• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan for TMTPOST: "we don't want games that are OK, we want the best."

kingfey

Banned
ZjA52Uw.png
great way to run from discussion. Its not like it will hurt my feelings though. I am enjoying all the 4 console games. So bye, ignoring me.
Leaving Bye Bye GIF by Tkay Maidza

Jimbo says they have 14 studios. Hmm.

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Polyphony, Bend, Housemarque, San Diego, London, Asobi, Media Molecule, and Pixelopus is 13.

Bluepoint makes 14.
You count Nixxes Software? Bluepoint said they were independent.

kingfey

Banned
You count Nixxes Software? Bluepoint said they were independent.

Bluepoint is already a Sony studio. Its matter of time, before they join them. They primarily make PlayStation games. Unless i am living under rock, and missed some of their games on other platform.

Topher

Gold Member
They are, like I said. But not fully RPG from Spiderman perspective, I havent played ghost or Horizon ZD, so I cant say anything about them The problem with spiderman, is you are limited to one area. The game doesnt allow you to leave that area. It will bring you back, if you do that. Other than that, it ticks other rpg boxes very well.

His point was that Spider-Man is not an RPG in the same way GTA V is not an RPG. You are using a description of "doing side missions, Open world, not being forced to play the story, doing whatever you want" to describe an GTA V when that all fits Spider-Man just as well.

They are, like I said. But not fully RPG from Spiderman perspective, I havent played ghost or Horizon ZD, so I cant say anything about them The problem with spiderman, is you are limited to one area. The game doesnt allow you to leave that area. It will bring you back, if you do that. Other than that, it ticks other rpg boxes very well.

GTA V does the same thing when you're in a mission?

kingfey

Banned
His point was that Spider-Man is not an RPG in the same way GTA V is not an RPG. You are using a description of "doing side missions, Open world, not being forced to play the story, doing whatever you want" to describe an GTA V when that all fits Spider-Man just as well.
I said it ticks all the rpg box, except the open world. GTAV is open world, like skyrim. You can leave the mission to do what you want. I cant do that on spiderman, since i am tied to the mission. RPG isnt simply getting rare weapons' or magic. If the game lets you do what you want to do, then that is rpg game, as you can role play the game to yourself, and do what you want to do.

kingfey

Banned
GTA V does the same thing when you're in a mission?
I got a call from lamar. Last thing I did, was drive all around the city. Never went to him. I got a call in spiderman, and got the direction. Tried to go to different areas, game brought me back. Only thing you cant leave in gta is the timed mission, like chasing. Other that, you can say f it, and do what you want to do.

I got a call from lamar. Last thing I did, was drive all around the city. Never went to him. I got a call in spiderman, and got the direction. Tried to go to different areas, game brought me back. Only thing you cant leave in gta is the timed mission, like chasing. Other that, you can say f it, and do what you want to do.

It's the same thing for both

If you don't activate a mission when it's available, then you can the roam the open world as much as you want

Okay then why dont you just go by Metacritic and call it a day

Because that isn't a perfect metric to go by either? Some of the best games ever made (IMO) don't even have Metacritic entries.

TLOU2 has a 90+ MC and won over 300 GOTY awards, far more than any other game ever. Get out of here clown

It was also one of the most divisive games to come out the past decade in terms of the fans. I saw tons of regular streamers just outright hate the game by the time they were done with it, and they were oblivious to the leaks.

You can't also pretend that some of the praise for the game from media is in media using it as a proxy against what they consider troublesome gamers or "bigoted" fans (except most of the people who didn't enjoy the story had valid reasons for not liking it).

That's awesome. This is exactly what they did with Japan Studio.

We don't talk about Japan Studio, that never happened!

Reaction Surprised GIF

Eek, it must be really hard for you to pick up a PlayStation controller to play games on it.

Well I wouldn't mind if the sticks were asymmetric and they haven't had the best ergonomics for the longest time and the rubber grip for the analog sticks rubbed off way too quick with the PS3 & PS4 ones but other than that, I'm good.

Who is the hottie in the gif btw?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
My main criticism for the game is the cinematic scene. The games atmosphere is great. It makes you super scared, and calculate your ammo efficient. Where it falls is the cinematic scenes. The moments that happens, all tensions goes out of the window, And you are stuck listening to their mumbling, and hoping the f stop it, and let you play the game. That is something I experience on all out of their exclusives on the ps4. Like get to the point, and let the gameplay do the job. Dont let the cinematic ruin the immersion of the game.
The cinematic cutscenes is why people love tlou.....

