• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan for TMTPOST: "we don't want games that are OK, we want the best."

Topher

Gold Member
Must be why he was willing to break the bank for Starfield timed exclusivity. They’ve seen a lot more than we have and know the potential.

Brady Bunch K GIF
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

John Wick

When asked whether he was a gamer and what games he enjoyed most in the past year, all he could think to answer for both questions was Ratchet & Clank :messenger_tears_of_joy: This guy is a business suit through and through.

Also, that line about trying to "reach users who like Hollywood movies" doesn't sit right with me. Video games and movies are separate mediums and I don't want to be playing interactive movies with long cutscenes.
The guy is clueless. Clearly he doesn't game. I don't want just Hollywood type movie games. I wish Kaz or Jack were back.

SSfox

The guy is clueless. Clearly he doesn't game. I don't want just Hollywood type movie games. I wish Kaz or Jack were back.
I can't agree more with this. I've just been with SOR4 and X Nightmare DLC that dropped today and what a bless it is, it's one of those games that remind you that an awesome game isn't necessarily about Hollywood super production 300 millions dollars budgets.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

That doesnt explain Deathloop.
Because that's a Microsoft game.

Excited Drama GIF

Uh, no it definitely didn't. It started with Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall, which were both mediocre. Then Infamous: Second Son which was better but not groundbreaking, and Driveclub which was a complete mess at launch. Bloodborne probably started what many consider a "golden era" for PS 1P exclusives but that was 2015, and they still released duds during the next few years (The Tomorrow Children, arguably Days Gone though that's now a bit of a cult favorite).

You're just writing sensationalist fanfiction, when we can look at the facts and see the release history...........Wall of text
mood laughing GIF

Always defending the Playstation costumer, this mediocre games quality are not consumer friendly.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

A new interview with Jim Ryan went live yesterday on TMTPOST - Insider of China Tech and Business, in line with the PS5 entering the Chinese market. Good read.

(...)

(...)

(...)
Jimbo says they have 14 studios. Hmm.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Polyphony, Bend, Housemarque, San Diego, London, Asobi, Media Molecule, and Pixelopus is 13.

Bluepoint makes 14.

kingfey

Banned
Jim my boy, give me rpg games. I know you love story drives games, but its getting stale at this point. I want to get lost in rpg game, like skrym, gtav, the witcher 3. Broaden your portfolio games.

kingfey

Banned
GTAV a RPG? :lollipop_anxious_sweat:
If you dont count doing side missions, Open world, not being forced to play the story, doing whatever you want not an rpg. Then I dont know what to consider GTAV. GTA san Andréa's had the diet impact your gameplay. That is as far as rpg, as it gets.

kingfey

Banned
My main criticism for the game is the cinematic scene. The games atmosphere is great. It makes you super scared, and calculate your ammo efficient. Where it falls is the cinematic scenes. The moments that happens, all tensions goes out of the window, And you are stuck listening to their mumbling, and hoping the f stop it, and let you play the game. That is something I experience on all out of their exclusives on the ps4. Like get to the point, and let the gameplay do the job. Dont let the cinematic ruin the immersion of the game.

Zeroing

Banned
Oh Look, he had a decent interview, I was expecting another meltdown of "Sony is doomed". As with any creative medium you should always aim for the best product, does not mean you will always get the best games. But shows that Sony studios aim for the best they can do and not to half done things for quick cash.

kingfey

Banned
Then you might be interested in some of these exellent "RPGs" too.
Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Horizon Zero Dawn Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

Jin Ok GIF by PlayStation
I own all of them. Spiderman isnt RPG though, as in open world, but it does the job, when you finish a mission, and want to explore that section of the map. the one thing I hate about spiderman, is that message "You are leaving the mission". Like, let me explore the city man. I love the swinging around the city, and I want to do that for a longer period of time, collecting the bags, catching the birds, and taking pictures.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No you can't... If you honestly believe that Metal Gear Solid, FFVII/VIII/IX, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil 3, Dino Crisis and many other games were inferior to what the N64 had... Well, you are just wrong and stupid.

I am not saying that you can't like the N64 games more.. Tastes are subjective, stupidity is not.

*Not calling you stupid, just stating a fact.

