• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan appointed President of Sony Interactive Entertainment

Kagey K

Banned
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...sony-interactive-entertainment-300793557.html

Sony said:
Sony Corporation and Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that SIE Deputy President Jim Ryan will be appointed President and CEO of SIE effective April 1, 2019. Current SIE President and CEO John (Tsuyoshi) Kodera will dedicate his focus on creating innovative user experiences and further enhancing the network area as Deputy President of SIE. At the same time, Jim Ryan will also assume the role of Representative Director and President of SIE's Japan-based legal entity, Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc., and John Kodera will be its Representative Director and Deputy President. Jim Ryan will report directly to Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO of Sony Corporation.

Jim Ryan said:
"It's a huge honor to be asked to take on the role of President and CEO of SIE. I've seen the PlayStation business grow and change massively since the very early days, and I hope to be able to put that experience to good use in reinforcing the foundations of the Game & Network Service business, and in evolving the entertainment that PlayStation offers to its engaged and passionate community. Working with John and the SIE team around the world, I am committed to strengthening relations with our business partners, and to continuing to provide the ultimate interactive entertainment experiences that make PlayStation the Best Place to Play."

Last edited:
This is the only thing I've ever remembered Jim for:

giphy.gif

Congrats!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Big news, wish we had the inside story

We do.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-r...-of-sony-interactive-entertainment-2019-02-11

Kordera asked for this so he can focus on the Network side of things form the "growing ccompetition and new players entering that arena".

Kordera's history is that of a network infrastructure background I believe.

Comment from John Kodera: "I have been discussing with Yoshida-san the need to drive SIE to the next phase in our rapidly changing business environment, and realize the evolution of the PlayStation platform and further enriching the user experiences made possible through the network, which is an essential value that people expect in the entertainment PlayStation provides. As a result, we have concluded that the best direction is for Jim to take the helm of the overall management of SIE, and for me to spearhead the network area to continue creating innovative services and experiences, where competition continues to intensify with many new players joining the business.

Last edited:

Athena~

Banned
Excuses for no Cross Play:

World: We are getting upset!
Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

Let the age of censorship begins......

zeorhymer

He's been the deputy president. Makes sense that he'll take over full time. Considering how the gaming side of Sony is making money, I would have done the same thing in promoting the guy.

shinkai

Can only hope Jim Ryan has changed his stances on both BC and cross-play. I may never use cross-play but its a important feature now and days, it will definitely be a big component for next gen and if Sony falls behind again in regards to it. It can only spell disaster.

demigod

Did he say anything else dumb? I can't remember which Euro dude it was, France maybe?

Anyways he's probably right about this part. “When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.
As much as I love BC, I can tell you that the only PS2 game I played on PS3 was FF12 and I have a launch 60gb. Sony probably has statistics on how much people actually play BC. Maybe people would be more inclined to play BC like the Xbox One if there were major improvements.

I hope he gets rid of that stupid censorship that's flying around.

CatCouch

I hope this can result in things like the censorship policies no one can define going away. If competition is getting fiercer I can see no benefit in censoring games the competition does not. I really need backwards comparability and no fear of censorship compared to other platforms if I'm going to buy a PS5. I would hate to see the PS5 lose Japanese support for the type of games I bought the system for and refuse to grow in what seems to be pretty important areas like cross play.

odhiex

Congratulations Jim, and good luck.
^
My standard response for anyone who gets promotion.

Bring on the PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the only thing I've ever remembered Jim for:

giphy.gif

Congrats!
So it's this guy.

There's so many Sony execs getting on stage trying to get the limelight, it's tough to figure out who is who.

Good to see Shawn Layden put a stop to it, tell all the others to have a seat, while he seems to get 100% of the spotlight! lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Speaking to Time, Sony's head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan offered the following:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
Can't wait to see if PS5 plays PS4 games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So it's this guy.

There's so many Sony execs getting on stage trying to get the limelight, it's tough to figure out who is who.

Good to see Shawn Layden put a stop to it, tell all the others to have a seat, while he seems to get 100% of the spotlight! lol

What does any of this even mean?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know if he is a good choice or not but he was head of marketing and sales at the time of that interview, of course he is going to spin it in alignment to what he is selling.