Besides, there is a reason why they called a "cutscene". You want a game full of action from start till the end? We need proper flow in gaming, constant action would burn out alot of people.

Topher

Gold Member
I said it ticks all the rpg box, except the open world. GTAV is open world, like skyrim. You can leave the mission to do what you want. I cant do that on spiderman, since i am tied to the mission. RPG isnt simply getting rare weapons' or magic. If the game lets you do what you want to do, then that is rpg game, as you can role play the game to yourself, and do what you want to do.

That's not what makes a game an RPG at all. You are equating open world and RPG. There are very different aspects of both and you are conflating them. Regardless, some missions in GTA V require you to stay in the area or they will fail. What you are talking about is deciding to put off another segment in an over-arching story mission. Just about every open world game there is, including Spider-Man, allows you to do that.

kingfey

Banned
The cinematic cutscenes is why people love tlou.....

Besides, there is a reason why they called a "cutscene". You want a game full of action from start till the end? We need proper flow in gaming, constant action would burn out alot of people.
I hate full action games. I like blend like syrim, and Witcher 3. making the cinematic in-game action. and use full cutscene on important missions. This way, the player will be fully engaged in the game. I dropped out yakuza like a dragon, because I didnt use the controller for like 5-10min. I just watched them talk, and talk. The turn based was good, especially the dodge mechanics. But i am not gonna sit down around and watch cutscenes for that long. They arent my cup of tea.

noise36

Sony's exclusive output is overrated, they have a few great games which make people forget about all that games that are not special. You know the ones, they get threads about how they are better than the review scores, or the ones that dont get much of a thread at all and rarely talked about.

Last edited:

yurinka

Everything Jimbo says there makes sense.

That doesnt explain Deathloop.
Sony only paid for its timed exclusive. MS bought their studio, their IP and their whole company group.

That's awesome. This is exactly what they did with Japan Studio.
Yes, Sony did this with Japan Studio. But after several decades and dozens of games they proved to don't be able to produce a hit and instead becoming a money sink year after year, they did what made sense: to fire a lot of people downsizing the studio around their best team, rebrand the studio under a new leadership and reboot it. They provide creative freedom but aren't a charity, they are a company so want to have profits.

Ehh. Didn't they released Destruction All Stars?
Yes, it's what happens when they invest in a ton of games, a lot of new IPs from many genres. Some may suck. But at the same time, many other ones turn out to be great games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's not what makes a game an RPG at all. You are equating open world and RPG. There are very different aspects of both and you are conflating them. Regardless, some missions in GTA V require you to stay in the area or they will fail. What you are talking about is deciding to put off another segment in an over-arching story mission. Just about every open world game there is, including Spider-Man, allows you to do that.
Those required missions in gtav are annoying sometimes. You are so close to completing the mission. then you fail, and you have to restart it again.

farmerboy

"this game stimulated my specific emotions and made me happy"

That is some robotic shit right there and as I just wrote a couple of days ago how I miss the good old Playstation with Shuhei and pals.

It feels like his answers were translated to Chinese and then translated back to English.

The guy is clueless. Clearly he doesn't game. I don't want just Hollywood type movie games. I wish Kaz or Jack were back.

i don't have an issue with Hollywood-style games if they're done well. Ghosts of Tsushima does it very well. TLOU2, despite all the supposed accolades, does it very poorly.

Contrived set-ups, questionable stereotypes, poor narrative structure and pacing (so many damn flashbacks), emotional manipulation to prop one character up (Abby) by ruining another (Ellie). Oh, and barely any innovation on game mechanics from the prequel several years earlier.

Excited Drama GIF

mood laughing GIF

Always defending the Playstation costumer, this mediocre games quality are not consumer friendly.

But at least it was unique. We'll probably never get a Tomorrow Children sequel because it's not a "Hollywood" style blockbuster and it probably won't fit what they want in a MP-centric game either.

1P-wise that side of Sony seems done unless they push that stuff for PS Now in the near future but that'd require a big shift in their product strategy and business model.

According to this (not sure how valid it is) these were the aggregate media GotY winners during the PS1/N64 generation. Keep in mind, that generation was the shortest generation as the Dreamcast launched in 1999, which saw Soul Caliber win a bunch of awards.

