......
Maybe the OP and everyone that agreed with him should make their research first before blaming him for random decision that happened before he was even there. Like Google it.

The brand is stronger than ever now so I think he's doing a good job.

Other ocean is AAAA? Never heard about them until now. What blockbuster they did?
Other Ocean is a C tier studio mostly making ports of games.......They botched the remaster of USF4 on PS4 early this gen and they fixed it after lots of fan outrage.....They are no AAA, far less AAAA....

reptilex

Banned
The fact that OP has more likes and agreements, and yet people with the stooge fanboy syndrome will be in denial, shows the truth of the situation...exactly like the OG Xbox, then the PS3, the Wii U, the Xbox One...every generation has it's future failing iteration being given out by where the degenerates in denial can be found.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Medievipffffhahahahahahahaha

Medievil was a budget remake from a small studio.

You need to lie down I think. I'll pray for you.

Other Ocean is a C tier studio mostly making ports of games.......They botched the remaster of USF4 on PS4 early this gen and they fixed it after lots of fan outrage.....They are no AAA, far less AAAA....

Yeah I think he was confused and he lost his point. He'll come back stronger. I believe in him.

Outrunner

"Censorship" affects only niche games that only sexually frustrated morons, who see "SJW" agenda on everything they don't like, play.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I do agree with that and the disastrous X1 unveiling surely did contribute greatly to the console’s current position. I think the first party games coming to PC was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.
I don't personally think that Sony releasing its 1st party games will be as catastrophic in terms of sales as some PS fans like to believe.

PlayStation will keep on having its PS+ subscription, which will allow subscribers to have better prices in deals, online play and free games every month. Also, the ability to play 1st party games with a machine which will cost 400 bucks.

People who don't want to spend more on a game machine won't suddenly fork out 2,000 dollars/euros in order to NOT buy a PS5. Doesn't make sense for them.

Sure, Sony will lose a console purchase from a PC Master Race gamer who would be forced to fork out 400 bucks in order to play Bloodborne, but how many gamers are those? A thousand? Ten thousand? How many more PC gamers would finance Sony by having Bloodborne available on Steam?

I think Sony is doing the math, and are figuring out that multiplatform will be more profitable to them than console-only. A few twitter videos of people smashing their furniture and a few dozen of retarded manchildren threatening Sony execs in social media is a small price to pay.

I think Horizon is Sony testing the waters and seeing how many sales they'll get by getting their 1st party exclusives available to the PC.

Astorian

he has completely destroyed such a wonderful studio as Japan Studio
What wonderful studio? Their best output the past decade came from the Astro Bot team, everything else have been mediocre or they were supporting another studio.

Sultan711

Neo Member
Demon’s Souls is 100% a console seller, it is easily the best game I’ve played this year and even after I got the platinum I felt like I wanted to play it even more

Azurro

Banned
Alright, time to attract personal insults by a whose who of celebrity gaf posters once again.

I'm sorry but imo a stinking chunk of your post is a pile of bullshit. I'm so uninterested in all your fucking innuendo about "SJW" ruining games.. I'm sick of all the triggered opinions held by the hardasses and edgelords here.. duke nukem was a shitter, more offensive, more sexually obvious character than anyone in fucking TLOU2, to name just one.

If i have to choose between a world of wankers who think Duke is a god amongst men and TLOU2 is a catastrophe of minority rights getting a fair say, and a world where people just don't give a shit about perfectly fun IPs reflecting the growing slice of the public consciousness certain minorities are claiming, I'll choose the second world just so i wouldn't have to hear all this repetitive copy paste acronym laden bullshit coming from you thindicks.

You guys wanna be critical of Ryan? I AGREE WITH YOU, i do agree that a lot of games are increasingly Western - they're great fun, just not so culturally distinct anymore - and losing the creator of Soulsborne is really stupid.

But don't fucking drip your triggered intolerant ignorant snot in my Christmas pudding.

Peace out.

Wow, you managed to be even more obnoxious than OP. Well done. Have you chosen a gender yet? Or do you change it every morning? :p

Humdinger

First of all, Japan is Playstation 4's second biggest single country market after the United States, in terms of units sold. So, Sony consoles aren't dead in Japan, let alone consoles in general.

I know you said "country," not region, but your post caused me to look up the stats. Here they are, by region, for PS4.

By millions of sales, as of Sept. 2020:

Europe 47 m.
N. America 37 m.
RotW 20 m.
Japan 9 m.

So Japan is roughly 8% of their sales.

Last edited:

Duchess

Oof. How times have changed.

I remember reading somewhere that the younger population have the time to play games, but don't have the money to buy them. The older population have the money to afford them, but not the time to play them.

Apparently, that's why the Switch became so popular, as it hit that middle ground.