Let's wait and see what he brings to the table.
PS Now is all PS2, PS3 and more recently PS4 games. So what he's saying is don't bother playing old PS games on their sub service because they are old?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS Now is all PS2, PS3 and more recently PS4 games. So what he's saying is don't bother playing old PS games on their sub service because they are old?

Why don't you read the original comment about Gran Turismo. So much is taken out of context from that one comment which most people can agree with in the context of that game.

It has nothing to do with PS4 on PS5 which will be a lock.

danielberg

Neophyte
Well lets just hope his "cali" sensibilities dont make the censorship crap worse and that he doesn't fuck up the console PS3 style.

Last edited:
This switch makes total sense in terms of playing to each of their strengths... But typically people arent really thrilled about demotions lol

But he is basically a Sony lifer so maybe he really does care enough about the business as a whole to still be motivated, or maybe they are just reeeeeally incentivizing the shit out of his contract in regards to services growth.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
No it's not, lol.

Lol.

yes its is.

He is responsible for the lack marketing for Gravity rush 2 . ( I wish I was wrong)

Not even was show in a E3 only for 3 minutes.

I can only praise the marketing work that was made of Gravity rush 2 in Japan that managed to be in the Top 1 and left aside Yoshi Woolly World (Incredible for that title of NIntendo in Japan), of course that marketing was done by different people who were competent.

I do not want to imagine the barbarities that he's going to do.

I forbid him to dont mess with Japan Studio and my favorite saga.

Last edited:

Petrae

The chance of wider backwards compatibility next gen just took a substantial hit. The guy who thinks PlayStation and PS2 games look ancient and wonders why anyone would play them isn’t going to be an advocate for bringing them to a new machine.

Too bad.

demigod

The chance of wider backwards compatibility next gen just took a substantial hit. The guy who thinks PlayStation and PS2 games look ancient and wonders why anyone would play them isn’t going to be an advocate for bringing them to a new machine.

Too bad.

Thats not how R&D works. You don’t scrap the HW you’ve been working on just because 1 guy doesn’t like BC.

Backwards comp really is the major part I'll be backing come next gen, if PS ain't got it then I'll be pumping 90% of my cash into xbox.

I've got over 300 digital games on my PS3 that died the other month :( and I don't want to buy new one, if I'd of backed XBOX I'd of been fine.

Shame because Xbox are shit when it comes to their first party :( which im hoping is going to change next gen.

Kagey K

Banned
Thats not how R&D works. You don’t scrap the HW you’ve been working on just because 1 guy doesn’t like BC.
Anything good or bad at this point for the next Playstation is probably almost already written in stone,

I don’t think that Jim gets the credit or hate for the things that happen in the next 2 years (other then he was Vice President.)After that you can lay all the blame at his feet all you like.

Until then we just have to wait and see if it’s a pivot or a keep on coasting situation.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
God damn it sony bring back Phil Harrison!!!

The guy was spin magic at ps3 launch. Love how he said rumble was a last gen feature and the light weight of six axis added to immersion.

He was an amazing Sony rep. Ryan is just okay, don’t know of him creating anything special for PlayStation yet but know he is a good boss and manager.

Phil literally gave Sony media molecule and lbp.

Also Phil was responsible for rub a dub a duck the first psn title !

Only game my sisters loved to play on my 700 Canadian dollar 60gb ps3 I bought 1 month after launch.

Meh at this decision I think Ryan is no leader, just a good guy at keeping employees doing competent work and trusting them very often with decisions even when he disagrees he knows he isn’t a gamer.

Kagey K

Banned
God damn it sony bring back Phil Harrison!!!

The guy was spin magic at ps3 launch. Love how he said rumble was a last gen feature and the light weight of six axis added to immersion.

He was an amazing Sony rep. Ryan is just okay, don’t know of him creating anything special for PlayStation yet but know he is a good boss and manager.

Phil literally gave Sony media molecule and lbp.

Also Phil was responsible for rub a dub a duck the first psn title !

Only game my sisters loved to play on my 700 Canadian dollar 60gb ps3 I bought 1 month after launch.

Meh at this decision I think Ryan is no leader, just a good guy at keeping employees doing competent work and trusting them very often with decisions even when he disagrees he knows he isn’t a gamer.

Isnt Harrison at MS now or did he leave? I thought in 05/06 he was consodered a traitor.

Top Bottom