GotY 1996: Mario 64
GotY 1997: Goldeneye
GotY 1998: Ocarina of Time

During that stretch, there wasn't a developer/publisher who was on Nintendos level in terms of reputation. PlayStation had the benefit of being friendlier to 3rd parties so they drew a wider variety of games from the larger industry.

The best case for the N64 was that it's best 5-7 games were a step above what Sony had. Certainly a case could be made.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that quantity indeed matters. As does price.

Some people probably do sleep on the N64 (Saturn even moreso IMO) a bit much, and Mario 64 was such a big step forward it deserved its GOTY without question, I do think it's worth keeping in mind that not every game holds up well with time passing by.

Goldeneye for example, is just frankly 100% outdated today and looking back at some other FPSes like Exhumed/Powerslave on the Saturn, was outdated even in its day when it came to level design for a FPS on console. I think something like Goldeneye benefited a lot from brand name at the time and the four-player couch multiplayer, but it's ass-choppy nowadays and doesn't have a lot of unique creative elements to help it stand out in a modern context.

Meanwhile a game like Parasite Eve maybe didn't win any big awards, but it holds up a lot better than a Goldeneye these days because the combination of survival-horror and JRPG is still pretty rare to this day, especially with as well-done a story as Parasite Eve's. It even innovated some with the controls in a way we wouldn't see for Resident Evil until a lot later.

That's why IMO, GOTY awards and a lot of these "Best 50 Games Ever" or whatever lists places like IGN make are not worth very much to me; a lot of them are based on popularity of the IP or amount of sales, usually both, or how "fresh" are things the game did for its time without considering if they were even done well or hold up today. They also tend to have a bias of focusing on only the more known systems and IPs, so a lot of genuinely amazing gems from lesser-known devs or platforms (including arcade and PC) get left out, especially if they're pre-PS2 era and don't come from a big-name developer like Nintendo, Square-Enix, or Capcom.

Last edited:
But at least it was unique. We'll probably never get a Tomorrow Children sequel because it's not a "Hollywood" style blockbuster and it probably won't fit what they want in a MP-centric game either.

1P-wise that side of Sony seems done unless they push that stuff for PS Now in the near future but that'd require a big shift in their product strategy and business model.

A unique looking turd is still a turd

ZehDon

In terms of all exclusives, I think Jimbo's off the mark. With PlayStation charging more for their games, the bar is high, and some of their exclusives just aren't meeting it. Destruction All Stars and Godfall are the obvious examples; AUD$125.00 for sub-par games isn't really something Sony can get away with for too long before fans stop buying games on release day. In terms of just their first party exclusives, I think Jimbo's pretty much on point. PlayStation Studios work hard on their games, and they deliver pretty good quality across the board. I've grown tired of the Sony Formula® myself, but there's no denying their studios are pumping out high quality, AAA games that their fans love.

The problem I see is one we've already discussed around here: Sony's myopic focus on blockbusters and metacritic scores. They'll never make a Sea of Thieves, a Zelda, a Starfield, a Gears Tactics, an Animal Crossing, a Halo; there's a reason nearly all of their studios are making these cinematic third person action-adventure games: it proved incredibly successful in the past and so they've doubled down. Over the course of the PS4 generation their studios have nearly all migrated towards making a fairly specific type of game. Is it a smart move to put all your eggs in one basket? It'll be Jimbo's legacy one way or the other.

sainraja

I own all of them. Spiderman isnt RPG though, as in open world, but it does the job, when you finish a mission, and want to explore that section of the map. the one thing I hate about spiderman, is that message "You are leaving the mission". Like, let me explore the city man. I love the swinging around the city, and I want to do that for a longer period of time, collecting the bags, catching the birds, and taking pictures.
That prompt only displays when you start a mission. If you just want to explore, don't jump into a mission. lol

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The problem I see is one we've already discussed around here: Sony's myopic focus on blockbusters and metacritic scores. They'll never make a Sea of Thieves, a Zelda, a Starfield, a Gears Tactics, an Animal Crossing, a Halo; there's a reason nearly all of their studios are making these cinematic third person action-adventure games: it proved incredibly successful in the past and so they've doubled down. Over the course of the PS4 generation their studios have nearly all migrated towards making a fairly specific type of game. Is it a smart move to put all your eggs in one basket? It'll be Jimbo's legacy one way or the other.

The majority of Sonys studios are now working on multiplayer projects. Jim Ryan / Herman Hulst seem to understand multiplayer and the future of gaming far more than PS4 era Sony leadership.

Top Bottom