According to this (not sure how valid it is) these were the aggregate media GotY winners during the PS1/N64 generation. Keep in mind, that generation was the shortest generation as the Dreamcast launched in 1999, which saw Soul Caliber win a bunch of awards.

GotY 1996: Mario 64
GotY 1997: Goldeneye
GotY 1998: Ocarina of Time

During that stretch, there wasn't a developer/publisher who was on Nintendos level in terms of reputation. PlayStation had the benefit of being friendlier to 3rd parties so they drew a wider variety of games from the larger industry.

The best case for the N64 was that it's best 5-7 games were a step above what Sony had. Certainly a case could be made.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that quantity indeed matters. As does price.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
My main criticism for the game is the cinematic scene. The games atmosphere is great. It makes you super scared, and calculate your ammo efficient. Where it falls is the cinematic scenes. The moments that happens, all tensions goes out of the window, And you are stuck listening to their mumbling, and hoping the f stop it, and let you play the game. That is something I experience on all out of their exclusives on the ps4. Like get to the point, and let the gameplay do the job. Dont let the cinematic ruin the immersion of the game.

ohojLYx.jpg

i mean...

I own all of them. Spiderman isnt RPG though, as in open world, but it does the job, when you finish a mission, and want to explore that section of the map. the one thing I hate about spiderman, is that message "You are leaving the mission". Like, let me explore the city man. I love the swinging around the city, and I want to do that for a longer period of time, collecting the bags, catching the birds, and taking pictures.
Your post was asking more "RPG"s and you brought up GTAV as an example of one.
I gave you games that tick the same boxes as GTAV.
Are they "RPG's or not?

kingfey

Banned

According to this (not sure how valid it is) these were the aggregate media GotY winners during the PS1/N64 generation. Keep in mind, that generation was the shortest generation as the Dreamcast launched in 1999, which saw Soul Caliber win a bunch of awards.

During that stretch, there wasn't a developer/publisher who was on Nintendos level in terms of reputation. PlayStation had the benefit of being friendlier to 3rd parties so they drew a wider variety of games from the larger industry.

The best case for the N64 was that it's best 5-7 games were a step above what Sony had. Certainly a case could be made.

The quality comes from the user base. When you have enough userbase, Your objective will be high quality games. If you dont have enough userbase, your main objective would be games. How many games can you release. The best evidence for this is the ps3 to ps4. yeah, ps3 was bad to make, but it was testing games. Once Sony found out what they were good at, they went fully for the single player experience, and made it high quality as it gets. From killzone to horizon zero down. From god of war platform, to camera behind god of war. Last of us 2 got improved highly. Sucker punch went from infamous to Ghost of tsushima. one of the most beautiful ps4 game to ever made.

As much buggy bethesda games are, The one thing they are great is, the insane details of their world, and how immersion it is. The only one who gets close to them, is Rockstar. Both companies dont have WOW graphics (aside of the new RD2), but their games have rich gameplay, and the insane lore of their games. I havent seen a game, which contains large quantity of books to read, like Skyrim. You can spend 100 hours, reading these books alone. Grand theft auto has the greatest npc, in any game. Their games are like real world. I wont be surprised, If gta6 would be, the best realistic game, same for Skyrim 2.

Devs need to find, what they are good at. Improve it drastically, and one day, you might make insane game. Rocksteady perfected batman. and that gave us Spiderman game from insomniac. Also insomniac improved alot with Spiderman, and made ratchet and clank. The most beautiful ps5 game so far.

kingfey

Banned
ohojLYx.jpg

i mean...
I want to pull the trigger on that one, But I am afraid, I might miss important detail. Done that on 1 game. Struggled alot to progress it. Dropped the game, deleted it. Until someone pointed me, what i needed to do. That is why i dont skip cutscenes these days.

Aion002

Internet Im Out GIF

kingfey

Banned
Your post was asking more "RPG"s and you brought up GTAV as an example of one.
I gave you games that tick the same boxes as GTAV.
Are they "RPG's or not?
They are, like I said. But not fully RPG from Spiderman perspective, I havent played ghost or Horizon ZD, so I cant say anything about them The problem with spiderman, is you are limited to one area. The game doesnt allow you to leave that area. It will bring you back, if you do that. Other than that, it ticks other rpg boxes very well.

Top Bottom