Reactions: Isa

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is some bizarre drunken drivel. Playstation is a huge success and much of that is now due to their cinematic games.
But since they don't cater to your desires the people who drove them in the direction of great financial success are assholes? Sure. And when 1 middle manager leaves a studio it has been flushed down the toilet? Sure again. And of course, if you don't like the story and that story has some minority in it, then it is SJW bullshit agenda that ruined it, not just a story that some liked and others didn't.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They still make the best AAA single player games in the industry. So I don't really get the problem. Fewer unsuccessful Japanese titles? Sure, I guess. But it's not like Japan Studio ever had high output.

Aidah

I know you said "country," not region, but your post caused me to look up the stats. Here they are, by region, for PS4.

By millions of sales, as of Sept. 2020:

Europe 47 m.
N. America 37 m.
RotW 20 m.
Japan 9 m.

Yes, Country comparison. It's United States (with a huge lead), then Japan, then Germany, then United Kingdom. Data is about a year old.

Playstation used to have nice selection of both western and Japanese first party games, its what made it much more attractive choice compare to Xbox.
This.
Sony used to be pretty well balanced, but I always chose PlayStation because it was the home for Japanese games.

From a business aspect I get the move Sony seems to be making with the western focus. Stuff like The Last of Us 2, God of War, and Spiderman sell way more then stuff like Gravity Rush (Gravity Rush/Daze is better then every western Sony game though. Plus on top of that you have Japan which is practically all Nintendo at this point because the Switch is the perfect console for Japan. I get why Sony would move to a more Western focus because they are a business and businesses exist to make money.

But this move is what has gotten me to start moving towards PC as my main platform. More and more Japanese games come to PC all the time, and you get less censorship on PC as well. One of the other big things for me is how easy refunds are on Steam, and if I'm on the fence about a game or unsure how it will run then I can play it for up to 2 hours and change my mind.

Unknown?

This.
Sony used to be pretty well balanced, but I always chose PlayStation because it was the home for Japanese games.

From a business aspect I get the move Sony seems to be making with the western focus. Stuff like The Last of Us 2, God of War, and Spiderman sell way more then stuff like Gravity Rush (Gravity Rush/Daze is better then every western Sony game though. Plus on top of that you have Japan which is practically all Nintendo at this point because the Switch is the perfect console for Japan. I get why Sony would move to a more Western focus because they are a business and businesses exist to make money.

But this move is what has gotten me to start moving towards PC as my main platform. More and more Japanese games come to PC all the time, and you get less censorship on PC as well. One of the other big things for me is how easy refunds are on Steam, and if I'm on the fence about a game or unsure how it will run then I can play it for up to 2 hours and change my mind.
It still has a nice mix but people don't count games that aren't AAA and 90+ metacritic for some reason. Japan Studio put out a lot of smaller games/collaborations on PS4.

Isa

I'm indifferent on Jim Ryan, as he's clearly a flip-flopping corporate exec that just happens to bring a bit of odd socially awkward moments to his social appearances. I do agree with the OP that PS has been losing its original identity and appeal. I think its wrong to attribute the directional and cultural shift to just one person, clearly this is something groups of people, whether focus, investor or otherwise have decided to implement. Their western heavy cinematic approach happens to have earned them a sizable market and reputation, primarily on gfx, story and acting. I respect that and is something I used to want, but I miss the (ha!)diversity their older output would yield.

I miss the more even balance Sony published games would deliver across regional styles. It is great still having access to a decent Japanese output, and Sony still has good deals with 2nd/3rd party devs and pubs to release exclusives such as Nioh 2. I'm not keen on the timed deals though, either commit or don't bother. For me the PS4 was nearly a flawless gen save for the 3/4ths decision to start censoring certain games. For a good year and some change I main'd my Switch and PC plus Xbox and my friends did the same. It really soured me on PS for a while, coming from a fan of them since the very beginning. I miss the old guard at Sony. I'm not keen on the direction their studios like Naughty Dog are going, so much so that I'll never buy another game of theirs until I get good word of mouth from people I trust.

I'm not as keen on sheer power and tech-specs as I used to be. I prefer games with artistic style. Despite MH World looking great I'm pretty damn excited for Rise and Stories 2. I've grown tired of Sony's first party output being so reliant on that fake depth Ubisoft games tend to have, faux rpg elements that try to keep gamers glued when those same abilities used to be regular or unlocked. I wish they had their edge back, apart from ND trying to edgelord their stories, the rest like GG and Horizon was utterly trite and boring with no character which is a shame, I'd like to see Aloy be more well anything really. The ultimate corpo creation meant to not offend the largest demographics to best retain an audience. The whole thing was ultra sterile despite the pretty exterior.

Its natural that as a large business they are going to invest it what's proven to work, and of course changes will start to alienate older fans while new products and techniques will continue to attract a new audience. Ultimately its on us individually whether we want to continue to invest in their products and ecosystems. For me it was worth it, PS5 presents a great value in hardware for the price, but I personally am not that excited for their first party line-up save for R&C and GT7. I'll play the others sure, I like to give everything a fair chance. But my most anticipated games for 2021/22 are almost all 3rd party or from their competitors which could make me drift to other platforms as my main. Just one person sure, but that inner circle of friends I mentioned earlier has little to no interest in PS5 for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom