• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and the denigration of Playstation.

Keihart

This has likely more to do with how the California HQ has been operating and calling the shots. I'm willing to bet that they (Japan studio) kept throwing pitches for those funky and quirky games, that they're known for, only to get rejected repeatedly for lacking some degree of universal appeal. Only games like Gravity Rush managed to slip through because it fit the mold they're interested in. The new HQ management is likely more interested in recreating the success of the original TLOU than anything. Most of their latest output have tried to replicate its success in some fashion.

Not to mention the western branches did a terrible job promoting and marketing of their games. They barely got any significant exposure outside a trailer or maybe a montage reel.
That is very much confirmed if you listen carefully to Keichiro Toyama in his Bokeh studio video and his interviews after Gravity Rush 2, dude repeatedly talked about wanting to do a horror game next and then in the Bokeh studio video you have him complaining how there isn't much space to the kind of games he wants to make where he used to work and how he is doing a horror game now, full Kappa honestly. There is probably some Siren pitches rejected somewhere.

The start of this video is amazing, Jim knows how to suck dick and get promotions.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Sony going AAA only is so boring. They've also seemingly abandoned the "Playstation loves indies" sentiment that was so prevalent in the first half of the PS4 lifecycle. Hopefully this blows up in their collective faces spectacularly and changes are made.

Freeman76

Current direction of cutting AA gaming and going all in on blockbuster AAA games seems like his idea.

You mean Phil "I have unlimited funds and I still can't deliver single good game for my new console launch" Spencer?

Even if I don't like Jim Ryan decisions it's pretty obvious which one of them is more competent and succesfull.
If you cant see what a huge change Spencer has made you are clearly a Sony drone with no idea of leadership or marketing.

Sony going AAA only is so boring. They've also seemingly abandoned the "Playstation loves indies" sentiment that was so prevalent in the first half of the PS4 lifecycle. Hopefully this blows up in their collective faces spectacularly and changes are made.
Returnal, kena, sackboy adventures, destruction all stars are AA. There are plenty of indies... such ignorant console war post. Omg 😆

Bryank75

Banned
Realistically, Sony doesn't have the resources to make a $4B+ purchase.
Why not? They have over 20 billion invested in a single company right now (M3 inc) , they own 34% of it.... They also have 6.5% of BiliBili, which is worth a few billion alone.

They also have another 24.6 billion in cash or equivalents and barely any debt..... all in all they could raise 80-100 billion in funds and still use stock to go beyond that.

This whole idea that Sony has no money is terribly ignorant and mostly a myth perpetuated by Xbox fans.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
I can't take this seriously when PS5 has a sizeable amount of AAA games that not only get released on time but also:
- Consistently take 90+ scores
- Give their studios freedom to take chances (HZD, GoT, now: Returnal)
- Promote select AA games: Oddworld, Kena, DAS, Bugsnax etc.

Just cause Microsoft is trying to compete by drowning Gamepass with AA games it doesn't make PS5 strategy any worse. I'm yet to see Jim Ryan do something bad for the brand. Oh, and while Japan Studio did release some quirky things - most of their stuff was far too niche so I don't see the need to cry over their demise. Instead PS has FF7 Remake and FF16 exclusive. Maybe they will eventually invest in a big publisher but MS needs to start releasing good AAA games first.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wouldn’t go as far as some in this thread have, but it’s definitely clear where PlayStation are heading; Main focus on narrative driven, often linear games, targeted at Western audiences. Inclusion of social issues and political themes is not something I have any interest in when trying to relax with a game, in fact, it turns me off completely.

They’re also cutting back on the ‘fat’ that doesn’t sell gang busters. The issue is that these smaller games, combined with the bigger games, are what made PS a worthwhile brand. Third party partnerships don’t cut it and aren’t sustainable, just look at Xbox in the 360 era for proof.

It’s difficult to reverse a strategic direction like this.

When I boil down what I really enjoyed playing on my PS4, I’m left with; Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian.

6 huge games and 2 niche ones.

It’s not exactly amazing for me, considering Naughty Dog alone produced 4 huge blockbusters in the PS3 era.

People laugh at Xbox on Gaf, but it’s actually the smaller games like Grounded and Minecraft Dungeons that remind me of what Sony used to be all about. It’s not like games like Puppeteer were critical masterpieces (80 MC), but they were really fun games. It’s amazing to me but when I look at both companies currently, MS is the one with the winning strategy. Especially as Sony had it and have let it go.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
On the contrary, they are focusing more on indies. Shu is heading an entire Indie department. He is the reason we are getting partnerships with Indie studios, such as Camouflage (Marvel's Iron Man), Counterplay Games (Godfall), Kena (Ember Lab), Little Devil Inside (Neostream), Disco Elysium (ZA/UM), Fall Guys (Playtonic) and more.

Indies will get more spotlight in the future I believe. The reason it may not be seem as prominent as before because all platforms now support Indies more than they used to, i.e., Nintendo with exclusive partnerships (Hades/Supergiant), Xbox with GamePass (Raji: An Ancient Epic, Spiritfarer, etc.), and Epic Games with acquisitions and partnerships (Oddworld, Fall Guys, etc.)

OrionNebula

I wish this thread would have existed prior to Jim being put in charge.

I mean, Sony, with their 25+ years of experience in gaming, would have had the thorough look into this guy here, instead of just blindly putting him in charge of everything without him having to explain what’s his plan and vision for playstation

Is that what some of you think happened, here?

Or maybe Ryan was the only candidate showing up that day, and Sony had no other option?

If Sony was not agreeing, this wouldn’t happen, period. One guy is not changing 100% of the plan just because they feel like it

I’m all for letting the people with ALL the real details make the real decisions. And that goes to xbox and Ninty as well.
Do you have all the information of their long-term plan? All of them? No?
Then I suggest you don’t take your little opinion as fucking gospel like you know better than people who ran multi-billion companies for more than 2 decades, now

But hey, you and your basic college degree with no experience running a multi-billion company really do know better, I’m sure...

reksveks

Not saying that Sony doesn't have the money to buy a 4bn studio.

The problem I see is that any big buy now typically would facilitate a bidding war including tencent and the other thing is that if they were to buy a company like square enix, they would probably have a change in the view of their platform to fit a multi device view. Square is very much a company that makes their money across pc, mobile and console.

Sony might be advantaged due to the laws in Japan.

I can see bluepoint and those similar size of companies being bought.

Keihart

I wish this thread would have existed prior to Jim being put in charge.

I mean, Sony, with their 25+ years of experience in gaming, would have had the thorough look into this guy here, instead of just blindly putting him in charge of everything without him having to explain what’s his plan and vision for playstation

Is that what some of you think happened, here?

Or maybe Ryan was the only candidate showing up that day, and Sony had no other option?

If Sony was not agreeing, this wouldn’t happen, period. One guy is not changing 100% of the plan just because they feel like it

I’m all for letting the people with ALL the real details make the real decisions. And that goes to xbox and Ninty as well.
Do you have all the information of their long-term plan? All of them? No?
Then I suggest you don’t take your little opinion as fucking gospel like you know better than people who ran multi-billion companies for more than 2 decades, now

But hey, you and your basic college degree with no experience running a multi-billion company really do know better, I’m sure...
I think he showed with a power point to show how money goes up and expenses go down with his plan, and everyone clapped.

OrionNebula

I think he showed with a power point to show how money goes up and expenses go down with his plan, and everyone clapped.
Powerpoint showing is not fucking around. With such a plan, how could everybody at sony’s (including big cheese shareholders) could say no to Ryan

He’s clearly a mole infiltrating, with a mission to bring down the house

Papacheeks

Banned

What? Did we watch the same State of play last month? Is Kena, stray, The pathless, bugsnax which were all part of the June show not get promoted? Bugsnax was a big push for the launch of PS5.

Shue is doing gods work and signing really high quality indie games. Like to know what Bizzare world you live in lol.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Returnal, kena, sackboy adventures, destruction all stars are AA. There are plenty of indies... such ignorant console war post. Omg 😆
On my PS5, I go to the Store, Collections and to the right a big Playstation Indies banner greets me. I never understood the indie complaints, even on PS4 they had a specific section in the store. I remember once upon a time ppl complained there were too many indies in the Plus games of the month...

Browse the store on the PS5 for PS5 games and there are many indies prominently displayed mixed in and right under pre orders for upcoming games.

Is this another situation where ppl want Sony to talk about something more vs reality?

What? Did we watch the same State of play last month? Is Kena, stray, The pathless, bugsnax which were all part of the June show not get promoted? Bugsnax was a big push for the launch of PS5.

Shue is doing gods work and signing really high quality indie games. Like to know what Bizzare world you live in lol.

Some ppl complain just to complain. And at times have no real reason to.

Maybe some ppl legit dont know what indie means.... Another situation where ppl complained the State of Play was shit.....and yet featured indie games....

I cant....

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
On my PS5, I go to the Store, Collections and to the right a big Playstation Indies banner greets me. I never understood the indie complaints, even on PS4 they had a specific section in the store. I remember once upon a time ppl complained there were too many indies in the Plus games of the month...

Browse the store on the PS5 for PS5 games and there are many indies prominently displayed mixed in and right under pre orders for upcoming games.

Is this another situation where ppl want Sony to talk about something more vs reality?

lol, yup.

Like wasn't the last state of play filled with big indie games? Like Knock out city, kena, Sifu, Solar ash all in the first couple minutes of this state of play. SO wtf are people smoking?

mejin

I think he can do some damage to the brand, but he will complete 2 years in the helm of SIE. People had patience with Spencer for example. He took a whole gen to prepare and he is still not ready.

Anyway, the problem is not Jim Ryan per se, but the direction Sony took as a whole. They moved their headquarters to US, Japan is secondary now. So, there is definitely more emphasis on sucess than creativity. More focus on blockbusters than smaller games. Remember when Shu talked about how they worked? 2 or 3 in 10 games banked the whole operation. This is a thing of the past. So, you have less potential flops to have more potential sucesses.

That is very much confirmed if you listen carefully to Keichiro Toyama in his Bokeh studio video and his interviews after Gravity Rush 2, dude repeatedly talked about wanting to do a horror game next and then in the Bokeh studio video you have him complaining how there isn't much space to the kind of games he wants to make where he used to work and how he is doing a horror game now, full Kappa honestly. There is probably some Siren pitches rejected somewhere.

The start of this video is amazing, Jim knows how to suck dick and get promotions.

Great shoutout to Hikikomori media. Underrated Youtuber. He's 10 times more thorough and informed than your average gaming journo. Dude is an actual gamer compared to those folks. That guy doesn't get nearly enough credit for the work he does.

Interfectum

If the acquisition of Bluepoint was intended to be a direct response to MS, then I agree that it would be pathetic. However, I do see value in not letting them get away. I’d make them into my IP partnering studio and maybe give them the opportunity to create an IP if they can grow a little.

I’d love to see WB, if they get the IP with it. I’d have no problem sharing a certain royalty with them if they can get some ownership of the IP on their consoles or some kind of perpetual license based on a one time payment that allowed a mutual option to end the IP agreement at some point.
A direct response would be something like buying SquareEnix.

Honestly Sony does need to respond somehow before everyone buys up all the IP and they are stuck with Uncharted and Ratchet sequels forever.

Bare minimum Sony should be buying Konami IP, BluePoint and Kojima Productions ASAP. They need more studios and IP.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
A direct response would be something like buying SquareEnix.

Honestly Sony does need to respond somehow before everyone buys up all the IP and they are stuck with Uncharted and Ratchet sequels forever.
If I were them... I'd buy NetherRealm if possible on it's own.

Then buy over 51% of Capcom or as much as they can get.

and finally 30-35% of Square.... because the founder of Square owns 20% and other family members and Japanese individuals own fairly large chunks.... it would give influence and protect Square while not costing too much.

If NetherRealm or Capcom didn't work out due to them not wanting to sell, I'd go for Kadokawa.

Interfectum

If I were them... I'd buy NetherRealm if possible on it's own.

Then buy over 51% of Capcom or as much as they can get.

and finally 30-35% of Square.... because the founder of Square owns 20% and other family members and Japanese individuals own fairly large chunks.... it would give influence and protect Square while not costing too much.

If NetherRealm or Capcom didn't work out due to them not wanting to sell, I'd go for Kadokawa.
Yup and ignore Jim Ryan and get PS1-3 BC working. I can't even imagine the level of hype that would bring I you could all of those legacy PS titles on one box. It is such a wasted opportunity and Ryan is an idiot for not doing it sooner. Get genius Cerny to make PS3 BC work. He can do it with the magic of SSD and his semen.

Bryank75

Banned
Yup and ignore Jim Ryan and get PS1-3 BC working. I can't even imagine the level of hype that would bring I you could all of those legacy PS titles on one box. It is such a wasted opportunity and Ryan is an idiot for not doing it sooner. Get genius Cerny to make PS3 BC work. He can do it with the magic of SSD and his semen.
It would be insane, I'd love limited prints of games from past gens too...

I really want to play through all the MGS games and cloud just doesn't feel right to me.

Interfectum

I really want to play through all the MGS games and cloud just doesn't feel right to me.
Imagine doing a Suikoden 1-5 play through on your PS5.

daffy duck masturbation GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

BC is a tough call for many companies because legacy games don't have juicy microtrans. That's why Activision doesn't do it to COD much. A COD4 remaster and a MW2 SP only campaign. That's it. Cut the cord.

There is risk a portion of gamers trend to older games for cheap and stay there and their future spending is gimped on new games and mtx.

Last edited:

The big indieshit games are all being ported to PlayStation though?

Bryank75

Banned
BC is a tough call for many companies because legacy games don't have juicy microtrans. That's why Activision doesn't do it to COD much. A COD4 remaster and a MW2 SP only campaign. That's it. Cut the cord.

There is risk a portion of gamers trend to older games for cheap and stay there and their future spending is gimped on new games and mtx.
Well, I'd like them to invest in something, either the future or the past..... right now all they are doing is taking things away it seems, I dread every weeks news.... TBH
Every week is a nightmare announcement for me.

Interfectum

Feels like free money and viral hype to me. Imagine the amount of people streaming old playthroughs of the PS classics, the amount of people who would buy their favorite games just to have them, etc. I get it for COD as those games pretty much replace each other yearly but they could make some bank and hype with full PlayStation family BC.

Well, I'd like them to invest in something, either the future or the past..... right now all they are doing is taking things away it seems, I dread every weeks news.... TBH

Ah the hyperbole of internet fans. It's always fun to read.

I think a lot of what Sony is doing is smart business but shit for gamers.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Come on, man, cheer up, things aren't nearly as bad.

Granted there is no exciting news lined up for PlayStation as in the other camp. But it's only because MS/Xbox is taking lots of good steps, trying to reach a position where Sony already is, i.e., strong, well-oiled first-party studios that can build high-quality games consistently + a roster of well-revered IPs.

Sony is already there. In fact, MS has yet to prove that they can produce those 85+ and 90+ games. Sony has been doing it in their sleep for the last 5 years.

Clearly the momentum (as far as exciting news go) is with MS and XBox right now. But when (and if) Sony retaliate, PlayStation fans will also have lots of good news. And that stream of good news was only going to come a while after Xbox takes some good steps. Retaliation and planning take some time.

And contrary to common perception here, I'm actually happy with Japan Studio's restructuring. Japan Studio was just not producing anything at all. And if they truly do restructure, we might end up getting 2-4 additional high-quality games this generation. Besides, the organic growth has also led to 5+ new teams. That means at least 5+ games.

The only disappointment would be in the case Sony just doesn't retaliate at all. But I don't think that'll happen. They are already planning an answer for GamePass; I'm sure they also know that the industry is being consolidated, and Bethesda games will no longer be on PS. That's a loss of 10 games this generation that they will prepare an answer for.

The only absolute negative as of now is that they have let go of some of their partners, e.g., supermassive games, RAD, Sega, etc. I hope they strengthen the ties again with some developers and publishers and get going on the acquisition thing. Sony can be too concerned with 'quality' (not really a bad thing though) which is why they don't buy as many studios. They don't want their first-party studios to produce low-quality content. But after they mentioned in their recent financial reports that they will use their current operating profit to do more investments, I have some hope.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont want Sony wasting billions on an acquisition. They need to invest in their existing studios. Create 2-3 teams per studio. Put them on 3 year cycles like Actiivsion does with call of duty. I want a new game from SSM, ND, and Sucker Punch every year.

I see no reason buying studios that are already developing games for the playstation just to spite Xbox owners.

I think KojiPro or some other smaller independent studio like bluepoint would be a good get, but From, Ubisoft, Rocksteady, Rockstar? nah.

Hatsuma

This is so true. He is the opposite of Phil Spencer. Just shows how important good leadership is, even a company as huge as Sony is effected as a whole by poor decisions from one man. Why is nobody challenging this prick?
Ok, I'm not a fan of Jim currently, but if you quantify his success by current metrics, idk how you made that assessment. By Sony's viewpoint, this guy is a helluva leader. PS+ has an insane attach rate. He oversaw and ensured a global launch that exceeded ps4 's launch, during a pandemic. He unfortunately, restructured and trimmed fat of a studio that has been inefficient for over a decade. Hopefully more will happen with studio, but at least it wasn't just cut. This has been done with other studios during ps4 generation for less!

Sony's rarely ever make their moves public. So we really are in the dark. And it seems they've even chose to be more quiet this generation, like Nintendo. So we aren't privy to what Ryan is doing behind the Scenes. Probably the greatest fault most have with Ryan seems to be that he isn't as personable as Spencer or Layden. But that isn't what makes you a leader. Results make you a leader.

Redlancet

Banned
When people post líes like this it so funny

reksveks

When people post líes like this it so funny
I don't know if his point was about internal games, I feel like there is a small reduction in Sony's internally produced or funded AA/indies. I think you can see that internally there is more focus on the AAA tentpole games and then some focus on VR titles.

No numbers to prove that though.

Top Bottom